MissGTopic starter

Cats and Dogs. Organizations worldwide.
November 04, 2010, 05:44:59 AM
Animals can suffer and feel pain. There is, however, inadequate protection for vast numbers of animals in many parts of the world. Animals continue to suffer needlessly due to intentional and unintentional cruelty, ignorance and neglect.

There is an urgent need for an international commitment to protect animals and their welfare. Such a commitment would inspire political leaders, organisations and individuals to treat animals better and will be the beginning of the end of animal cruelty across the world. It is our responsibility to ensure that animals are given the protection they deserve and that the indisputable link between animal welfare, the protection of people and the planet is recognised.

Achieving such a commitment in the form of a Universal Declaration on Animal Welfare (UDAW) is a vital springboard to changes in policies and legislation, improve enforcement and inspire positive attitudes towards animals in every corner of the world. Achieving this at the United Nations will create the required pressure for governments to put in place firm laws and enforcement for animal welfare

# There are around 1 billion stray cats and dogs in the world. They are sometimes feared and persecuted by people terrified of catching diseases like rabies. Local authorities often have no laws regarding the humane treatment of such animals, so poisoning, shooting and electrocution, which often cause slow and painful death, are common.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

The Universal Declaration on Animal Welfare (UDAW) is a proposed inter-governmental agreement to recognise that animals are sentient, to prevent cruelty and reduce suffering, and to promote standards on the welfare of animals such as farm animals, companion animals, animals in scientific research, draught animals, wildlife animals and animals in recreation.[1]

It is proposed that a UDAW be adopted by the United Nations. If endorsed by the UN (as the Universal Declaration of Human Rights was) the UDAW would be a non-binding set of principles that acknowledges the importance of the sentience of animals and human responsibilities towards them. The principles were designed to encourage and enable national governments to introduce and improve animal protection legislation and initiatives.

It has been argued that a UDAW is consistent with, and could help secure the achievement of, the UN Millennium Development Goals.[2][3]

This should not be confused with the Universal Declaration on Animal Rights (UDAR).

UDAR

UNIVERSAL DECLARATION OF ANIMAL RIGHTS

Translations avaible on:

Preamble

Considering
that Life is one, all living beings having a common origin and having diversified in the course of the evolution of the species;

Considering
that all living beings possess natural rights, and that any animal with a nervous system has specific rights;

Considering
that the contempt for, and even the simple ignorance of these natural rights cause serious damage to nature and lead man to commit crimes against animals;

Considering
that the coexistence of species implies a recognition by the human species of the right of other animal species to live;

Considering
that the respect of humans for animals is inseparable from the respect of man for another man.

IT IS HEREBY PROCLAIMED:

Article 1
All animals are born equal and they have the same rights to existence.

Article 2
a) Every animal has the right to be respected.
b) Man, like the animal species, cannot assume the right to exterminate other animals or to exploit them, thereby violating this right. He should use his conscience for the service of the animals.
c) Every animal has the right to consideration, good treatment and the protection of man.

Article 3
a) No animal should be submitted to bad treatment or cruel actions.
b) If the death of an animal is necessary, this should be sudden and without fear or pain.

Article 4
a) All animals belonging to a wild species have the right to live free in their natural environment, and have the right to reproduce.
b) Each deprivation of freedom, even for educational purposes, is in opposition to this right.

Article 5
a) Every animal that usually lives in a domestic environment must live and grow to a rhythm natural to his species.
b) Any change to this rhythm and conditions dictated by man for mercantile purpose, is a contradiction of this law.

Article 6
a) All animals selected by man, as companions must have a life corresponding to their natural longevity.
b) To abandon an animal is a cruel and degrading action.

Article 7
Working animals must only work for a limited period and must not be worked to exhaustion. They must have adequate food and rest.

Article 8
a) Experiments on animals that cause physical and mental pain, are incompatible with animal rights, even if it is for medical, scientific, commercial or any other kind of experiment.
b) A substitute technique must be investigated and developed.

Article 9
In the eventuality of an animal bred for food, it must be fed, managed, transported and killed without it being in fear or pain.

Article 10
a) No animal should be used for entertainment.
b) Animal exhibitions and shows that use animals are incompatible with anÊ animal's dignity.

Article 11
Every action that causes the unnecessary death of an animal, is cruel which is a crime against life.

Article 12
a) Every action that causes the death of a lot of wild animals is genocide, that is a crime against the species.
b) Pollution and destruction leads to the extinction of the species.

Article 13
a) Dead animals must be treated with respect.
b) Violent scenes, where animals are the victims, must be forbidden at the cinema and on TV, unless they are for the demonstration of animal rights.

Article 14
a) Protection and safeguarding associations must be represented at government level.
b) Animal rights must be defended by law as are human rights.

The text of the UNIVERSAL DECLARATION OF ANIMAL RIGHTS has been adopted from the International League of Animal Rights and Affiliated National Leagues in the course of an International Meeting on Animal Rights which took place in London from 21st to 23rd September 1977.

More organizations

Please, feel free to add your local or preferred organization as well  :)
Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
("Minkin güerveeeee")
Michael pls come back

"Why a four-year-old child could understand this hoax. Run out and find me a four-year-old child. I can't make head nor tail out of it"

PureLove

• Hoaxer
  • View Profile
  • To die would be an awfully big adventure.
Re: Cats and Dogs. Organizations worldwide.
November 06, 2010, 11:56:26 PM
Amazing post Gema. Thank you. I adore animals. I LOVE them so soooooo much. I'm already a member of IFAW but I will be checking out the other organizations too. God bless.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

_Anna_

November 07, 2010, 01:25:56 AM
I adore animals, it's something that for me is higher when I think about beings. I adore animals and fight for their rights all the time, and try to help them all the time.
There's no day I don't find a dog on the streets and not carressing them and talk to them, buy them some food, show them I love them so much.

I have 3 cats, 2 girls and a boy, whom I love with all my heart, they are my babies. For real.  At the same time I love all the animals equally, not only mine, no matter if it's a cat, dog, rabbit or butterfly. There's nothing in this world more pure and more honest than an animal. An animal would never hurt you if you do not hurt them. And they love you unconditionally.

My little princess (one of my cats) is so intelligent and she really understands everything I tell her. She absolutely LOVES Michael. Seriously, maybe I should put a video as proof; she is absolutely melting when I put her some Michael music, and her favourite of all is "Heal the world", and others she loves are "Earth song", "You are not alone", "Smooth criminal", "Someone in the dark". Everytime I listen to Michael she even waks up if she's sleeping and comes on my desk and sits down besides the speakers, closes her eyes and has a huge delight expression on the face.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

LLJ

November 07, 2010, 07:36:16 AM
wow amazing, I wish animal rights would increase in the world.

They are so defenseless, so pure, they are wonderful. I don't understand how people can hurt animals...
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Deal with the faults of others as gently as with your own.
~ Chinese proverb

MissGTopic starter

November 07, 2010, 12:36:54 PM
this article apply for any part of the world. Check your local or nearest shelter in case you find a stray pet.
Also, calling the emergency number of your area and informing about the event in you find an animal in the road or that could be in danger and/ or cause danger is a good help.

What to Do if You Find a Stray Pet

The Humane Society of the United States

You're driving your car when you see a dog on the side of the road. With a sinking feeling, you realize he's alone. What should you do?

How to help

This is a wrenching scenario for all who care about animals. Once you've seen the dog (or cat or even rabbit), many feel it's too late to drive away from him or her. After all, what if your own pet were standing there? So, before you pull over, use these guidelines for assisting animals safely and effectively.
Safety first

You cannot help an animal if you become injured in the process. Look in your rear-view mirror before braking, signal your intentions, pull your car completely off the road, turn off the ignition, set the parking brake and put on hazard lights. If you have emergency flares, prepare to use them.

Consider the safety of the animal. A strange, frightened and possibly sick or injured animal can behave unpredictably. A sudden move on your part, even opening your car door, can spook him and cause him to bolt—possibly right onto the highway. If the animal looks or acts threatening, or, if for any reason, you feel uneasy about the situation, stay in your car.

If possible, restrain the animal. Create a barrier or use a carrier, leash, piece of cloth or length of rope to keep the animal from leaving the area. Signal approaching vehicles to slow down if you cannot confine the animal, or divert traffic around him if he appears to be injured and is still on the roadway.
Use caution

Use caution when approaching the animal. Should you succeed in getting close enough to capture him, you stand a good chance of being scratched or bitten.

When approaching the animal, speak calmly to reassure him. Make sure he can see you at all times as you approach, and perhaps entice him to come to you by offering a strong-smelling food such as canned tuna or dried liver.
Lure him in

Try to lure an animal into your car with food, close the door, and wait for help. Only do this if you are certain someone will come to get the animal very soon. In most cases it is not a good idea to attempt to drive somewhere with a strange dog unrestrained in your car; he may become frantic or aggressive once you're in the car with him. Cats may do the same, as well as lodge themselves under the car seat, from which extracting them can be dangerous.
Call for backup

If you're not able to safely restrain the animal, call the local police or animal control agency. Do so whether or not the animal is injured, and whether or not he is wearing an identification tag. Call the local animal care and control agency (in rural areas, call the police or sheriff) and report the situation. Leave your phone number with the dispatcher and try to get an estimate of how long it may take someone to respond. If possible, stay on the scene to keep an eye on the dog or cat until help arrives. Make sure you report to authorities precisely where the animal is by using road names, mile markers or landmarks.
Take him to safety

If you are able to transport the animal, take him to the nearest animal shelter. If you plan to keep the animal in the event no owner is found, notify animal control that you have the animal or that you have taken him to a veterinary hospital for treatment. You can usually place a free "found" ad in your local newspaper. Keep a copy of the ID to prove your good intentions should any question arise later.
Be ready

If you know in your heart that you're a rescuer, why not equip yourself to do the best possible job? Here are some things to have in your car at all times:

* Phone; phone numbers of local animal control, a shelter, and a 24-hour emergency veterinary clinic
    * Cat carrier or cardboard box
    * Collars and strong leashes for dogs
    * Heavy blanket; water bowls and water
    * Strong-smelling foods, such as canned tuna or dried liver
    * An animal first-aid kit.

Check the laws

To check on any relevant laws in your state, county or town, contact your local animal control agency, humane society or SPCA. Many times the animal you find along the highway will turn out to be un-owned, unwanted and unclaimed. Even so, the person finding the stray dog or cat does not automatically become the owner or keeper until he has satisfied certain state and/or local requirements.

In almost every state, the animal is not "owned" by the finder until the holding period for strays (as specified by state or local laws) has expired and the finder has made an attempt to reunite the animal with his original owner and/or has taken steps—obtaining vaccinations, license, collar and identification tag—to prove he is now the owner.
Accidents happen

Good Samaritans who have never lost a cherished companion animal may conclude that the owner of the found dog or cat callously abandoned him or, at the very least, neglected to keep him safely confined at home. But accidents can happen to anyone. The frantic owner could be looking everywhere for their beloved pet.

Understand the limitations of animal care and control agencies. Once you have taken the initiative, time and trouble to rescue a dog or cat along the highway, you might be surprised to find that the rest of the pet care community might not necessarily rush forward to do what you see as its part. For instance, you can take a badly injured stray dog to animal control and find out that the agency is unable to provide expensive surgery to treat the dog's injuries. In those cases, shelters euthanize the animals to relieve them from their suffering. A cat with relatively minor injuries can be kept for only the mandated stray holding period and then be euthanized. Virtually all animal control facilities have severe budgetary or space limitations and must make painful decisions about how best to allocate their inadequate resources.

Before you take an injured animal to a private veterinary hospital for treatment, be willing to assume financial responsibility for the animal before treatment begins. Good care is not cheap, and many veterinarians have many Samaritans in their waiting rooms every year. Anyone who is committed to trying to save injured stray animals should discuss these issues in advance with the veterinarian. Fortunately, some states have laws that allow the veterinarian to collect from a fund for treating unowned injured animals who have been presented to them by animal control or a good Samaritan.

If you're uncertain about whether or not to help or keep an animal you see alongside the road, here's a final word of advice: First, think of what you would want the finder of your animal to do if he happened to find him injured without his collar.

You'd want him to take your pet to a veterinarian, and you'd want him to try to find you. At the same time, be reasonable about how much you can afford to do for that animal if no owner shows up.

Are you willing to add him to your household? And will you be willing to return him to his original home if the owner turns up after you've started to form an attachment?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
("Minkin güerveeeee")
Michael pls come back

"Why a four-year-old child could understand this hoax. Run out and find me a four-year-old child. I can't make head nor tail out of it"

RK

August 07, 2011, 09:44:42 PM
This link has before and after pictures. Love truly does heal all wounds. Be warned the before pictures may upset, but the after rescue pics make it so worthwhile.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

MissGTopic starter

August 08, 2011, 03:07:02 PM
 bearhug
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
("Minkin güerveeeee")
Michael pls come back

titania

August 09, 2011, 08:49:17 AM
Thank you all for all the heartwarming and highly valuable information put in this thread. As an owner of an abandoned  pet I am of course happy that so many pets get taken care of, even though they have been unfortunate to start their lives being maltreated or abandoned by heartless soulless selfish humans.

My darling Charlie Chaplin was dumped at my riding club 11 years ago. He was allegedly dumped there by a woman in a car. Charlie was about 8 weeks at the time, a tiny black and white kitty left to fend for himself on a dung heap.

It didn't take long for me to become his patron. First I brought him food and played with him, then I began considering taking him home. One of the staff warned me that he was "ferocious" and had attacked her dogs. They were two huge Rottweilers and apparently he had jumped up on their backs and put his tiny teeth into their thick necks when they started chasing him...But I realized two things: he was a born horserider! And a very smart cat at that- he understood how to get away fro the enemy! I laughed and took him home where I had two cats. Only a month ago I had adopted a 1 year old male cat as companion to my lady cat. So in a month i WENT FROM 1 CAT TO 3!!!
This would be jolly interesting... What happened was Charlie immediately made himself at home- and ate an slept and ate and slept. He slept on his back on my comforter with all four legs straight up in the air. Ahd what did Selma do? She put her nose in the air and looked in the opposite direction. What did Herkules do? He became "Mother" and looked after the little guy, washing him,cuddling him, and escorting him to the litter tray. It was wonderful to see how they bonded and had loads of fun together.

Today they are two brothers and have mock fights and share my bed and enjoy being indoor cats .  And Selma watches in amused detachment!

So how come it was to be Charlie Chaplin, my great little entertainer and me? He looked me straight in the eye and I felt the chosen one, of course. It takes an Aries to know an Aries!

And to this day I feel it is one of the best things that I have ever done!

Titania
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
FOOTPRINTS IN OUR SOULS
Fleet feet versus Fleet Street-Twinkling toes to swirling lies-Poisoned ink slides down the sink,
Moonwalker dances on and on, A trail of footprints in our souls

MissGTopic starter

August 11, 2011, 11:52:02 AM
I loved reading your story.

Thanks to people like you, many pets have a second chance  bearhug
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
("Minkin güerveeeee")
Michael pls come back

paula-c

August 11, 2011, 01:15:10 PM
Animals can suffer and feel pain. There is, however, inadequate protection for vast numbers of animals in many parts of the world. Animals continue to suffer needlessly due to intentional and unintentional cruelty, ignorance and neglect.

There is an urgent need for an international commitment to protect animals and their welfare. Such a commitment would inspire political leaders, organisations and individuals to treat animals better and will be the beginning of the end of animal cruelty across the world. It is our responsibility to ensure that animals are given the protection they deserve and that the indisputable link between animal welfare, the protection of people and the planet is recognised.

Achieving such a commitment in the form of a Universal Declaration on Animal Welfare (UDAW) is a vital springboard to changes in policies and legislation, improve enforcement and inspire positive attitudes towards animals in every corner of the world. Achieving this at the United Nations will create the required pressure for governments to put in place firm laws and enforcement for animal welfare

# There are around 1 billion stray cats and dogs in the world. They are sometimes feared and persecuted by people terrified of catching diseases like rabies. Local authorities often have no laws regarding the humane treatment of such animals, so poisoning, shooting and electrocution, which often cause slow and painful death, are common.

The Universal Declaration on Animal Welfare (UDAW) is a proposed inter-governmental agreement to recognise that animals are sentient, to prevent cruelty and reduce suffering, and to promote standards on the welfare of animals such as farm animals, companion animals, animals in scientific research, draught animals, wildlife animals and animals in recreation.[1]

It is proposed that a UDAW be adopted by the United Nations. If endorsed by the UN (as the Universal Declaration of Human Rights was) the UDAW would be a non-binding set of principles that acknowledges the importance of the sentience of animals and human responsibilities towards them. The principles were designed to encourage and enable national governments to introduce and improve animal protection legislation and initiatives.

It has been argued that a UDAW is consistent with, and could help secure the achievement of, the UN Millennium Development Goals.[2][3]

This should not be confused with the Universal Declaration on Animal Rights (UDAR).

UDAR

UNIVERSAL DECLARATION OF ANIMAL RIGHTS

Translations avaible on:

Preamble

Considering
that Life is one, all living beings having a common origin and having diversified in the course of the evolution of the species;

Considering
that all living beings possess natural rights, and that any animal with a nervous system has specific rights;

Considering
that the contempt for, and even the simple ignorance of these natural rights cause serious damage to nature and lead man to commit crimes against animals;

Considering
that the coexistence of species implies a recognition by the human species of the right of other animal species to live;

Considering
that the respect of humans for animals is inseparable from the respect of man for another man.

IT IS HEREBY PROCLAIMED:

Article 1
All animals are born equal and they have the same rights to existence.

Article 2
a) Every animal has the right to be respected.
b) Man, like the animal species, cannot assume the right to exterminate other animals or to exploit them, thereby violating this right. He should use his conscience for the service of the animals.
c) Every animal has the right to consideration, good treatment and the protection of man.

Article 3
a) No animal should be submitted to bad treatment or cruel actions.
b) If the death of an animal is necessary, this should be sudden and without fear or pain.

Article 4
a) All animals belonging to a wild species have the right to live free in their natural environment, and have the right to reproduce.
b) Each deprivation of freedom, even for educational purposes, is in opposition to this right.

Article 5
a) Every animal that usually lives in a domestic environment must live and grow to a rhythm natural to his species.
b) Any change to this rhythm and conditions dictated by man for mercantile purpose, is a contradiction of this law.

Article 6
a) All animals selected by man, as companions must have a life corresponding to their natural longevity.
b) To abandon an animal is a cruel and degrading action.

Article 7
Working animals must only work for a limited period and must not be worked to exhaustion. They must have adequate food and rest.

Article 8
a) Experiments on animals that cause physical and mental pain, are incompatible with animal rights, even if it is for medical, scientific, commercial or any other kind of experiment.
b) A substitute technique must be investigated and developed.

Article 9
In the eventuality of an animal bred for food, it must be fed, managed, transported and killed without it being in fear or pain.

Article 10
a) No animal should be used for entertainment.
b) Animal exhibitions and shows that use animals are incompatible with anÊ animal's dignity.

Article 11
Every action that causes the unnecessary death of an animal, is cruel which is a crime against life.

Article 12
a) Every action that causes the death of a lot of wild animals is genocide, that is a crime against the species.
b) Pollution and destruction leads to the extinction of the species.

Article 13
a) Dead animals must be treated with respect.
b) Violent scenes, where animals are the victims, must be forbidden at the cinema and on TV, unless they are for the demonstration of animal rights.

Article 14
a) Protection and safeguarding associations must be represented at government level.
b) Animal rights must be defended by law as are human rights.

The text of the UNIVERSAL DECLARATION OF ANIMAL RIGHTS has been adopted from the International League of Animal Rights and Affiliated National Leagues in the course of an International Meeting on Animal Rights which took place in London from 21st to 23rd September 1977.

More organizations

Please, feel free to add your local or preferred organization as well   :)

MissG There is to fight against the bullfights :evil: :roll:
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

MissGTopic starter

August 13, 2011, 02:32:37 PM
We are trying, Paula

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
("Minkin güerveeeee")
Michael pls come back

paula-c

August 13, 2011, 03:07:56 PM
We are trying, Paula

lolol/
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

everlastinglove_MJ

August 13, 2011, 04:14:15 PM
Good thread MissG respect/ . Animal suffering should be banned and animal protection should be increased worldwide by monitoring the enforcement of laws on animal care and protection. In Holland the Animal Police is very active and effective and I must say I'm pretty proud of it. The PR around the arrival of the Animal Police is also a good thing, because awareness of all the cruelty has been created as well.

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
It's all for L.O.V.E.

MissGTopic starter

August 14, 2011, 04:11:59 PM
That´s great!
Animal police is needed in many countries, unfortunately.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
("Minkin güerveeeee")
Michael pls come back

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal