Hicks: Michael Jackson made R. Kelly cry -- for joy

Compiled by Tony Hicks
Contra Costa Times
Posted:   06/25/2012 02:23:19 PM PDT
Updated:   06/25/2012 02:49:52 PM PDT

1 of 24Michael Jackson2
Elizabeth Taylor, seen in this April 1986 file photo with Michael Jackson at the horse races at Hollywood Park. (Los Angles Times/MCT)

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Related Stories
Jun 25:
Michael Jackson: Best of the old photos and new stories
On the third anniversary of Michael Jackson's death. R. Kelly shared a story with People.com about the first day they met -- and how they ended up at a Chicago mall.
Kelly details in his upcoming book "Soulacoaster: The Diary of Me" about how he wrote "You Are Not Alone" for Jackson, and met him when Jackson began recording the song.
"He looked at least eight feet tall," Kelly wrote. "He looked like an avatar. He was wearing a black mask over his face. Only his eyes were showing.
Finally, Mike walked over to me. He looked in my eyes, opened his arms, and gave me the hug of my life, whispering to me in his lighter-than-air, soft, high voice. 'The world's gonna be singing this song.'
"I blurted out something silly like, 'Congratulations on everything you've done, Mike. Congratulations on being Michael Jackson.'
"Just about then, Bubbles the chimp pranced into the room. In my mind, I called Bubbles 'Trouble.' The chimp made me nervous.
'He's friendly, isn't he, Mike?'
'Oh, yes, he's not going to hurt you.'
'Anyway,' I said, 'I'm just glad you like the song.'
'I don't like it, Rob. I love it. I don't want to change one thing. I want to sing it just the way you wrote it. You captured me beautifully. That's the reason I came here. We can get started just as soon as I do my vocal warm-ups.'
"'If you excuse me for a minute,' I said, 'I'll be right back.'
Advertisement

"I walked to the bathroom and just fell out on the floor. I broke down and cried. It wasn't that Michael Jackson was singing my song; it was that Michael had felt how I'd caught his spirit. Michael Jackson had come to Chicago to work with me!
"'Rob,' he said in that high, singsong voice, "would you mind coming in here and singing backgrounds with me?'
"Mind? Are you kidding? Michael Jackson was asking me to sing with him!
"I had to practically stop myself from running to the vocal booth. I paced myself so I could walk slowly, but in my heart I felt like a little girl.
"When we started to sing, the blend was perfect. We were butter and toast. He did that some rocking motion I'd seen him do on 'We Are the World.' Sitting there next to me -- my voice over his, his voice over mine -- I tasted heaven. Heaven on earth. Brother, this is as good as it gets.
"'You know, Rob," he said later that afternoon, "sometimes it can take me a month to get a song where I want it.'
"'Me, too, Mike,' I agreed. 'Sometimes it takes me more than a month.'
"'I'm glad you understand. You'll be patient with me, won't you?'
—I'll be whatever you want me to be, Mike. It's still like a dream for me."
Then, the King of Pop made an unexpected request
"'Can I ask you something else?'
"'Sure.'
"'Is there a mall around here, Rob?'
"'Just a couple of blocks away.'
"'Would you go there with me? I love malls.'
"'I love 'em too, Mike. Let's roll.'
This is where, out of respect for the King of Pop, we don't make a "What happens when Michael Jackson goes to the mall with R. Kelly" joke. Back to the story:
"With Bubbles and the security team in place, we went to Water Tower Place, one of the nicest malls in Chicago. Michael headed straight for the Disney store where he was fascinated by a larger-than-life statue of Donald Duck hung above the entrance.
"'That's beautiful,' said Michael. 'Do you think they'd sell it to me? I'd love to have Donald Duck for Neverland.'
"'Couldn't hurt to ask,' I said.
"Of course Michael Jackson walking into the Disney store caused a near-riot. When the manager appeared, Michael couldn't have been sweeter: 'Is there any way I could buy that Donald Duck?' he asked.
"'I'm afraid not, Mr. Jackson. It's permanently built into the front of the store.'
"'Oh, that's a shame,' Michael said politely. 'But thank you anyway, sir.'
"I'd never met anyone with better manners.
The pair worked on perfecting the song over the next three weeks and spent time chatting together in the studio.
"The experience of working with Mike was drama-free. Every night after he left the studio and got in his van, people were hanging out the windows of office buildings and hotels, stretching their necks to get a glimpse of him. He'd always stop and wave.
"When the job was done and it was time for him to leave Chicago, he gave me another hug and said, 'You're my brother.'
"I was too choked up to say anything."
Contact Tony Hicks at thicks@bayareanewsgroup.com or on Facebook at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.
Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 01:26:17 PM by hesouttamylife
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Don't stop this child, He's the father of man
Don't cross his way, He's part of the plan
I am that child, but so are you
You've just forgotten, Just lost the clue.”

MJ "Magical Child"
Still Rocking my World…
   and leaving me Speechless!

“True goodbyes are the ones never said

curls

@hesouttamylife, I'm loving these articles you're posting this afternoon - thank you!
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

MJonmind

Thanks!  I'd have been in heaven too!  Actually it feels close enough just being here for 3 years!
 :penguin:
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

suspicious mind

Hicks: Michael Jackson made R. Kelly cry -- for joy

Compiled by Tony Hicks
Contra Costa Times
Posted:   06/25/2012 02:23:19 PM PDT
Updated:   06/25/2012 02:49:52 PM PDT

1 of 24Michael Jackson2
Elizabeth Taylor, seen in this April 1986 file photo with Michael Jackson at the horse races at Hollywood Park. (Los Angles Times/MCT)

Related Stories
Jun 25:
Michael Jackson: Best of the old photos and new stories
On the third anniversary of Michael Jackson's death. R. Kelly shared a story with People.com about the first day they met -- and how they ended up at a Chicago mall.
Kelly details in his upcoming book "Soulacoaster: The Diary of Me" about how he wrote "You Are Not Alone" for Jackson, and met him when Jackson began recording the song.
"He looked at least eight feet tall," Kelly wrote. "He looked like an avatar. He was wearing a black mask over his face. Only his eyes were showing.
Finally, Mike walked over to me. He looked in my eyes, opened his arms, and gave me the hug of my life, whispering to me in his lighter-than-air, soft, high voice. 'The world's gonna be singing this song.'
"I blurted out something silly like, 'Congratulations on everything you've done, Mike. Congratulations on being Michael Jackson.'
"Just about then, Bubbles the chimp pranced into the room. In my mind, I called Bubbles 'Trouble.' The chimp made me nervous.
'He's friendly, isn't he, Mike?'
'Oh, yes, he's not going to hurt you.'
'Anyway,' I said, 'I'm just glad you like the song.'
'I don't like it, Rob. I love it. I don't want to change one thing. I want to sing it just the way you wrote it. You captured me beautifully. That's the reason I came here. We can get started just as soon as I do my vocal warm-ups.'
"'If you excuse me for a minute,' I said, 'I'll be right back.'
Advertisement

"I walked to the bathroom and just fell out on the floor. I broke down and cried. It wasn't that Michael Jackson was singing my song; it was that Michael had felt how I'd caught his spirit. Michael Jackson had come to Chicago to work with me!
"'Rob,' he said in that high, singsong voice, "would you mind coming in here and singing backgrounds with me?'
"Mind? Are you kidding? Michael Jackson was asking me to sing with him!
"I had to practically stop myself from running to the vocal booth. I paced myself so I could walk slowly, but in my heart I felt like a little girl.
"When we started to sing, the blend was perfect. We were butter and toast. He did that some rocking motion I'd seen him do on 'We Are the World.' Sitting there next to me -- my voice over his, his voice over mine -- I tasted heaven. Heaven on earth. Brother, this is as good as it gets.
"'You know, Rob," he said later that afternoon, "sometimes it can take me a month to get a song where I want it.'
"'Me, too, Mike,' I agreed. 'Sometimes it takes me more than a month.'
"'I'm glad you understand. You'll be patient with me, won't you?'
—I'll be whatever you want me to be, Mike. It's still like a dream for me."
Then, the King of Pop made an unexpected request
"'Can I ask you something else?'
"'Sure.'
"'Is there a mall around here, Rob?'
"'Just a couple of blocks away.'
"'Would you go there with me? I love malls.'
"'I love 'em too, Mike. Let's roll.'
This is where, out of respect for the King of Pop, we don't make a "What happens when Michael Jackson goes to the mall with R. Kelly" joke. Back to the story:
"With Bubbles and the security team in place, we went to Water Tower Place, one of the nicest malls in Chicago. Michael headed straight for the Disney store where he was fascinated by a larger-than-life statue of Donald Duck hung above the entrance.
"'That's beautiful,' said Michael. 'Do you think they'd sell it to me? I'd love to have Donald Duck for Neverland.'
"'Couldn't hurt to ask,' I said.
"Of course Michael Jackson walking into the Disney store caused a near-riot. When the manager appeared, Michael couldn't have been sweeter: 'Is there any way I could buy that Donald Duck?' he asked.
"'I'm afraid not, Mr. Jackson. It's permanently built into the front of the store.'
"'Oh, that's a shame,' Michael said politely. 'But thank you anyway, sir.'
"I'd never met anyone with better manners.
The pair worked on perfecting the song over the next three weeks and spent time chatting together in the studio.
"The experience of working with Mike was drama-free. Every night after he left the studio and got in his van, people were hanging out the windows of office buildings and hotels, stretching their necks to get a glimpse of him. He'd always stop and wave.
"When the job was done and it was time for him to leave Chicago, he gave me another hug and said, 'You're my brother.'
"I was too choked up to say anything."
Contact Tony Hicks at thicks@bayareanewsgroup.com or on Facebook at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.

huh?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be shrewd as serpents and as innocent as doves."  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Why not just tell people I'm an alien from Mars? Tell them I eat live chickens and do a voodoo dance at midnight. They'll believe anything you say, because you're a reporter. But if I, Michael Jackson, were to say, "I'm an alien from Mars and I eat live chickens and do a voodoo dance at midnight," people would say, "Oh, man, that Michael Jackson is nuts. He's cracked up. You can't believe a single word that comes out of his mouth."

blankie

• Registered users
  • Hoaxer
  • View Profile
  • It's all for L.O.V.E.
Thanks for this articles  hesouttamylife  :bearhug:  :moonwalk_:  I am translating !!!  :Crash: :computer-losy-smiley: :compute: :smiley-vault-misc-150: :icon_razz:
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
LOVE YOU MORE

sweetsunsetwithMJ

• Hoaxer
  • View Profile
  • Michael I am looking forward to your BAM!!
The sweetest story I ever read about Michael, thank you so much Hesouttamylife, I wish I had been there with him when he saw that Donald Duck, it must have been very funny to see his face fascinated by that huge doll, he is very childish and I love it, BTW Michael I deserve one of your sweet hugs honey  :bearhug:
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
I WANNA BE WHERE YOU ARE!!

I love it! It's always good to hear about the true Michael! Thanks for posting!

Stay blessed!

OnTheWingsOfLove
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Defender of the faith, Supporter of the Word!"

Thank you hesoutamylife, i love to read these kind of story's.

He's the greatest entertainer of all times! The most famous human ever.

And yet so humble, and warm and loving.

:bearhug:

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
“In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.”
― Michael Jackson

sweetsunsetwithMJ

• Hoaxer
  • View Profile
  • Michael I am looking forward to your BAM!!
Thank you hesoutamylife, i love to read these kind of story's.

He's the greatest entertainer of all times! The most famous human ever.

And yet so humble, and warm and loving.

:bearhug:

And polite A REAL GENTLEMAN of the few that still left!!
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
I WANNA BE WHERE YOU ARE!!

AngelGraduatedbyMJ

:bearhug: Thank you so much for this story... R Kelly is one of my favorite artists. My favorite stories about Michael are the artistic collaborations stories... I'm just fascinated when two musical geniuses meet and create. ANother great story is when Freddie Mercury visited Michael ... I just love it because they were different but they still had a lot in common, and were each other's fans.

One of my favorite song EVER is "The World's Greatest" by R. Kelly.  This song makes me literally cry everytime I hear it because to me, it captures Michael perfectly. Especially when the lyrics say : " I am a giant
I am an eagle
I am a lion
Down in the jungle
I am a marchin' band
I am the people
I am a helpin' hand
And I am a hero..."

There's a tribute video someone made with this song, and no tribute video moved me more than this one.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqDy6mzTHW8[/youtube]

I was with my boyfriend, I showed him the vid and I said: "it's funny how from all the professional tribute vids we saw on memorials, on tv,on documentaries, this one is by far the best." He agreed and he said something very true: " Because only a fan can capture him that well... it's not something he had to do for work, he/she made it with his/her heart, just to express his love for Michael." I love my man!
I like how the vid starts with Michael, the little boy with a dream... how it shows him discovering the Apollo's theater stage, and then he sees himself doing the Moonwalk. Then we see the all records artist, the music and dance Icon, and then we see the Hero, the philantropist, the "helping hand". The effect he had on the crowd with him quoting Katherine :" When you were a little baby, and I held you in my arms, I never thought you'll do that, that you'll have that effect on people." So moving... hmph.
I hope you'll like it  :'(
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Yet neither the glittering crowns of royalty, nor the impressive might of statesmen, nor the luxurious comfort of five-star hotels caused his eyes to turn away from the needs of others."

Andrea

I always liked this R Kelly tribute to MJ, I think I originally saw it on here but it was quite a while ago.  I love the crowd's reactions to MJ's dancing in the car clip, that part starts at about 2:22.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJv4Ivb7Too[/youtube]
Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 08:30:23 PM by Andrea
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

I love reading these too - thank you for sharing.

These stories are the ones that really need to be shared and hopefully they will replace the old lies that were told by money-hungry and attention-seeking media.

Michael - just a reminder, in case you read this. We miss you.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
I'm proud to be a child of God and a member of MJ's Army of L.O.V.E.

"Press coverage of my life is like [watching] a fictitious movie...like watching science fiction. It's not true." ~Michael Jackson (2005)

"You should not believe everything you read. You are missing the most important revelations". Craig Harvey 3-15-2012

AngelGraduatedbyMJ

:) Thank you Andrea.... It was nice to watch that again. Yeah the crowd's reaction is so heartwarming. It's hard to be objective being a fan, but come on, who can make people scream just "dancing" and acting silly in a car? There's something mystical about Michael.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Yet neither the glittering crowns of royalty, nor the impressive might of statesmen, nor the luxurious comfort of five-star hotels caused his eyes to turn away from the needs of others."

Andrea

:) Thank you Andrea.... It was nice to watch that again. Yeah the crowd's reaction is so heartwarming. It's hard to be objective being a fan, but come on, who can make people scream just "dancing" and acting silly in a car? There's something mystical about Michael.

You're welcome, it's a great clip to watch!  My friends and I used to have a choreographed car dance to that song back in the day, lol.  But our dance was literal with the lyrics.  There was nothing mystical about that, haha. 
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

its cute that RKelly got star struck and congratulated michael on being michael.. lol
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
People laugh when I explain. And though they may laugh, that doesn't change the fact that it's still the truth.

Michael is Alive
The end of evil is nigh
Trust in God
The righteous will prevail

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal