No reactions
No reactions

Yeah we're all wonderful, wonderful people
so when did we all get so fearful?
and now we're finally finding our voices
so take a chance, come help me sing this

Re: thisisalsoit on twitter posted link
March 26, 2010, 08:27:36 PM
I found this on wikipedia, and find this meaning to be more appropriate to the snowglobe;

'In Libba Bray's book, Going Bovine , snowglobes are used periodically as metaphors for the constraints of reality and life as we know it. At the end of the book, the main characters smash them, claiming that they are "freeing the snowglobes". '
Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

March 26, 2010, 08:35:16 PM
...this also found on Wiki, may be even more appropriate to the snowglobe reference;

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
 Plot
Charles Foster Kane (Orson Welles), the enormously wealthy media proprietor, has lost his power and been abandoned by his loved ones, and has been living alone in his vast palatial estate Xanadu for the last years of his life, with a "No trespassing" sign on the gate. He dies in a bed while holding a snow globe, and utters "Rosebud..."; the globe smashes.

Kane's death then becomes sensational news around the world. Newsreel reporter Jerry Thompson (William Alland) tries to find out about Kane's private life and, in particular, to discover the meaning behind his last word. The reporter interviews the great man's friends and associates, and Kane's story unfolds as a series of flashbacks.

Edit to add...Wow, after reading this entire wiki page on citizen kane, I am sure this is what the globe is referencing!!!  I also just googled Michael Jackson and Citizen Kane and tons of pages referencing the similarities are to be found!!!
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

paula-c

March 26, 2010, 09:24:23 PM
All his views were well respected and very valid, in my opinion is a metaphorical sense;
Snow is metaphor of silence and tranquility... when the snowflakes fall there is a total and absolute silence. :?:  :lol:
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

March 26, 2010, 09:33:48 PM
Quote from: "lotus_sutra"
...this also found on Wiki, may be even more appropriate to the snowglobe reference;

Plot
Charles Foster Kane (Orson Welles), the enormously wealthy media proprietor, has lost his power and been abandoned by his loved ones, and has been living alone in his vast palatial estate Xanadu for the last years of his life, with a "No trespassing" sign on the gate. He dies in a bed while holding a snow globe, and utters "Rosebud..."; the globe smashes.

Kane's death then becomes sensational news around the world. Newsreel reporter Jerry Thompson (William Alland) tries to find out about Kane's private life and, in particular, to discover the meaning behind his last word. The reporter interviews the great man's friends and associates, and Kane's story unfolds as a series of flashbacks.

Edit to add...Wow, after reading this entire wiki page on citizen kane, I am sure this is what the globe is referencing!!!  I also just googled Michael Jackson and Citizen Kane and tons of pages referencing the similarities are to be found!!!

i've seen "Citizen Kane" so many times. now that you've mentioned it, there are a ton of similarities. also, "Citizen Kane" has been viewed by critics for many, many years as one of-if not THE- most significant and important films in history (due to editing, camera placement, etc). the plot alone is intriguing- the entire movie is about unveiling the mystery of who kane was. in the end, you see the symbolism that you wouldn't have known before. (much like we are discovering the truths of michael we haven't seen before) we all know michael loved his classic movies. it makes sense that this would tie into everything. thanks for the correlation!! i hope this is what they are alluding to...
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

March 26, 2010, 09:52:51 PM
mjfansince4, thank you for your kind and reassuring response...when I looked up snowglobe on wiki, 'Citizen Kane' was at the top of the list...I had never heard of this movie before, after reading the long wiki page on it, I am sure this is what we were supposed to find.  Now I must see the movie, lol!  
Thank you thisisalsoit on twitter, I love searching for clues!!!! 8-)
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

paula-c

March 26, 2010, 10:16:04 PM
mjfansince4 his theory is very logical, look at this comparison I got

Citizen Kane built a huge mega mansion / castle modeled on "Xanadu", from Coleridge's poem Kubla Khan.  Michael Jackson built a huge mega mansion / castle modeled on "Neverland" from JM Barrie's Peter Pan.
 Citizen Kane has his own private zoo in Xanadu, including ... wait for it .... Chimpanzees! Citizen Kane has a private zoo in Xanadu, for example ... wait .... CHIMPANZEES!

Citizen Kane was living in his mansion, largely isolated from the outside world. And surprise surprise, so did Michael Jackson.  Citizen Kane's death was met with massive newsreels, bulletins screaming it all over the world in all different languages (as per the opening sequence).

After Kane's death, his accumulated material possessions are sold, auctioned or burnt. And what about all the things that Michael Jackson again?

If you write "Charles Foster Kane 'using only the letters found in' Michael Jackson ', is an anagram of Michael Jackson.

The evidence speaks for itself. Orson Welles was truly ahead of its time, with a film that deconstructs the life of a man not yet born. . Of course, this opens the film to many new interpretations. Are we to understand that singing career failed Kane's mistress, Susan Alexander is a symbol of the breakdown of the Jackson Five Jackson originals? Or perhaps infer that constant overspending Michael Jackson, only to find a deeper spiritual fulfillment?  ;)
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

March 26, 2010, 10:32:57 PM
Quote from: "paula-c"
mjfansince4 his theory is very logical, look at this comparison I got

Citizen Kane built a huge mega mansion / castle modeled on "Xanadu", from Coleridge's poem Kubla Khan.  Michael Jackson built a huge mega mansion / castle modeled on "Neverland" from JM Barrie's Peter Pan.
 Citizen Kane has his own private zoo in Xanadu, including ... wait for it .... Chimpanzees! Citizen Kane has a private zoo in Xanadu, for example ... wait .... CHIMPANZEES!

Citizen Kane was living in his mansion, largely isolated from the outside world. And surprise surprise, so did Michael Jackson.  Citizen Kane's death was met with massive newsreels, bulletins screaming it all over the world in all different languages (as per the opening sequence).

After Kane's death, his accumulated material possessions are sold, auctioned or burnt. And what about all the things that Michael Jackson again?

If you write "Charles Foster Kane 'using only the letters found in' Michael Jackson ', is an anagram of Michael Jackson.

The evidence speaks for itself. Orson Welles was truly ahead of its time, with a film that deconstructs the life of a man not yet born. . Of course, this opens the film to many new interpretations. Are we to understand that singing career failed Kane's mistress, Susan Alexander is a symbol of the breakdown of the Jackson Five Jackson originals? Or perhaps infer that constant overspending Michael Jackson, only to find a deeper spiritual fulfillment?  ;)

very good analysis! another parallel? Orson Welles was behind the camera directing and also starred in the movie as Kane. Hmm....Who was behind the camera for a movie and also starred as the leading man? Oh! That's right, Michael!!! "Citizen Kane" innovated film and set the standard for films today...who's to say TII isn't another innovation??

@lotus_sutra- you must see "Citizen Kane." It's really good. Even if classics aren't your thing, the movie is just fascinating.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

paula-c

March 26, 2010, 10:44:40 PM
mjfansince4 ;)  :lol:
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

ZIsis

March 27, 2010, 03:55:15 AM
lotus_sutra ,  paula-c  &  mjfansince4, THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

God, I love this place; there always is someone who thinks different, someone who can rise above the constrains of their own immediate emotional turmoil (some of us are 'ruled' by the extremes of our whirlwind temperaments :oops: ), someone who makes the other person on the throes of disappointment feel TONS better  :)

So I say, YAY, Bring on the snowglobes...'metaphorical' ones, of course!  ;)  8-) :D  :lol:  :D

L.O.V.E & LOVE ALL THE WAY!
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

March 27, 2010, 05:24:06 AM
Quote from: "ZIsis"
lotus_sutra ,  paula-c  &  mjfansince4, THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

God, I love this place; there always is someone who thinks different, someone who can rise above the constrains of their own immediate emotional turmoil (some of us are 'ruled' by the extremes of our whirlwind temperaments :oops: ), someone who makes the other person on the throes of disappointment feel TONS better  :)

So I say, YAY, Bring on the snowglobes...'metaphorical' ones, of course!  ;)  8-) :D  :lol:  :D

haha you're welcome. the credit really goes to lotus_sutra for finding the correlation and paula-c for doing an excellent analysis. i just put in my two cents from what i've learned in my film aesthetics and communication classes. i love this place too! everyone here is so forward thinking- it just shows you how fascinating people are. how they find things you don't even think of and then once you think about it, it clicks! and thank you for posting the snow globe on here so we can figure out what layers of meaning are placed within it!
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

paula-c

March 27, 2010, 07:33:25 PM

Well guys, you assertion is Citizen Kane, and the meaning of Rosebud, .. Rosebud, that sled that sighs Kane in one of the best early I remember a film. Rosebud, lost childhood, unreachable happiness, how easy, the pure... Rosebud, repentance achieved adulthood to the important values that you can enjoy child. ;)
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

ZIsis

March 27, 2010, 07:51:33 PM
Hmmm...I suppose, this is more reinforcement about yesterday's snow globe in relation to Citizen Kane; sort of like, driving it home for those of us who failed to see the point on our first attempt & without help... ;)

[youtube:3qdw0j9r]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZOzk7T93wE[/youtube:3qdw0j9r]

Yes, the similarities are most intriguing, but since I haven't seen it myself, please tell me more about it, especially how the movie ends...

I found this concluding passage in the at the wiki page plot summary (the highlights are my own as usual):

" Thompson is unable to solve the mystery and concludes that "Rosebud" will forever remain an enigma. He theorizes that "Mr. Kane was a man who got everything he wanted, and then lost it: Maybe Rosebud was something he couldn't get, or something he lost." In the ending of the film, it is revealed to the audience that Rosebud was the name of the sled from Kane's childhood, from the time before he was taken from his parents and gained his wealth - an allusion to the only time in his life when he was really happy. The sled, thought to be junk, is destroyed by Xanadu's departing staff in a basement furnace. The film ends as it began, with a view of the "No Trespassing" sign posted on the fence of Xanadu indicating how little we actually know about people."

Ok, now for just a few random thoughts (my specialty :P )...First, I take people's word (the expert & fan reviews, I mean) for it when they say this was a "brilliant" movie. But it all sounds so terribly sad to me. I mean, this man who had had 'apparently' everything an average person longs for (I mean, on the 'materialistic' front, of course) spent an entire lifetime yearning for something that many of us take for granted; the security of a "normal" childhood (as I believe "Rosebud" is more the symbolic aspect rather than the actual sled itself). So much so, that his last thoughts were of the 'elusive utopia' that he desperately sought (perhaps his accumulation of wealth kept him busy & driven that he could temporarily escape from his fixation with the past: perhaps he believed that his wealth would assist him in finding what he lost in the past; maybe a bit of both) & failed to achieve. I wonder just how much of his "todays" he had been able to enjoy & how much he missed out on them because of his obsession with his "yesterdays". So, in that respect, the act of of the snow globe being broken signifies his ultimate respite from his own 'demons'; being finally free...Awwwwwww  :cry:

Human nature is so complex & multi-faceted that we always know far less about the other person (& sometimes even our own selves too) than what we imagine we do. There always is another surprise, another revelation, no matter how much we think we've got the other person 'figured out'. It's heart breaking that we are so busy with our lives that we are so ready to take everything at face value; so that it doesn't add to our own burdens & worries. But I don't think most people do it out of cruel, mean or unkind intents & spirits. For most of us, it's just an ingrained, unconscious habit. Thoughtless, yes, even inconsiderate yes, but not always evil. We all just happen to have our own demons to wrestle with & cherish, look forward to new 'avenues'/possibilities' for our own "escapades" too. I guess it wouldn't hurt us too much to try & be a little less selfish & self-absorbed. Our own personal universes may revolve around ourselves, but it courtesy of those 'others' around us that it keeps revolving at all. We should make time for celebrating the our differences, instead of merely focusing on & reveling in on our similarities (which does give us the sense of 'closure' that we all seek). Because those differences expand our mind, alter our thought processes & give room for change :)

MJ always spoke of his yearning for an average childhood that he was cheated of. And he made no secret of the fact that the reason he was driven to try so hard with everything that he did was because he simply just wanted to receive more love. Because he missed out on it growing up, when he most needed it. Yes, we were pretty enthusiastic with our "ooooohs & aaaaaaahs", but maybe he needed something more, something in addition, something different. How much of his true self did/does he want to share with us & how much of his life did/does he wish to keep private? We never really did know the man we claim to love so, did we? :( It took "the news" of 25 June 2009 for us to explore & to understand his true depths & potential...

I wish I knew what the significance of the snow globe breaking really means here...What does the "no trespassing" sign (shown both at the beginning & at the end) of the movie signify?...Just how long will the what really happened on 25.06.09 remain a mystery?...Is MJ going to remain (more or less) the enigma that he has always been?!?...Is the 'This Is It' movie meant to be his last, physical goodbye; the final curtain call?...What is our part & purpose in ALL THIS; how do we fit/figure into the "BIG picture" (as "BeLIEvers"/Messengers/"Soldiers"/"Moaners"/Seers/Investigators/Jurists/"Audience"/Applauders/Advocates for Truth&Change???)... :?:  :!:  :?:

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

paula-c

March 27, 2010, 08:45:24 PM
"Rosebud", that Word apparently meaningless, is transformed into a crystal ball and enclosing representation, with the children's House, with snow and the slopes of the mountain with the sledge that burns to conclude the representation, by way of further narrated and reconstructed testimony...

This word means a lot: is rescued posthumous Word memory well. It is, the display of paradise lost.

ZIsis and regarding your question if some day we will know that happened on 25/06/09, and that we are representing role in all this .. do not know, but one thing I am sure Michael's message is reaching its fans, not all, but many people who thought that he died, is thinking otherwise. ;)
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions