No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Michael has done me the best gift I could do ...
THE SOUNDTRACK OF MY LIFE
I love you more

somekindofsign

Dubious Harvest
Reform needed for law that allows coroner to remove corneas

November 04, 1997

Is the Los Angeles County coroner's office taking undue advantage of a state law that allows it to remove eye tissue from autopsy subjects without seeking permission from their families? Ask Yolanda Aguirre of El Monte or Frank Casias of Canoga Park. Each lost a grown child but did not know that the coroner had removed the corneas until they were contacted by The Times. They say that given the choice they would have refused.

Dubious Harvest
Reform needed for law that allows coroner to remove corneas
November 04, 1997Is the Los Angeles County coroner's office taking undue advantage of a state law that allows it to remove eye tissue from autopsy subjects without seeking permission from their families? Ask Yolanda Aguirre of El Monte or Frank Casias of Canoga Park. Each lost a grown child but did not know that the coroner had removed the corneas until they were contacted by The Times. They say that given the choice they would have refused.

Ads by Google
Grief Education & Support
Help with issues of Dying, Death and Grief! You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Medical experts maintain that families should be informed and allowed to make the decision, despite the law. Coroners in Orange County, San Francisco and other parts of the state do not allow cornea removals without family approval. Los Angeles County announced Monday it will begin to follow the same practice. But the action came only after a Times investigation raised disturbing ethical questions about the coroner's unusually abundant harvest of corneas for the Doheny Eye & Tissue Transplant Bank.

Initially the coroner and Doheny sought cover under the letter of the law. A little-known 1983 state law allows coroners to remove the eye tissue from bodies that are to be autopsied if there are no known objections from the next of kin. The aim 14 years ago was to relieve a shortage of the valuable but fragile eye tissue, which disintegrates within 24 hours of death. Thus coroners were not specifically required to seek family permission under the law.

But questionable procedures involving the Los Angeles coroner's office and the Doheny eye bank stemmed not from need but from greed. The coroner provided a cheap supply--more than 1,000 corneas annually that were removed without family authorization, at least half of all of Doheny's requirements. The eye bank paid the county $215 to $335 for a pair of corneas, then charged a processing fee of $3,400 to transplant institutions.

Employees at both the coroner's office and Doheny said their supervisors discouraged them from seeking family approval, even when it was no problem, since the corneas could be removed under the so-called "Coroners Law" anyway.

Moreover, some corneas were removed from bodies of recently incarcerated individuals or drug users, contrary to federal health safety guidelines. On occasion eye tissue was removed from bodies even when no autopsy was performed.

It took an expose to force the coroner to stop ignoring families' wishes, an unconscionable disregard of human values. The state law should be debated and, we think, dumped.

You keep digging Minamai!  ;)
But tell me if I understand. You are stressing here the corruption of LAPD itself?
Or do you think there´s corruption around LAPD autopsies?
Or I missed something else?
Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wow! thanks for sharing that! so who's to say if they even ''autopsied'' Michael's body or if He was even at The Coroners at all ;)
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

despues de esto he pensado que pagando una buena cantidad de dinero puedo obtener un informe de autopsia a la carta por qué no??
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Michael has done me the best gift I could do ...
THE SOUNDTRACK OF MY LIFE
I love you more

somekindofsign

ok, so you think that this shows that it´s easy paying to get a fake autopsy,
and that would support the hoax.
At the same time, if all of this ends up in hoax and bam,
this is one of the things that will be taken into light.
This is really interesting Minamai.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Quote from: "somekindofsign"
ok, so you think that this shows that it´s easy paying to get a fake autopsy,
and that would support the hoax.
At the same time, if all of this ends up in hoax and bam,
this is one of the things that will be taken into light.
This is really interesting Minamai.
Yep, who's to say if Michael didn't just pay for a fake autopsy report(s).
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions