Superman Comic auctioned off for a cool Million!
February 23, 2010, 05:59:30 PM
i am not really sure if this makes sense to anyone, but riding the underground today (they have news screens going), i saw a report that 'someone' paid ONE MILLION $$ (!!!) for a first print edition of the very first superman comic book, dated 1938. the auction was by internet (ComicConnect.com) and all bidders were anonymous.  :? nooo sh!!!t???
who pays that kinda sum for a comic book anyways? must be someone reeeaaallly eccentric and reeeaaallly wealthy and someone who reeeaaallly loooves cartoons and comic books and maybe is even collecting such art...hmmm...who could that be?  8-)

it was weird that while i was on the train, this news-bit was played twice and i was reading anyway, but everytime i looked at the screen, i saw that particular one, so i read it twice.  

my immediate association was the painting michael had an artist do of himself, sending him a comic book excerpt of: superman (ta-daaa...!) when he turns from clark kent into superman (more ta-daaa...!). with that a note saying: 'can you make me one like that?' it's in the opus book, which also just happened to be published... :roll:

here:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

i know, i'm totally michaeling... :mrgreen: i feel like a tex avery comic character, hitting myself on the head with a frying pan or a baseball bat...dang...dang...dang...(see the chirpin' birds fluttering around my head? no? i see them...they're just sooo cute...)

but i wanted to share this with y'all. i had to laugh so hard on the train, people looked at me like i was a nutcase. i need some encouragement. anyone?  :| (pleeeaase, someone tell me i'm not goin' crazy! and i'm not drunk or anything, either!)
Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 06:13:36 PM by tabloidburn
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
just because it\'s in print, doesn\'t mean it\'s the gospel - mj 2003

i have incredible disguises, i can fool my own mother - mj 1988

...details at eleven...

wear something green!

proud member of the army of l.o.v.e!

make sense, interesting......  :?
Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The day I will stop loving you, is the day when I close my eyes forever!

Weirdly enough I was driving to work when I heard that and my first thought was...Oh I wonder if that was Michael  :?:  :lol:
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

thank you so much! i know i can always count on you guys. there will be someone here who agrees with me. always. thanx!
 :mrgreen:
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

...details at eleven...

wear something green!

Venus7

There is many wealthy collectors who would pay that money, it's  nothing big for some pay 1 mil.. Collectors buy every day something very expensive.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Quote from: "Venus7"
There is many wealthy collectors who would pay that money, it's  nothing big for some pay 1 mil.. Collectors buy every day something very expensive.

i know. but this is really an extraordinary high sum. the highest price someone paid for a comic book so far was $ 375,000 or something in that area. that's quite different to a million and it fits with the recently published super-michael.

i could be off, too, sure. but i could be right, making that connection. who's to say?  ;)
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

...details at eleven...

wear something green!

Quote from: "Fedora777"
Weirdly enough I was driving to work when I heard that and my first thought was...Oh I wonder if that was Michael  :?:  :lol:

i thought the exact same thing when i heard it on the radio :)
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Great post tabloidburn! I think you could be right. :D
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

“Let us dream of tomorrow where we can truly love from the soul, and know love as the ultimate truth at the heart of all creation.”-M.J.

@tabloidburn

Look man/lady...whateva ya are(No disrespect)

You're definitely goin' nuts.....no offense :D

I mean MJ is not the only "comic-obsessed millionaire/billionaire" on Earth.....I mean there must've been other people in America too who own a fortune and can dish out a large sum for a thing like taht.....I am not saying it couldnt be MJ....Just saying that we really have no way to know....and that this wild guessing trip is not gonna get us anywhere......Dont take it otherwise please...but of late some people here have been goimg paranoid over the smallest and most inconclusive of things......IT bothers me. :|
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Quote from: "Doctor Death"
@tabloidburn

I mean MJ is not the only "comic-obsessed millionaire/billionaire" on Earth.....I mean there must've been other people in America too who own a fortune and can dish out a large sum for a thing like taht.....I am not saying it couldnt be MJ....Just saying that we really have no way to know....and that this wild guessing trip is not gonna get us anywhere......Dont take it otherwise please...but of late some people here have been goimg paranoid over the smallest and most inconclusive of things......IT bothers me. :|

thanks for your opinion, 'doctor death'. btw, i am a lady, and you're right. i feel like going totally gaga. i'm not even a particular fan and still, this keeps my mind busy most through the day. it bothers me, too.  ;) but in a good way; at the same time, this is like a magic carpet ride and i'm having a ball with it.

but the trick about 'thinking hoax' is to take these little things and put them into a context somewhere. this is not guessing, it is drawing a line to something mj was associated with. it's not like i'm seeing someone throw a pie in someone else's face and i'm thinking 'this is a clue!'. nope.

the auction was internet only, totally anonymous and it is the highest sum ever paid for a comic book. and i'm even going so far as to draw another line: mike played a superhero in 'captain eo' and in his own movie 'moonwalker'. i'm not making connections out of nowhere, i put them into context. it's not wild guessing.

i wrote this thread because it rung a bell, not because i'm just guessing. but i get your point. peace.  :mrgreen:
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

...details at eleven...

wear something green!

Quote from: "tabloidburn"
Quote from: "Doctor Death"
@tabloidburn

thanks for your opinion, 'doctor death'. btw, i am a lady, and you're right. i feel like going totally gaga. i'm not even a particular fan and still, this keeps my mind busy most through the day. it bothers me, too.  ;) but in a good way; at the same time, this is like a magic carpet ride and i'm having a ball with it.

but the trick about 'thinking hoax' is to take these little things and put them into a context somewhere. this is not guessing, it is drawing a line to something mj was associated with. it's not like i'm seeing someone throw a pie in someone else's face and i'm thinking 'this is a clue!'. nope.

the auction was internet only, totally anonymous and it is the highest sum ever paid for a comic book. and i'm even going so far as to draw another line: mike played a superhero in 'captain eo' and in his own movie 'moonwalker'. i'm not making connections out of nowhere, i put them into context. it's not wild guessing.

i wrote this thread because it rung a bell, not because i'm just guessing. but i get your point. peace.  :mrgreen:

:mrgreen:
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions