Estate settles with Mann for 2.5 Million $
September 04, 2012, 01:01:56 PM
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Jackson estate, businessman settle copyright case

Published: September 4, 2012    Comment on this article 0

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Michael Jackson's estate and a businessman working with the singer's mother have settled a copyright infringement case for $2.5 million.

photo - FILE - In a March 5, 2009 file photo US singer Michael Jackson announces that he is set to play ten live concerts at the London O2 Arena in July, which he announced at a press conference at the London O2 Arena. A trial scheduled to begin Tuesday, Sept. 6, 2012 will determine how much a businessman working with Katherine Jackson will have to pay her son’s estate for infringing some of its copyrights. (AP Photo/Joel Ryan, File)
FILE - In a March 5, 2009 file photo US singer Michael Jackson announces that he is set to play ten live concerts at the London O2 Arena in July, which he announced at a press conference at the London O2 Arena. A trial scheduled to begin Tuesday, Sept. 6, 2012 will determine how much a businessman working with Katherine Jackson will have to pay her son’s estate for infringing some of its copyrights. (AP Photo/Joel Ryan, File)

Multimedia
Photoview all photos
Article Gallery: Jackson estate, businessman settle copyright case

The settlement was announced Tuesday in a Los Angeles federal courthouse right before a trial on damages was scheduled to begin. The estate had sued Howard Mann and his businesses in January 2011, claiming he had violated Jackson copyrights in a book and other merchandise he sold in collaboration with Katherine Jackson.

Mann is the CEO of Vintage Pop Media, which according to settlement terms announced in court is responsible for paying the judgment.

A judge had already ruled that Mann and Vintage Pop Media violated copyrights by using images from the Jackson film "This Is It" and other works.

A jury trial on how much Mann owes the estate had been scheduled to begin Tuesday, with an expert estimating a license for the works is with between $5 and $12 million.

Read more: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Even after all this time
The sun never says to the earth,
"You owe Me."

Look what happens with
A love like that,
It lights the Whole Sky.

ellyd

Re: Estate settles with Mann for 2.5 Million $
September 04, 2012, 03:55:17 PM
New maths: 2.5 is between 5 and 12. Logical. It's 7.   :icon_eek:
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

bec

September 05, 2012, 01:08:37 PM
Wait.

I thought the ruling was in the Estates favor and Mann lost. I thought this was already settled last month. What did I miss?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Are you entertained?

MaryK

• Registered users
  • Hoaxer
  • View Profile
  • The world is just illusion, trying to change you
September 05, 2012, 02:28:18 PM
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Wait.

I thought the ruling was in the Estates favor and Mann lost. I thought this was already settled last month. What did I miss?

A judge had already ruled that Mann and Vintage Pop Media violated copyrights by using images from the Jackson film "This Is It" and other works.

A jury trial on how much Mann owes the estate had been scheduled to begin Tuesday, with an expert estimating a license for the works is with between $5 and $12 million.

What I understand from this is that the judge ruled that there was indeed copyright infringement but the sum that Mann/Vintage Pop Media will have to pay was not yet determined.
It seems they settled out of court before the jury trial , in which the sum would have been determined, began.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You and I were never separate

It's just an illusion

Wrought by the magical lens of Perception

bec

September 05, 2012, 10:05:35 PM
Thanks, Mary. That makes sense.

Interesting yet perfect that they settled out of court.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions