gwynnedTopic starter

FAME...and the Illusion
February 19, 2012, 09:56:34 AM
This is long and I'm only a half hour into it, but it sure has a Michael feel to it.  Note the glove and curtain at the outset and reference to the ILLUSION!

Whether he is or is not, this documentary put together 'in secret  ;D' is amazing.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GINAFELICIA

• Hoaxer
  • View Profile
  • Playing it safe is the riskiest choice.
Re: FAME...and the Illusion
February 19, 2012, 02:24:10 PM
I don't have time to watch it all now. At 03:33 looks like MJ from the back.
OK I've watched 10 minutes and so far I think it's a good analysis of the present reality.
"Consumer kids" doesn't sound right.
Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 02:34:03 PM by GINAFELICIA
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

melody

February 19, 2012, 03:51:31 PM
@1:13:13 when he mentioned the media's lack of morals, I couldn't help thinking, "everything I have watched up until now is a result of declining morality". That poor kid.

I do not envy toddlers growing up today; if they are anything like me they will be raised by the TV, the public school system, and long hours of mindless gaming. It wasn't until around last year when I started researching Laveyism that I realized my personal set of ethics—in my childhood—were Satanist ideals, down to a "t" (example: the impoverished people of the world should be left to die, death to the weak, more resources for the rest—really hateful ideals). How I came to have these ideals I do not know because between school and gaming I didn't have much time for anything else and I didn't really socialize outside of school, not even with my own parents. The way I heard my family interact with each other didn't help either; it wasn't violent, but it wasn't loving either. I was encouraged to lie every time I did socialize, about the stupidest things too. Probably why I became so cynical: I couldn't even trust my own family.

My friends and I were in conversation one day and, even though their family dynamics are drastically different from mine, we all agreed that we felt more allegiance to the school than to our own families. That's scary.

edit: just in case I didn't make my point clear enough (lol), the media was what kept us occupied and away from our families (for one friend it was following celebrity life, for me gaming, and for another she's a TV-show junkie) and the only real socializing we did was at school.  For me, the media was like a refuge, for them it was just a distraction, but it had the same effect.
Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 04:04:12 PM by melody
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

SimPattyK

• Registered users
  • Hoaxer
  • View Profile
  • MJ & ELVIS are ALIVE ~ TRUTH always prevails!
February 19, 2012, 04:17:10 PM
@gwynned thanks a lot for this link!! I will sure watch  it as soon as I can

Thank you all for your specifications that this "smells" like Michael!! ;)
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
MJ & ELVIS are ALIVE ~ You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

everlastinglove_MJ

February 19, 2012, 05:17:34 PM
Thank you for posting this link gwynned.

[DOCUMENTARY] Starsuckers is a feature documentary about the celebrity obsessed media, that uncovers the real reasons behind our addiction to fame and blows the lid on the corporations and individuals who profit from it.

Made completely independently over 2 years in secret, the film journeys through the dark underbelly of the modern media. Using a combination of never before seen footage, undercover reporting, stunts and animation, the film reveals the toxic effect the media is having on us all and especially our children.

Chris Atkins presents Starsuckers as a series of five lessons on fame in the modern world: how children are persuaded that fame is something they want, how television and the media reinforces the importance of celebrity and the efforts to attain it, how the mind and body reinforces our need to follow the activities of well-known people and strive to join their number, how the press became addicted to celebrity coverage, and how the art of promoting fame has led to celebrities and their handlers controlling the press instead of the press having say.

Along the way, Atkins demonstrates how celebrity news with no basis in fact gets into print, why newspapers will run press releases almost verbatim, how parents will eagerly sign away the image rights to their kids, how certain mass scale charity events end up helping the performers far more than the causes they designed to support, and how publicists keep accurate but unflattering stories out of the news.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

The older they get, the more difficult it is to protect your kids against the influence of fame promotion because of popular reality shows like SYTYCD, The Voice, Britain's Got Talent or America's Next Top Model. I noticed that with the help of twitter they HAVE TO watch these reality shows in order to be part of the group. Over-promotion causes idolization and lost of reality. I agree that over-promotion of fame can really be toxic eventually.

LOVE
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
It's all for L.O.V.E.

gwynnedTopic starter

February 19, 2012, 06:29:32 PM
One of the many interesting ideas presented in the film is the way that the media reinforces the illusion that 'anyone can be a millionaire.'   This fantasy provides relief from the gnawing boredom and poverty that many viewers live in and a moral 'free pass' for those of privilege who've managed to win at the game. 

Utterly despicable how people's desires to help in some way are deliberately thwarted by promoters and musicians getting rich off the proceeds and deflect attention away from an event that could REALLY make a difference.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

SimPattyK

• Registered users
  • Hoaxer
  • View Profile
  • MJ & ELVIS are ALIVE ~ TRUTH always prevails!
February 19, 2012, 09:31:24 PM
@gwynned: I just finished watching! it is great! thanks again for the link! i shared it , too!
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions