Witney Houston died from drowning
March 22, 2012, 05:01:40 PM
HOME  >  AP  >  ENTERTAINMENT

Sponsored By:
Updated: 5:44 p.m. Thursday, March 22, 2012 | Posted: 5:41 p.m. Thursday, March 22, 2012
Houston died from drowning, coroner says
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Associated Press
FILE - This Jan. 17, 2009 file photo shows singer Whitney Houston at the BET Honors in the Warner Theatre in Washington. Coroner's officials said Thursday, March 22, 2012, that Houston drowned, but her death was also caused by heart disease and cocaine use that suggested she was chronically using the drug. Houston died Feb. 11, in California at the age of 48. (AP Photo/Evan Agostini, File)
View Larger

Associated Press
FILE - In this Oct. 28, 2006, file photo, musician Whitney Houston arrives at the 17th Carousel of Hope Ball benefiting the Barbara Davis Center for Childhood Diabetes in Beverly Hills, Calif. Coroner's officials said Thursday, March 22, 2012, that Houston drowned, but her death was also caused by heart disease and cocaine use that suggested she was chronically using the drug. Houston died Feb. 11, in California at the age of 48. (AP Photo/Matt Sayles)
View Larger

Associated Press
FILE - In this Feb. 12, 2011 file photo, singer Whitney Houston, left, and her daughter Bobbi Kristina arrive at the Pre-Grammy Gala & Salute to Industry Icons with Clive Davis honoring David Geffen in Beverly Hills, Calif. Coroner's officials said Thursday, March 22, 2012, that Houston drowned, but her death was also caused by heart disease and cocaine use that suggested she was chronically using the drug. Houston died Feb. 11, in California at the age of 48. (AP Photo/Dan Steinberg, file)
Sponsored Links

By ANTHONY McCARTNEY
The Associated Press
LOS ANGELES — Whitney Houston died from drowning in a hotel bathtub, but coroner's officials said Thursday that heart disease and chronic cocaine use were contributing factors to the singer's death.
The release of autopsy findings Thursday ends weeks of speculation about what killed the Grammy-winning singer on Feb. 11 on the eve of the Grammy Award.
Houston was found submerged in the bathtub of her room at the Beverly Hilton Hotel and her death has been ruled as accidental. Several bottles of prescription medications were found in her hotel room, but coroner's officials said they weren't in excessive quantities.
Beverly Hills police said in a statement there was no evidence of wrongdoing in connection with Houston's death.
Coroner's spokesman Craig Harvey says cocaine and its metabolites were found in Houston's system, and it was listed as a contributing factor in her death. He says the results indicated Houston was a chronic cocaine user.
Houston died just hours before she was scheduled to appear at producer Clive Davis' pre-Grammy Awards bash.
The singer was buried in a New Jersey cemetery next to her father after an emotional four-hour funeral service that was attended by friends, family and superstars such as Oprah Winfrey, Tyler Perry, Alicia Keys, Mariah Carey, Mary J. Blige, Jennifer Hudson and Roberta Flack
Houston, a sensation from her first, eponymous album in 1985, was one of the world's best-selling artists from the mid-1980s to the late 1990s, turning out such hits as "I Wanna Dance With Somebody," ''How Will I Know," ''The Greatest Love of All" and "I Will Always Love You." But as she struggled with drugs, her majestic voice became raspy, and she couldn't hit the high notes.
Interest in her music has skyrocketed since her death, pushing her songs back on to charts and into heavy rotation on the radio.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Don't stop this child, He's the father of man
Don't cross his way, He's part of the plan
I am that child, but so are you
You've just forgotten, Just lost the clue.”

MJ "Magical Child"
Still Rocking my World…
   and leaving me Speechless!

“True goodbyes are the ones never said

PureLove

• Hoaxer
  • View Profile
  • To die would be an awfully big adventure.
Re: Witney Houston died from drowning
March 22, 2012, 05:12:11 PM
Coroner: Drowning, heart disease, cocaine use killed Houston

The cause of singer Whitney Houston's death was drowning and the "effects of atherosclerotic heart disease and cocaine use," the Los Angeles County coroner's office said Thursday.

She was found dead last month in the bathtub of her hotel room in Beverly Hills, California.

The manner of death was listed as an "accident."

Cocaine and metabolites were identified and contributory to her death, the report said.

Other drugs identified in Houston's body were marijuana, alprazolam (Xanax), cyclobenzaprine (Flexeril) and diphenhydramine (Benadryl), but they "did not contribute to the death," the report said. Flexeril is a muscle relaxant, and Benadryl is an allergy medicine.

No trauma or foul play is suspected, the report said. The final coroner's report will be available within two weeks, the coroner's office said.

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tink

March 22, 2012, 11:42:19 PM
Well, I did post I strongly suspected heart disease. Because that's the exact same one that silently kills in my family...and I just recently was diagnosed. Completely preventable, but with dietary changes, along with medications. When she was refused her face lift, I was pretty sure.

Cocaine can cause sudden heart attacks...even in young people. That's why cocaine has fallen by the wayside as a party drug out here - no one wants heart damage.

One of the drugs I'm on, Topamax for Migraines & Epilepsy, is oft given off label to addicts, to see if it can help with their desire for that drug.

Dr. Drew took an awful lot of flack, for insisting she needed REHAB, instead of going to a movie set, and partying. I believe the good doctor indeed, was the only one who could clearly cut through the BS, and see a soul fighting for her life!

May God bless you, Whitney. May you sing with the Angels, and finally be free of your demons.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Black & Proud! I'm like the Oracle/Batgirl, who helps Batman in the comic books. I believe in "Comic Book justice."

~Souza~

March 23, 2012, 05:05:17 AM
Yeah, I don't get it. Didn't the coroner say that she didn't have enough water in her lungs to have been drowned? And why did they have to wait for tox reports in order to know she had a heart disease? That would have been seen already at the autopsy table.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

gwynned

March 23, 2012, 05:52:11 AM
I found this part of the report interesting and all too familiar:

Other drugs identified in Houston's body were marijuana, alprazolam (Xanax), cyclobenzaprine (Flexeril) and diphenhydramine (Benadryl), but they "did not contribute to the death," the report said. Flexeril is a muscle relaxant, and Benadryl is an allergy medicine.

Not logical as Mr. Spock would say.  I would think the cocaine would keep her above the water, xanax might cause her to fall asleep and slump under the water. 
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

suspicious mind

March 23, 2012, 06:27:28 AM
Yeah, I don't get it. Didn't the coroner say that she didn't have enough water in her lungs to have been drowned? And why did they have to wait for tox reports in order to know she had a heart disease? That would have been seen already at the autopsy table.
yeah i remember the part about the not enough water.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be shrewd as serpents and as innocent as doves."  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Why not just tell people I'm an alien from Mars? Tell them I eat live chickens and do a voodoo dance at midnight. They'll believe anything you say, because you're a reporter. But if I, Michael Jackson, were to say, "I'm an alien from Mars and I eat live chickens and do a voodoo dance at midnight," people would say, "Oh, man, that Michael Jackson is nuts. He's cracked up. You can't believe a single word that comes out of his mouth."

March 23, 2012, 07:44:28 AM
I posted this because I found it quite interesting that the report would come out only after Dionne had alluded to the heart attack theory on national t.v.  Though they are not calling it a heart attack persay, they are certainly leaving it open to suggestion.  And yes, I clearly recall it being said early on that she didn't have enough water in her lungs to have drowned.  No cocaine was found in her room BTW.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions