You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Aide to Michael Jackson manager Frank Dileo plans a musical with 'some of the dirt' based on real-life drama

Mark Lamica says touring production will have high notes and low notes like one of showbiz's most spectacular careers

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Published: Sunday, June 24, 2012, 6:00 AM
Updated: Sunday, June 24, 2012, 6:00 AM

The King of Pop's ties with longtime manager Frank Dileo helped inspire a new musical project.

The former right-hand man of Michael Jackson’s late manager aims to spill a few industry secrets.

Mark Lamica , who spent nine years working with Frank Dileo, tells us he’s planning a musical tour that will be loosely based on dealings between the King of Pop and the legendary cigar-chomping music man Dileo, who died in August 2011.

Lamica tells us the “dramical,” which he calls “The Man,” will follow the blueprint of the Oscar-winning movie “Dreamgirls” by showing the “ins and outs and ups and downs” of the music business, with “some of the dirt” sprinkled in for added drama.

“It’s a behind-the-scenes look at what goes into the making of a superstar client through the eyes of a manager,” Lamica says.

The Jackson and Dileo characters will bear some resemblance to the actual men, but the musical’s story will purposely be “vague,” Lamica explains, so producers won’t have to deal with Jackson’s estate.

“People who know will know, and others won’t,” says Lamica.

Dileo served as Jackson’s manager during the superstar’s heyday in the ’80s. They parted ways at the end of the decade, but reunited shortly before Jackson’s death in 2009.

Prior to his death at 64 from heart complications, Dileo was working on an autobiography that was intended to expose music industry secrets. We reported last August that Dileo had grown increasingly disenchanted with the co-executors of Jackson’s estate.

Lamica says part of the play will be “very loosely based” on secrets his former partner planned to expose.

While the inspiration for the play can be traced to the Jackson-Dileo relationship, Lamica says it could be about “any manager and his iconic, major star.”

“This could be [manager] Freddy [DeMann] and Madonna. This could be [manager] Scooter [ Braun] and Justin Bieber ,” he says.

Lamica will team with Grammy Award-winning composer and singer Larry Hart to produce original music for the show. None of Jackson’s iconic works will be used, again because Lamica doesn’t want to deal with the Jackson estate.

“I’m not getting involved with those clearances,” he says.

Casting has not begun, but Lamica, who’s now lining up producers, does have certain actors in mind. Auditions are tentatively set for next year, and while he wouldn’t provide any names, he did say the play will likely feature familiar faces from “The Sopranos” and “Goodfellas.” (Dileo played gangster Tuddy Cicero in the latter.)

When we first got wind of the play, we were told Broadway was its target, but Lamica says he’d prefer to take the show on the road and eventually turn a “cautionary tale for future artists” into a movie.

Contact Gatecrasher:

Frank DiGiacomo: fdigiacomo@nydailynews.com

Carson Griffith: cgriffith@nydailynews.com

Adam Caparell: acaparell@nydailynews.com

Follow us on Twitter: @NYDNGatecrasher

Read more: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

You rocked my world, you know you did
And everything I own I give
The rarest love who\'d think I\'d find
Someone like you to call mine

"Let us dream of tomorrow where we can truly love from the soul, and know love as the ultimate truth at the heart of all creation."
------Michael Jackson

Those who go beneath the surface do so at their peril. --Oscar Wilde

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RK

A 'dramical' called 'The Man' .......very interesting choice of title.

I just hope that the dirt sprinkled in for drama will be the dirty industry exposed.....

There's a man
Everybody thought they knew
Ooh, there's such a man
He's not like me and you

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

This is a bit offtopic but what ever happened to that movie based on Michael's death? Did it ever get made? I don't remember the exact name but it had a * in it. I think it was something along the lines of 'when a *star is killed' but I don't remember.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Everytime I try to find him he's leaving no clues left behind him. And they have no way of knowing of the suspect, or what to expect
- My Smooth Criminal

L.O.V.E the world!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal