"NEW YORK – Last year, as the Grammys were approaching, the show's executive producer was in frequent talks with Michael Jackson to appear on the telecast to celebrate the 25th anniversary of "Thriller."

Ken Ehrlich, the Grammy telecast's co-executive producer, had presented several ideas for performers, including Justin Timberlake and Usher, all of which excited Jackson. But in the end, he declined the show's invitation.

"He just wasn't ready for it," Ehrlich said.

This year, Jackson will be a focal point of the show, with an unprecedented posthumous tribute. The Grammys will broadcast a 3-D clip the singer made for his hit "Earth Song," a video that was to be integral to his comeback concerts in London in July 2009 — shows that never happened because of his June 25 death in Los Angeles.

Usher, Celine Dion, Carrie Underwood, Jennifer Hudson and Smokey Robinson will perform alongside the clip, which Ehrlich says will be the first time an awards show will feature 3-D.

"Whenever we would do a show with (Jackson), the first thing he would say to me was, `How can we do something that we (have) never done before?' And now we're doing something that hasn't been done before," said Ehrlich, who worked with Jackson for almost 30 years, in an interview Tuesday.

Ehrlich produced the televised memorial to Jackson last year. He was with the singer the night before he died — and that's when he first saw the 3-D clip of "Earth Song," a call to action about the destruction of nature and animals by man.

"There are these incredible images of the beauties of nature, and then they are seen through the eyes of a little girl, and that girl falls asleep and when she wakes up, she is witness to the destruction of nature," said Ehrlich. "It's all about questioning what our values are."

While a part of the clip was shown in the recent movie documentary "This Is It," Ehrlich says the Grammys will show the full piece in 3-D. When he saw it with Jackson that night, Ehrlich said the singer was moved to tears.

"It was pretty emotional for him," Ehrlich said. "Afterward he said to me that that song and that piece and that portion of the concert was as important to him than anything else in the show."

Ehrlich decided to use the five-minute 3-D clip at the Grammys to produce a show-stopper worthy of Jackson, who provided the awards show with some of its most memorable moments, including his then-historic eight Grammy wins in 1984.

"The promise is this is going to be pretty spectacular," he said.

Viewers can get free 3-D "Grammy" glasses from Target stores nationwide from Jan. 26 through Jan. 31, when the 52nd annual Grammy Awards will air live from the Staples Center in Los Angeles on CBS (8 p.m. EST). Ehrlich says TV viewers can see the clip without the glasses, but won't see the 3-D effect.

Jackson will be honored with a lifetime achievement award from the Recording Academy during the show.

"This is the one award from us that Michael never received," said Recording Academy President and CEO Neil Portnow.

Portnow said he expected Jackson's family to be in the audience but their attendance hasn't been confirmed."

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

:arrow:
 :arrow:

"GRAMMY winners Celine Dion, Jennifer Hudson, Smokey Robinson, Carrie Underwood, and Usher will join together, along with the voice of Michael Jackson, in a moving tribute to Jackson at the 52nd Annual GRAMMY Awards on Sunday, Jan. 31. This very special GRAMMY Moment will feature the never-before-seen 3-D mini-movie for "Earth Song" that was created by Jackson as the centerpiece of his much-anticipated This Is It tour, but was never seen by the public prior to this GRAMMY performance.

The 3-D film was created to support the performance of "Earth Song," an original composition and a No. 1 hit for Jackson. The song has a strong theme about the future of the planet, and Jackson saw it as a unique opportunity to deliver a message to millions of people who would have seen him on tour.

"It was one of the most important portions of the concert tour to Michael and when Michael saw the film for the first time at his last rehearsal, there were tears in his eyes," according to Ken Ehrlich, GRAMMY co-Executive Producer and longtime Jackson associate, who was also at the rehearsal that night.

"This very special GRAMMY Moment will feature some of our most respected GRAMMY recipients, all of whom have a great love for Michael," added Neil Portnow, President/CEO of The Recording Academy. "This segment promises to be an emotional highlight of this year's show, and is sure to join the unique list of amazing performances for which the GRAMMY Awards have become renowned."

This special segment also represents another GRAMMY technical breakthrough in that it will be the first time a major awards show broadcasts in 3-D. The GRAMMY Awards also were the first awards show to broadcast in high definition and 5.1 surround sound (2003).

So that viewers can enjoy this unique 3-D TV experience at home, CBS and Target have partnered to provide millions of free 3-D GRAMMY Glasses. From Sunday, Jan. 24 through Sunday, Jan. 31, Target stores nationwide will exclusively offer these 3-D GRAMMY Glasses so that fans have the opportunity to see the film that was very personal to Jackson. Additionally, the audience at Staples Center will share the 3-D experience, wearing the same glasses as those being worn by viewers at home."

Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 07:06:46 AM by Solid121
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
[size=85]Lift Your Head Up High and Scream Out To The World
I Know I Am Someone and Let The Truth Unfurl
No One Can Hurt You Now because You Know What\'s True
Yes, I Believe In Me, So You Believe In You[/size]

If they do this I will not be able to watch, too emotional  :(
I don't know I just don't like to hear about tributes and if that makes me in denial so be it. On the other hand even in a hoax u can't control everything around you and Michael deserves to be honoured alive or dead(oh horrible thought!) Sorry if I'm not making any sense...
Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

mmz

someone is saying Michael will surely attend the Grammy in the audience.Disguised.We will have a lot to work on after that day!!!!
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Notice this is happening about the same time as the DVD for TII comes out.  You have to go to Target to get the glasses; I bet the DVD will be on sale right next to where you get the glasses?  This is all part of marketing; like the video last night of they dont care about us; they are trying to sell dvds.

Michael is a genious with business!  And it is so awesome how he keeps getting these awards; if he is really dead though, it makes me sad that he is missing it.  I hope not!
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

We Are Here To Change The World...Michael As Captain EO

MJLover1990

Quote from: "mmz"
someone is saying Michael will surely attend the Grammy in the audience.Disguised.We will have a lot to work on after that day!!!!

Where did you heard that?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

mehere

Quote from: "HiMichael"
Notice this is happening about the same time as the DVD for TII comes out.  You have to go to Target to get the glasses; I bet the DVD will be on sale right next to where you get the glasses?  This is all part of marketing; like the video last night of they dont care about us; they are trying to sell dvds.

Michael is a genious with business!  And it is so awesome how he keeps getting these awards; if he is really dead though, it makes me sad that he is missing it.  I hope not!

Yep!
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Grammy Awards 31 January 2010
January 20, 2010, 09:57:38 AM
Look who is taking part in the tribute!  Who was also taking part at the Memorial!

Usher, Jennifer Hudson, Carrie Underwood, Smokey Robinson and Celine Dion will take part in the Grammy Awards’ 3-D tribute to Michael Jackson live on January 31st. The Recording Academy is honoring the King of Pop with a Lifetime Achievement Award on music’s biggest night and premiering previously unseen footage from his planned This Is It concerts that was filmed to accompany his performance of “Earth Song.” The musicians will sing along with a recording of Jackson’s vocal as the 3-D mini-movie that was meant to be the centerpiece of This Is It rolls.

Umm   :)  :roll:
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

A thought: Could it be they deliberately chose not to feature it in the film so that they could show it later on? Later on they might even reveal more clips and features from the rehearsals that were not featured in the TII film. They mention that Michael wanted it to be like something they'd never done before. Are they emphasising the adventure?  :)
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Suzy

Re: Grammy Awards 31 January 2010
January 20, 2010, 10:02:39 AM
3D?It would be mutch better if the real Michael come back!
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"GRAMMY winners Celine Dion, Jennifer Hudson, Smokey Robinson, Carrie Underwood, and Usher will join together, along with the voice of Michael Jackson"

Wouldn't it be amazing if he was singing live with them off stage and then comes on at the end!  :D
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
[size=85]Lift Your Head Up High and Scream Out To The World
I Know I Am Someone and Let The Truth Unfurl
No One Can Hurt You Now because You Know What\'s True
Yes, I Believe In Me, So You Believe In You[/size]

I am so psyched for this!! I will cry though...Eath song is my absolute fave song from MJ..

and Congrats to you Michael for the Lifetime Achievement Award!! It is LOOONG overdue!!!

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

It will be a very emotional moment that's for sure, that I expect finish with MJ coming out and singing the rest of the song.  :D Well a girl can only dream. And I hope the Avatar 3D glasses work with the TV, because I don't live in the US to get my free glasses.  :?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

superflysister81

Quote from: "jonnysgirldangerous"
And I hope the Avatar 3D glasses work with the TV, because I don't live in the US to get my free glasses.  :?
I think they will work, because they seem to be the same glasses you can see in the making of Thriller in TII (green screening scenes ;) )
Wow, it will be great!!!!! :D
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

I remember when they said that a 3D  MJ will be at the TII concert on O2....now it's all happening..
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Congratulations, Michael, on a lifetime achievement award!!!! Yes, it is looooooong overdue!  We love you very much! Blessings of peace and love on to you, my dear friend!
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Michael Supporter
Be the change you wish to see in the world.
~Mahatma Gandhi