Re: Walgren and Brazil to receive award
January 14, 2012, 09:48:20 PM
You made the claim and you have to back it up. I won't be doing your work for you, you are the one who claimed she did a lot of research, but can't back up her claims. And "I talked to doctors in real life" coming from an anonymous person on the net doesn't qualify as proof for anything. You want to prove your point, but you can't, but other people proved theirs in this thread. So people can choose who they want to believe.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

January 15, 2012, 12:25:27 AM
I'm not sure if this helps but I have spent time in theatre and have witnessed propofol being administered on numerous occasions by anaesthetists.

To me it appeared to be a medical supply, drawn up and used as needed. I never witnessed any "sign out" or drug counting procedures in regards to it's use (as you do with S8's) and it was not kept in a secure drug cupboard, although the amounts used were written in the patient notes. It was part of the anaesthetist supply trolley. It appeared to be treated the same way IV bags are treated in theatre (also written in patient notes)- use as required by the MO.

It must be noted here however, in regards to IV bags, that once the patient is on ward, there must be a medical officers ORDER before nurses can hang the fluids. But this is not really the criteria for prescription either as this in no way implies that the patient is able to administer fluids to themselves. It must be done by a registered nurse.

So I'm not sure how propofol could be described as a "drug for prescription only" (an S4) as I'm pretty sure it would never be prescribed to a patient to take and use as directed.

It would only be a prescribed drug in the sense that bindup said, in that it should only be administered by a medical officer.

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions but no one is entitled to their own facts" ~ Nobel Laureate, Elizabeth Blackburn

curls

January 15, 2012, 02:02:31 AM
Well, I was feeling pretty mag-funked till I waded through this thread.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tink

January 15, 2012, 02:10:25 AM
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
@tink, I mentioned this abuse a while back in another thread about doctors using it to put themselves out for a little while when they were residents pulling long shifts.  It was met w/some skepticism.  But I have no need to lie about it.  I witnessed it firsthand as an employee working at the hospital.  It happens.  typing/

@hesouttamylife - I think people need to realize, you were at a hospital! People felt safe there, and counted on their friends to rescue them - which didn't always happen, I would guess. Reports are that some died.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Black & Proud! I'm like the Oracle/Batgirl, who helps Batman in the comic books. I believe in "Comic Book justice."

January 15, 2012, 08:42:16 AM
@tink, yes…other doctors!  they didn’t do it in the open.  They had a wing where they could sleep between shifts.  You’d be surprised the meds they took before going into the operating room.  I use to tease them and say, I know to never have surgery done here. It was a running joke between the doctors and non-medical staff. But they would be alert and do just as well as any other surgeon on the team. 

When I worked there we had an employee only clinic.  We could secure any meds we requested by going in with a headache, a backache, didn’t matter.  Ask for what you wanted by name and voila, it was done.  Seemed everybody was taking speed and valium in those days at the hospital.  :? No questions asked.  I know that probably would never fly today, but in the 70s and 80s it was a given.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Don't stop this child, He's the father of man
Don't cross his way, He's part of the plan
I am that child, but so are you
You've just forgotten, Just lost the clue.”

MJ "Magical Child"
Still Rocking my World…
   and leaving me Speechless!

“True goodbyes are the ones never said

January 15, 2012, 11:19:16 AM

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

January 15, 2012, 11:49:25 AM
Thank you for the links Sarah.  Like I said, I witnessed it firsthand.  I KNOW it happens though there are no personal snapshots or articles.  These links however is validation enough.  Appreciate it.  /bravo/
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Don't stop this child, He's the father of man
Don't cross his way, He's part of the plan
I am that child, but so are you
You've just forgotten, Just lost the clue.”

MJ "Magical Child"
Still Rocking my World…
   and leaving me Speechless!

“True goodbyes are the ones never said

MissG

January 15, 2012, 07:01:09 PM
Interesting thread.

Imo, the key point is that propofol should not be administered outside a hospital/ controlled environment by a non anesthesiologist ans should be used for certain procedures only.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
("Minkin güerveeeee")
Michael pls come back

"Why a four-year-old child could understand this hoax. Run out and find me a four-year-old child. I can't make head nor tail out of it"

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal