Is It Custom in USA for an Open Casket?
December 15, 2009, 02:50:04 PM
I am from UK and it is not the custom to have an open casket at a Church of England Funeral Service...  it is always a closed casket.
It can be custom to have an open casket for Catholic ceremonies though.

This is why there wasnt an open casket for Princess Diana as it just isnt the custom here.

Is it custom in the USA to have an open casket?  Is that why everyone is saying it is unusual for him to have a closed casket at the memorial??

Also....  what is the usual custom for Jehovah Witness ceremonies?
Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Always the Angel on My Shoulder

Re: Is It Custom in USA for an Open Casket?
December 15, 2009, 10:20:22 PM
I am not sure about the Jehovah's Witness custom on open caskets, but in the U.S., there is usually an open casket UNLESS the deceased was severely injured and shouldn't be shown.  Even if the deceased is going to be cremated, they will usually have an open casket showing before.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I am obsessed with a man I have never met, yet, I feel like I have known him forever.

nlb

December 15, 2009, 10:29:43 PM
I don't know if it's custom, but most funerals that I have gone to have had an open casket. I think it is a matter of choice or as MJJLives said if the person is severely injured, burned, or any other reason an open casket would not be possible.

I found this:
Jehovah's Witnesses Funeral Services

Based on the Christian Bible, the Jehovah’s Witnesses faith is known for proselytizing and their expectations that the world soon will end. Then, the fulfillment of God’s kingdom will occur and Christ will return to rule. They also believe that, in the meantime, God demands unconditional obedience to the teachings of the Bible.

Members of the Church devote time and energy to sharing their ideas with others. They do not vote, participate in politics or join interfaith groups. In terms of death, they believe that the soul waits, in an unconscious state, for resurrection to life. Most believers will be raised to an earthly paradise, but a selected few will rule with Christ in Heaven.

The Jehovah’s Witnesses funeral service is similar to other Christian faiths, but lasts only 15 or 30 minutes. The funeral usually takes place within a week after death. At the service, men wear a suit and tie, and women are expected to dress modestly, but neither needs a head covering. Flowers and food may be offered to the family before, during or after the service.

Services take place in a funeral home or Kingdom Hall, the Jehovah’s Witnesses place of worship. There may or may not be an open casket. The Congregation Elder conducts the service and delivers a talk, which may be tape recorded. Cameras or video equipment, however, are not permitted. Guests who are not of this faith may participate in the service to the extent that they feel comfortable. At graveside, the scriptures are referenced and a prayer is read.

There is no rule concerning when the bereaved may return to work and social activities, but visits from friends after the funeral are welcome.

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

December 15, 2009, 10:40:36 PM
Hmmm, interesting about the "no cameras or video equipment permitted."  Was the funeral considered a Jehovah's Witness funeral?  If so, looks like they may have bent the rules a little! ;)
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
I am obsessed with a man I have never met, yet, I feel like I have known him forever.

December 15, 2009, 11:36:51 PM
Quote from: "MJJLives"
Hmmm, interesting about the "no cameras or video equipment permitted."  Was the funeral considered a Jehovah's Witness funeral?  If so, looks like they may have bent the rules a little! ;)

I also posted that info a few days ago:

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.  ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

(Translation = Just because I might disagree with you does not mean I\'m attacking you.)

MJsSuperflyPYT

December 16, 2009, 12:03:48 AM
@mjjlives That's a really good question...seeing as how Michael became disfellowshipped from the JW a long time ago.  I think maybe they bent the rules more than a little.  I wonder what some of the JW brothers/sisters thought of LaToya's backless dress  ;) ?

Yeah, an open casket is a matter of choice.  Most of the ones I've been to have been open unless, like nlb and mjjlives already said, there is something wrong that makes the body unviewable.  It's not uncommon for some people to already have their funeral arrangements made before they die.  That way they let their loved ones know how they want the services to be conducted at the time of their passing.  It tends to make things easier for the family in such a difficult and sorrowful time.  The family just carries out the wishes of their departed loved one.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

December 17, 2009, 01:38:39 PM
Thanks for the information     :)
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Always the Angel on My Shoulder

Oyan

December 18, 2009, 06:13:07 PM
I once attended the funeral of a friend who was a Jehovah Witness, and there was'nt even a casket. :?  
She was a very, very dear friend of mine (domestic abuse turned to murder) and I did want to see her one last time  Very beautiful, physically and spiritually.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

mjboogie

December 21, 2009, 05:52:44 PM
Well the family did state that they viewed MJ's body during the private service remember?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions