skyways

Re: The real reason for the Liberian Girl theme
October 31, 2011, 04:11:37 PM
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
"Tomorrow the illusion starts"
But there is more, it's multilayered. The LB theme is key, because it's self-explanatory when you know what else lies behind the video.

There was an unflattering article from August 2009 about the LG short film on a site called The Consequence of Sound. In it the author wonders about the discrepancy of how the most inventive video artist of all time could produce such a disappointment which isn't even connected to the song. 

<!-- m -->You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login<!-- m -->

The relevant part of the article is this most interesting comment from an outraged reader his name is 'doesn't matter':

doesnt matter
1 year ago
Gillian Rosheuvel, you said: "Its wretchedness is only amplified by the fact that this video was made by one of — if not the — most inventive video artists of all time. He, who married visuals and songs in such surprising and inventive ways, produced THIS?"
I hope that my following words would help you to explain your daughter why THIS video is the work of a genius.
First of all to appreciate it you really NEED to see the full version, which is 5:43 minutes long. Here is the link: <!-- m -->You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login<!-- m -->.
Hint: credits are the most important in this particular video!
Stop the video at mark 5:24, there you'll see a man in bondage with 3 arms and "?" under his picture. Simple joke? Barely.....Read this, though it's too long, you won't be disappointed:

The Man Who Had Three Arms
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This is a two-act play for three actors by Edward Albee.
The play takes place in a theatre where the main character HIMSELF is about to speak to the assembled group about his life of celebrity as The Man Who Had Three Arms.The other two actors of the play, MAN and WOMAN, play, variously, two people who are introducing HIMSELF, the parents and wife of HIMSELF, and the manager of HIMSELF. In the first act, HIMSELF describes his transformation from a successful family man to a person who is horrified to discover that a third arm is growing from between his shoulder blades. In the second act, HIMSELF describes being on the celebrity circuit and all that entails—“money, sex, adulation”—while he grows more and more in debt. His wife leaves him. He falls apart in front of the audience only to deal with a final surprise. Albee directed the Broadway premiere of the play at the Lyceum Theatre in New York City in April 1983 with Robert Drivas in the title role.
<!-- m -->You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login<!-- m -->.

And here's the excerpts of this play's review for better understanding what it's all about:

THE MAN WHO HAD THREE ARMS
By Frank Rich
Published: April 6, 1983, Wednesday
HIMSELF is mad because he was once ''the most famous man in the world'' and now he isn't so famous anymore. A standard-cut advertising man with a wife and three kids, he had one day awakened to discover that he was growing a third arm on his back. Suddenly Himself was sought after by royalty, cheered by ticker-tape parades and toasted by talk-show hosts. He had become, one might say, a contemporary Elephant Man – complete with trunk.
But when we meet Himself, the parade has passed by. The third arm ultimately withered away, and so did the protagonist's celebrity and fortune. While he used to command $25,000 for a personal appearance, he now speaks for ''half a grand and a toddle or two of gin.'' In the lecture we see, Himself is a last-minute replacement for a morefamous speaker who has died. Drunk and in debt, he's now just another ordinary-looking man at the end of his rope.
One of the more shocking lapses of Mr. Albee's writing is that he makes almost no attempt even to pretend that Himself is anything other than a maudlin stand-in for himself, with the disappearing arm representing an atrophied talent.
It's hard to feel much sympathy for a man who, by his own account, greedily helped himself to the perks of fame – unlimited publicity, power, money and sex – and now complains that the adulation was ''idiotic,'' that the power was short-lived, that the fortune was recklessly squandered, and that the sex was empty.
''Baggage'' is easily the nicest term by which Himself refers to women. Indeed, the only person not treated contemptuously during the monologue is the speaker, who frequently likens his martyrdom to Christ's.
HIMSELF whips himself and the audience ''into mutual rage and revulsion.'' But only at the end does the anger come to a point. It's then that Mr. Albee at last begins to deal seriously with the issue his play wants to be about – an inability, as Himself puts it, ''to distinguish between my self-disgust and my disgust with others.'' As the curtain falls, the sobbing HIMSELF falls to his knees, torn between asking the despised audience to leave and begging it to stay.
It's a painful, if embarrassing, spectacle, because it shows us the real and sad confusion that exists somewhere beneath the narcissistic arrogance and bile that the author uses as a dodge to avoid introspection the rest of the time. While ''The Man Who Had Three Arms'' is mostly an act of self-immolation, its final display of self-revelation holds out at least the slender hope that Mr. Albee might yet pick himself up from the floor.

Did you see any parallels?

Watch this video one more time. From the very beginning its main theme is illusions and audience's deception . The video is dedicated to Liz Taylor but where's she? It begins with "a scene in an African village that seems related to the song’s lyrics", but it's another illusion. Then we see a girl, but it's not about her. "Who's directing this?", asks Whoopi and we see Spielberg.

Dreyfuss asks: "WHICH MICHAEL JACKSON ARE WE TALKING ABOUT?"

"One of the most inventive video artists of all time, who married visuals and songs in such surprising and inventive ways?" Over-operated freak with a prosthetic nose - Wacko Jacko? A child prodigy? The man, who had "weird" attraction to children? A reclusive pop-star? A drug-addict? etc. How many faces of Michael Jackson we've seen through all 40 years of his career? Do we still know whom he really was?
Probably, he was just a human being with his "anguish, pain and turbulations" and shaky relationships with audience who both praised and despised him at the same time. "The victim of selfish kind of love" denied the right to make mistakes without being critisized by each and everyone. And certainly a genius, foreseer, if you like, who knew exactly from the very beginning, how the "show" of his life would develop and end up, but unwilling to change anything, 'cause though "it was strange what he had to deal with, he dealt with it anyway".

It's just my humble opinion about the message of this video.

Does this person remind you of someone ???            <!-- smoonwalk_/ -->moonwalk_/<!-- smoonwalk_/ -->

Michael the visionary has just the right grip on reality that allowed him to see things for what they are, even at the zenith of his career in the 80ties, or what would become of things (his career as a performer) should he not intervene to prevent the near inevitable....
Yet Michael is also the ultimate prankster, he likes to deceive people, create illusions for the audience, the fans, the general public, even his family. We can see evidence of that throughout his career (disguise appearance and/ or voice in order to fool people, involvement in various projects under pseudonym, his interest in all things magic etc.)....

Now we need to connect this with what we know about Michael shortly before he 'died'. Let's revisit interviews with Kenny Ortega. Remember he stated repeatedly that Michael was in exceptionally good spirit the day before his exit.   
In my opinion it's very important what Michael said that evening and the way he said good bye to Kenny, because these words come from the man himself. Some may think that it was said because of the Dirty Diana illusion which was scheduled for rehearsal for the next day (June/ 25/ 2009) and he simply was looking forward to it, I don't think so.

Watch this video from around minute 8:40 - 11:00 (10:02 !)

<!-- m -->You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login<!-- m -->

The whole 'death'-project THIS IS IT seems to be the perfect illusion - a brilliant ending of a unique career. It seems that this ending is ongoing, because there are still lessons to be learned. Or is it our new mindset that Michael initiated in us that keeps us alert and more aware of things ?

What conclusion would you draw ?

I hope I can ease your mind a bit with this post, maybe a Bam isn't the most important aspect of this project. Maybe it helps you to make that transformation from "this masterpiece isn't complete without a Bam/ reveal" to "this masterpiece is simply perfect as it is", because we can SEE the explanation for it OURSELVES if we look at the right places".....   

Btw, I know there was a thread about it in 2010 see hereM
unfortunately it died down much too soon, but I think this subject is worth to be revived

/quote//

OH MY GOD!!

Thank You SOOO Much JM for that AWESSOME Find - I can't imagine how possible you was stumble across such article in  content of so very Personal Deep reflection that only Michael may ultimately know and lights out.

I am speechless - and feel like accidentally witnessing genius in his working laboratory.

Out of all means , I my self will be NEVER guessing of such intimate and private revelation underlining for LG video - and againe, No One but Creator HIMSELF Abvious to me for reveal it.

That part about painful yet addictive adulation and all what come alone with this, that broken open, innocent heart that predestined to be lonesome forever truly get me to the depth of my soul.

God bless you JM for sharing with us your inevitable special knowledge and please continue stay on board and give you insights - Im truly intrigued by your rare posting and way of your thoughts.

Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 04:19:06 PM by skyways
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

November 09, 2011, 08:52:40 AM
@L4T no-one else seems to care for the reasons anymore. Smh.

Back to basics.
I agree, Michael's inner conflict, it is always present in his songs and his behaviour, isn't it ? Take the Dangerous lyrics for example, you mentioned a few others too, or acting the "sexy beast" on stage vs. publicly presenting that shy side when off stage, or wanting the audience's adulation vs. choosing seclusion for longer periods of time.
I think if one is a public figure like him, who initially even liked to fan the flames a little for publicity reasons, one would certainly develop a kind of a love-hate relationship with the consequences of that fame. One other contributing factor to be torn inside was certainly his upbringing as a JW. I guess the bigger his stardom got, the bigger grew this love-hate thing. Meaning that the negative consequences of his fame became a very heavy burden. Freed himself from it finally and shocked the world one last time in June 2009. Sometimes it takes death in order to live. Remember "...MAYama, JUNita, juLIVE" , literally 'you live' = he began to live his new life from July onward.
Interestingly enough Randy Phillips alluded to exactly that point in his testimony yesterday. Randy told us that one meeting got particularly emotional. Michael explained to him one of the main reasons for wanting to do 'TII' (i.e. earning some money with it), he said, he wanted to settle down and buy a new home, he was tired of living like a vagabond.   

In the 'Schmuckey' Boteach book (see JustDucky, I still love this name) he also states that he doesn't care about his music career too much anymore, he has accomplished all his dreams in that regard. I am quoting a little passage for the ones, who haven't read the book. They are just talking about why it's best for an artist/band to die or break up just at the right time, while relatively young and successful at their careers (Marilyn Monroe / Beatles).
"SB asks: So is that an argument, Michael, for you to say one day, "That's it," and quit ?
MJ: Yeah, I would like some kind of way to disappear where people don't see me anymore at some point, and just do my things for children but not be visual. To disappear is very important. We are people of change. We need change in our lives. That's why we have winter, spring, summer and fall."

Regards the Elephant Man, I think it is easy for Michael to relate to people, whose experiences are/were similar to his own. When you look at Mr. Joseph Merrick's fate, there are several similarities. This man also became quite famous and at one point it was trendy in high society to be friends with "bizarre" Mr. Merrick.
Did someone notice that there was also a Jo(hn) - Joseph discrepancy ? There's another connection, Merrick's desperate wish to do what normal people do, for example sleep like them. That wish cost him his life.

Take all these little sparks from every corner and you'll end up with a grand inspiration for your last accomplishment as KOP, then name it This Is It... Everything else will fall into place with some key people in the right position. How relaxing is this ? Maybe too relaxing after a while ? After all, people need change..... haha, no I am just joking, I don't think there will be a Bam.       

geek/

Sorry, I am just catching this response but thanks for responding. I think contradictions were always played up on purpose to create mystery around the character of King of Pop, Michael Joseph Jackson, while protecting the man Michael Joe Jackson. That way he could have his audience and have his private life too. He was able to separate the two literally (with doubles) and metaphorically (with the public persona and private person). Unfortunately, I think the two were forced to cross each other a few times during the false allegations.

I can also understand why you would think he is not coming back. And you may be right; he may not come back but that contradiction is always there where he wants the audience and yet doesn't want it. I think one day, he is going to want it again. Only time will tell though.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Awareness + Awakening = Higher Consciousness

Ammun Horus

November 18, 2011, 05:20:26 AM
After a long absence, here I am again.

The Liberian Girl video clip, still a mystery to me. Michael has always had such a depth mirrored in his creations.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The universe is nothing but a positively charged void.

GINAFELICIA

• Hoaxer
  • View Profile
  • Playing it safe is the riskiest choice.
November 18, 2011, 07:41:46 AM
OK so the author of this thread was banned.
I am disappointed to hear it.

I hope it is not a permanent banning and she can come back after some time.

I just wish we can all get along well here :-\ because I really love many people here and I do not want to be forced to choose. Please you guys, please I'm begging you all  bow/ bow/ bow/.
Why can't we just be friends, because you are all incredible people that I respect very much :-\

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

MissG

November 18, 2011, 06:14:12 PM
The real reason for the Liberian Girl theme...

ME

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
("Minkin güerveeeee")
Michael pls come back

"Why a four-year-old child could understand this hoax. Run out and find me a four-year-old child. I can't make head nor tail out of it"

GINAFELICIA

• Hoaxer
  • View Profile
November 19, 2011, 09:43:28 AM
LOL Gema :lol:
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

January 10, 2012, 10:28:40 PM
For those that haven't seen the extended version, you can view here: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

It's basically the video that includes the credits at the end including the bandaged three handed guy. 
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

January 12, 2012, 09:52:12 PM
I do have one question on the extended video.  Why does it say Don King and "son"?  With "son" in quotes.  Was it not his son?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tink

January 13, 2012, 04:43:54 PM
Oh, I get it. Cool!  /bravo/
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Black & Proud! I'm like the Oracle/Batgirl, who helps Batman in the comic books. I believe in "Comic Book justice."

GINAFELICIA

• Hoaxer
  • View Profile
January 14, 2012, 03:31:01 AM
For those that haven't seen the extended version, you can view here: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

It's basically the video that includes the credits at the end including the bandaged three handed guy. 

wow thank you so much for posting the link, I've never seen this extended version before. Now I see the man with 3 hands
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions