curlsTopic starter

MJ's 'manifesto', penned in1979
May 20, 2013, 02:39:50 PM
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

May 19, 2013 7:00 PM

MJ's "manifesto," penned in 1979

When 60 Minutes' Lara Logan and producer John Hamlin toured a secret warehouse where Michael Jackson's personal effects are stored, they found a surreal collection of statues, arcade games, and crystal-encrusted clothing-- but the most fascinating item they found was a simple handwritten note.

"At the age of 21, he wrote a manifesto," explains Hamlin, "scribbled to himself on the back of a tour itinerary in 1979 that described his mission statement for what he wanted to become." The document is folded and worn, and it appears to be hand-written by Jackson in ballpoint pen during a moment of inspiration.

The document reads:

"MJ will be my new name. No more Michael Jackson. I want a whole new character, a whole new look. I should be a tottally [sic] different person. People should never think of me as the kid who sang "ABC," [or] "I Want You Back." I should be a new, incredible actor/singer/dancer that will shock the world. I will do no interviews. I will be magic. I will be a perfectionist, a researcher, a trainer, a masterer [sic]. I will be better than every great actor roped into one."

Logan, who reported on Michael Jackson's estate for 60 Minutes this week, said the letter was the most personal find in the vast warehouse of belongings she toured with archivist Karen Langford.

"One of the things that I discovered is that it was very hard to get a sense of who Michael Jackson was by the end of his life," says Logan. "Because under this siege of accusations and stardom, the real Michael Jackson kind of disappeared. I was hungry for a sense of who Michael Jackson was as a person, and what could be more personal than something he wrote like that when he was so young."

In the note, Jackson also expressed a desire to improve himself by studying the work of great entertainers. In the margin of the document he added this promise: "I will study and look back on the whole world of entertainment and perfect it, take it steps further from where the greats left off."

Hamlin, a music industry producer as well as a 60 Minutes producer, says about the letter: "It's not unusual for young artists, musicians, actors, to daydream about how big a star they wanna become, but for someone to write it down at age 21 and actually execute it almost to the T is remarkable. He set his goals, and he did exactly what he said on the back of that piece of paper."
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Re: MJ's 'manifesto', penned in1979
May 20, 2013, 02:56:15 PM
Hamlin, a music industry producer as well as a 60 Minutes producer, says about the letter: "It's not unusual for young artists, musicians, actors, to daydream about how big a star they wanna become, but for someone to write it down at age 21 and actually execute it almost to the T is remarkable. He set his goals, and he did exactly what he said on the back of that piece of paper."

I never heard before that he wanted to be called/known as MJ.  He wrote: 

"MJ will be my new name. No more Michael Jackson. I want a whole new character, a whole new look. I should be a tottally [sic] different person. People should never think of me as the kid who sang "ABC," [or] "I Want You Back." I should be a new, incredible actor/singer/dancer that will shock the world. I will do no interviews. I will be magic. I will be a perfectionist, a researcher, a trainer, a masterer [sic]. I will be better than every great actor roped into one."

There's so much info. here that applies to what we've been discussing here on the forum all this time.  "No more Michael Jackson"??? Wow......
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

everlastinglove_MJ

May 20, 2013, 04:57:12 PM
It IS remarkable to write down a clear manifesto like this at the age of 21, but when you consider that MJ started to perform at a young age, since he started to realise his capabilities in entertainment, his clear plans/ideas could have been started early too. I think it´s wise to put those dreams/plans as guidelines or goals on paper in order to realise them in the following decades to perfection.

I should be a new, incredible actor/singer/dancer that will shock the world. I will do no interviews. I will be magic. I will be a perfectionist, a researcher, a trainer, a masterer [sic]. I will be better than every great actor roped into one."

"I will study and look back on the whole world of entertainment and perfect it, take it steps further from where the greats left off."
It looks that way :icon_e_biggrin:
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
It's all for L.O.V.E.

MJonmind

May 20, 2013, 05:13:24 PM
Thanks Curls! Wonderful story that would mean MJ's overall plan was 29 years in the making, more than Back's '20'.  21 years old is a nice hoaxy number = 777.

What a treasure trove of magical things the world has yet to see--future IMO after his name is cleared and the world comes flocking to see everything Michael!

I was reminded of TS' words re Front on Nov 29, 2012;
@MJ: nice to see you post in this thread!

The word "creepy" had no business being said though. :icon_mad: But that's the media, have to sneak that in.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

bec

May 20, 2013, 05:50:21 PM
 "I will study and look back on the whole world of entertainment and perfect it, take it steps further from where the greats left off."
Nice!
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Are you entertained?

bec

May 20, 2013, 05:59:10 PM
"I will study and look back on the whole world of entertainment
Coincidental choice of words.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Are you entertained?

Andrea

May 20, 2013, 06:51:08 PM

Wow, this is a most precious gem!  Thank you.

"I will study and look back on the whole world of entertainment
Coincidental choice of words.

Ya, really! 

It's no wonder why we haven't figured everything out.  His mission came to him and he's been doing that ever since.  33 or 34 years (counting years post-2009), depending when in 1979 that this note was written.  He has lived 2 different lives - real; and character.  What happened on June 25th was the character death... and a fitting, controversial death it's been and still is.  The dualistic nature of the hoax makes sense. 
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

suspicious mind

May 20, 2013, 08:19:57 PM

May 19, 2013 7:00 PM

MJ's "manifesto," penned in 1979

When 60 Minutes' Lara Logan and producer John Hamlin toured a secret warehouse where Michael Jackson's personal effects are stored, they found a surreal collection of statues, arcade games, and crystal-encrusted clothing-- but the most fascinating item they found was a simple handwritten note.

"At the age of 21, he wrote a manifesto," explains Hamlin, "scribbled to himself on the back of a tour itinerary in 1979 that described his mission statement for what he wanted to become." The document is folded and worn, and it appears to be hand-written by Jackson in ballpoint pen during a moment of inspiration.

The document reads:

"MJ will be my new name. No more Michael Jackson. I want a whole new character, a whole new look. I should be a tottally [sic] different person. People should never think of me as the kid who sang "ABC," [or] "I Want You Back."this part actually broke my heart a little , this is exactly the person that i fell for at the beginning of all this and he wanted that person gone. I should be a new, incredible actor/singer/dancer that will shock the world. I will do no interviews. I will be magic. I will be a perfectionist, a researcher, a trainer, a masterer [sic]. I will be better than every great actor roped into one."

Logan, who reported on Michael Jackson's estate for 60 Minutes this week, said the letter was the most personal find in the vast warehouse of belongings she toured with archivist Karen Langford.

"One of the things that I discovered is that it was very hard to get a sense of who Michael Jackson was by the end of his life," says Logan. "Because under this siege of accusations and stardom, the real Michael Jackson kind of disappeared. I was hungry for a sense of who Michael Jackson was as a person, and what could be more personal than something he wrote like that when he was so young."

In the note, Jackson also expressed a desire to improve himself by studying the work of great entertainers. In the margin of the document he added this promise: "I will study and look back on the whole world of entertainment and perfect it, take it steps further from where the greats left off."

interestingly enough most of this fits with the michael jackson as a character theory we were discussing just a bit ago.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be shrewd as serpents and as innocent as doves."  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Why not just tell people I'm an alien from Mars? Tell them I eat live chickens and do a voodoo dance at midnight. They'll believe anything you say, because you're a reporter. But if I, Michael Jackson, were to say, "I'm an alien from Mars and I eat live chickens and do a voodoo dance at midnight," people would say, "Oh, man, that Michael Jackson is nuts. He's cracked up. You can't believe a single word that comes out of his mouth."

MJonmind

May 20, 2013, 08:46:35 PM
Wiki
1975–81: Move to Epic and Off the Wall
In June 1975, the Jackson 5 signed with Epic Records, a subsidiary of CBS Records[27] and renamed themselves the Jacksons. Younger brother Randy formally joined the band around this time, while Jermaine choose to stay with Motown and pursue a solo career.[28] They continued to tour internationally, releasing six more albums between 1976 and 1984, during which Michael was the lead songwriter, writing hits such as "Shake Your Body (Down to the Ground)", "This Place Hotel", and "Can You Feel It".[24] In 1978, he starred as the Scarecrow in the musical, The Wiz, a box-office disaster. It was here that he teamed up with Quincy Jones, who was arranging the film's musical score. Jones agreed to produce Jackson's next solo album, Off the Wall.[29]
In 1979, Jackson broke his nose during a complex dance routine. His subsequent rhinoplasty was not a complete success; he complained of breathing difficulties that would affect his career. He was referred to Dr. Steven Hoefflin, who performed Jackson's second rhinoplasty and subsequent operations.[30]

Jones and Jackson produced the Off the Wall album together. Songwriters for the album included Jackson, Rod Temperton, Stevie Wonder, and Paul McCartney. Released in 1979, it was the first solo album to generate four U.S. top 10 hits, including the chart-topping singles "Don't Stop 'til You Get Enough" and "Rock with You".[31][32] It reached number three on the Billboard 200 and eventually sold over 20 million copies worldwide.[33] In 1980, Jackson won three awards at the American Music Awards for his solo efforts: Favorite Soul/R&B Album, Favorite Soul/R&B Male Artist, and Favorite Soul/R&B Single for "Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough".[34][35] That year, he also won Billboard Year-End for Top Black Artist and Top Black Album and a Grammy Award for Best Male R&B Vocal Performance, also for "Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough".[31] Jackson again won at the American Music Awards in 1981 for Favorite Soul/R&B Album and Favorite Soul/R&B Male Artist.[36] Despite its commercial success, Jackson felt Off the Wall should have made a much bigger impact, and was determined to exceed expectations with his next release.[37] In 1980, he secured the highest royalty rate in the music industry: 37 percent of wholesale album profit.[38]

That does it. The Pepsi ad burn was one of his first kick-off hoaxes 100%, with Hoefflin one of his accomplices.
Wiki:
Hoefflin has carried out cosmetic surgery on numerous celebrities and has been linked to Michael Jackson’s changing appearance since the early 1980s. Hoefflin grafted skin to Jackson’s scalp after the singer was burnt during the filming of a Pepsi commercial in 1984.[2] In 1979, Jackson had his first rhinoplasty after breaking his nose during a complex dance routine. However, the surgery was not a complete success, and Jackson complained of breathing difficulties that would affect his career. He was referred to Dr. Hoefflin, who performed Jackson's second rhinoplasty.

Klein:  Historically the records firmly show Michael Jackson was addicted to Propofol by Steve Hoefflin. In 2003 Michael made a cease and desist order against Hoefflin.

It's no accident this little tidbit was revealed only now! :icon_lol:
 :michael_jackson-1135:
Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 09:19:07 PM by MJonmind
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

mjj4ever777

• Hoaxer
  • View Profile
  • BE LOVE..LIVE LOVE! I LOVE you all, so very much!
May 20, 2013, 08:57:06 PM
LOVE you Michael...and I LOVE you my Beautiful MJ Family!!  :bearhug:
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

May 20, 2013, 10:09:32 PM
"For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he:" (Proverbs 23:7)

After reading his auto biography I've always felt that this hoax has been in the planning for many many years.

Stay blessed!
OnTheWingsOfLove
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Defender of the faith, Supporter of the Word!"

Thriller4ever

• Registered users
  • Hoaxer
  • View Profile
  • Army of L.O.V.E
  • Hope is Immortal
May 21, 2013, 12:35:33 AM
@MJonmind, the very first thought that came to my mind was the very Pepsi accident being staged. And after reading this manifesto, it is clear now that the reason behind staging Pepsi Accident could simply be scaling new heights through a hoax. 

But what I wonder is did he ever leave clues to let people know that Pepsi accident was staged back in 1984? It is now , after his "death" , that we are considering it to be a possible scenario, but what about then. People obviously had no clue of what was going on, they just thought of it to be an accident, so what fun did Michael have?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
twitter: @ComfortablyGeek

We all have plans to achieve our goals and ambitions in life, and for a 21-year-old Michael Jackson he only had one thing on his mind; complete world domination and to be a "a new, incredible actor/singer/dancer that will shock the world."

Well, mission accomplished we suppose, but the recently uncovered handwritten manifesto by the late King of Pop from 1979 reveals more than an overwhelming desire to become the greatest entertainer of all time, it also reveals a young man driven by a strong determination to be the best at what he does and become the King of Pop. MJ's meticulous attention to detail was renowned and his career was one of the most enduring of all time, and with this recently unearthed document we now know that Michael didn't just turn on his drive in the studio or on stage, but had planned his future way in advance and stuck to the plan
The manifesto was found etched on the back of a tour itinerary in Michael's handwriting, and was tucked away in a secret warehouse full of Jackson's belongings that until recently had been completely forgotten about since Michael's untimely death in 2009. In his letter he writes; "MJ will be my new name. No more Michael Jackson. I want a whole new character, a whole new look. I should be a tottally [sic]different person. People should never think of me as the kid who sang "ABC," [or]"I Want You Back. I should be a new, incredible actor/singer/dancer that will shock the world," continuing, "I will do no interviews. I will be magic. I will be a perfectionist, a researcher, a trainer, a masterer [sic]. I will be better than every great actor roped into one."

The new finding may be the catalyst to what was a career like no other, and one that will likely not be emulated any time soon. Later in 1979 the singer released his first solo record, Off The Wall, to great critical and public appreciation and the rest, as they say is history
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login is a video of michaels warehouse on this page :)
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

MJonmind

Yes, in the words of Back, "Not a come-back but a takeover!"
I forget who said, "I had dinner with the man who runs the world from behind the curtain!"
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

mjptd

Yes, in the words of Back, "Not a come-back but a takeover!"
I forget who said, "I had dinner with the man who runs the world from behind the curtain!"

Gotham Chopra
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions