becTopic starter

Problemo, funeral pics comparison
December 16, 2009, 11:56:05 AM
Well I hit a snag and stumbled onto an unforeseen.... thing. I was all set to do a big pic comparison post of the TWO funeral pics (Some Together/Liberian Girl) and in the process of pulling them into paint to cut n paste and circle n such.... I found the oddest thing.

Here's the pics I was working with, the two pics framed on stage flanking the coffin:

I was studying them to expose and illustrate the differences between the two faces. Blah blah blah, there are several stark differences in their faces, examples:
-Pic 1 has a dimpled chin where pic 2 does not.
-Pic 1's nose bridge is significantly more narrow then pic 2's.
-Pic 1 and pic 2 illustrate the same height... even though pic 1 is leaning/slouching and pic 2 is not. How's that work? (Credit this observation to Anonymous friend who pointed it out to me. Anonymous may ID themselves for credit if Anonymous would like else Anonymous is outa luck and better zip it)
-The eyeliner on the bottom lid does not match from pic 1 to pic 2. Weird as I do not find it plausable that a photoshoot was stopped mid stream to alter eyeliner unless something was awry in which case the pics taken prior to corrections would be dumped.
-Pic 1's face has several small thin lines in the skin surrounding the mouth that are not consistant with age lines. These lines could have been removed from pic 2 but for two reasons this is not plausable. Reason one, both of these pics are promo pics and touch ups would be expected to be applied to both pics. Reason two, Michael was a ~30yo non smoker in these pics, so why are the lines present at all.

So I decided to pull these pics into paint to crop and highlight these features to communicate my findings. This is where I got stuck in this project. THIS is why:

I have NOT altered this pic in any way other then to zoom and crop.

Look at the lines, horizontal and verticle that appear in the pixilation in certain spots here. One line runs verticle nearly bisecting the nose, another runs horizontal above the eye but *almost* below the eyebrow. Still another runs horizontal above the top lip. For ease of viewing I have highlighted the location of these lines in the next pic.

So I started scrolling around the pic. I found more lines.

Here we have two horizontal lines. One runs through the shirt collar and the other runs through the hair above the line of his shoulder, parallel with the bottom of his chin. Again, highlighted locations:

Further scrolling resulted in one more location. The earbode, middle, center appears to have been altered this time with a clear, tiny square of copy/paste work.

Again for viewing ease:

Now to lay it out in plain english. These are the lines that result when I shop a pic. When you shop, you cut and paste areas, usually squares, usually progressively smaller in size, from one image to another, usually in magnify mode, to alter the appearence of a full sized photo. You put it together like a patchwork quilt to hide any clear, obvious horizontal or verticle lines that result from this process, but at some point you have to quit while you're ahead and some lines will remain in the finished product. But, if you do it right, these lines will only be visible in magnification mode which is the mode in which you will do your work.

Problem is, I didn't touch this pic. I pulled several other pics into paint and magnified them and NONE of them came up with lines like this. On the contrary, every other pic I pulled into paint and magnified pixilated evenly. This pic pixilates evenly everywhere else except for the locations I laid out here. I even pulled the original into jpeg and resaved twice in case something went funny with the file during the save process. Each time the result was the same. Lines in the same locations.

I ENCOURAGE you to pull the original into paint and magnify it and see it for yourself so you know I'm not F'ing with you. Go pull it elsewhere off the web if you like. It blew my mind and everytime I did it the results were the same.

What does it mean?
Well, I don't know for certain but to me the answer is quite clear. This pic was put together like a patchwork quilt. The reason as to why is not quite as obvious. I have my own ideas but I'll not taint your mind with them. All i'll say is this. This pic was taken during the Bad era, shortly after Michael altered his appearance dramatically and shocked the world with it. This is the era where we began to be systematically trained to accept Michael's significant and frequent changes of appeareance.

;)
Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Are you entertained?

LLJ

Re: Problemo, funeral pics comparison
December 16, 2009, 12:16:16 PM
Okay, I tried, but can honestly say I don't have a clue what you just said!?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Deal with the faults of others as gently as with your own.
~ Chinese proverb

December 16, 2009, 12:28:39 PM
Good find.... Maybe the pic was altered just for the funeral??
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Everyday creates your HIStory.........
Everypath you take your leaving your legacy.......

December 16, 2009, 12:39:17 PM
are you saying these are two different people?because just upon looking at the 2 pics
i thought wow how different can one person look during the same photoshoot...
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

December 16, 2009, 12:41:05 PM
Bec,
you super sleuth, you! Thanks for sharing your expertise in photo-shop with us. I know nothing about this art so am glad when those who do point all of it out.  I, personally would like to hear your comments on this matter and why you think this photo was used (generated) etc. That is why we are all here and I think that everyone's thoughts/feelings may contribute to finding the truth in all of this. If uncomfortable posting your response, please pm me. Thanks.

Again, thanks for the informative post. Keep up the great investigative work!
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Michael Supporter
Be the change you wish to see in the world.
~Mahatma Gandhi

December 16, 2009, 12:44:24 PM
I was thinking the same thing.  Maybe they are 2 different people.  It could just be the different pose or angle, but if you REALLY LOOK at the two photos, you can see some subtle differences.  I don't know what the reason for it would be, but it is possible.  I am so confused! :roll:
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I am obsessed with a man I have never met, yet, I feel like I have known him forever.

Lou

December 16, 2009, 12:47:46 PM
Do you mean this photo is a fabrication? And that the changings in his appearance were a sort of... photoshop trick? I tried, but I don't know if I got it; hope you can share your ideas with us!
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

December 16, 2009, 12:50:31 PM
I must admit that I think that the second picture just looks odd to me.  The shape of his head.  It just looks like something is not quite right.  To me it looks as though his head has been superimposed into it.

Good find though on the 'patchworking' of the first pic.   :)
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"Michael, I am here for you always.  I give you my heart, my soul and I offer you my friendship."

December 16, 2009, 01:07:26 PM
:roll: thus from 2 Michaels was more often spare the speech .... good finding, thanks!
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

je

December 16, 2009, 01:21:56 PM
@Bec, I see what you speak of about the patch work when you zoom
in on a photo. I play around in photoshop as well. EX: when you to
 remove an object from a picture then you have a task of repairing
the area...i see it on the above photo of the ear...good work
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

December 16, 2009, 01:25:00 PM
Liberan Girl was "the central"(?) subject ... I find this contribution very good not to pass over this good.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

December 16, 2009, 01:36:31 PM
You had a lot of work with that, and I feel bad to write that...
BUT: I work with Photoshop and pics a lot and these line are a result of the zoom, respectively the down-calculation for the low resolution. They're always there, if you zoom in a low resolution pic.
When you have a pic in a resolution of 72 dpi (dots per inch) and zoom in, Photoshop will calculate to fill the pixels. Because, Photoshop can't perform miracles on something, that's not there.
I don't know exactly, how the grid at 72 dpi is calculated, but at zooming into a this pic with 72dpi, you'll always see squares, that hold the pixels. So one square is 8 px high and wide. You can see it on the pic I posted below.

Look, what great job Photoshop does, when you zoom in to a pic - this is, what Photoshop had to deal with in this case:
it just looks so real in the zoom, because Photoshop does the calculation so well - Photoshop doesn't know, how Michael Jackson looks like!
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

December 16, 2009, 01:44:23 PM
Oh my god, nice work. My opinion? I think his face was patched up from another photograph and placed onto this one. I dont know when this photo was originally released but I dont understand the idea of why they would photoshop a photo of him. Have they been cutting and pasting old and new Michael? Impersonator? To hide flaws? To show us this is as fake as the concept of the movie? But why would they photoshop it? I dont understand any of this.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JUST BECAUSE YOU READ IT IN THE MAGASINE OR SEE IT ON THE TV-SCREEN DONT MAKE IT FACTUAL.

becTopic starter

December 16, 2009, 09:38:07 PM
Yes, Ninanina, that's the point. The pixilation upon magnification is equal (and normal) elsewhere in both photos save for these lines. Please read my post again, I know it is long but I did address your concern.

What does it mean? It means this pic was shopped. I haven't any idea as to motive here except to apply the standard motive for shopping a pic; to make a photo appear to contain something that it doesn't.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Are you entertained?

December 16, 2009, 09:48:19 PM
Quote from: "bec"
Yes, Ninanina, that's the point. The pixilation upon magnification is equal (and normal) elsewhere in both photos save for these lines. Please read my post again, I know it is long but I did address your concern.

What does it mean? It means this pic was shopped. I haven't any idea as to motive here except to apply the standard motive for shopping a pic; to make a photo appear to contain something that it doesn't.

So you think it was a double and they shopped it to make a more convincing Michael?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions