paula-cTopic starter

The famous star of the Galapagos, "Lonesome Jorge" leaves a legacy of hope

(Quito, June 26. EFE). - The death of "Lonesome Jorge", the last of giant tortoise of the species Chelonoidis abingdoni and in the last 40 years was the icon of the Galapagos Islands of Ecuador, has stopped inheritance in the hope that it is possible to preserve the planet.

That's one of the conclusions they reach two characters intimately linked to sea turtle's survival, the rangers Fausto Llerena, who cared for him since 1983, Stuart Banks, director of the Research Station "Charles Darwin", based in the archipelago .

" It's a big loss for staff, for the Galapagos National Park (GNP) for the province of Galapagos and the whole world, "he said Efe Llerena, a reserve guard island 71 years of age is considered" the father "of" Jorge "or" George ".

Last Sunday, when he went to see him, Llerena noted that the tortoise, over a hundred years, it was to receive as always and came to his call. He found him dead in his yard site of the Center for Reproduction and Breeding of Turtles , on Santa Cruz.

In a world where man and his progress has conquered almost all areas, meet the extinction of a natural kind is regrettable, but is almost a tragedy "see with own eyes" , told Efe Llerena, who mourns and allowed to slide tears at the memory of your turtle

How to cope with the conversation, remember that in Reproduction Center there are seventy adult turtles and over a thousand small, born in captivity and with the best care, but none of them as "Jorge", whose body will be embalmed for presentation at a museum Santa Cruz Island.

"I took care of (daily), fed him, was cleaning" of your space and some Saturdays or Sundays " visited him to check on him ... Now no one we get in the door " of the pen, Llerena said that although I knew this moment would come, never prepared for it

"I recognized perfectly, when you followed me and stood up, he also raised the neck and opened his mouth, as I wanted to say something but I did not understand," he continued.

For Stuart Banks, Station "Charles Darwin", the death of "Lonesome George" is most acute for those who were closest to him , although a loss mourned worldwide, especially in the scientific world, it seen as an emblem.

"Jorge was very symbolic, but there are plenty of other species that are threatened," said Banks, who says that "it is important to have these icons" to continue the work.

And is that the turtle has attracted scientists to the Galapagos Islands, located about a thousand miles west of the mainland coasts of Ecuador and is a Natural Heritage of Humanity.

Thus, Banks says that a "positive" in the death of "Jorge", " Are all the programs that have been carried out to protect and repopulate "turtle in the different islands.

He also recalled that the scientific community struggled to prevent the extinction of "Jorge", who even had a harem at his disposal, with females of the subspecies is very similar to yours.

Finally, the eggs of these females did not germinate, but the process did achieve progress achieved to help other species.

Even in 2003, talked about the possibility that "Jorge" was cloned , when the British scientist Ian Wilmut, known as "the father of Dolly", visited Ecuador.

So far this is still a debate in the world of science that has less to do with both medical technology but with ethics.

That's why Banks's death to "Jorge" one clear message: " There is hope, you can take necessary actions (...) to protect the planet. That it is possible ", as demonstrated by the restocking of giant tortoises and other species in the Galapagos.

"We all have to do something to protect the planet" and that "Jorge is the message," added the director of the Research Station "Charles Darwin".

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

bec

I saw that article about Lonesome Jorge. We lost another species yesterday.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Are you entertained?

Andrea

Poor Jorge, the last of his kind.  This makes me very sad.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Grace

The famous star of the Galapagos, "Lonesome Jorge" leaves a legacy of hope

I was checking the photo above for technical data. EXIF data are very detailed.
This is a handout photo, received by Reuters and distributed by Reuters.

REUTERS/Directorate of the Galapagos National Park/Handout (ECUADOR - Tags: SOCIETY ANIMALS) FOR EDITORIAL USE ONLY. NOT FOR SALE FOR MARKETING OR ADVERTISING CAMPAIGNS. THIS IMAGE HAS BEEN SUPPLIED BY A THIRD PARTY. IT IS DISTRIBUTED, EXACTLY AS RECEIVED BY REUTERS, AS A SERVICE TO CLIENTS

[...]

Date and Time (Original)
2012:06:25 02:40:50+00:00

Thumbnail Date of Creation2012:06:26 07:10:20-04:30
SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS5.1 MacintoshModify Date2012:06:26 07:11:03

It was however announced that LG was found dead on June 24, 2012 at 8 a.m.

Current temperature on Pinta Island is around 80°F / 27°C.

Do we believe that Lonely George was left in the sun for one and a half day to take only then the above "handed out" picture?

I don't.

Btw:
que se realice la necropsia respectiva, mientras su cuerpo permanece en una cámara de frío para evitar su descomposición.
necropsy is performed respectively, while his body remains in a cold chamber to prevent decomposition.

So WHEN was the photo above taken and why were the data falsified?

Interesting information that bec found the very same day LG died:
Seemingly off topic, I was reading an article on the Supreme Court decision possibly coming tomorrow and the gist of the article is how there are no leaks with information from the Supreme Court, so we all wait with great anticipation for their announcement.

Miller noted that all the lampposts at the entrances and exits of the Supreme Court building are supported by turtle sculptures, which can also be found elsewhere in the building. It's an apt symbol for the court.

"They like information to move slowly and deliberately," Miller said.

Link to the article if anyone's interested You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

So court is dead?
Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 01:26:31 PM by Grace
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Create your day. Create the most astounding year of your life. Be the change you want to see in the world! L.O.V.E.
***********************************************************************************************
"I am tired, I am really tired of manipulation." Michael Jackson, Harlem, New York, NY, July 6, 2002
***********************************************************************************************
******* Let's tear the walls in the brains of this world down.*******

Time to BE.

~Souza~

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Grace

No. Because it's not true.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Create your day. Create the most astounding year of your life. Be the change you want to see in the world! L.O.V.E.
"I am tired, I am really tired of manipulation." Michael Jackson, Harlem, New York, NY, July 6, 2002

Time to BE.

paula-cTopic starter

No. Because it's not true.

Do you think Jorge not died? :suspect:
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Grace

The photo was allegedly taken one and a half day after the tortoise was announced to have been found dead and put into a freezing chamber to execute a necropsy later.

Who would carry him out to take a handout photo for the world to see and put him back into the chamber again?

Who would fake a photo for which purpose?

If the photo was taken on June 25, it does NOT show LG.

Ahh, why oh why am I so much reminded of putting a "lonely George" on a stretcher, into a freezing chamber for an autopsy, on another June 25 and "the other day" (before).
Michael, this is really sarcastic now. Bah. Corner time.

SEHF, it's nothing personal, I am sure he likes you a lot just as we do.
Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 11:05:17 PM by Grace
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Time to BE.

Andrea

So you think it's a turtle death hoax?  Would seem appropriate some how.

I hope Jorge is still alive but I don't know.  Something to consider.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

~Souza~

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

SEHF is devastated.

When I read about it this morning I thought of SEHF.  :icon_lol:

seriously though... so sad.  :icon_cry:
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
'Money...Lie for it Spy for it Kill for it Die for it They'd kill for the money Do or dare'

Grace

Maybe it's time to think about the next American revolution and "leaves a legacy of hope".

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login[/url]

by You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:29 pm
December 2, 2009 Redirection:

Edit:
Pinta Island has an altitude of 777 m.
Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 03:31:30 PM by Grace
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Time to BE.

MissG

So sad event.

My condolences to SEHF
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
("Minkin güerveeeee")
Michael pls come back

"Why a four-year-old child could understand this hoax. Run out and find me a four-year-old child. I can't make head nor tail out of it"

MJonmind

Lonesome George, dies June 24, 2012
June 27, 2012, 04:25:19 PM
When I saw this, I thought of SEHF and his love for these amazing unique and beautiful creatures, the turtle!
Thank you SEHF for bringing our focus there even though it may seem unrelated on the surface. You've added a certain er 'wild' and green element to the hoax!! :icon_lol:
But maybe not unrelated... :icon_e_wink: MJ loves animals, people and the planet. And he also said, "For those of you who like living on the wild side, this one's for you!"  So it fits!!!

Alexandra Valencia and Eduardo Garcia, Reuters  Jun 24, 2012 – 8:41 PM ET

QUITO — Lonesome George, the last remaining tortoise of his kind and a conservation icon, died on Sunday of unknown causes, the Galapagos National Park said. He was thought to be about 100 years old.

Lonesome George was found in 1972 and had become a symbol of Ecuador’s Galapagos Islands, which attracted some 180,000 visitors last year.

“This morning the park ranger in charge of looking after the tortoises found Lonesome George, his body was motionless,” the head of the Galapagos National Park, Edwin Naula, told Reuters. “His life cycle came to an end.”

The dead body of giant Galapagos tortoise "Lonesome George" is moved on a stretcher from his corral in the island of Puerto Ayora, the Galapagos Islands June 24, 2012.
George was believed to be around 100 years old and the last member of a species of giant tortoise from La Pinta, one of the smallest islands in the Galapagos, the Galapagos National Park said.

The giant Galapagos tortoises, which can live up to 200 years old, were among the species that helped Charles Darwin formulate his theory of evolution in the 19th century.

The Galapagos National Park is considering embalming George’s body so that it can be displayed in the park, Naula said.

A spokesperson said the park plans to carry out a necropsy to determine what may have killed the tortoise.

Scientists had been trying to get George to mate since 1993, when they introduced two female tortoises of a different subspecies into his pen. They laid eggs twice, but they were infertile.

The pen where George lived was visited by thousands of tourists every year, who often had to scramble with each other to take pictures of one of the rarest creatures on Earth.

The islands often attract celebrities, including Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt earlier this year.

Tortoises were hunted for their meat by sailors and fishermen to the point of extinction, while their habitat has been eaten away by goats introduced from the mainland.

Some 20,000 giant tortoises still live on the Galapagos. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

The Galápagos tortoise or Galápagos giant tortoise (Chelonoidis nigra) is the largest living species of tortoise and 10th-heaviest living reptile, reaching weights of over 400 kg (880 lb) and lengths of over 1.8 meters (5.9 ft). With life spans in the wild of over 100 years, it is one of the longest-lived vertebrates. A captive individual lived at least 170 years.
The tortoise is native to seven of the Galápagos Islands, a volcanic archipelago about 1,000 km (620 mi) west of the Ecuadorian mainland. Spanish explorers, who discovered the islands in the 16th century, named them after the Spanish galápago, meaning tortoise.
Shell size and shape vary between populations. On islands with humid highlands, the tortoises are larger, with domed shells and short necks - on islands with dry lowlands, the tortoises are smaller, with "saddleback" shells and long necks. Charles Darwin's observations of these differences on the second voyage of the Beagle in 1835, contributed to the development of his theory of evolution.

Tortoise numbers declined from over 250,000 in the 16th century to a low of around 3,000 in the 1970s. This decline was caused by exploitation of the species for meat and oil, habitat clearance for agriculture, and introduction of non-native animals to the islands, such as rats, goats, and pigs. Ten subspecies of the original fifteen survive in the wild; an eleventh subspecies (C. n. abingdoni) had only a single known living individual, kept in captivity and nicknamed Lonesome George until his death in June 2012. Conservation efforts, beginning in the 20th century, have resulted in thousands of captive-bred juveniles being released onto their ancestral home islands, and it is estimated that the total number of the species exceeded 19,000 at the start of the 21st century. Despite this rebound, the species as a whole is classified as "vulnerable" by the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN).  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RK

Re: Lonesome George, dies June 24, 2012
June 27, 2012, 07:23:13 PM
It is always so sad to see a species gone. Paula had started a thread about George here. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 07:26:57 PM by RK
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions