The Jacksons to perform for the first time since their brother's death, with Japanese-American R&B star AI taking his place
Michaels brothers are to reunite for their first performances since the singer's death, with a Japanese-American pop star filling in for the late King of Pop. Jackie, Tito, Marlon and Jermaine will appear together in Tokyo on 14-15 October 2011, headlining two tribute concerts with R&B star AI. If successful, the shows could be spun into a world tour.

"I thought [it] would be great to sing and dance with the people who were around Michael, especially his family," AI explained to CNNgo. The 29-year-old is a huge star in Japan: her latest album features cameos by Snoop Dogg, Boyz II Men and K'Naan. However, AI is not just set to perform with the Jacksons at the tribute show – she is also scheduled to record new songs with them in early 2011. "We haven't talked about the kind of song yet, whether it will be for Michael or about us," AI said, "but we think it will be nice to have one of the producers that Michael used to work with."

This isn't the first time the Jacksons have planned a tribute concert. Shortly after Michael's death, an event was proposed for late August 2009 – around what would have been the singer's 51st birthday. The show, suggested for the O2 arena, never materialised. "We didn't want to rush [it]," sources said at the time. Shortly afterwards, Jermaine Jackson announced a massive concert in Vienna, with scheduled performances by Akon, Mary J Blige and Natalie Cole. This was cancelled less than a month later. Instead, Jermaine claimed, the Jacksons were planning a concert at Wembley stadium in June 2010. This also failed to materialise.

Given this unreliable precedent, it is perhaps unsurprising that further details of the Tokyo concerts have yet to emerge. No venue has been announced, nor has a promoter come forward. The Japanese channel Music On TV is speculated – but not confirmed – to be involved.

Michael's mother is reportedly supporting the concerts, citing her son's fondness for Japan. "[It] was one of Michael's favourite places in the world," Katherine Jackson wrote in a letter. "He loved visiting [this] beautiful country and always felt much love from his millions of fans. By means of having Michael's brothers headlining the Tokyo tribute it would provide his followers with a true and complete perspective of Michael's artistic career and life as a brother."

Although only two dates have been announced, CNNgo reports that the tribute shows featuring AI will tour around the world with special guests. "I feel like all of this happened because I liked Michael," AI said. "He never knew me but maybe he felt me and thought 'somebody really loved me'. I feel like it all happened for a reason."
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jackie tweeted yesterday saying this "rumor" is false.

JackieJackson5 Jackie Jackson
The rumors about #TheJacksons touring in #Japan are false....
20 hours ago Favorite Retweet Reply

And then to drive the point home he retweeted this...

JackieJackson5 Jackie Jackson
JackieJackson5 :) RT @questlove @JackieJackson5 rats. it just hit me that my source was The Guardian UK. sorry about that.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  Don't beLIEve anything you read!   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal