Snipes Turned Bodyguard For Terrified Jackson On Bad Video Set

MICHAEL JACKSON was so scared as he shot his BAD video in Harlem, New York, he held hands with co-star WESLEY SNIPES.

The Hollywood actor played a gang leader in the 16-minute music video, which was shot in 1987, and he recalls the King Of Pop was terrified of the rough neighbourhood - and so enlisted Snipes to help him feel safe.

The actor tells America's GQ magazine, "I think Michael was a little scared being in Harlem. We were holding hands walking down the street. I was like, 'Hang in there, Michael. Don't worry about it, brother - I got you.' I went from being the actor in the scene with him to bodyguarding him.

"The people were calling out his name - some favourably, some not so favourably. Some were happy that Michael was in the hood; some were like, 'Yo, Mike, get the f**k out of the hood. We're not feeling you, man. F**king Michael Jackson.'

"(They were) yelling it across the street. And he's hearing this. They felt detached from Michael. They felt as though Michael had moved (on) from the black community.

"He turned to me, and he says, 'Are you scared?' I was like, 'What? Scared of what?' 'You know, the people and everything. Aren't you scared of them?' I was like, 'Nah, Mike. I grew up here. This is all good. Are you scared?' He was like, 'Yeah, a little.'"

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Why couldn't some of them just let him make his video in peace. It was just pure ignorance to yell obscenties and to scare him on his own video set. If they didn't want to see it they didn't have to stand out there and watch him nobody held a gun to their heads. They should have stayed home. It bothers me when people say things like Michael lost touch with the black community I've never felt that way.
Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 02:04:58 PM by AvaMarie
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

It makes me so angry hearing the kind of s**t MJ has to go through! Can't they just leave him be?
@AvaMarie: Agree with you 100%! It's not like they were forced to stand and watch him make it. If they didn't like him they could have just left him alone.
I hate hearing that Michael was scared too, but I would have happily held his hand also! :lol:
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

mumof3

The more I read and learn the more you see that michael had so much to deal with and must have spent so much of his time scared. As he is a gentle soul miss understood bless him
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

I cant help but think that walking down the "mean streets" of Harlem, hand in hand with Wesley Snipes did not do Michael any favours...   :lol:
Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 03:58:26 PM by DancingTheDream
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

the arabian nights

well i am sure that we have all felt scared at times

- i dont know why wes brings this up now
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Check this link out:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Snipes talks further about MJ.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Here's an interesting contrast to the OP's article that was posted today...

New Spike Lee Joint: “Brooklyn Loves Michael Jackson”

Spike Lee is right now finishing up shooting “Inside Man 2? with Denzel Washington and Clive Owen.

But come this summer, residents of Brooklyn may find Lee’s crew setting up shop in their neighborhoods.

The word is that Spike will roll into one of his own films, tentatively titled “Brooklyn Loves Michael Jackson.”

I’m told he’s already lined up Samuel L. Jackson, John Turturro, Julianne Moore, and Rosie Perez.

“It’s a huge cast,” says a source, “and it’s all about the gentrification of Brooklyn.”

More names are soon to be announced, with more Lee regulars expected to be included. Some of them could be Anthony Mackie and Kerry Washington, who were in a lesser Lee film called “She Hate Me.” They deserve a second chance!

About that title: Spike did put on a Michael Jackson birthday extravaganza last summer in Prospect Park called “Brooklyn Loves Michael Jackson.” He may be using this title temporarily. We’ll see how it all plays out.

If this film is anything like “Crooklyn,” a Lee favorite of mine, that means a lot of good music. Maybe Spike should call it “Don’t Stop Til You Get Enough.”

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."  Margaret Mead