You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Michael Jackson doctor Conrad Murray seeks bail while waiting on appeal
By Alan Duke, CNN
updated 9:16 PM EST, Wed December 19, 2012

Los Angeles (CNN) -- The doctor convicted of causing Michael Jackson's death asked an appeals court this week to let him out of jail while the judges decide whether they will overturn his conviction.

The judge who presided over Conrad Murray's trial last year denied bail in a February hearing, saying his lawyers had not proven he was not a risk to flee the state or harm someone else with his questionable medical practices.

Jackson died of an overdose of a surgical anesthetic and sedatives in his home while under Dr. Murray's care on June 25, 2009.

Los Angeles County District Judge Michael Pastor, who sentenced Murray to four years in prison for the involuntary manslaughter conviction, "unjustifiably erred" by denying Murray's request to remain free during his appeal," Murray lawyer Valerie Wass said in a motion filed this week with California's Second District Court of Appeals.

Read more: Judge rejects e-mail ban in Michael Jackson death lawsuit

"Appellant respectfully requests that this court order his release on his own recognizance pending appeal, or alternatively, that it order his release on reasonable bail," Wass wrote.
Photos: Michael Jackson, King of Pop Photos: Michael Jackson, King of Pop
'Thriller' jacket helping Jackson tigers
Conrad Murray invites MJ's mom to jail
Inmates pay tribute to Jackson

Murray, who has been in a Los Angeles County jail since a jury found him guilty in November 2011, is eligible for parole after serving two years. Murray is set to be freed October 28, 2013 unless he is let out early on bail or because of jail overcrowding.

Pastor said he doubted Murray would stick around for the appeal decision because he has "resources" to flee and "significant ties elsewhere," including to Grenada, where he was born, and Trinidad, where he was raised.

But Murray is a naturalized U.S. citizen with children in the United States, including a 3-year-old son in California, Wass argued in her motion for bail. The prospect of losing his life in the United States would prevent him from leaving the country, she said.

"It would be all but impossible for appellant to flee" because he has become infamous from the media coverage of Jackson's death and the trial, Wass wrote.

As for resources, Murray is broke, she said.

Pastor also suggested Murray was a danger to the public because of his dangerous attitude toward using propofol, the drug that killed Jackson.

Wass argued in the appeal that Murray would not be practicing medicine since California suspended his medical license after he was convicted and he voluntarily surrendered his other medical licenses in Texas and Nevada.

"He lacks the means and ability to prescribe or obtain pharmaceutical drugs," she wrote.

Prosecutors have until the end of December to file their response to Murray's bail request.

Read more: Conrad Murray gets bigger cell, but still unhappy

Murray is appealing his conviction on several points, including the contention that Pastor erred in not allowing his lawyers to present evidence of Jackson's financial troubles, which they argued would support their theory that the pop star's desperation led him to administer the fatal dose to himself.

Wass argued that the judge's decision not to allow the defense to call Beverly Hills dermatologist Dr. Arnold Klein or his staff as witnesses denied Murray a fair trial. Murray's lawyers contended that drugs given to Jackson by Klein in the weeks before his death contributed to his death.

The judge's refusal to sequester the jury in a hotel during the trial, which was televised live, "may have improperly influenced the jurors," Wass argued.

Another major issue in the appeal is the decision not to allow Murray's lawyers to test the contents of a bottle found next to Jackson's bed. They contend it could reveal evidence to support their theory that Jackson gave himself the fatal dose while Murray was out of the room.

Jackson's mother and three children are suing AEG, the promotion company they say hired Murray and supervised Murray's care of Jackson as he prepared for comeback concerts in London in summer 2009. Murray is expected to be a witness in the wrongful death trial scheduled for next April.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
'Money...Lie for it Spy for it Kill for it Die for it They'd kill for the money Do or dare'

MJonmind

Jackson's mother and three children are suing AEG, the promotion company they say hired Murray and supervised Murray's care of Jackson as he prepared for comeback concerts in London in summer 2009. Murray is expected to be a witness in the wrongful death trial scheduled for next April.
Things like this lead me to think Bam will not be what we expect, a return of MJ in the literal sense, unless the coming trial will be cancelled.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

paula-c

The doctor convicted of causing Michael Jackson's death asked an appeals court this week to let him out of jail while the judges decide whether they will overturn his conviction.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

blankie

• Registered users
  • Hoaxer
  • View Profile
  • It's all for L.O.V.E.
 :icon_e_wink: Obviously !!
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
LOVE YOU MORE

What do you mean not what we expect? Explain please I'm new!
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

MJonmind

I meant that perhaps Bam will not be an obvious physical return to the public, if the trial of AEG  and appeal of Murray happens in the spring.  Perhaps it will obvious to hoaxers or general MJ fans but not the world. Or perhaps it will be in stages. All of the Jackson family, and the many friends and partakers of the hoax will be seen as liars.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

I meant that perhaps Bam will not be an obvious physical return to the public, if the trial of AEG  and appeal of Murray happens in the spring.  Perhaps it will obvious to hoaxers or general MJ fans but not the world. Or perhaps it will be in stages. All of the Jackson family, and the many friends and partakers of the hoax will be seen as liars.

So we'll never actually see him again? We'll just know that he's back? Sorry I'm asking all these questions. I'm new and I'm trying to get filled in. Like I know all of the evidence and everything, but it seems that everyday I have a new question.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Murray is set to be freed October 28, 2013 unless he is let out early on bail or because of jail overcrowding
  This got me thinking about something Souza said on another thread when people were trying to "predict" Bam's day

October 28, 2013.

Hi Souza, nice to see you again here! :bearhug:
How do you come up with October 28 2013?

I'm not Souza obviously but my guess is...the release of TII + "4 years to get it right"

:beerchug:

Something else caught my attention :
Conrad Murray gets bigger cell, but still unhappy

I'm never pleased with anything, I'm a perfectionist, it's part of who I am_ Michael Jackson

Anyways , I think if Murray was to be freed on October 28 which coincidentally happens to be the date when TII was released "4 years" ago , then something Big must be planned !
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

sweetsunsetwithMJ

• Hoaxer
  • View Profile
  • Michael I am looking forward to your BAM!!
The truth is every time we hear about CM a date is hinted---> "Murray wants to get out of jail before Christmas"<---, --->"Murray is set to be freed October 28, 2013"<--- so that leads me to think there is a possibility that Michael returns during Christmas time (including Dec 31) and right the wrongs during a period of time with a deadline set in October 28, 2013 (as he said in TII "we have four years to get it right " exactly 4 years since TII release) when he will have again the life he used to have and be able to relax with his children and maybe make music again.   
Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 10:03:44 AM by sweetsunsetwithMJ
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
I WANNA BE WHERE YOU ARE!!

The truth is every time we hear about CM a date is hinted---> "Murray wants to get out of jail before Christmas"<---, --->"Murray is set to be freed October 28, 2013"<--- so that leads me to think there is a possibility that Michael returns during Christmas time (including Dec 31) and right the wrongs during a period of time with a deadline set in October 28, 2013 (as he said in TII "we have four years to get it right " exactly 4 years since TII release) when he will have again the life he used to have and be able to relax with his children and maybe make music again.

Wow you explained that so well!
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

blankie

• Registered users
  • Hoaxer
  • View Profile
  • It's all for L.O.V.E.

Wow you explained that so well!

:bearhug:
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
LOVE YOU MORE

paula-c

I think that the BAM is going to be that way :icon_geek:
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

bec

If the bamsday isn't public then it didn't happen because that's the definition of bamsday.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Are you entertained?

If the bamsday isn't public then it didn't happen because that's the definition of bamsday.

Yep Yep ! It's supposed to be something phenomenal .. Something that the whole world will see but just because some people won't feel / see it , it doesn't mean it won't be happening !
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

What if he decides to disguise himself? Or like does something at the New Years thing in NYC! That's be cool.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions