ChanceTopic starter

LOS ANGELES — The administrators of Michael Jackson's estate and a cadre of attorneys are seeking millions for managing the King of Pop's affairs after death, court documents filed Tuesday show.

It's unclear how much exactly will be paid out.

The administrators of Jackson's estate, attorney John Branca and music executive John McClain, are seeking five percent of money the estate has earned so far.

The administrators and attorneys have not been paid since Jackson's death on June 25, the filings state.

The estate may have earned $100 million or more with the sale of rights to the concert film "This Is It," new music releases and merchandising agreements.

But Jackson's estate also faces significant debt and a lawsuit cites at least 10 lawsuits that are still pending. They include suits over the rights to "Thriller," Jackson's iconic song and music video directed by John Landis, and lawsuits filed by former associates.

The filings state that a detailed accounting of the estate's earnings is not ready, but attorneys have filed some financial records for the judge to review.

Many experts believe that Jackson's estate earnings could eclipse those of another famous, and profitable, music icon — Elvis Presley.

"Unlike the typical estate, the operation of Michael Jackson's estate is more akin to the operation of a multimillion dollar business enterprise," attorney Jeryll S. Cohen wrote in a filing.

She wrote that many of the attorneys working the case have spent up to 14 hours a day on the case, and that not approving the fees soon will create a financial hardship.

Branca is asking the five percent be paid to his firm. The filing states he is not asking for a personal fee for administration of the estate.

Payments would also go to a variety of firms, including one representing the interests of Jackson's children.

Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Mitchell Beckloff has scheduled a hearing for Jan. 4 to decide how much can be paid out.
Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

ChanceTopic starter

hmmm I just noticed that the article I posted above was reported one hour ago.. when I reached the bottom of the article I noticed this ....

Related articles
Michael Jackson estate administrators seek payment
The Associated Press - 51 minutes ago
Michael Jackson's Executors -- Pay Us Now!
TMZ.com (blog) - 3 hours ago
Greenville Daily Reflector - 48 minutes ago
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Lorrie

Many experts believe that Jackson's estate earnings could eclipse those of another famous, and profitable, music icon — Elvis Presley.
The magic word is "profitable."

Of course, the estate administrators and their massive legal teams are seeking payment. This development was bound to happen eventually. The estate administrators are due a set percentage of the estate's value by law. And I'm sure they've involved as many attorneys and legal staffers as possible to benefit as much as possible. That's how the legal profession "bills."

But, trust me, none of these legal eagles are hurting financially just because they haven't been paid anything from Michael's estate since June 25 and claim they work 14-hour days. Almost every lawyer works 14-hour days or longer, if you get my drift. Paralegals work even more. It's all about those mysterious billable hours, no matter what the lawyers and paralegals are actually doing during the time they bill for.

They do deserve to get paid, though. I just hope nobody stoops to suing the estate for that money. Enough with the lawsuits.
Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 10:24:09 PM by Lorrie
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Lorrie

Quote from: "Chance"
hmmm I just noticed that the article I posted above was reported one hour ago.. when I reached the bottom of the article I noticed this ....

Related articles
I suppose you're pointing out the fact that, once again, TMZ was the first to report, and by a big stretch of time. And so it goes...
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

ChanceTopic starter

Quote from: "Lorrie"

Related articles
I suppose you're pointing out the fact that, once again, TMZ was the first to report, and by a big stretch of time. And so it goes...

Yes! funny huh.. they must have some damn good reporters working at TMZ
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Lorrie

Yes! funny huh.. they must have some damn good reporters working at TMZ
They are definitely on the ball when it comes to news about Michael. And this time, the news is actually true! Who'da thunk? (Don't get me started on the ridiculous urination explanation crap and whatnot.)
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

mjboogie

I would like to know if MJ has indeed hoaxed the death , then what about all of this stuff going on with his estate? I am sure he is aware but if he were to reveal himself wouldn't he be in trouble? :(
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jill

Quote from: "mjboogie"
I would like to know if MJ has indeed hoaxed the death , then what about all of this stuff going on with his estate? I am sure he is aware but if he were to reveal himself wouldn't he be in trouble? :(

I would think it would be fraud or something like it.  In my opinion, he would be best served not to come back in the US at all.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Quote from: "mjboogie"

If he hoaxed his death, WITHOUT the help of the U.S. Government, then yes, there would be legal consequences for the hoax if he should return. However, if the Government helped him, as a means to help protect him, then there would not be legal ramifications.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.  ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

(Translation = Just because I might disagree with you does not mean I\'m attacking you.)