everlastinglove_MJTopic starter

dolphin slaughter
February 05, 2012, 02:48:49 PM

Since a few weeks I followed the news about Erwin Vermeulen and I was just thinking that I should share this story with you as it concerns global awareness and injustice. Injustice of killing the freedom and/or slaugthering dolphins, but also injustice of suppressing the truth.

Trial Begins For Dutch Cove Guardian Erwin Vermeulen in Taiji, Japan

Video of dolphin slaughter below article

Note:  Whether one likes the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society and their allies or not, here is another case of a photographer stopped for trying to document reality.  That reality was the slaughter of dolphins.  Erwin was in Taiji attempting to document the town’s annual dolphin massacre, which runs from September until March, in an effort to bring global awareness to this slaughter. Whether covering war, or the destruction of the Earth and its inhabitants, those complicit (the 1%) do not want the truth seen by the rest of us.  If documentary photographers, filmakers and journalists are prevented from capturing the facts, we all lose.  As long as injustice continues, however, concerned people will take risks to record its harsh realities in order to inform the rest of the world.

At the end of this article is a video of a past mass dolphin killing in Taiji. WARNING: Please be aware that it is graphic.-Orin Langelle for the GJEP Team

Erwin with Otis: Otis was a rescue from a cruelty situation.

The prosecution presents their case

Cross-posted from Sea Shepherd

Thursday January 26 marked the start of court proceedings for Dutch Cove Guardian Erwin Vermeulen, who has been detained for more than 40 days on false charges of assault. Erwin was in Taiji documenting the town’s annual dolphin massacre, which runs from September until March, in an effort to bring global awareness to this horrific slaughter, when he was falsely accused of pushing one of the dolphin resort employees.

Sea Shepherd Conservation Society had a definitive presence in the courtroom. Board Director Dr. Bonny Shumaker and Sea Shepherd Netherlands Director Geert Vons made the trip to Japan to support Erwin. Also in attendance were Cove Guardian campaign leader, Scott West, as well as 5 volunteers; none were allowed contact with Erwin.

Until last week, Erwin was being held in the Shingu jail, near Taiji. He has now been transferred to Wakayama, where the trial will take place. Erwin has been kept under solitary conditions and was not told what charges he was being held on until his transfer last week. He has been denied contact with anyone in the outside world including loved ones and fellow Sea Shepherd volunteers. He has been refused any reading material while detained and has been subject to continual interrogation.

Even more shocking is the fact that while in Shingu, Erwin was fed a diet of mostly-if not all- white rice and his requests for nutritional supplements were denied.

The Dolphin Resort trainer who accused Erwin of pushing him gave his statement before the judge. The trainer claims Erwin pushed him in the chest area. The accuser’s account of the incident appeared to be inconsistent with the written statement he provided to the police a few days after the alleged incident. The prosecution went so far as to try and obtain DNA evidence to prove Erwin touched the man. Police collected “foreign matters” from around the trainer’s chest, but the DNA test was negative.  This test was presented in court and proved, even scientifically, that there was no contact between the two men.

After the accuser gave his statement, Erwin took the stand looking visibly thinner, fatigued, and had not been provided with a haircut or shave while detained.

The prosecution began by attempting to trick Erwin into making harmful remarks about Sea Shepherd; these attempts failed.  He maintains that he had no contact with the trainer and that his hands were full carrying a tripod, camera, and communication radio- leaving no free hand for him to push the man. In his recounting of events, Erwin said he passed a so-called roadblock and that the trainer was on his cell phone and did not even notice him until he was 20 meters past the barricade. Shortly afterwards the Taiji police arrived. Erwin stated that at the time they did not mention anything about the alleged assault, only that he had crossed a no trespassing sign. Only some time later after the Wakayama police and the accuser spent more time conversing, and Erwin and the rest of the Cove Guardians were preparing to leave, did the police inform Erwin that the trainer was claiming he had been pushed.

The prosecution proceeded to bring up irrelevant accusation of trespassing and how taking photos of people who don’t want to be photographed is offensive. Erwin’s reply was “Yes, well I am offended by the dolphin slaughter. It’s not a crime to offend, but I’m not here for photos or trespassing, I’m here for pushing.” He also pointed out to the court that the Cove Guardians have a silent agreement with the police “when we see a sign, we enter once and the English speaking police will tell us if it’s legal or not. The locals always ignore the signs, only they are never reprimanded.”

During the court proceeding Erwin alludes to the conditions inside his jail cell. He was asked to put on the jacket he was wearing during the alleged crime, as a reenactment for the court. Erwin remarked “I wish I had this in my cell because it’s freezing in there.” When the court was considering taking a break for dinner Erwin said, “ I don’t need to eat. It’s nice and warm in here. This is the first time in two weeks that I’ve been warm.”

It is important to remember that Erwin Vermeulen is being held on charges of simple assault, due to an accusation that he merely pushed another person, and is being subjected to highly inhumane conditions. The conviction rate in Japanese courts is 99% and most detainees confess very quickly. It is easy to see why, after learning of the subpar conditions Erwin is being subjected to inside the Japanese prison system. Through the course of his imprisonment and harsh treatment, Erwin has maintained his innocence and Sea Shepherd will do everything in our power to see him free and justice served.

The trial continues February 1st when the defense will present their case and a Sea Shepherd witness will be allowed to give a testimony. Closing arguments are scheduled for February 16th with a verdict on February 22nd, meaning Erwin will spend another month in jail on a ludicrous charge. If convicted Erwin could face up to two years in prison along with a large fine.

Following the court proceedings, Sea Shepherd Netherlands Director Geert Vons had the following statement:

“Erwin Vermeulen has now become a trump card in the dispute between Japan and the Netherlands over whaling. Sea Shepherd’s ships are registered in the Netherlands and every year when the whale hunt starts Japan complains to the Netherlands about environmental activists hindering its whale hunters.

The charges against Erwin were only clearly stated on Saturday. He is being treated like a notorious criminal. He is not allowed any contact with the outside world, or any letters. It is a very, very sad story. I had expected more support from the Dutch Government, for a Dutch national.”

According to the Dutch Animal Rights Party, Foreign Affairs Minister Uri Rosenthal is “not doing enough” and they want a debate about the issue in the Lower House. According to Esther Ouwehand, one of the party’s two members of parliament, Japan has a reputation for arresting activists who it regards as “hindering” whale hunts for political reasons. Ouwehand wants Rosenthal to summon the Japanese ambassador.

WARNING: Please be aware that this video is graphic
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNh0_oLZpto&feature=fvsr [/youtube]

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

There's also a US documentary film "The Cove":
The Cove is a 2009 documentary film that analyzes and questions Japan's dolphin hunting culture. It was awarded the (2010) Academy Award for Best Documentary Feature. The film is a call to action to halt mass dolphin kills, change Japanese fishing practices, and to inform and educate the public about the risks, and increasing hazard, of mercury poisoning from dolphin meat. The film is told from an ocean conservationist's point of view.[2][3] The film highlights the fact that the number of dolphins killed in the Taiji dolphin hunting drive is several times greater than the number of whales killed in the Antarctic, and claims that 23,000 dolphins and porpoises are killed in Japan every year by the country's whaling industry. The migrating dolphins are herded into a hidden cove where they are netted and killed by means of spears and knives over the side of small fishing boats. The film argues that dolphin hunting as practiced in Japan is unnecessary and cruel.
The film was directed by former National Geographic photographer Louie Psihoyos.[4] Portions were filmed secretly during 2007 using underwater microphones and high-definition cameras disguised as rocks.[2][5]

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYKNCN1ESZM&feature=related [/youtube]

L.O.V.E.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
It's all for L.O.V.E.

MaryK

• Registered users
  • Hoaxer
  • View Profile
  • The world is just illusion, trying to change you
Re: dolphin slaughter
February 05, 2012, 03:29:05 PM
This is nefarious!
Mr. Vermeulen has become a pawn in a game.
Cruelty to animals is a shame! Poor innocent creatures.
May God bless and protect everyone who fights for the rights of animals.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You and I were never separate

It's just an illusion

Wrought by the magical lens of Perception

paula-c

February 05, 2012, 05:44:12 PM
That serves the human being have intelligence if  do not use the conscience.
The human evil has no limits :?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

SimPattyK

• Registered users
  • Hoaxer
  • View Profile
  • MJ & ELVIS are ALIVE ~ TRUTH always prevails!
February 05, 2012, 06:22:49 PM
I can't comment on stuff like this!! I remain perplex every time I hear about monstrosities like this!!!
I say to myself those are not humans! probably devils! Humans are not made like this!
 It's so outrageous!!

God bless those poor innocent souls !
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
MJ & ELVIS are ALIVE ~ You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

February 05, 2012, 06:31:07 PM
pale/
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

أملي هو فيكم.

MissG

February 06, 2012, 07:21:40 PM
Only the human race. We are the worst.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
("Minkin güerveeeee")
Michael pls come back

"Why a four-year-old child could understand this hoax. Run out and find me a four-year-old child. I can't make head nor tail out of it"

Tink

February 06, 2012, 07:48:28 PM
If you dig deep enough, the people who slaughter the poor dolphins and other cetaceans actually BELIEVE that the loss of Yellowfin tuna is due to the Cetaceans eating them all!  WTF?? OMG! Ergo, they believe they're doing the world a favor, along with butchering WHALES in the Antarctic Reserve, illegally!

They sell the meat, which is INEDIBLE, because of HIGH MERCURY content! I believe if you watch, "The Cove," at the end, you see the Japanese official having his hair tested.

We're at a precipice; almost a point of No Return, with the Environment of Planet Earth, across the board!
Unless we stand up and take our Shepherding of this planet literally, we are truly DOOMED.

I pray, we can stop it. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Here's the update on Erwin: the other dude was TEXTING:

"The trial of Erwin Vermeulen continued February 1, 2012 in Wakayama, Japan, marking his 48th day of imprisonment. The defense presented their case before the judge. Erwin was led into the courtroom shackled by a rope around his waist, attached to a leash. “By treating him this way they make it appear like he has been charged with murder,” said Captain Paul Watson.

The defense was allowed to bring in a witness, who was in direct radio contact with Erwin during the alleged incident. This witness’s testimony will no doubt be integral to the defense’s case, as the witness would have knowledge of any incident Erwin was involved in while in radio contact. Also the accuser claims Erwin pushed him with a free hand and stated that only one of his hands was full carrying a camera and tripod. This proves his hands were both full as he was carrying camera equipment in one hand his radio in the other.

Erwin said his accuser was engaged in text messaging some distance from where the incident was supposed to have taken place and was not even paying attention to Erwin’s presence. The defense has requested the cell phone records of the dolphin resort employee-to prove this was in fact the case.

After the hearing, Cove Guardian campaign leader, Scott West, was allowed to speak briefly with Erwin. This is the first time anyone other than the legal team has been able to have contact with Erwin since the arrest. A translator was present throughout the conversation so that the prison guards would know every word spoken between the two men.

Erwin’s first two questions were about the status of the Cove Guardian campaign and Operation Divine Wind-Sea Shepherd’s whale campaign in the Southern Ocean Whale Sanctuary. He was also extremely surprised and humbled to learn of the overwhelming global support and attention regarding his imprisonment.

It appears his diet has only slightly improved since being transferred from the jail in Shingu. He weighed in at 176 lbs on the day of his arrest and has lost approximately twenty pounds while detained. Scott West was able to bring Erwin a sweater after he remarked last week in court that it was very cold in his cell. He also goes to bed early in an attempt to keep warm. After their brief meeting Scott West remarked that Erwin looked gaunt. “This trial is a farce in that the prosecution does not have a case,” said West.

Even with the lack of evidence and overall weak case of the prosecution, an acquittal is unlikely, as this would harm the judge’s reputation in the eyes of the prosecution and police. However, an acquittal would be an extremely brave act on the part of the judge. The trial continues February 16th when closing arguments will take place and a verdict is expected on February 22nd."

Well - if the he was indeed texting during the time he claims he was attacked, this is going to be quite bad for them - he will also suffer dishonor.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Black & Proud! I'm like the Oracle/Batgirl, who helps Batman in the comic books. I believe in "Comic Book justice."

February 08, 2012, 10:06:34 AM
Thanks MissG, MJFAN, Paula, Sim, Mary and Tink for your support.        bearhug

and Tink, thanks, I appreciate your news update from You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login. Now communication between cove guardians will be banned >:( Authorities do everything to protect dolphin slaughter /scream/

February 7, 2012
Cove Guardian Radios Banned by Police in Taiji

The Police in Taiji keep changing the rules in their ongoing effort to protect the slaughter of dolphins at the infamous Japanese killing Cove.

With Erwin in jail for a third month awaiting a verdict on the charge of allegedly “pushing” a dolphin killer, the police decided to detain several other Cove Guardians today where they were informed that it is illegal to use their two way radios in Japan.

These are the same radios the Cove Guardians have been using every day for two years and the same type of radio that Erwin Vermeulen used in his defence saying that he was in contact with the other Guardians by radio at all times during the time when the alleged push took place.

The Wakayama Prefecture police informed Cove Guardian director Scott West that the use of the radios could result in penalties of up to one year in prison.

Four Cove Guardians had to sign statements admitting to the use of the radios and were then informed they were on notice and would be arrested if they were caught using the radios again.

The Cove Guardians will still be able to use radios but they will have to purchase Japanese made, Japanese compliant radios meaning that the police will have the ability to tap all the radio transmission.

Operation Infinite Patience continues in the face of yet another obstacle tossed up by the police who act more as a personal bodyguard unit for the fishermen than as impartial police officers.

Today Erwin's father has asked the Dutch government to help get Erwin home.

Some more news: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

L.O.V.E.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
It's all for L.O.V.E.

MaryK

• Registered users
  • Hoaxer
  • View Profile
  • The world is just illusion, trying to change you
February 08, 2012, 05:56:26 PM
Without further comment......

Enough For Today
(written by Michael Jackson)

Dance rehearsals can go on past midnight, but this time I stopped at ten. "I hope you don't mind," I said, looking up into space, "but that's enough for today."
A voice from the control room spoke. "You okay?"
"A little tired, I guess," I said.
I slipped on a windbreaker and headed down the hall. Running footsteps came up behind me. I was pretty sure who they belonged to. "I know you too well," she said, catching up with me. "What's really wrong?"
I hesitated. "Well, I don't know how this sounds, but I saw a picture today in the papers. A dolphin had drowned in a fishing net. From the way its body was tangled in the lines, you could read so much agony. Its eyes were vacant, yet there was still that smile, the one dolphins never lose, even when they die..." My voice trailed off.
She put her hand lightly in mine. "I know, I know."
"No, you don't know all of it yet. It's not just that I felt sad, or had to face the fact that an innocent being had died. Dolphins love to dance — of all the creatures in the sea, that's their mark. Asking nothing from us, they cavort in the waves while we marvel. They race ahead of ships, not to get there first but to tell us, 'It's all meant to be play. Keep to your course, but dance while you do it.' So there I was, in the middle of rehearsal, and I thought, 'They're killing a dance.' And then it seemed only right to stop. I can't keep the dance from being killed, but at least I can pause in memory, as one dancer to another. Does that make any sense?"

Her eyes were tender. "Sure, in its way. Probably we'll wait years before everyone agrees on how to solve this thing. So many interests are involved. But it's too frustrating waiting for improvements tomorrow. Your heart wanted to have its say now."
"Yes," I said, pushing the door open for her. "I just had this feeling, and that's enough for today

from the book
**DANCING THE DREAM by Michael Jackson**
(published 1992)
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You and I were never separate

It's just an illusion

Wrought by the magical lens of Perception

February 08, 2012, 08:43:20 PM
Without further comment......

Enough For Today
(written by Michael Jackson)

Dance rehearsals can go on past midnight, but this time I stopped at ten. "I hope you don't mind," I said, looking up into space, "but that's enough for today."
A voice from the control room spoke. "You okay?"
"A little tired, I guess," I said.
I slipped on a windbreaker and headed down the hall. Running footsteps came up behind me. I was pretty sure who they belonged to. "I know you too well," she said, catching up with me. "What's really wrong?"
I hesitated. "Well, I don't know how this sounds, but I saw a picture today in the papers. A dolphin had drowned in a fishing net. From the way its body was tangled in the lines, you could read so much agony. Its eyes were vacant, yet there was still that smile, the one dolphins never lose, even when they die..." My voice trailed off.
She put her hand lightly in mine. "I know, I know."
"No, you don't know all of it yet. It's not just that I felt sad, or had to face the fact that an innocent being had died. Dolphins love to dance — of all the creatures in the sea, that's their mark. Asking nothing from us, they cavort in the waves while we marvel. They race ahead of ships, not to get there first but to tell us, 'It's all meant to be play. Keep to your course, but dance while you do it.' So there I was, in the middle of rehearsal, and I thought, 'They're killing a dance.' And then it seemed only right to stop. I can't keep the dance from being killed, but at least I can pause in memory, as one dancer to another. Does that make any sense?"

Her eyes were tender. "Sure, in its way. Probably we'll wait years before everyone agrees on how to solve this thing. So many interests are involved. But it's too frustrating waiting for improvements tomorrow. Your heart wanted to have its say now."
"Yes," I said, pushing the door open for her. "I just had this feeling, and that's enough for today

from the book
**DANCING THE DREAM by Michael Jackson**
(published 1992)

Wow... beautifully said, Michael. I hope he has not seen this!!  :cry:
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

أملي هو فيكم.

February 09, 2012, 08:21:07 AM
Thank you for posting MaryK. It is truth beautifully written by Michael. I love all of his reflections and poems in "Dancing The Dream". I've posted "So The Elephants March" on a thread about a year ago or so, which are beautiful and touching reflections too.

"Look Again, Baby Seal
One of the most touching nature photographs is of a baby fur seal lying on the ice alone. I'm sure you have seen it. The picture seems to be all eyes, the trusting dark eyes of a small animal gazing up at the camera and into your heart. When I first looked at them, the eyes asked, "Are you going to hurt me?" I knew the answer was yes, because thousands of baby seals were being killed every year.

Many people were touched by one baby seal's helplessness. They gave money to save the seals, and public awareness started to shift. As I returned to the picture, those two wide eyes began to say something different. Now they asked, "Do you know me?" This time I didn't feel so much heartache as when I felt the violence man inflicts upon animals. But I realized that there was still a big gap. How much did I really know about life on earth? What responsibility did I feel for creatures outside my little space? How could I lead my life so that every cell of living matter was also benefited?

Everyone who began to wonder about these things found, I think, that their feelings were shifting away from fear toward more closeness with life as a whole. The beauty and wonder of life began to seem very personal; the possibility of making the planet a garden for all of us to grow in began to dawn. I looked into the eyes of the baby seal, and for the first time they smiled. "Thank you," they said. "You have given me hope."

Is that enough? Hope is such a beautiful word, but it often seems very fragile. Life is still being needlessly hurt and destroyed. The image of one baby seal alone on the ice or one baby girl orphaned in war is still frightening in its helplessness. I realized that nothing would finally save life on earth but trust in life itself, in its power to heal, in its ability to survive our mistakes and welcome us back when we learn to correct those mistakes.

With these thoughts in my heart, I looked at the picture again. The seal's eyes seemed much deeper now, and I saw something in them that I had missed before: unconquerable strength. "You have not hurt me," they said. "I am not one baby alone. I am life, and life can never be killed. It is the power that brought me forth from the emptiness of space; it cared for me and nourished my existence against all dangers. I am safe because I am that power. And so are you. Be with me, and let us feel the power of life together, as one creature here on earth."

Baby seal, forgive us. Look at us again and again to see how we are doing. Those men who raise their clubs over you are also fathers and brothers and sons. They have loved and cared for others. One day they will extend that love to you. Be sure of it and trust."
:cry:
from the book "Dancing The Dream" written by Michael Jackson

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68t-pWRbhOs [/youtube]

L.O.V.E.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
It's all for L.O.V.E.

Tink

February 14, 2012, 12:16:52 PM
Growing  up through today, I'm still in a state of wonder, thanks to animals and children. I've had so many wonderful chances to play with wild animals, such as dolphins, wolves, it's been definitely times that are gifts from God. My siblings and I were even rescued by a pod of dolphins from sharks, and then herded to shore!

If you watch the Cove, you'll see that the Japanese people in the cities are horrified...and, it's growing, thanks to the not only the movie, but a dynamic shift in public perspective!

To also see people like Palin being proud of shooting wolves from a helicopter or airplane, just makes me ill beyond belief! Like taking another piece of my heart out.

We are indeed the world's caretakers. If we fail, we die off - and eventually, God will replace us. WE only have each other, and many are stepping up to the plate.

In the world today, WOMEN are the ones who've started making the change. In Pakistan, women are learning to write their name - in exchange for learning that, their daughters are receiving a full education! Men are finally realizing that their daughters have value as bookkeepers, making sure they aren't getting ripped off during Harvest time! They used to only be valuable for cooking, and working in the fields or factories. Then, for their dowries.

Every animal, every human being is valuable! Everyone is talented! You just have to find it, nurture them.

For when we are all happy with what we do, wars will lose meanings; governments can't toy with those, who are educated.

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Black & Proud! I'm like the Oracle/Batgirl, who helps Batman in the comic books. I believe in "Comic Book justice."

February 14, 2012, 01:35:44 PM
@Tink:
Every animal, every human being is valuable! Everyone is talented! You just have to find it, nurture them.

I absolutely agree, every animal, every human being is valuable and everyone is talented, yet not everyone has discovered his/her own talent or does not have the chance or opportunity to develop him/herself. This is such good news about the women in Pakistan who learn to write and that their daughters are being fully educated. A wonderful example and motivation for the rest of the world, it will def make a difference /bravo/

L.O.V.E.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions