By Alan Duke, CNN
updated 7:14 PM EST, Sun March 3, 2013
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
Michael Jackson's mom and kids accuse AEG Live of pressuring Dr. Conrad Murray
A "smoking gun" e-mail ties AEG Live to Murray, Jackson attorney says
Concert promoter AEG Live argues it did not hire or supervise Murray
Murray is serving a prison sentence for Jackson's 2009 death

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Los Angeles (CNN) -- A "smoking gun" e-mail allegedly connecting a concert promoter to Michael Jackson's death was revealed this week as a judge unsealed documents in the wrongful death lawsuit filed by Jackson's mother and children.
The trial next month in Los Angeles could shed new light on the pop icon's last days as Dr. Conrad Murray, who did not testify at his own involuntary manslaughter trial, and Jackson's oldest son Prince, 16, are on the witness list.
Jackson died two weeks before his "This Is It" comeback concerts, organized by AEG Live, were to have debuted in London in the summer of 2009. E-mails suggested that the promoter was worried about Jackson's missed rehearsals and they sought Murray's help in getting him ready.
Prince, Paris and Blanket Jackson and their grandmother, Katherine Jackson, contend that AEG Live's pressure on Murray to have Michael Jackson ready for daily rehearsals despite his fragile health led to his death from an overdose of surgical anesthetic.
The judge ruled Wednesday that Jackson lawyers have shown enough evidence that AEG Live hired and supervised Murray to warrant a jury trial. She also ruled there was evidence to support the Jacksons' claim that AEG Live executives could have foreseen that Murray would use dangerous drugs in treating the pop icon.
"Now that the court has ruled that there is evidence that it was foreseeable that AEG's actions resulted in Michael Jackson's death, the Jackson family feels vindicated from the public smear campaign that AEG has waged against them," Jackson lawyer Kevin Boyle said Sunday. "The truth about what happened to Michael, which AEG has tried to keep hidden from the public since the day Michael died, is finally emerging.
We look forward to the trial where the rest of the story will come to light."
A cornerstone of the Jacksons' case is an e-mail AEG Live Co-CEO Paul Gongaware wrote 11 days before Jackson's June 25, 2009, death. The e-mail to show director Kenny Ortega addressed concerns that Murray had kept Jackson from a rehearsal the day before: "We want to remind (Murray) that it is AEG, not MJ, who is paying his salary. We want to remind him what is expected of him."
Jackson lawyers, calling it a "smoking gun," argue the e-mail is evidence that AEG Live used Murray's fear of losing his $150,000-a-month job as Jackson's personal physician to pressure him to have Jackson ready for rehearsals despite his fragile health.
Ortega, who had worked closely with Jackson on previous tours, sounded a loud warning about his health after Jackson showed up for a rehearsal shivering just over a week before his death. He wrote in an e-mail to AEG Live President Randy Phillips: "It is like there are two people there. One (deep inside) trying to hold on to what he was and still can be and not wanting us to quit him, the other in this weakened and troubled state. I believe we need professional guidance in this matter."
Phillips responded with a glowing endorsement of Murray: "This doctor is extremely successful (we check everyone out) and does not need this gig so he is totally unbiased and ethical."
Jackson lawyers point to another e-mail exchange as evidence that Phillips was directly involved with pressuring Murray to have Jackson at rehearsals. The e-mail was sent by AEG Live tour accountant Timm Woolley to an insurance broker two days before Jackson died: "Randy Phillips and Dr. Murray are responsible for MJ rehearsal and attendance schedule."
Murray told investigators two days after Jackson's death that he used the surgical anesthetic propofol every night for two months to help him rest for rehearsals. It was a procedure Jackson demanded, he said. The Los Angeles County coroner ruled that Jackson had died from an overdose of propofol in combination with sedatives. Murray is serving a prison sentence for his involuntary manslaughter conviction.
AEG Live argues it has no liability in Jackson's death because Murray was not its employee. AEG lawyer Marvin Putnam did not respond Sunday to CNN calls for comment, but he did give a short statement last year: "Defendants did not hire Dr. Murray nor were they responsible for the death of Michael Jackson."
The lawsuit seeks a judgment against AEG Live equal to the money Jackson would have earned over the course of his remaining lifetime if he had not died in 2009. If AEG Live is found liable, it could cost the company several billion dollars, according to estimates of Jackson's income potential. AEG Live is a subsidiary of AEG, a global entertainment company that is now for sale with an $8 billion asking price.
Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge Yvette Palazuelos, in her ruling rejecting AEG Live's request to have the case thrown out, said she agreed that the Jackson lawyers provided evidence that AEG Live didn't do "a sufficient background check of Dr. Murray, which would have established that Murray was deeply in debt."
Jackson's previous relationship with Murray, who treated him and his children for minor illnesses in Las Vegas, did not relieve AEG Live of liability, "although the fact may be relevant in determining proportional liability and damages," she said.
While the AEG Live lawyers argued the company could not have foreseen that Murray might use dangerous drugs on Jackson in preparation for the tour, Palazuelos said there was evidence that Gongaware had "previous tour experiences" with Jackson in which "tour doctors" gave "large amounts of drugs/controlled substances to him." Gongaware testified in Murray's trial that he worked as tour manager for Jackson's "Dangerous" and "History" tours before joining AEG Live.
The judge cited "Gongaware's general knowledge of the ethical issues surrounding 'tour doctors' and the practice of administering drugs to performing artists."
"There is a triable issue of fact as to whether it was foreseeable that such a physician under strong financial pressure may compromise his Hippocratic Oath and do what was known by AEG Live's executives to be an unfortunate practice in the entertainment industry for financial gain," the judge wrote.
Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 07:13:52 PM by hesouttamylife
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Don't stop this child, He's the father of man
Don't cross his way, He's part of the plan
I am that child, but so are you
You've just forgotten, Just lost the clue.”

MJ "Magical Child"
Still Rocking my World…
   and leaving me Speechless!

“True goodbyes are the ones never said

Andrea

I can believe that AEG pushed Murray to push Michael.  They ignored the emails that said Michael was weakened and even defended Murray, claiming he was unbiased and ethical, Phillips said AEG had Murray checked out.  That statement of Phillips contradicts what we “know” of Murray though, considering that he has a lot of debt, apparently, and also several children with several different women. And they would remind him that his $150K/month job was on the line if Michael wasn’t ready to do the shows.  So it would seem that it was Murray’s character and bias ("towards" AEG's paycheque) that AEG wanted – someone who would do anything for money, someone who would push Michael beyond his capabilities. Ultimately, someone who would fulfill AEG’s goal of acquiring Michael’s assets and all future earnings (pointed out in Exhibit B of the letter of intent/contract between Michael and AEG) if Michael was unable to perform all 50 shows that he didn’t even agree to do.

I maintain my belief that I don’t think AEG wanted Michael dead.  I also believe that Murray was working WITH Michael to help set AEG up, so was Kenny Ortega.  I don’t think that Michael was in ill health but needed to act like he was, look like he was.  Kenny’s comment in the email “It is like there are two people there” is curious…is he referring to Michael portraying himself as sickly or perhaps a double??

The lawsuit seeks a judgment against AEG Live equal to the money Jackson would have earned over the course of his remaining lifetime if he had not died in 2009. If AEG Live is found liable, it could cost the company several billion dollars, according to estimates of Jackson's income potential. AEG Live is a subsidiary of AEG, a global entertainment company that is now for sale with an $8 billion asking price.

There’s an irony here…AEG wanted all of Michael’s future earnings and is instead being sued to pay what Michael would’ve earned for the rest of his life had he not died in 2009.  That wording is very interesting, especially considering that Michael is alive.  So Michael set the trap but it was their own greed that got them there.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Andrea

Here's a link (from vindicatemj website) that has the contract/letter of intent between Michael and AEG, for reference.

Perhaps someone who is familiar with contracts or legal speak, or knows someone that is, can take a good look at this?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

MJonmind

Thanks Hes and Andrea, it seems things are starting to heat up!

Andrea, I agree with what you said!  Michael, “Good, they fell into my trap!”
Front on June 28, 2011,
"And rest assured, my friends, they did NOT and WILL not break  him, for he is..........
in a kiNgdom far Away
but perhaps cLoser than yoU thinK
Bolstering his next movE
checkmAtE----> is on the BRink"
Also if the FBI were involved as TS maintained, then this trial again could also be part of that sting, with the dangers of entrapment (need for us).

TS on Nov 30,12
Certainly FBI agents would be required to obey state laws, whenever they are off duty; and it is very likely that any court would also find them subject to state laws, if they were merely helping out with something artistic (like a movie).  However, if they were performing a serious sting operation for real criminal investigation, then CA courts would have little if any power to enforce CA state law on them.  Therefore, understanding Level 7 makes it very clear that there is real criminal sting, and not merely the FBI helping MJ to produce an artistic sting.  Does anyone remember me saying something like this before?
Seems this is Sting part B, as well as "Exhibit B going to rock that trial."

TS quoted me here as to perhaps the real targets:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Just a thought came to me now.  What if select individuals in AEG, Sony, The Estate, and media like TMZ are helping Michael and the FBI in a sting against even bigger people, that have not even been named publicly at all.  Murray is the "fall guy" or a "finger of a bigger hand". Perhaps Sony and AEG are that hand, but together they are overthrowing the international NWO shadowy group. 

Why did Randy Phillips say MJ said to him on the night before, "Thank you for taking me this far, I can take it from here."  That's pretty hoaxy and collaborating, as in the next day TII would stop production, and MJ would be working behind the scenes.  Also TS insisted that individuals in Sony were helping MJ.  TS posted how Jermaine and Latoya said the truth would come out, is likely applicable more for the KJ/AEG trial than Murray's.  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Lastly, Why is TMZ silent on the Katherine AEG trial? They have no problem talking about Murray and Klein though. It kinda supports what Arnie is saying about Harvey. Crazy mysteries...

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Random thoughts...

Jackson lawyers point to another e-mail exchange as evidence that Phillips was directly involved with pressuring Murray to have Jackson at rehearsals. The e-mail was sent by AEG Live tour accountant Timm Woolley to an insurance broker two days before Jackson died: "Randy Phillips and Dr. Murray are responsible for MJ rehearsal and attendance schedule."

I feel weird whenever I read that someone was "responsible" for getting Michael to rehearsal. Michael is a responsible adult, don't you think he could motivate himself to go to rehearsal (i.e. for a show)? If that weren't the case, and AEG hired someone to make sure he showed up... that alone would implicate AEG in some pretty shady stuff. It would mean Michael was in no fit state to perform, and that he was being forced. But we all know TII was a front for rehearsals of another kind... If Michael missed a few days, I feel 110% confident that he had better things to do and orchestrate in order to pull this hoax off.

There’s an irony here…AEG wanted all of Michael’s future earnings and is instead being sued to pay what Michael would’ve earned for the rest of his life had he not died in 2009.  That wording is very interesting, especially considering that Michael is alive.  So Michael set the trap but it was their own greed that got them there.

Yeah I had to read that part twice, it was so weird. Everyone knows Michael is worth more dead than alive...

@MJonmind, I noticed too that TMZ is being oddly silent about this. Wonder why? It seems some pretty important things will finally come to light.

We are still reading the same contradictions:
-Was Michael in a "weakened state" or was he "in the best shape of his life," and recreating his most iconic moments for TII? Kenny Ortega himself has a few quotes to support either theory.
-Was Murray in debt, or was he above this "gig"? (Was Michael in debt?)

Just going in circles...

Trial is set to begin April 2.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Le roi est mort, VIVE LE ROI !

2good2btrue

• Hoaxer
  • View Profile
  • FORGIVENESS IS THE KEY TO YOUR HAPPINESS
Lets go back down memory lane here....Everything points to AEG being one of the BAD guys...

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

sweetsunsetwithMJ

• Hoaxer
  • View Profile
  • Michael I am looking forward to your BAM!!
The only thing that caught my attention is that this trial was first set on April 1 and then set on April 2.
Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 08:57:55 AM by sweetsunsetwithMJ
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
I WANNA BE WHERE YOU ARE!!

I might have wavered a little here and there on a few things, but AEG has always remained on my shyt list.  :ghsdf:
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Don't stop this child, He's the father of man
Don't cross his way, He's part of the plan
I am that child, but so are you
You've just forgotten, Just lost the clue.”

MJ "Magical Child"
Still Rocking my World…
   and leaving me Speechless!

“True goodbyes are the ones never said

Andrea

MJonmind:

TS quoted me here as to perhaps the real targets:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Just a thought came to me now.  What if select individuals in AEG, Sony, The Estate, and media like TMZ are helping Michael and the FBI in a sting against even bigger people, that have not even been named publicly at all.  Murray is the "fall guy" or a "finger of a bigger hand". Perhaps Sony and AEG are that hand, but together they are overthrowing the international NWO shadowy group. 

Why did Randy Phillips say MJ said to him on the night before, "Thank you for taking me this far, I can take it from here."  That's pretty hoaxy and collaborating, as in the next day TII would stop production, and MJ would be working behind the scenes.  Also TS insisted that individuals in Sony were helping MJ.  TS posted how Jermaine and Latoya said the truth would come out, is likely applicable more for the KJ/AEG trial than Murray's.  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I agree that the targets probably go beyond what we see, behind the public faces are those who are really in control, the ones who think they run the world because they own most of it.  So I think key people within those companies would need to be willing to help Michael.  Whether Phillips is one of those people is possible but he could've been doing the opposite -  working for "them", helping to ensure Michael wouldn't be able to pull off all 50 shows so they could add to their pile of wealth.  Or both, if he knew of Michael's plans and agreed to be some sort of double agent/mole.  I'm very interested to see what will be uncovered during the trial, how much will be exposed to the public.  The criminality of the music industry (and beyond) needs to made public in a big way.

And I agree that in order to get to "them", the people at the top of the pyramid, you have to start at the bottom and work your way up - weaken their foundation in order for them to come crashing down.  Such an extreme imbalance of power and wealth can only last so long.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

paula-c

We believe that Michael is alive, this demand is by someone that is supposed to be dead, is not an attempt to kill someone is why someone died, then what would happen if the Jackson win the demand? What would happen from the legal point of view, I don't know if i explained well :confused:
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

MJonmind

Paula, you mean what if Katherine won the lawsuit, though MJ's really alive, and The Estate got the 2 Billion from AEG?
I mean it's the same question of whether Murray's really in jail for a crime he couldn't have committed.  Who knows... Everything's just so crazy...
That's why I think it has to be a sting, otherwise big legal problems, or MJ's never returning as in Bam.

What scriptwriter could come up with this nail-biter, cliffhanger, edge-of-your-seat drama? Only the Smooth Criminal himself. Remember MJ telling the Sony producer he could write stories, and showed him his snake about to eat the mouse?  :Michael_Jackson_dancing_smile

Andrea
I agree that the targets probably go beyond what we see, behind the public faces are those who are really in control, the ones who think they run the world because they own most of it.  So I think key people within those companies would need to be willing to help Michael.  Whether Phillips is one of those people is possible but he could've been doing the opposite -  working for "them", helping to ensure Michael wouldn't be able to pull off all 50 shows so they could add to their pile of wealth.  Or both, if he knew of Michael's plans and agreed to be some sort of double agent/mole.  I'm very interested to see what will be uncovered during the trial, how much will be exposed to the public.  The criminality of the music industry (and beyond) needs to made public in a big way.
And the story is just so tight--no leaks or hints as to if they are truly good or bad guys.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

everlastinglove_MJ

".. We look forward to the trial where the rest of the story will come to light."

So do I
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
It's all for L.O.V.E.

paula-c

Paula, you mean what if Katherine won the lawsuit, though MJ's really alive, and The Estate got the 2 Billion from AEG?
I mean it's the same question of whether Murray's really in jail for a crime he couldn't have committed.  Who knows... Everything's just so crazy...
That's why I think it has to be a sting, otherwise big legal problems, or MJ's never returning as in Bam.

Yes, I refer to that I think that the outcome of this trial is going to be very important for all that we have been in this for almost four years
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

blankie

• Registered users
  • Hoaxer
  • View Profile
  • It's all for L.O.V.E.
@Andrea   I maintain my belief that I don’t think AEG wanted Michael dead.

For me the same...AEG had too much interest in the Tour of Mike ... too many and too profitable.... :icon_rolleyes:
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
LOVE YOU MORE

Adi

Each day I vascillate between AEG being the bad guys and then the good guys.....I can't figure out which.

However, all of this AEG  discussion reminds me of those posts by SOTT (archived on the TNZ site) You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  and also of the killer thriller speech made by Michael in 2002 which kind of matches up with what is discussed in the posts by SOTT. If you believe that SOTT was a genuine MJ insider, or indeed MJ himself, then there was some BIG sh*t going down, which seemed like it was going to take quite some time for it to happen......

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfG-V7tE_bI[/youtube]
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions