2good2btrueTopic starter

• Hoaxer
  • View Profile
  • FORGIVENESS IS THE KEY TO YOUR HAPPINESS
Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:24am IST

(Reuters) - Sony/ATV, the music publishing division of Sony Music, has kicked off an auction to sell the rights to more than 30,000 songs from artists ranging from Culture Club to Iggy Pop contained in the Virgin Music and Famous U.K. song catalogs, according to sources with direct knowledge of the process.

These sources said non-disclosure agreements were sent out last week to more than 20 potential buyers, including Warner Music Group, Primary Wave Music, Round Hill Music, Imagem Music, Kohlberg Kravis & Roberts & Co LP, Platinum Equity Partners, Thomas H. Lee Partners and others.

The signing of non-disclosure agreements is typically required at the start of an auction process as a condition of receiving books with detailed financial data about the company being auctioned.

While a first-round bid deadline has not yet been set, the sources said they expect a deal to be valued at around $150 million.

The sale of the Virgin Music and Famous U.K. catalogs were among the concessions required by regulators in order for Sony/ATV to receive approval for its $2.2 billion acquisition of EMI Music Publishing. John Branca, a partner at law firm Ziffren Brittenham who has represented Michael Jackson, Aerosmith, The Rolling Stones, and others, is running the auction on behalf of Sony/ATV.

All parties mentioned above either declined comment or could not be reached for comment.

Combined, the two catalogs control the rights to more than 30,000 songs, the bulk of which are from artists who rose to prominence during the 1980s and 1990s. Included in the catalogs are rights to songs from the Culture Club, Lenny Kravitz, Goo-Goo Dolls, Iggy Pop, Tears for Fears, Fine Young Cannibals, and many others.

Music publishing catalogs can range in size from a few dozen songs to a few million. For instance, Round Hill on Tuesday acquired Arthouse Entertainment, which controlled the rights to just 150 songs from artists including Katy Perry and Cee Lo Green. By contrast, Sony/ATV, which is a joint venture of Sony Music and the estate of Michael Jackson, ranks as the record industry's largest music publishing house with the rights to more than 2 million songs.

While record labels have struggled with declining CDs sales as a result of piracy and a shift to digital distribution, music publishing companies have gained in value because they collect revenue every time a song is played in any format since they control the underlying rights to the composition.

All of the major record labels - Universal Music Group, Warner Music Group, and Sony Music - have publishing divisions, and a slew of independent companies such as Spirit Music Group and Primary Wave Music have cropped up in recent years to acquire the rights to song catalogs.

(Reporting By Peter Lauria and Nadia Damouni)

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 02:38:42 AM by 2good2btrue
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

curls

Thanks for posting this - so much movement to keep an eye on within the entertainment industry these days.

Slightly off topic, but does anyone know what happened to the Beatles catalogue?  Is it another asset that is generally thought MJ had to sell when he was 'broke', but in fact still owns?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The link between John Branca and Sony really bothers me. Shouldn't there be a conflict of interest here? If he is representing Sony AND the MJ Estate at the same time who will he fight for when it comes to the music catalog battle between Mj and Sony?
This is really disturbing to me  :Pulling_hair:
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Even after all this time
The sun never says to the earth,
"You owe Me."

Look what happens with
A love like that,
It lights the Whole Sky.

2good2btrueTopic starter

• Hoaxer
  • View Profile
The link between John Branca and Sony really bothers me. Shouldn't there be a conflict of interest here? If he is representing Sony AND the MJ Estate at the same time who will he fight for when it comes to the music catalog battle between Mj and Sony?

The publishing rights to most of the Beatles' biggest hits are owned by one entity, a joint venture between the late Michael Jackson and the music arm of Sony Corp. It's called Sony/ATV, and it also owns the rights to songs written by Bob Dylan, Neil Diamond, Taylor Swift and, oh yes, the Jonas Brothers.
But Sony/ATV does not handle the recordings of Beatles songs. Two other companies do that, so whether you'll ever download "Come Together" off of iTunes has nothing to do with M.J.'s death. I'll have more info on that for you later in this story.
As for what happens to Jackson's portion of that legendary publishing catalog, welcome to the big, hot mess that is Jacko's estate...
Why?
Well, because Jackson was also, according to reports, mired in some truly epic financial drama. Even the value of Sony/ATV is unclear, with analysts and media placing it somewhere between the rather widely spaced poles of $500 million and $1 billion.
Here's some more math: According to the Wall Street Journal and other reports, Jackson had about $500 million in debt.
Adding to the quagmire: Jackson once put up his share in Sony/ATV as collateral for a loan. The debt is held by Barclays, Jackson's biggest creditor, and the amount owed is said to be around $300 million.
So where does that leave Lovely Rita or Sgt. Pepper or Sweet Loretta? I refuse to say it's going to be a long and winding road. Instead, I shall declare that it's going to be a lengthy and twisting pathway.
"It's all a mess," one executive involved in Jackson's financial affairs told the New York Times this past weekend. "No one really knows what is going on, but these are early days."
Now, Sony/ATV owns 267 songs written mostly by John Lennon and Paul McCartney. That collection—which comprises most of the Beatles' hits—continues to make bank; in fact, Sony/ATV recently negotiated a deal to allow some of the songs to be used on a Beatles version of Rock Band.
The actual recordings of all the Beatles songs you know and love are owned by record label EMI and the band's company, Apple Corps. Those two are still trying to figure out terms for introducing Beatles songs to the digital world, including iTunes.
In conclusion, it could very well be years before anyone figures out what exactly Michael Jackson owned, owed and bequeathed—other than a big old tangle of drama.

But I still have no real idea what is going on here...

Is Branca working for Michael or against him????   :Pulling_hair:

But according to this older article I posted above, that debt (if real) has been paid off, and from what I'm uncovering, it seems to have been paid off by Thomas Barrak Jnr..from Colony Capital.  There is evidence that Colony signed a power of attorney regarding some large debt, on June 25th 2009. 

Lets not forget that Tohme Tohme and Barrak work for Colony Capital, and it's Barrak that saved Neverland and paid off most of MJ's debts to other lenders, including the loan against the catalog....
Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 05:06:34 AM by 2good2btrue
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

SimPattyK

• Registered users
  • Hoaxer
  • View Profile
  • MJ & ELVIS are ALIVE ~ TRUTH always prevails!
This is EXACTLY the kind of info that makes me go crazy !!  :Pulling_hair:
 :WTF: is going on??

I'm just like you @2good2btrue: I am frustrated because I still can't figure out if Branca is a good or a bad guy in this whole scenario!
Is he acting according to Michael's script?
OR
Is Michael now able to test him for real? as to how loyal or corrupt he is?

Is Michael in control in either of these 2 versions ?^^  :animal0017:
Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 05:00:49 AM by SimPattyK
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
MJ & ELVIS are ALIVE ~ You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

The publishing rights to most of the Beatles' biggest hits are owned by one entity, a joint venture between the late Michael Jackson and the music arm of Sony Corp. It's called Sony/ATV, and it also owns the rights to songs written by Bob Dylan, Neil Diamond, Taylor Swift and, oh yes, the Jonas Brothers.
But Sony/ATV does not handle the recordings of Beatles songs. Two other companies do that, so whether you'll ever download "Come Together" off of iTunes has nothing to do with M.J.'s death. I'll have more info on that for you later in this story.
As for what happens to Jackson's portion of that legendary publishing catalog, welcome to the big, hot mess that is Jacko's estate...
Why?
Well, because Jackson was also, according to reports, mired in some truly epic financial drama. Even the value of Sony/ATV is unclear, with analysts and media placing it somewhere between the rather widely spaced poles of $500 million and $1 billion.
Here's some more math: According to the Wall Street Journal and other reports, Jackson had about $500 million in debt.
Adding to the quagmire: Jackson once put up his share in Sony/ATV as collateral for a loan. The debt is held by Barclays, Jackson's biggest creditor, and the amount owed is said to be around $300 million.
So where does that leave Lovely Rita or Sgt. Pepper or Sweet Loretta? I refuse to say it's going to be a long and winding road. Instead, I shall declare that it's going to be a lengthy and twisting pathway.
"It's all a mess," one executive involved in Jackson's financial affairs told the New York Times this past weekend. "No one really knows what is going on, but these are early days."
Now, Sony/ATV owns 267 songs written mostly by John Lennon and Paul McCartney. That collection—which comprises most of the Beatles' hits—continues to make bank; in fact, Sony/ATV recently negotiated a deal to allow some of the songs to be used on a Beatles version of Rock Band.
The actual recordings of all the Beatles songs you know and love are owned by record label EMI and the band's company, Apple Corps. Those two are still trying to figure out terms for introducing Beatles songs to the digital world, including iTunes.
In conclusion, it could very well be years before anyone figures out what exactly Michael Jackson owned, owed and bequeathed—other than a big old tangle of drama.

But according to this older article I posted above, that debt (if real) has been paid off, and from what I'm uncovering, it seems to have been paid off by Thomas Barrak Jnr..from Colony Capital.  There is evidence that Colony signed a power of attorney regarding some large debt, on June 25th 2009. 

Lets not forget that Tohme Tohme and Barrak work for Colony Capital, and it's Barrak that saved Neverland and paid off most of MJ's debts to other lenders, including the loan against the catalog....

Check this out: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Can't copy the text but it's worth the read and any of the other stuff on that site.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Even after all this time
The sun never says to the earth,
"You owe Me."

Look what happens with
A love like that,
It lights the Whole Sky.

Thanks for posting these articles 2good...looks like MUCH has been happening 'behind the scenes', it's all very confusing but, for some reason, it all feels 'good' and it's exciting!

This line from the 2nd article made me laugh:

In conclusion, it could very well be years before anyone figures out what exactly Michael Jackson owned, owed and bequeathed

I don't think it will be years....and I do think we're all in for a 'thriller' when it is all figured out.

@Truth...thanks for posting that link.  I've bookmarked it for later reading :icon_razz:

With L.O.V.E. always.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The beauty of Michael Jackson is found in his heart and soul...his enormous talent is a bonus and what a bonus it is.

~PLAY the moments...PAUSE the memories...STOP the pain...REWIND the happiness~

Never trusted Branca as you know... and this certainly doesn't bring me any closer to doing so.  Sorry. Something rubs me the wrong way about him.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Don't stop this child, He's the father of man
Don't cross his way, He's part of the plan
I am that child, but so are you
You've just forgotten, Just lost the clue.”

MJ "Magical Child"
Still Rocking my World…
   and leaving me Speechless!

“True goodbyes are the ones never said

everlastinglove_MJ

One Forbes article from last November:

Sony-EMI Deal Reunites Jackson 5 Songs With Michael Jackson

"I Want You Back" - Michael Jackson finally gets his wish.

In the years after Michael Jackson became an international superstar, the song “I Want You Back” took on a new, reflexive sort of meaning for him.

Flush with cash from the stratospheric success of his solo career, Jackson thought seriously about buying the publishing rights to some of the songs he’d recorded years earlier as a member of the Jackson 5–including “I Want You Back,” one of hundreds in Motown’s Jobete catalog, then owned by the legendary Berry Gordy and his sister. Despite serious interest from Jackson, who was “like a son” to Gordy, the music mogul sold a 50% stake in the catalog to EMI for $132 million in 1997.

But dreams often take a lifetime to achieve, and the King of Pop seems to have realized this one posthumously. On Friday, a Sony-led team of investors purchased EMI’s entire publishing catalog for $2.2 billion. The group includes billionaire David Geffen, the Blackstone Group’s GSO Capital Partners LP, and none other than the estate of Michael Jackson ( its stake is nested within Sony’s 38% share of EMI, according to sources close to the negotiations).

The move makes sense for reasons beyond just the sentimental. Michael Jackson’s estate still co-owns the separate Sony/ATV publishing catalog in a joint venture with Sony; that company, headed by former EMI chief Marty Bandier, will administer the newly-acquired EMI assets on behalf of the investors.

Still, the reunion is little more than a drop in the financial bucket. Because Sony/ATV will soon begin receiving administrative fees from the EMI catalog’s new owners, its own value is likely north of $2 billion as well.

As for Jackson, his estate has raked in half a billion dollars since his death two and a half years ago. And though the King of Pop’s posthumous concert flick was called This Is It, he’s just getting started from a posthumous earnings perspective. Jackson’s Immortal World Tour, a partnership with Cirque du Soleil, is grossing $2.4 million a night; plans call for over 100 shows a year for each of the next three years.

Forbes Thought Of The Day

“ You are not very good if you are not better than your best friends imagine you to be. ”

— Johann Lavater

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
It's all for L.O.V.E.

2good2btrueTopic starter

• Hoaxer
  • View Profile

Why?

Check this out: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Can't copy the text but it's worth the read and any of the other stuff on that site.

Yes, I've heard that before.The executors are purposely trying to default the loan against the catalog....by not paying it off as a debt with the money the estate has made since 2009...They have managed to pay off everything else, and even make alot of money in that process...Its criminal...
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

curls

So, what does all this mean then?

EU clears Universal takeover of EMI with conditions
European regulators have cleared Universal's controversial $1.9bn (£1.2bn) takeover of EMI on condition it sell off some of the British company's most prestigious record labels.

By Nathalie Thomas

11:25AM BST 21 Sep 2012

The European Commission said an agreement to dispose of assets ranging from EMI's iconic Parlophone label to Chrysalis, Mute, EMI Classics, and also Universal businesses such as Sanctuary and Co-op Music, had allayed its anti-competition concerns.

"The very significant commitments proposed by Universal will ensure that competition in the music industry is preserved and that European consumers continue to enjoy all its benefits," EU Competition Commissioner Joaquin Almunia said in a statement.

The assets to be sold off represent about 10pc of Universal and EMI's combined global revenues.

Universal stressed that the remedies package was much smaller than expected, equating to about 30pc of EMI's global revenues.

Although the music giant will have to dispose of the Parlophone label, it will retain a number of major artists, including Katy Perry, Norah Jones, Robbie Williams, Genesis, Emeli Sande and Phil Collins. Universal will also keep hold of Virgin Music and, crucially, the rights to The Beatles.

“Universal Music Group is delighted to have received regulatory clearance from the European Commission for its acquisition of EMI Recorded Music," Universal, which is owned by French conglomerate Vivendi, said in a statement.

"Today’s approval brings to an end an extensive EU regulatory review and the acquisition will benefit the artistic community and music industry. We are delighted Universal Music will retain over two-thirds of EMI on a global basis, contributing to the accretive nature of the deal."

However, rival groups are likely to view the judgment as Universal having paid a hefty price for regulatory approval. The remedies amount to 60pc of EMI's business in Europe.

Citigroup reached an agreement to sell EMI to Universal last November, having acquired the British label when buyout firm Terra Firma defaulted on loans owed to the investment bank.

The deal has been hampered by months of negotiations with competition authorities.

Universal battled to salvage the takeover after rival music companies and industry veterans including Sir George Martin, the “fifth Beatle”, raised serious objections to the tie-up, which would have handed a combined company a 40pc share of the global music market.

Universal’s first package of concessions, offered to European competition officials in July, failed to ease concerns.

Several other countries including Japan and Canada have already given their consent to the deal but Universal faces another substantial hurdle in the US, where the takeover is still being looked at by the Federal Trade Commission.

As part of the deal, EMI Recording Limited will be sold, which holds the Parlophone label featuring Coldplay, David Guetta, Lilly Allen, Tinie Tempah, Blur, Gorillaz, Kylie Minogue, Pink Floyd, Cliff Richard, David Bowie, Tina Turner and Duran Duran.

Also being sold will be EMI France, EMI's classical music labels, Mute, which is home to The Ramones and Jethro Tull, and Chrysalis, which has signed Depeche Mode, Moby and Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds.

Coop, a label licensing business selling artists such as Mumford and Sons, Garbage and Two Door Cinema Club, will also be sold. Similarly, Universal will be required to sell EMI's 50pc stake in Now! That's What I Call Music.

Universal said the assets had already attracted a lot of interest from "well financed" buyers in the music industry, including rival labels, independents and experienced music management teams backed by private equity funds.

Impala, an organisation that represents independent music companies in Europe, expressed its dismay over the EC's decision to pass the deal.

The group said it would "consider its options" with its lawyers when the full judgment is published. It has been speculated Impala could appeal the EC's ruling.

Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 01:43:22 AM by curls
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Where is Tohme these days?  :WTF:  Think I’ll google to see what he’s been up to lately  :computer-losy-smiley:
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Don't stop this child, He's the father of man
Don't cross his way, He's part of the plan
I am that child, but so are you
You've just forgotten, Just lost the clue.”

MJ "Magical Child"
Still Rocking my World…
   and leaving me Speechless!

“True goodbyes are the ones never said

paula-c

The world of music is a turbulent river turbid waters
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

suspicious mind

every time is see something about this EMI stuff all i can think of is tIME . maybe it's never been used to be about time.  :icon_e_biggrin:
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be shrewd as serpents and as innocent as doves."  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Why not just tell people I'm an alien from Mars? Tell them I eat live chickens and do a voodoo dance at midnight. They'll believe anything you say, because you're a reporter. But if I, Michael Jackson, were to say, "I'm an alien from Mars and I eat live chickens and do a voodoo dance at midnight," people would say, "Oh, man, that Michael Jackson is nuts. He's cracked up. You can't believe a single word that comes out of his mouth."

every time is see something about this EMI stuff all i can think of is tIME . maybe it's never been used to be about time.  :icon_e_biggrin:

Interesting.......it's BACKwards....OK, vino time, lol.......ugh, I read way too much into things. 
It is interesting though...great correlation suspicious mind : )

Blessings Always
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions