Neverland Ranch might become a sex-assault rehab for kids

By Stacy Brown

February 1, 2015 | 6:00am

A “[Jackson]land” shrine, a state park and a therapy camp for molested children are among the proposals pitched by potential buyers of Michael Jackson’s shuttered $75 million Neverland Ranch.

While two bidders’ desire to turn the 2,700-acre property into a Graceland-like attraction might thrill the Gloved One’s fans, another businessman’s proposal for sex-assault rehab would likely have him twitching in his tomb.

The local businessman offered “in the neighborhood of $40 million” for the use, said a source with direct knowledge of the sale process.

“His goal is for the place to be used to help children in a serene setting recover from the trauma of sex abuse,” the source said.

“The plan is to have children come there for treatment, and they will also hire trained therapists who would help the victims through the use of equine-assisted therapy, which works to improve the kids’ self-esteem, and it helps them to become more outgoing.”

[Jackson] was accused multiple times of luring kids to the Los Olivos, Calif., ranch to molest them.

In its glory days, it housed an amusement park, a two-story arcade, candy stores, a movie theater, and orangutans, llamas, a lion, snakes, horses and elephants.

Colony Capital, a hedge fund headed by real-estate investor Thomas Barrack, seized control of the ranch from the debt-ridden singer in 2008, the year before his death at age 50.

It believes it can sell the estate for $75 million.

While it waits on a sale, Colony has put out a welcome mat for the Jackson family, although the castle-like main building has no furniture and the amusements are mostly gone.

Jackson’s 16-year-old daughter, Paris, in particular, loves visiting the grounds. In the last year, while recovering from a suicide attempt, she frequently made the 100-mile trip from the family compound in Calabasas. She even planted a Zen garden where a Ferris wheel once stood.

At her request, workers also reinstalled next to her garden an image of a boy in the moon, her father’s favorite logo.

The land is zoned for ­agricultural use.

“The intent is to preserve these lands . . . It certainly is a gorgeous estate, especially at this time of year, with the shooting stars and other wildflowers coming out,” another source said.

“Much of the land is quite steep, but there are some gentle slopes and flat valleys here and there. Probably the best use is to continue as a rural retreat, perhaps plant some grapes.”

California officials have showed interest in the property as a state park, but the price was too steep, said William Etling, a local real-estate broker.

Other investors are looking to cash in on [Jackson]’s image.

“We know of two bids, one with multiple partners, who want to make it a shrine to Michael Jackson, a Graceland-type thing,” said the source close to the sale process.

“However, it’s unlikely that Michael’s estate would allow that to happen because they’d have to grant permission to use Michael’s likeness.”

One of the bidders already has a large collection of [Jackson] memorabilia, including sequined gloves and socks.

Jackson’s estate executors remain bitter about Neverland’s fate.

“We are frustrated, bitterly disappointed and saddened that it has come to this,” a rep said. “Sadly, Michael lost control of Neverland during his life as a result of advice from a former manager.”

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 10:28:14 PM by BillieJeanKingofPop
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

“We are frustrated, bitterly disappointed and saddened that it has come to this,” a rep said. “Sadly, Michael lost control of Neverland during his life as a result of advice from a former manager.”

That is not a true statement, Michael owned part of Neverland when he left. He may not have the controlling interest, but he does have some control.

All parties have to agree to the sale (which would include the Estate and 1224 LLC, besides Colony Capital); I can't see Michael ever agreeing to it.

I'm not sure how Colony Capital feels it would fetch 75 million, I don't think it would ever appraise for that.

Love you Michael!

Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 12:13:55 PM by iamhere4mj
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

goat

Anyone else immediately think `michael Jackson children's hospital?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Anyone else immediately think `michael Jackson children's hospital?

That's a nice thought but the land is zoned agricultural so I'm not sure if something like that would be allowed.

There have been other requests to build on land zoned agricultural (not far from Neverland) and the town refused the request. I can't remember who the celebrity was, but he wanted to build a winery and he was turned down.

Love you Michael!
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The line in the article that says:

The local businessman offered “in the neighborhood of $40 million” for the use, said a source with direct knowledge of the sale process.

The $40 million jumped  out at me because I swear I read somewhere that Raymone Bain had a lawsuit against MJ saying that he owed her $40 million. I wonder if there's a connection? Or, perhaps he had kept the $40 million for this purpose?

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions