~Souza~Topic starter

Rabbi's pitch to pope: Use family dinners to defuse abuse crisis
By Dan Gilgoff, CNN

Rabbi Shmuley Boteach pitched his family dinners initiative to the pope as a way to defuse the sex abuse crisis.

(CNN) -- A rabbi walks into St. Peter's Square, meets the pope, and tells the Holy Father that one way to defuse the sex abuse scandal plaguing the church is for the Vatican to begin promoting a secular version of Shabbat dinner, the traditional Jewish Friday meal.

It's no joke.

A prominent American rabbi, Shmuley Boteach, spoke briefly to Pope Benedict XVI on Wednesday about encouraging parents to eat dinner with their children as a way for the Vatican to re-establish its pro-family image, which has been battered by the priest sex abuse scandal, Boteach said.

The brief exchange came after the pope's regular Wednesday address at the Vatican, during which Boteach was seated on a dais along with other Vatican guests. When he met Benedict on a receiving line afterward, Boteach pitched him on his family dinner initiative, called "Turn Friday Night into Family Night."
"I said ... 'If the church embraces an initiative like this, which is positive, it could put a lot of the scandal behind it,'" Boteach said, recounting his chat with the pope. "People will see the church doesn't just speak about opposition to gay marriage and abortion.'"

The pope appeared to be receptive to the idea, Boteach said. " 'We have to work together on this, we have to work together on this,' " Boteach quoted the pope as saying. But, Benedict did not make a firm commitment to the family dinner initiative, the rabbi said.

The Vatican was not immediately available for comment.

"The church is now perceived as not being a champion of families because the scandal has hit with so much force," Boteach said. "I came (to the Vatican) as a friend and as someone who is critical as well. Because my criticism is real, the church knows my friendship is real."

Following his talk with the pope, Boteach said he was invited to meet with Cardinal Walter Kasper, who spearheads the Vatican's Jewish outreach, with whom Boteach fleshed out his criticism of the church's response to priestly sex abuse.

Boteach was invited to the Vatican to look over documents related to Pope Pius XII, the Holocaust-era church leader who Benedict has signaled he would like to move closer to sainthood.
The rabbi has been a spiritual adviser to Michael Jackson, who died last year, and a frequent guest on Oprah Winfrey's talk show.

A number of recent Vatican actions have caused tensions between the church and the Jewish world. Last year, Benedict lifted the excommunication of a Holocaust-denying bishop, Richard Williamson.
Earlier this month, the pope's personal preacher compared the fury over sexual abuse within the church to anti-Semitism, though the priest, the Rev. Raniero Cantalamessa, later apologized.

But Boteach has been impressed by the Vatican's overtures to him and to other Jewish leaders. "I thinks he's a friend to the Jews -- a very close friend," Boteach said of the pope.

Boteach said that the Vatican had shown him documents from its private archive showing that Pius XII, a controversial figure among Jews, rescued Italian Jews during the Holocaust. But Boteach remains critical of Pius, saying he displayed "absolute silence in condemning the Nazi Holocaust outright, which might have gone to great lengths to prevent it."

The church has said that Pius would have put more Jews in danger by publicly condemning the Holocaust because it would have provoked the Nazis.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

nynyro

So,  he is saying that because families aren't sharing meals they're becoming more distant  and because there is no real communication between children and their parents this leaves the children vulnerable to being abused.  I think it's a little to simplistic to suggest "family dinners" as a solution to child abuse, but you've got to start somewhere.

Shmuley has always seemed to me like an opportunist and rather shady.  But I've read a few of his books ("Hating Women: America's War on the fairer sex" is a pretty good one) and I agree with him on a lot of issues.  He makes some good points.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

~Souza~Topic starter

Quote from: "nynyro"
So,  he is saying that because families aren't sharing meals they're becoming more distant  and because there is no real communication between children and their parents this leaves the children vulnerable to being abused.  I think it's a little to simplistic to suggest "family dinners" as a solution to child abuse, but you've got to start somewhere.

Shmuley has always seemed to me like an opportunist and rather shady.  But I've read a few of his books ("Hating Women: America's War on the fairer sex" is a pretty good one) and I agree with him on a lot of issues.  He makes some good points.

He makes some good money as well.... One of the many filling his pockets over Mike's back.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

ROFL

Quote from: "~Souza~"
Rabbi's pitch to pope: Use family dinners to defuse abuse crisis
By Dan Gilgoff, CNN

Rabbi Shmuley Boteach pitched his family dinners initiative to the pope as a way to defuse the sex abuse crisis.

(CNN) -- A rabbi walks into St. Peter's Square, meets the pope, and tells the Holy Father that one way to defuse the sex abuse scandal plaguing the church is for the Vatican to begin promoting a secular version of Shabbat dinner, the traditional Jewish Friday meal.

It's no joke.

What the heck ?A real opportinist .. I don't like this man , really..
So to clean their image they should almost convert LOL! Good advice Mr. Rabbi..
Isn't he the man that stole money from We are the world fondation ? Think it's him
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If they could love like you and me, imagine what the world could be.

Sarahli

This is more than a shortcut to propose family dinners to restore the Church's image which has been dirten by cases of pedophilia. This is really a strange advise. It's like the image of the Church was the most important, no matter what are the problems it encounters.
The NWO wants to discredit faith in God by all means and they have infiltrated the Church with, let's say, "bad people" on purpose. That's why the priests are rarely convincted but rather transfered.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
We are here for you Michael and will always love you whatever happens.
'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.'
"You shall not accept any information, unless you verify it for yourself. I have given you the hearing, the eyesight, and the brain, and you are responsible for using them."

RK

I have an intense dislike for the rabbi since reading his book on MJ. The last chapter where he likened Michael's appearance to   Gollum from Lord of the Rings while being obsessed with his "precious' of celebrity sealed my distaste  for him. That along with the rabbi's self righteous attitude. Seems true to me that there are none so blind as those who think they truly see. He's a great one to be talking about the lure of the spotlight. Oh that's right he tells himself it's for a higher purpose.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

nynyro

Quote from: "~Souza~"

He makes some good money as well.... One of the many filling his pockets over Mike's back.

Well, the more you know.  I guess it's a case of Shmuley's hypocrisy; wicked people saying nice things.  I remember reading somewhere that he embezzled money from one of Michael's charities, but I wasn't able to find the details.  I guess Schmuley's kind of like a pharisee or a "pimp in the pulpit"... "having a form of Godliness, but denying It's power".
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

nynyro

Quote from: "RK"
I have an intense dislike for the rabbi since reading his book on MJ. The last chapter where he likened Michael's appearance to   Gollum from Lord of the Rings while being obsessed with his "precious' of celebrity sealed my distaste  for him. That along with the rabbi's self righteous attitude. Seems true to me that there are none so blind as those who think they truly see. He's a great one to be talking about the lure of the spotlight. Oh that's right he tells himself it's for a higher purpose.

I noticed that too.  I think he presents himself as "holier than thou", as if he was somehow more "spiritual" than Michael, but from what I'm hearing about him the opposite seems to be true.  Maybe Michael should've been Schmuley's "spiritual advisor".  :P
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Quote from: "RK"

I noticed that too.  I think he presents himself as "holier than thou", as if he was somehow more "spiritual" than Michael, but from what I'm hearing about him the opposite seems to be true.  Maybe Michael should've been Schmuley's "spiritual advisor".  :P

But isn't it funny that he's taking one from Michael's playbook? Michael promoted family time and eating meals together. I guess one should be glad if good comes of it regardless of the source but it's a little bothersome because he probably got that idea from a long conversation he had with Michael.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
I'm proud to be a child of God and a member of MJ's Army of L.O.V.E.

"Press coverage of my life is like [watching] a fictitious movie...like watching science fiction. It's not true." ~Michael Jackson (2005)

"You should not believe everything you read. You are missing the most important revelations". Craig Harvey 3-15-2012

paula-c

I not be if for CENTURIES, but in a long history, the hidden defect of the Church, paedophilia, aggression to minors, paedophilia, became a great silence. A heavy, rotten, silence after which hid not only criminals against thousands of helpless creatures aggression but the complicity of the ecclesiastical authorities, tacit solidarity with those constituting the negation of the values that preached.

HAD REMAINED SILENT HIERARCHY. That is, silence murky had talk about time. That were obliged to denounce what they knew. That was the face of silence which allowed the horrendous story passed unnoticed. Finally, the silence of the power within of the Catholic Church that could do something in time and did not.

BUT IT IS ANOTHER SILENCE. The the attacked.  The silence of the crying at midnight in the solitude of the bedroom of outrage committed by the priest and teacher in which trust and affection.
The silence of the innocent never transcended. It could not by the wall that cercaba. The preservation excessive image of the Church.  Because the institution was over crime and principles.

NOW the mute exploits in the Vatican. Practically under the Chair of the Pontiff. Or under his bed. And the reaction of the religious power observed is a kind of validation of infamy. The conviction is circumstantial and accommodative. With it so far by the authority objective is to continue hiding. The Cardinals who speak only do to preserve the image of the institution and defend the papacy. Nothing is said of the Supreme responsibility of the hierarchy, which is in Rome and in each country.

FOR that A new type of mute joins other silences of the perpetrators and victims. It is now the silence spread across the planet, which should say and not say it. For example, the Episcopal Conferences who always think about the human and the divine. Not lost opportunity to talk about everything, getting into politics, pontificate about morals and ethics, to recommend virtue to right hand and sinister.

That is talking about this man, no should open the mouth :evil:
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Its her

Um... :?

Not to single anyone out, but...uh...it SEEMS to me that eating Rabbi Boteach for dinner is not something which should be a pastime of an Army of Love. I am concerned about groupthink-pouncing on some one we don't actually KNOW, whom Michael Jackson SAID he loved. They broke bread together, and studied the scriptures together---I have heard, although the only way I know him is through his books, as well, and I think I know why MJ liked him.

Biting and devouring can't be construed as "love", no which way. :|  

NOT messin' with your opinions, which we all are entitled to express. Just saying, it's not just expressing opinions when villifying hatred is brewing.

Here is my two cents. I like the Rabbi. I've read many of his books and I believe he LOVED Michael Jackson. He mentions MJ in a few of his other books, even, SO impressed was he by our beautiful, compassionate, thoughtful genius.

The Michael Jackson book was SO different from his other books, it is weirdly, as if he did not write it----but it was mostly transcribed from tapes, so perhaps  :) that is it. He wrote it as a FAVOR to MJ, to try to reclaim some of his Shine from the dirt, which popular group-think put it in.

I really truly believe that the book's "angry judgmental" expressions of Rabbi B. were because he was SO hurt and shocked by the sudden end of the wonderful MJ, someone who had the World by the tail...I believe he had wanted to guide him out of his unique isolation and give him more common-man experiences and insights, sort of as a loving pet project, for someone NO one has ever tried to help in this way.

When it all got flushed down the toilet with the rest of the drugs he believed MJ was using, I think he simply felt cut off at the knees.  It is ALL over. Hopelessness is a serious and vindictively nagging B****. He even recriminates himself, IN the book,  that there may have been more or SOMEthing he could have said which may have turned the tide...oh, God.  :cry: Can you IMAGINE living with THAT beast hounding you everytime you hear Michael's name? It wouldn't bother any of us--but this guy had close proximity to MICHAEL JACKSON. He believes he witnessed the drug abuse (Mikey :!:  :roll:) . He now wonders every day, if he could have done something...poor man!

So, I can't be hard on him. He was in serious pain over MJ's death---and he probably doesn't know about the hoax, YET!! THIS is why MJ broke fellowship. To protect :D  8-) his friend's "man of God" reputation. He would NOT EVER involve something REAL in a magician's trick, and ruin the guy.

Genuine "Men of God" MUST be trustworthy. We REQUIRE THIS. In spite of the fact that we've all been disappointed one time or another--even if only on the news---by religious folk, I believe Shmuley Boteach is one of the good ones.  :D

Yeah, some of the things Michael said to him gave him the  :?  :roll:  :o willies---but it is BECAUSE of the religious differences! Anyone who follows Jesus Christ, knows He said and did things so off the wall, they ARE hard to believe (until you get to know Him, and realize He didn't lie :o  :D ).

Just One of the unusual things Jesus said, is that, "Believers shall lay hands on the sick and they will recover." When I saw Michael Jackson do this the first time, I couldn't  :shock: BELIEVE what I was seeing!! Jesus has to be INSIDE, to use His power like this.

I didn't even know he KNEW Jesus :o . He NEVER preaches. Not even a sermonette :!:  I read somewhere that he tried to talk someone out of sex with his brother once, but just being moral doesn't mean "devoted to Jesus".

I stared at the picture for a loooooooooooooooooooooong time, trying to imagine WHAT else he could POSSIBLY be DOING to the child in the picture.

I know he was praying for the baby's healing, and touching him, as Jesus SAID to. The baby is even looking at MJ as if he RECOGNIZES the Spirit of God---not Michael Jackson :!:  :!:  :o

The next time I saw this, it wasn't as obvious--but I've seen thousands of people prayed for---both the bogus showoffs and the genuine, motivated by Love this way, so I know it when I see it. I SAW it.

Naturally, someone who only knows Jesus as the Philosophical Jesus or the Historical Jesus, CAN'T see anything but a demigod, when a follower of Christ says he believes he has power to do the things Christ supposedly did!!! This is why--in genuine christian circles--- there isn't alot of showing off, to outsiders. These powers are holy. They are life-changing. They are not to be cast around disrespectfully. In fact, He said signs will follow believers, not showoffs.

I believe Michael Jackson :D  had a secret mission we all NEVER dreamed we knew about all these years. This may sound wacky, but more and more I can't help but see him as a disguised superhero---like The Batman or someone: "King of Pop, in concert by night", slipping secretly out by day, to be a life-changer during his non-concert times---when the world thought he was simply throwing his money around, at hospitals and sick children...

Confessing this to a Rabbi, would have made the Rabbi

CRAZY :shock:  :lol:

Can we just re-think Boteach for a minute? None of us actually KNOWS him...aren't we learning and practicing to step back and give the benefit of the doubt, THIS TIME AROUND ?  :)

P.S. : Never underestimate the power of breaking bread as a group. My family did this nightly. For fun, for good food, for fellowship, for validation and support...for accountability. It is the easiest to do, for so much good result. :mrgreen:
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
ONLY Believe...

nynyro

Quote from: "Its her"
Um... :?

Not to single anyone out, but...uh...it SEEMS to me that eating Rabbi Boteach for dinner is not something which should be a pastime of an Army of Love. I am concerned about groupthink-pouncing on some one we don't actually KNOW, whom Michael Jackson SAID he loved. They broke bread together, and studied the scriptures together---I have heard, although the only way I know him is through his books, as well, and I think I know why MJ liked him.

Biting and devouring can't be construed as "love", no which way. :|  

NOT messin' with your opinions, which we all are entitled to express. Just saying, it's not just expressing opinions when villifying hatred is brewing.

Here is my two cents. I like the Rabbi. I've read many of his books and I believe he LOVED Michael Jackson. He mentions MJ in a few of his other books, even, SO impressed was he by our beautiful, compassionate, thoughtful genius.

The Michael Jackson book was SO different from his other books, it is weirdly, as if he did not write it----but it was mostly transcribed from tapes, so perhaps  :) that is it. He wrote it as a FAVOR to MJ, to try to reclaim some of his Shine from the dirt, which popular group-think put it in.

I really truly believe that the book's "angry judgmental" expressions of Rabbi B. were because he was SO hurt and shocked by the sudden end of the wonderful MJ, someone who had the World by the tail...I believe he had wanted to guide him out of his unique isolation and give him more common-man experiences and insights, sort of as a loving pet project, for someone NO one has ever tried to help in this way.

When it all got flushed down the toilet with the rest of the drugs he believed MJ was using, I think he simply felt cut off at the knees.  It is ALL over. Hopelessness is a serious and vindictively nagging B****. He even recriminates himself, IN the book,  that there may have been more or SOMEthing he could have said which may have turned the tide...oh, God.  :cry: Can you IMAGINE living with THAT beast hounding you everytime you hear Michael's name? It wouldn't bother any of us--but this guy had close proximity to MICHAEL JACKSON. He believes he witnessed the drug abuse (Mikey :!:  :roll:) . He now wonders every day, if he could have done something...poor man!

So, I can't be hard on him. He was in serious pain over MJ's death---and he probably doesn't know about the hoax, YET!! THIS is why MJ broke fellowship. To protect :D  8-) his friend's "man of God" reputation. He would NOT EVER involve something REAL in a magician's trick, and ruin the guy.

Genuine "Men of God" MUST be trustworthy. We REQUIRE THIS. In spite of the fact that we've all been disappointed one time or another--even if only on the news---by religious folk, I believe Shmuley Boteach is one of the good ones.  :D

Yeah, some of the things Michael said to him gave him the  :?  :roll:  :o willies---but it is BECAUSE of the religious differences! Anyone who follows Jesus Christ, knows He said and did things so off the wall, they ARE hard to believe (until you get to know Him, and realize He didn't lie :o  :D ).

Just One of the unusual things Jesus said, is that, "Believers shall lay hands on the sick and they will recover." When I saw Michael Jackson do this the first time, I couldn't  :shock: BELIEVE what I was seeing!! Jesus has to be INSIDE, to use His power like this.

I didn't even know he KNEW Jesus :o . He NEVER preaches. Not even a sermonette :!:  I read somewhere that he tried to talk someone out of sex with his brother once, but just being moral doesn't mean "devoted to Jesus".

I stared at the picture for a loooooooooooooooooooooong time, trying to imagine WHAT else he could POSSIBLY be DOING to the child in the picture.

I know he was praying for the baby's healing, and touching him, as Jesus SAID to. The baby is even looking at MJ as if he RECOGNIZES the Spirit of God---not Michael Jackson :!:  :!:  :o

The next time I saw this, it wasn't as obvious--but I've seen thousands of people prayed for---both the bogus showoffs and the genuine, motivated by Love this way, so I know it when I see it. I SAW it.

Naturally, someone who only knows Jesus as the Philosophical Jesus or the Historical Jesus, CAN'T see anything but a demigod, when a follower of Christ says he believes he has power to do the things Christ supposedly did!!! This is why--in genuine christian circles--- there isn't alot of showing off, to outsiders. These powers are holy. They are life-changing. They are not to be cast around disrespectfully. In fact, He said signs will follow believers, not showoffs.

I believe Michael Jackson :D  had a secret mission we all NEVER dreamed we knew about all these years. This may sound wacky, but more and more I can't help but see him as a disguised superhero---like The Batman or someone: "King of Pop, in concert by night", slipping secretly out by day, to be a life-changer during his non-concert times---when the world thought he was simply throwing his money around, at hospitals and sick children...

Confessing this to a Rabbi, would have made the Rabbi

CRAZY :shock:  :lol:

Can we just re-think Boteach for a minute? None of us actually KNOWS him...aren't we learning and practicing to step back and give the benefit of the doubt, THIS TIME AROUND ?  :)

P.S. : Never underestimate the power of breaking bread as a group. My family did this nightly. For fun, for good food, for fellowship, for validation and support...for accountability. It is the easiest to do, for so much good result. :mrgreen:

You're right.  I am judging him unfairly.  I dont know him.  Thanks for this post.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions