~Souza~Topic starter

Website changes
March 06, 2012, 05:02:50 AM
I am working on the website, which is why you see all kinds of strange things happening on the homepage. For hours no one even noticed, but apparently some of you still use the homepage to go to the forum. I went to bed yesterday without changing the homepage back to normal, so people thought I deleted the whole thing without letting you know. Sorry for that, haha.

Anyway, as long as I am changing stuff, you will always be able to enter the forum using its own link: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Then there is an issue I would like your opinion on. What I want for the site is to make it more interactive. I want everything in one place and I want people to log in just once. To make that possible, I will have to do a fresh forum install so that I can link it to the Wordpress system. After that I will probably be able to restore all the posts, but I am not sure I want to. The database this forum is running on has been hacked and fixed and formatted and all since day one, and I think a fresh, new database is not such a bad idea, and we can use this one as an archive and only transfer important threads, or informative threads to the fresh install. What I want for the new website is to make the whole website sort of a community thing, so that everyone can use the whole site instead of just the forum. The website itself is too static and I lack time to keep it up-to-date. In this new format I can assign authors who (for example) can post news, or other important articles or whatever else they can contribute to the website. I can integrate a new chat where you don't have to register for seperately etc. Plus I think it's a good idea to split the forum in 2: 1 for off topic things so that people can talk about anything they want without being ticked off that it's off topic, and one (same format and lay-out as this one) for the actual hoax investigation so that people who are annoyed by off-topic stuff don't have to be bothered with it. See it as sort of a private facebook site. It will be easier for all to use and the site will be less static.

I am now trying to find a theme that will work with these ideas and as long as it's not hoax-proof, I will keep this forum open at all times, sometimes only accessible through the link above. But as I am still working things out, ideas are very welcome. Please let me know what you think.

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RK

Re: Website changes
March 06, 2012, 05:20:11 AM
I like the idea of everything being in one place. While I may take a bit to adjust to change, it is a necessary part of life....so change away Souza. Seems necessary to have the split for off topics and hoax related as well.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GINAFELICIA

• Hoaxer
  • View Profile
  • Playing it safe is the riskiest choice.
March 06, 2012, 05:26:43 AM
no...but you will do it anyway
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

MaryK

• Registered users
  • Hoaxer
  • View Profile
  • The world is just illusion, trying to change you
March 06, 2012, 05:39:38 AM
First of all: great idea Souza. I think it´s important to set things in motion once in a while.

Your concept sounds interesting and I think maybe it´s gonna make it easier for new members to obtain an overview, adjust and incorporate themselves into the forum.

However I have a few questions.
Are you planning on having editorial staff (which you call "authors" in your post) to let´s say avoid double posts as far as news are concerned?
What kind of topics are considered to be "off-hoax-topic" and will this mean that this part of the site will be more like a "fan based forum"?
What exactly does that mean "link to the Wordpress system? (Sorry I just don´t get that part, forgive my ignorance).

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You and I were never separate

It's just an illusion

Wrought by the magical lens of Perception

~Souza~Topic starter

March 06, 2012, 05:41:53 AM
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
no...but you will do it anyway

Certainly with such an answer. Maybe you can tell me WHAT exactly you don't want, so that I can change the site in a way everyone will agree with. I already said that this forum will not change and that I might transfer some and maybe all the threads to the new database, although I think it's better to start as fresh as possible, because this database has been kicked and bruised a lot. If I want to guarantee the forum's future, it's sometimes necessary to make changes to make sure it stays up the best and fastest way possible. We are on a forum that was converted from an old forum software, and even though I have no problems, or you, doesn't mean some other people can have. I noticed that the database freezes a lot and I have to call the host at least once a week to ask why and restart the server. Besides that, backing up takes 30 minutes every time I do that and in that time the forum is down because the back-up is too large. I have tried a hundred things to fix it the best way I can and to speed it up, but the problems are still there. That doesn't mean everyone has to register again, I can transfer everyone to the new install, just as I can transfer the threads to the new install. But transfering the threads will mean the same shit in the new database.

Let's say for example that MJ will bam somewhere this year and imagine the amount of people coming here then. This database can't handle that for sure, which means I already know that if I do nothing, you will not be able to visit the forum after the BAM. If I do make a fresh install (this one will always stay accessible and you will always be able to log in and view pm's or anything else you want) then you might be able to chat here after bam. Of course I have no idea HOW MUCH people will visit here after the bam, might be too many even for the server to handle, but if I make sure that at least the software can handle that, I have done all I could. Just try to understand and share ideas or concerns I can actually use to make the best out of it for everyone. I know some don't like change, but that doesn't mean it's not needed sometimes.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

~Souza~Topic starter

March 06, 2012, 05:54:57 AM
First of all: great idea Souza. I think it´s important to set things in motion once in a while.

Your concept sounds interesting and I think maybe it´s gonna make it easier for new members to obtain an overview, adjust and incorporate themselves into the forum.

Are you planning on having editorial staff (which you call "authors" in your post) to let´s say avoid double posts as far as news are concerned?
What kind of topics are considered to be "off-hoax-topic" and will this mean that this part of the site will be more like a "fan based forum"?
What exactly does that mean "link to the Wordpress system? (Sorry I just don´t get that part, forgive my ignorance).

I am planning to have people who can post on the actual site, outside the forum, to keep important news up to date. Not as a discussion, but purely giving the facts. See it as the TMZ website, where the TMZ staff posts the news whenever there is news. Some of them can log into the site as author and are able to update the site. That way the site comes more 'alive' and therefore more attractive for people who don't post on the forum. The site is now static or 'dead'. If I want to update it I have to change the code and I don't have time to do that, hence why the latest news on the site is (I think) Elizabeth Taylor's death. People who visit for the first time might see that and think we have nothing to share since that. I hope that answers that question.

As for the off-topic stuff, I have noticed that (and mostly in quiet times) people are indeed using this forum as a fan forum. I don't mind, but it's annoying when you only want to read hoax-related topics. If I split it in two, we will have a (simple) forum where people can chat about anything, their dog, how awesome they think a certain kind of MJ video was etc. All hoax related topics will be on the hoax forum (this one, but cleaned up). This is not a fan-based website, but it's hard to ignore the fact that some people on here are die-hard fans and want to discuss fan based stuff, so in that way everyone will be happy. Plus there is no fanforum really for fans who believe he is alive, because they are being kicked off the moment they notice.

Lastly, a Wordpress based website is a website that has a so called contant management system behind it, which makes it possible that everyone can be part of the website, post comments etc. Just like for example TMZ, that also has a CMS behind the website. You can subscribe, log in, make articles if you are an author etc. I can make a so-called 'bridge' between Wordpress and SMF, so that you don't have to register also for the site, but are automatically logged in on both.

Did I answer your questions?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

MaryK

• Registered users
  • Hoaxer
  • View Profile
March 06, 2012, 06:05:02 AM
Yes Souza, you´ve answered all my questions.
Again: this is interesting and great stuff for sure!
I very much like the "community style" concept.
That´s a good way to cover all interests, no matter if they are hoax related or "fan related".
And, as I said above: I really believe that this kind of format will be very interesting and helpful especially for new members (which I really think is important).
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

It's just an illusion

March 06, 2012, 06:30:49 AM
Yes, I saw yesterday that happen with the homepage, because for the entrance to the forum, I always first opens the homepage. Ok, Souza, but I have some questions: Do you do a language panel on the new site? It is important to me because I use this panel here. 2 Do you know who hacked into the forum? 3 New website will be open website or closed website? 4 Do I need would to re-register  on the new website?
And I want you to restore messages, or at least, could you make a link to this forum.
Thanks in advance for your answers.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

paula-c

March 06, 2012, 07:37:49 AM

yes, it is a good idea, and in what i am concerned i have nothing against changes always i have adapted to them. In addition Souza is thinking about the future, to make the necessary changes now and not wait for the Bam. During the days of the trial of Murray had moments in which i could not go to the forum, i guess at the amount of people that visited him, something could occur. it usually but on a larger scale.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

MaryK

• Registered users
  • Hoaxer
  • View Profile
March 06, 2012, 07:55:23 AM
The more I think about it, the more I like it!

A community with stable parts such as maybe general hoax information for newbies and already established facts and outcome from investigation (kind of a hoax encyclopedia), a continously updated part with news that are hoax related or relevant and a part with a potpourri of fan related or general topics, a chat...and all that "all in one". And last but not least as you said Souza: with enough potential to deal with eventually occuring mass influx.
So it does not matter if one is interested in hoax stuff only or fan stuff or just in a good chat or liberating rant. Everything will be covered.

What more could one want?
I think this is gonna be very lively and fantastic.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

It's just an illusion

March 06, 2012, 08:28:55 AM
@Souza...

I don't know all the ins and outs of what it takes to keep and maintain the website....but I have full trust in you at the helm.  If you think that changes are needed and/or would benefit us going forward, then I say go for it.  We've had changes in the past, and although some changes took a bit of getting used to...we all adapted and the forum was/is better for the changes.  The thought of not being able to access the forum come BAM-time is not a good one  /overreacting/...so if these changes can help with that, then I'm all for it.

Some questions:

1) Will pm's that we've saved be affected?  I know that some were deleted in the cross-over last time...do you know if that will happen again?  It's not a huge issue...but if you know ahead of time that there's a possibility that some will be deleted, I'd appreciate the heads up.

2) Will there be an interuption during the process? (i.e. will the forum be down for any length of time while you make the changes?).  If so, for how long? 

3) As for copying over threads....could the most active threads be brought over, while the ones that haven't been active for awhile be archived?  I agree that not all threads/posts need to be copied over....but would hate to lose any threads/posts that are currently active.

4) Is there anything we can do to help you out?

With L.O.V.E. always.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The beauty of Michael Jackson is found in his heart and soul...his enormous talent is a bonus and what a bonus it is.

~PLAY the moments...PAUSE the memories...STOP the pain...REWIND the happiness~

March 06, 2012, 09:01:55 AM
Sounds wonderful, Souza.  I am not technically inclined so I’m in agreement with what ever works best.  The mention of Michael’s possible bam this year and the upgrades makes a lot of sense to me.  When that happens, this will unequivocally become the new Official Michael Jackson Forum.  That’s for damn sure.   Gotta love it  beerchug
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Don't stop this child, He's the father of man
Don't cross his way, He's part of the plan
I am that child, but so are you
You've just forgotten, Just lost the clue.”

MJ "Magical Child"
Still Rocking my World…
   and leaving me Speechless!

“True goodbyes are the ones never said

sandythyme

March 06, 2012, 10:15:42 AM
Good Jog Souza!  I embrace change....it's always a good lesson and some thymes a struggle but the outcome is always a good learning experience.  I agree with the planning ahead, as quickly as our techie equipment becomes outdate, this is also true for our website and basically how much it can handle.  As you said if Michael does bam this year and we crash or can't handle the volume then where would we be.  Great ideas.  I like the all in one place, the fan base verses hoax related.  I believe in you Ms. Souza!  bearhug
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Andrea

March 06, 2012, 11:16:42 AM
I continually appreciate your hard work on this site Souza and I know you makes changes that are necessary.  As long as I can still post and review mine and others previous posts, I'm happy!
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GINAFELICIA

• Hoaxer
  • View Profile
  • Playing it safe is the riskiest choice.
March 06, 2012, 01:27:26 PM
I thought I posted an answer but it's not here now.
It is your place S, you can do what you like with it.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions