Nevada Considers Ban on Synthetic Marijuana

Las Vegas Listed Among World's Best Travel Deals in 2011

Medical Board Hears High Profile Cases

I-Team: Many Missed Opportunities in Child Safe Haven Law

I-Team: DFS Report Recommends Changes

Hundreds of Items Up for Auction in Las Vegas

Feds Rake in Thousands in Counterfeit Money

Bret Michaels to Perform at Las Vegas Marathon

LAS VEGAS -- The Nevada State Medical Board handed out punishments for three doctors involved in Nevada's most notorious health scandals. From the hepatitis C scare to the Medical Mafia crimes, the medical board handled some high profile cases Friday.

The board handed down additional sanctions against Michael Jackson's former doctor, Conrad Murray. Though he's facing involuntary manslaughter charges for his role in the singer's death, Doctor Murray keeps his Nevada medical license for now.

However, the board announced a settlement Friday. Dr. Murray admits to wrongdoing and will have a reprimand on his state record. He will also have to pay the cost of the state investigation against him.

Doctor Mark Kabins, who plead guilty in 2009's Medical Mafia case, had his license suspension stayed. But some of the medical board speaking in Reno thought the punishment should be more severe.

"This was such an egregious case when it occurred, and it tainted the medical community to such an extent in southern Nevada, that there are many people clamoring for more harsh, punitive measures," said a medical board member.

Dr. Kabins served six months house arrest for conspiracy in the medical malpractice suit of former Olympic athlete Melodie Simon. Kabins was ordered to complete 240 hours community service and pay a total of nearly $13,000 in fines and penalties.

Doctor Eladio Carrera, who spoke to the grand jury about his involvement in the Dipak Desai Hep C endoscopy case, failed in his attempt to get off medical probation. The board told him his medical practice will remain restricted for another seven months.

Go to the article to view video
Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions