~Souza~Topic starter

London/Vienna Tribute
January 22, 2011, 02:49:01 PM
Just a quick question because maybe I missed something... How many press conferences did Jermaine do about the tribute? I thought just the one on 9/9/09. Am I wrong?
Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Re: London/Vienna Tribute
January 22, 2011, 02:56:05 PM
I saw a fair bit of 'promo' for it on that tv documentary they did on the Jackson brothers,Jermaine never shut up about it.I don't recall an actual press conference about it.I remember him saying the tickets were going on sale but never did.

I also found a flyer for another event in 2010 that never got mentioned...but got cancelled :/

I will dig it out now.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Do

January 22, 2011, 03:07:31 PM
I don't know about another press conference, but performing on stage in London was supposed to be the big prize of the 'Move like Michael Jackson' contest in the spring of 2010 in The Netherlands/Belgium, Jermaine was also there and announced the tribute would take place 'late that summer' (of 2010).
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"Three passions, simple but overwhelmingly strong, have governed my life: the longing for love, the search for knowledge, and unbearable pity for the suffering of mankind."
Bertrand Russel

~Souza~Topic starter

January 22, 2011, 03:54:52 PM
Quote from: "Do"
I don't know about another press conference, but performing on stage in London was supposed to be the big prize of the 'Move like Michael Jackson' contest in the spring of 2010 in The Netherlands/Belgium, Jermaine was also there and announced the tribute would take place 'late that summer' (of 2010).

There was one on 9/9/9 in London right? For the London tribute 2010? Was there also one for the Vienna tribute 2009?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

MissG

January 22, 2011, 04:04:08 PM
The tribute i remember had a web site with a timer set. Then was just down.

I just saw one press conference. The video should be in youtube.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
("Minkin güerveeeee")
Michael pls come back

"Why a four-year-old child could understand this hoax. Run out and find me a four-year-old child. I can't make head nor tail out of it"

January 22, 2011, 04:04:41 PM
Quote from: "~Souza~"
Just a quick question because maybe I missed something... How many press conferences did Jermaine do about the tribute? I thought just the one on 9/9/09. Am I wrong?

LOL - Isn't this the one that Jermaine and LK's wife announced on the LKL show? They said there would be an announcement, which I think there was. But shortly afterwards artists started saying they weren't going to perform as was stated and others said they didn't know anything about it.

Vienna's Jackson tribute to be televised
Updated 8/11/2009 8:59 AM

A European event promoter is prepping the first major Michael Jackson tribute concert, to be staged in Vienna, one of his favorite cities. Tickets go on sale Aug. 20. The show date is expected to be in early September.    
Enlarge image Enlarge    By Elke Bruhn-Hoffmann, 1998 AP file photo
A European event promoter is prepping the first major Michael Jackson tribute concert, to be staged in Vienna, one of his favorite cities. Tickets go on sale Aug. 20. The show date is expected to be in early September.

By William J. Kole, Associated Press
VIENNA — The Austrian promoter helping to organize next month's tribute to Michael Jackson in Vienna says the three-hour show will be televised live to a global audience.

Georg Kindel says organizers are still negotiating with networks on rights to broadcast the show, which will be held on the grounds of Vienna's stately Schoenbrunn Palace. Jackson's brother Jermaine said recently that Vienna was a special place for Michael, who "loved castles."

Kindel told The Associated Press that Jackson's brother Jermaine expects 1 billion people to watch worldwide. He said Tuesday the tribute will feature "some of the biggest artists of our time" performing 15 to 20 of Jackson's greatest hits.

Kindel said the event will be held in the second half of September, and that the date and lineup will be announced soon. Tickets will go on sale Aug. 20, World Awards Media said on its website.

"For one incredible night Michael Jackson's unforgettable music will be brought to life again," it said. "Some of the world's leading artists will perform Michael's greatest hits live in Vienna in front of one of the most fascinating historical sites in Europe and celebrate the life of the 'King of Pop."'

Organizers said Jermaine Jackson and other family members "will lead a high-profile lineup of international stars on stage to celebrate the life of his brother and perform some of Michael's unforgettable songs."

They would not confirm Austrian media reports that the outdoor tribute may include U2, Madonna, Lionel Richie and Whitney Houston.

Originally there was talk of staging the tribute Aug. 29, which would have been Jackson's 51st birthday. But World Awards Media chief Georg Kindel ruled that out Monday.

"That would have been an extreme logistical challenge," and the organizers opted instead for September, he said.

Jackson died June 25 in Los Angeles.

Why Vienna?

The choice of venue came as something of a surprise. Many had expected the tribute to be held in London, where the pop star was booked to perform a series of concerts, or in a larger European capital such as Berlin, Paris or Rome.

But in a Friday evening appearance on Larry King Live, Jermaine Jackson said the Austrian capital was "a very dear place for Michael."

"And he loved castles. And we're going to have this huge celebration in front of a castle," Jermaine Jackson said.

Michael Jackson visited Vienna at least four times starting in 1988, on three occasions to perform and once — in 1998 — just to sightsee and shop.

In 2003, he canceled plans to give a concert and promote a charity project for children in the alpine ski resort town of Ischgl, citing security risks.

Two years later, he caused a stir in Austria when he was seen wearing the Order of Vienna medal — a gold star with an eagle — during a televised court appearance in California. Jackson had never been awarded the honor, and Austrian media reported at the time that one of his aides had purchased the medal at a Vienna antiques shop.

Schoenbrunn, one of Vienna's biggest tourist attractions, has enough standing room to accommodate about 85,000 people. World Awards Media said grandstands would be set up for 5,000 VIP guests, and that a special stage would be constructed in the shape of a crown, with the majestic yellow edifice in the background.

Kindel said he hoped to secure official permission within the next eight days to hold the concert at Schoenbrunn. He said Jermaine Jackson was planning to hold press conferences soon in Paris, London and Vienna to unveil more details.

The daily Oesterreich said giant screens would be set up in parks around Vienna to handle the huge overflow crowds expected for the event.

Strictly speaking, stately Schoenbrunn is more of a palace than a castle.

A UNESCO World Heritage site, it dates to the 14th century, but it's best known for more recent occupants: members of the royal Habsburg dynasty, which ruled the Austro-Hungarian Empire.

Open-air concerts — usually featuring opera and classical music — are often held on its grounds.

Austria already has played host to a Jackson tribute: Last month, Jermaine Jackson performed some of his brother's hits on a stage erected outside a mothballed nuclear power plant west of Vienna, where Michael was posthumously honored with a Save the World Award for his humanitarian work. That event was also organized by World Awards Media.

"Austria is so beautiful and the Save the World Awards were produced so professionally that I asked their executive producers, Georg Kindel and Christian Baha, if they would like to stage the global tribute for Michael," Jermaine Jackson was quoted as saying in a statement posted Monday on the World Awards Media site.

He said the concert was conceived as an annual event "to keep not only his unique music alive, but his spirit as well."

Monday's announcement drew an angry reaction from an organization calling itself Resistance for Peace Vienna.

Is the Michael Jackson Vienna Tribute a Bust?
Thursday September 10, 2009
Sponsored Links

Just two days ago it looked like the Michael Jackson tribute concert planned for Vienna, Austria on September 26, 2009 would be an impressive event with a parade of top stars performing to honor Michael Jackson's memory. Now it's looking more like it may be a gathering of lesser known and former pop stars playing a concert for disgruntled fans. Today MTV announced that Mary J. Blige, a previously announced headliner, would not take part due to previous contractual obligations. Also, it is now expected Chris Brown can not participate either due to legal concerns. So far no other major stars have been announced to fill their shoes.

Jermaine Jackson (photo at right), older brother to Michael, held press conferences in London yesterday and Berlin today with promoter Georg Kindel that have mostly turned into damage control. They have now said they "hope" R. Kelly will participate. Jermaine Jackson said that Stevie Wonder is also trying to work out a way to perform even though his schedule is full. All of this is far from early expectations that perhaps Madonna and other top level stars would participate. Another news conference in Vienna is expected sometime next week to further discuss the lineup for the concert, but time is running short. The concert's scheduled date is just over two weeks away.

Update: Michael Jackson Tribute Concert in Vienna Cancelled - Moved to London
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
I'm proud to be a child of God and a member of MJ's Army of L.O.V.E.

"Press coverage of my life is like [watching] a fictitious movie...like watching science fiction. It's not true." ~Michael Jackson (2005)

"You should not believe everything you read. You are missing the most important revelations". Craig Harvey 3-15-2012

~Souza~Topic starter

January 22, 2011, 04:08:38 PM
Quote from: "voiceforthesilent"
Jermaine Jackson (photo at right), older brother to Michael, held press conferences in London yesterday and Berlin today with promoter Georg Kindel that have mostly turned into damage control. They have now said they "hope" R. Kelly will participate. Jermaine Jackson said that Stevie Wonder is also trying to work out a way to perform even though his schedule is full. All of this is far from early expectations that perhaps Madonna and other top level stars would participate. Another news conference in Vienna is expected sometime next week to further discuss the lineup for the concert, but time is running short. The concert's scheduled date is just over two weeks away.

Update: Michael Jackson Tribute Concert in Vienna Cancelled - Moved to London

So there was one press conference in London, and one in Berlin if I understand well.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Do

January 22, 2011, 04:09:46 PM
Souza, this is what I found about the tribute in Vienna, it seems that there was a press conference to announce the artists that were going to perform:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

September 8, 2009, 11:17 am
Performers Announced for Michael Jackson Tribute in Vienna

Michal Czerwonka for The New York Times

Michael Jackson, seen here in the photographs of a fan in Los Angeles, will be honored at a concert in Vienna.
A roster of 13 musical acts including Mary J. Blige, Chris Brown, Akon, Natalie Cole and Sister Sledge will be among the performers at a tribute to Michael Jackson that will be held at the Schönbrunn Palace in Austria, Billboard reported. This first portion of the lineup for the event, which is called simply The Tribute and is being held on Sept. 26, was announced Tuesday by Jermaine Jackson and the event’s producer, Georg Kindel, at a press conference in Vienna. The concert is to include performances of many of Michael Jackson’s best known songs, including “Man in the Mirror,” “Billie Jean,” “Smooth Criminal” and “Thriller,” and will feature the band that Mr. Jackson planned to use in the shows he was rehearsing before his death on June 25. Billboard said that the Vienna tribute, for which about half the tickets have been sold, would conclude with ensemble performances of “We Are the World” and “Heal the World,” and that additional artists would be announced in the coming days.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"Three passions, simple but overwhelmingly strong, have governed my life: the longing for love, the search for knowledge, and unbearable pity for the suffering of mankind."
Bertrand Russel

Dancer

January 22, 2011, 04:11:30 PM
Quote from: "~Souza~"
Was there also one for the Vienna tribute 2009?
Yes. The press conference is shown at the beginning of the video and then  continues at 3:10:
[youtube:7v4qq1md]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPjQ1gZQ_KI[/youtube:7v4qq1md]
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Akon on MJ, May 2009]The way he thinks....some artists think regional, some think national, I was thinking international. He thinks planets. It\'s on another level...[/size][/color]

MissG

January 22, 2011, 04:12:43 PM
Here Jermaine explains
[youtube:3mzne2fv]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CFzFqzgBgM[/youtube:3mzne2fv]

The press conference was in London
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
("Minkin güerveeeee")
Michael pls come back

"Why a four-year-old child could understand this hoax. Run out and find me a four-year-old child. I can't make head nor tail out of it"

January 22, 2011, 05:16:17 PM
This is the event in Nov that got cancelled and had no promo/press or anything I am aware of.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login[f1]=527

Apparenly this link doesn't want to work so,if you go on the website,search Jackson it will bring up the cancelled event info

[center:za2fc30t][/center:za2fc30t]

This also looks awfully familiar^

Not as big as the Vienna one but still...pointless.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions