Fortunately laws have changed towards children and discipline practices in this country.  You can still spank a child, but you'd be hard pressed not to leave any bruises.  Beatings, such as the ones Michael describes and ones I'm well aware of because we got them as children too, are subject to child protection laws.  And for the most part, that's a good thing.  We don't own children just because we birth them.  They are gifts and are on loan to us to nurture and rear so that they will be able to go out into the world as adults and become productive citizens.  They are not given to take out our insecurities and/or failures on which is what many of these violent outbursts are the results of.  Children are human beings who look to us for protection and guidance.  That doesn't include beating the living daylights out of them or verbally, emotionally, medically abusing and/or neglecting them.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Don't stop this child, He's the father of man
Don't cross his way, He's part of the plan
I am that child, but so are you
You've just forgotten, Just lost the clue.”

MJ "Magical Child"
Still Rocking my World…
   and leaving me Speechless!

“True goodbyes are the ones never said

Sarahli

@MJonmind, thank you!

Gina
24 Whoever spares the rod hates their children,
   but the one who loves their children is careful to discipline them.

I think that people tend to read and interpret things according to their own situation, background or personality. It all comes down to what we understand is “discipline”. I understand the “rod” in an allegorical way: as being firm -- especially with difficult children -- so that they do not venture into wrong and dangerous paths. It’s a parent’s responsibility, an act of love; this is how I understand this verse. It doesn’t invite to using violence which has nothing to do with discipline – this verse is about loving the children and teaching them what is good. It invites parents to take care of them and to not abandon them without good discipline, innocent at the mercy of potential misguidance.

I don’t think that any physical punishment even just a spanking has ever made a child really understand the reason why he received it. On the contrary the fear and cries generated by such an act will close the child’s mind to any real understanding. If they are going to stop the behaviour that caused him/her to receive a punishment it will most probably be because they want to avoid another punishment but they may not have understood why it was a bad thing to do what they did.

The kind of physical abuse Michael suffered from is awful and unbearable. We have passed beyond simple discipline, we are in the realm of maybe "trauma" because it is something that leaves an indelible footprint in someone's heart and soul and some people may not be able to overcome such a pain. Hopefully Michael managed to do it and by the grace of God all his ordeals are being transformed into bounties. So the best is to come indeed. 
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
We are here for you Michael and will always love you whatever happens.
'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.'
"You shall not accept any information, unless you verify it for yourself. I have given you the hearing, the eyesight, and the brain, and you are responsible for using them."

diggyonTopic starter

Guys you don't have to thank me for this thread. I just wanted to remind everyone of what Michael has been through. I know he had a very hard time when he was a child. But I believe that the pain we face is sometimes the instrument that can be used to help others.
God helps people. But he also puts the power in some people's hands and make them help others. Michael's suffering was that kind of power. I also believe that those who have a strong faith in God are those who are facing many troubles in life so they can prove that their faith is real!!

@ Sarahli,

I totally agree with what you wrote!!
Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 12:42:52 PM by diggyon
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Together we are strong

You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time.
Abraham Lincoln

Thank you Michael for letting me discover the truth!

I lost the bet, Sarahli won it! ! ! loool

diggyonTopic starter

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDpJY1qwuhM[/youtube]

:P   :P

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIGvE7ZSKb0&feature=watch_response[/youtube]

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Together we are strong

You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time.
Abraham Lincoln

diggyonTopic starter

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLOFqiw0-j8&NR=1&feature=endscreen[/youtube]
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Together we are strong

Abraham Lincoln

WMADhashisShadow

Thank you so much Diggyon for all the powerful and poignant videos...I too am moved to tears.

I really felt for Michael so much, even though I can only imagine some of his suffering, I could empathize with his pain.

I also had a very strict upbringing and was terrified of my Father who I remember would line his belts up along the bed and make us choose one. My older brother probably had it worse and he would bully me sometimes to regain some power I suspect. He would lock me in the coal cellar when I was too little to reach the light switch and I would scream to be let me out for what seemed like an eternity. I was so scared of the dark. He would also give me Chinese burns, as well as other punishments. I forgive him now and my Dad but it has left it's emotional scars.

I wrote this poem a long time ago. I would like to dedicate it to Michael and all the other lost children and walking wounded out there with much love...

Somewhere Safe

I wasn't there
When he stole my innocence from me
I couldn't bear to look, to see,
That the casualty-
was me.

I wasn't there
Through the violence or the pain
I didn't dare to go insane
So I learnt to hide
Sheltered from the rain
Somewhere safe inside.

I wasn't there
When he shut my soul away
I didn't care to cry
In that darkened day
Strangely their prison had somehow set me free
Not to care, for me.

I wasn't there
When my mother cut my hair
So short, it made me bleed inside
But I knew where to hide
Somewhere safe inside

I wasn't there
When they took my baby from me
I knew I had to set "my" baby free
Free, to mother me.

I wasn't there
When I tried to take my life
I never felt the blade
Of the friendly knife
I had no need to hide
I was somewhere,
Somewhere safe inside.

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Oh no, a star can never die. It just turns into a smile and melts back into the cosmic music, the dance of life."  Michael Jackson.

GINAFELICIA

• Hoaxer
  • View Profile
  • Playing it safe is the riskiest choice.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Thank you so much Diggyon for all the powerful and poignant videos...I too am moved to tears.

I really felt for Michael so much, even though I can only imagine some of his suffering, I could empathize with his pain.

I also had a very strict upbringing and was terrified of my Father who I remember would line his belts up along the bed and make us choose one. My older brother probably had it worse and he would bully me sometimes to regain some power I suspect. He would lock me in the coal cellar when I was too little to reach the light switch and I would scream to be let me out for what seemed like an eternity. I was so scared of the dark. He would also give me Chinese burns, as well as other punishments. I forgive him now and my Dad but it has left it's emotional scars.

I wrote this poem a long time ago. I would like to dedicate it to Michael and all the other lost children and walking wounded out there with much love...

Somewhere Safe

I wasn't there
When he stole my innocence from me
I couldn't bear to look, to see,
That the casualty-
was me.

I wasn't there
Through the violence or the pain
I didn't dare to go insane
So I learnt to hide
Sheltered from the rain
Somewhere safe inside.