Ben Evanstad - photographer (ambulance photo)
January 26, 2010, 02:19:04 PM
Apologies if this has been posted. Ben Evanstad and his team were the last people to photograph MJ - the ambulance photo. Here is an interview with him. He supposedly gained the trust of MJ and therefore got many photo opportunities. In the interview, people are saying he slips up just past the 4 minute mark, but please watch all of it.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

This was also published in vanity fair about Ben and describes in Ben's words how they got the photo.  

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Interesting to note his explanation as to how he got a clear photo with practically no reflection interference.
By then, Weiss had checked the last few frames he’d shot through the ambulance window, and all he saw was a reflection on the glass. “I thought, I didn’t get it. I was depressed that I missed a shot that could have been a big deal.”

Evenstad collected the memory cards from everybody’s cameras and headed to National’s office to edit the images. Not long after, he called Weiss again: “Chris, you have made up for every knucklehead maneuver you have ever done. We have a usable frame of M.J. in the back”

Ben mentions that he was concerned that Weiss was too far from the window to avoid reflection.
When he saw Weiss standing a foot from the window, he worried that Weiss would get nothing more than a picture of the reflection of his own camera flash. Weiss says, “Ben told me, ‘Put your lens against the window, and shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot.’”

So could it have been possible then to avoid reflection in this way, even though he said he couldn't see through the window?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

This has been discussed a few times before, but I'm digging your posts and I'm glad you're sifting through everything again because it's good to be reminded of all these facts and inconsistencies.  ;)
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
I will always love you Michael!

Well, the above posts are just open minded really. The photo through the window could be viewed as an inconsistency but honestly, unless someone actually tries to re-enact using a camera through one of their ambulances, there's nothing to say that picture can't be taken. Look at what the media do in the UK. Countless times i have seen photographers on tv putting their lenses right up to the tinted window........there must be a reason why they do that.

Also, perhaps the success of the picture depends on the daylight outside itself. The window is not receiving direct sunlight - in fact the sun appears to be shining on the other side. I am sure that having sunshine reflecting onto a window would logically not help getting a good picture. As this is not the case, perhaps it makes is more likely that the photo could be taken. Again, to be sure, you would have to re-enact this and see the results for yourself, and/or talk to a professional photographer. If someone lived in LA, it would be easy to check out most of the inconsistencies mentioned in this forum.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions