MaryKTopic starter

• Registered users
  • Hoaxer
  • View Profile
  • The world is just illusion, trying to change you
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Michael Jackson Estate Settles Dispute With 'Thriller' Director John Landis
The two sides resolve on confidential terms a three-year-old case involving profits and rights on the 1983 music video.

The estate of Michael Jackson tells The Hollywood Reporter that it has put the finishing touches on a deal with director John Landis and producer George Folsey Jr. that resolves litigation concerning net profits on the late singer's "Thriller" video as well as a fight over a previously planned musical theater production of the hit song/video.
In January 2009, Landis and Folsey sued Jackson and his company, Optimum Productions, claiming they were still owed money for work on the 14-minute video. Then, Jackson passed away in June of that year, prompting anyone with a debt to file a claim on his estate. Hundreds of claims were made, including from Landis and Folsey, who alleged that $2.3 million was owed.
Most of those claims have been resolved. In July, the estate told a LA Superior Court that it had made enough money to pay off the estimated $500 million of debt that Jackson left when he passed away.
Paying down the debt was one of the chores of executors John Branca and John McClain. Resolving old litigation has been another.

As part of Jackson's litigation with Landis, the director also asserted that he owned at least 50% of the "separated rights" to the "Thriller" video, which he said entitled him to "dramatic rights" derivations like stage adaptations.
Before Jackson's passing, the King of Pop had made a deal with The Nederlander Organization to produce a musical version of "Thriller," which was originally made into a music video in 1983 at the cost of $800,000 and went onto to become what many consider the most successful music video of all time. In the lawsuit to stop the production, Landis said that Jackson had gotten about $400,000 for the right to do this.
But that specific production never got off the ground, and in 2010, Nederlander sued the estate for preventing it from mounting a musical stage play despite its deal. (Instead, the estate licensed a traveling Cirque du Soleil show called "Immortal," which has been very successful.)

Meanwhile Landis' claims continued, but the two sides were able to eventually reach an agreement, which a probate judge has already signed off on.
On Friday, the estate released a statement to The Hollywood Reporter indicating that the settlement had become firm:
"The Estate of Michael Jackson, John Landis and George Folsey Jr. have reached an amicable settlement of the actions that were pending in the Los Angeles Superior Court relating to the legendary short motion picture Michael Jackson's Thriller and the documentary The Making Of Michael Jackson's Thriller. The settlement terms are confidential."
This wraps up litigation over "Thriller." Earlier this year, the estate also made a settlement with Ola Ray, the actress who played Jackson's date in the music video.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You and I were never separate

It's just an illusion

Wrought by the magical lens of Perception

marumjj

• Hoaxer
  • View Profile
  • "Lies run sprints, but the truth runs marathons"
  • Smile, though your heart will hurt
Maryk Hello I have a feeling like everything is taking place properly, almost no debt, or at least firm agreements, what a shame that we do not know the details yet, but there is no doubt that (as you said "come home") and my question is: what is missing? the more we have to wait? MJ to finally "come home" (this time I say   :LolLolLolLol: )

:bearhug:
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Thank you for sharing this with us. I too wish we knew the settlement deal - I hope that it was fair. It's still a wonder to me that MJ would not have most of the control over the rights of that short film.

I think that things are falling into place very well but what is still missing still is for Chandler to make public that he was forced to lie about MJ. MJ's full vindication is still missing and I'm hoping that we see it soon.

Blessings
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
I'm proud to be a child of God and a member of MJ's Army of L.O.V.E.

"Press coverage of my life is like [watching] a fictitious movie...like watching science fiction. It's not true." ~Michael Jackson (2005)

"You should not believe everything you read. You are missing the most important revelations". Craig Harvey 3-15-2012

finfin

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

BREAKING: “Thriller” Resurrected! John Landis Collaborating With Michael Jackson’s Estate!

Upon reading the big news I immediately contacted Mr. Landis, who has always been gracious and forthcoming with Bloody Disgusting. He reveals exclusively to Bloody that he’ll now be working directly with Jackson’s estate on future “Thriller” releases!! Blu-ray anyone?!
*EXCLUSIVE*

While most of you were packing up for the holiday weekend, some monster entertainment news broke over at The Hollywood Reporter. The site reported that the estate of Michael Jackson has put the finishing touches on a deal with director John Landis and producer George Folsey Jr. that resolves litigation concerning net profits on the late singer’s “Thriller” video as well as a fight over a previously planned musical theater production of the hit song/video.

On Friday, the estate released a statement to THR indicating that the settlement had become firm: “The Estate of Michael Jackson, John Landis and George Folsey Jr. have reached an amicable settlement of the actions that were pending in the Los Angeles Superior Court relating to the legendary short motion picture Michael Jackson’s “Thriller” and the documentary “The Making of Michael Jackson’s “Thriller.”" The settlement terms are confidential.”

Being that “Thriller” is my all-time favorite music video, and maybe even earliest horror inspiration, after reading this news I was completely scaled in goosebumps. I immediately obsessed over one thought: “Does this mean we’ll finally get a proper “Thriller” release?“ The answer? Read on for the scoop…
“The Estate of Michael Jackson has been dealing with all of Michael’s debts and legal obligations and our complaint has finally been addressed,” Landis stated. “So now all is good and there will be exciting things happening with Michael Jackson’s “Thriller” that I will be doing in collaboration with the Estate in the future.“

While I’m out of my mind excited, Landis does imply it’s not going to happen immediately: “Right now all of their [the Jackson
Estate] energy and focus is on promoting and celebrating the 25th anniversary of the “Bad” album and I am looking forward to Spike Lee’s documentary that just premiered at the Venice Film Festival about the making of “Bad.”

“Michael Jackson was a brilliant performer and extraordinary star and I feel lucky to have worked with him,” he added. “And I am excited about working with his Estate to celebrate his life and art in the days to come.”

This is major news as Landis reveals that, after all of these years, there will finally be some serious attention given to the greatest video of all time on the greatest album of all time. I expect big things!

I always wonder, and hope that our younger readers love “Thriller” as much as I do. The video was revolutionary, and featured the great Vincent Price. It was the first time a song had been converted into a short film. In the 13-minute-and-43-second “Thriller,” released on December 2, 1983, a night at the movies turns into a nightmare when Michael and his date are attacked by a hoard of bloody-thirsty zombies – only “Thriller” can save them now.

“Thriller” is the bes
t-selling album of all time, and it is estimated to have sold from between 65 to 110 million copies[/size]
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"Consciousness expresses itself through creation. This world we live in is the dance of the creator." Michael Jackson

Sarahli

I expect big things!

Oh and us as well then!  :woohoo2:
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
We are here for you Michael and will always love you whatever happens.
'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.'
"You shall not accept any information, unless you verify it for yourself. I have given you the hearing, the eyesight, and the brain, and you are responsible for using them."

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal