Snoopy71Topic starter

• Hoaxer
  • View Profile
  • Life isn't a rehearsal the camera's always rolling
A Collection Fit for a Queen
December 05, 2011, 07:51:02 AM
Elizabeth Taylor’s Love Affair with Jewelry

Movie star, fashion icon and humanitarian, Elizabeth Taylor is without a doubt one of the most iconic and influential actresses of our era. Unfortunately, the world lost a star when she passed away this March of a heart failure at 79 earlier on this year.

Even though she has left us, her glorious legacy in forms of film and possessions still remain; in which parts of her prized possessions will be auctioned off by Christie’s New York next month. The items of the celebrated film star that will go under the hammer include personal mementoes, incredible gifts from ex-husbands, lovers and friends,that including the late Michael Jackson and some of the most famous stones in history.

If diamonds are forever, Elizabeth Taylor’s legacy on the big screen had made her a precious diamond and her legend will live on along with her jewelry collection. Taylor had more than 1,000 pieces of jewelry that was stored in a room next to her giant closet in her bedroom. Her love for her jewelry is further defined when she published her book, Elizabeth Taylor: My Love Affair With Jewelry in 2002.

Despite the vast number of jewelry pieces, she knew exactly where and when she had acquired each one and frequently admired her collection. The actor Richard Burton, whom Taylor married and divorced twice was a great contributor to her collection. In his diaries, he would recall waking up at the middle of the night to find Taylor playing with her jewels.

“The memory of a piece of jewelry brings back a stab of joy and love”, she once said. This is exceptionally true as her seven husbands gave most of the pieces in Taylor’s collection. Burton bought the Krupp diamond, a 33.19-carat natural marvel for US$300,000 in 1968. Known as the Elizabeth Taylor diamond today, Taylor once marvelled, “it gives me the strangest feeling of beauty”. The diamond is estimated to be auctioned off for US$2.5 million to US$3.5 million.

Another iconic piece in Taylor’s jewelry collection is the 19-th century diamond tiara that Taylor wore to the 1957 Academy Awards when film producer Mike Todd, her third husband who died in a plane crash a year after, won the Oscar for Best Picture with the film Around the Wold in 80 Days. The tiara was given to Taylor when Todd described her as queen.

Other exceptional pieces include the historical Pérégrina or Wanderer pearl, which had been given to Mary I of England by King Philip II of Spain in 1554 and was worn by Queen Margarita and Queen Isabel of Spain before it was snatched during Napoleon’s invasion in 1808; the heart-shaped diamond inscribed with the name Nur Jahan, who was the wife of Mughal emperor Jahangir; and a diamond brooch that once belonged to the Duchess of Windsor, Wallis Simpson.

The special travelling exhibition showcasing the precious jewelry pieces, haute couture, accessories and other possessions of the late Elizabeth Taylor will be hosted in Hong Kong on November 25-27 at the Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre in Wan Chai. The final stop of the exhibition will be in New York from December 3 -12, before the auction begins on December 13 at Christie’s New York.

The possessions of Taylor will be auctioned off into six different auctions categorised into legendary jewels; jewelry; haute couture; fashion and accessories; fine and decorative art; film memorabilia; and will also feature a unique online auction.

A portion of profits from the sales will profit The Elizabeth Taylor AIDS Foundation that was established by Elizabeth Taylor in 1991 to raise funds and awareness to fight the spread of HIV and to provide assistance for those living with the virus.

Ring made in platinum and white gold and is set with a 16.98 carat
pear-shaped diamond with trimmed calibre-cut sapphires.
A gift from Michael Jackson

Diamond “Lord Kalla” Wristwatch by Vacheron Constantin.

A diamonds necklace.

A suite of diamond and multi-gem monkey jewelry,from the collection of the
Baron and Baroness di Portanova.
A gift from Michael Jackson.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 07:56:32 AM by Snoopy71
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GINAFELICIA

• Hoaxer
  • View Profile
  • Playing it safe is the riskiest choice.
Re: A Collection Fit for a Queen
December 05, 2011, 09:36:18 AM
That ring is soooooo beautiful.
And I like the watch and ...well all of them are beautiful.
But stones are just stones. I'm not crazy about jewels. I wear them but it's not like I can't live without them
That monkeys necklace is so unusual.

I can't help by notice the leaves necklace....Michael has a thing with leaves...it seems. And with Time, as he gave her a watch. I'm not sure about the monkeys :?:.
Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 10:02:04 AM by GINAFELICIA
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RK

December 05, 2011, 09:45:53 AM
I don't recall ever seeing Liz wear the monkey necklace. I wonder what she thought about that one.  I read somewhere a long time ago that MJ bought Liz a jewelled elephant piece also.
I am not much of a jewellery person myself except for ear-rings.  They are a must.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GINAFELICIA

• Hoaxer
  • View Profile
December 05, 2011, 09:52:00 AM
Monkeys and bananas...what was he thinking ordering that necklace?
It must have had a meaning for him.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snoopy71Topic starter

• Hoaxer
  • View Profile
  • Life isn't a rehearsal the camera's always rolling
December 05, 2011, 10:01:58 AM
Monkeys and bananas...what was he thinking ordering that necklace?
It must have had a meaning for him.

Here's the whole set

It is an odd piece to say the least...I know Michael had an infinity for monkeys, apes etc...Michael is very purposeful in everything he does...it would be interesting to know the story behind it. suspicious//
Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 10:06:39 AM by Snoopy71
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RK

December 05, 2011, 10:11:40 AM
Gold and silver chimps. Strange piece. Weird earrings as well. I guess it could be stranger. He could have ordered  baboons and when you turn them over, they have a ruby baboon but.
This piece deserves to be worn at a carnival like Rio. Definitely something fun and festive more than glamour.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GINAFELICIA

• Hoaxer
  • View Profile
December 05, 2011, 12:57:37 PM
maybe it wa sjust that - that monkey necklace was just for fun. but I can't help noticing there are 7 "silver" monkeys and 1 gold monkey. The gold one must be the big boss ;D.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Love4Michael

December 05, 2011, 01:34:39 PM

Here's the whole set

It is an odd piece to say the least...I know Michael had an infinity for monkeys, apes etc...Michael is very purposeful in everything he does...it would be interesting to know the story behind it. suspicious//

It's truly a unique set...but then Michael is a one of a kind kinda guy too...I'm sure most agree.  8-)  The two monkeys in the front have their arms around each other in their tree of life (so to speak)...maybe like Michael and Elizabeth were two peas in a pod in theirs.  Just something that popped in my head as to what he might have been thinking when he chose it for her.  I also can't help but think that he must be quite sad that the special things he gave her are now to be scattered to the winds as I feel he probably did take great care and thought in their selection.  She obviously meant so much to him and I'm sure that he felt happy anytime he could make those violet eyes sparkle.   
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Always reach out to lend support and to help bear a heavy burden. 
There is no greater gift that you can give than your caring and love. 
Spread laughter and joy in your travels and carry love with you in abundant supply. 
Share life...share the world.

titania

December 05, 2011, 02:27:58 PM

Here's the whole set

It's truly a unique set...but then Michael is a one of a kind kinda guy too...I'm sure most agree.  8-)  The two monkeys in the front have their arms around each other in their tree of life (so to speak)...maybe like Michael and Elizabeth were two peas in a pod in theirs.  Just something that popped in my head as to what he might have been thinking when he chose it for her.  I also can't help but think that he must be quite sad that the special things he gave her are now to be scattered to the winds as I feel he probably did take great care and thought in their selection.  She obviously meant so much to him and I'm sure that he felt happy anytime he could make those violet eyes sparkle.   

I think it is a UNIQUE set of jewellery. Look at the workmanship-imagine the hours of work that went into getting those monkeys and bananas EXACTLY right. It is a humourous necklace and I guess this makes it a joy to wear.You know, I bet you don't walk around thinking about it being a very valuable piece which you would do if it was more "serious". I bet ET enjoyed walking around her home wearing this set and thinking about Michael and having a giggle.

Elizabeth Taylor's Chinese star sign was the monkey- and so is mine. So I guess that is why it appeals to me....

I would definately love to buy this if I had the cash...There is nothing nicer than getting that APOM feeling when you see a lovely work of art.

Titania

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
FOOTPRINTS IN OUR SOULS
Fleet feet versus Fleet Street-Twinkling toes to swirling lies-Poisoned ink slides down the sink,
Moonwalker dances on and on, A trail of footprints in our souls

GINAFELICIA

• Hoaxer
  • View Profile
February 04, 2012, 10:06:37 PM
Seems like Liz liked the moneky necklace enough to wear it :)
wow..she was such a beautiful woman....
Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 10:08:26 PM by GINAFELICIA
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions