this1crazygirl

Re: NEW Record Deal for Michael
March 16, 2010, 12:26:22 AM
that's true... but hey the thought is entertaining for a while and we aren't hurting anybody

Quote from: "GirlSaturday"
I may be one of these posters that you're referring to. I'm cool with it and I can laugh at myself.  :lol:  8-)

I am one who must ask and question... again. My worst nightmare is to wake up one day years from now and find myself sitting in the same predicament as those Elvis Presley fans. The thought of it just sends chills and I don't mean the good ones either.  :lol:  ;)

Quote from: "lovemj4everandever"
Sometimes I can't believe some of these posters are actually on a HOAX site!   :lol:  :lol:

The DEAL was made with MICHAEL!  Michael is ALIVE!  He signed the deal in 2008!  It was 2008 when he contacted Frank DiLeo about making a movie...the kind of movie that had never been done before!  Then he announced a concert tour which he had no time to put together and for dates that were impossible to play because of previously planned and sold tickets by other artists!  

The promo picture released in May of 2009 was for a MOVIE, not a concert!  You know, the picture of Michael standing with Kenny Ortega behind the MOVIE CAMERA?????

Of course, the story says the deal was made with the executors...he is suppose to still be dead, so shhhhh......   :lol:  :lol:  

I'm not trying to be over-bearing but puhhhh....llllease!  This is a HOAX SITE!  We are here because WE KNOW MICHAEL IS ALIVE AND HE IS THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN! And just as Kenny promised, piece by piece by piece, MJ is being revealed!  The articles say it was a 7 year contract.  A 7 year contract.  And that it had a two year extension taking it to 2017...that means it was signed in 2008!  These are the last two lines from the article....

And we're told Sony gets a two-year extension for the right to distribute the Michael Jackson catalog -- to 2017.  
 :mrgreen:
Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

March 16, 2010, 12:28:58 AM
Quote from: "~Souza~"
OK, thought about it some more. The deal is not for games, merchandise etc. and one article states:

In striking the deal, Sony is betting that the appetite for Mr. Jackson's music will prove more than just a spike generated by his unexpected death and the ensuing round-the-clock coverage. A record contract struck in the early 1980s gave Mr. Jackson ownership of his recordings. Sony had the right to distribute those recordings through 2015. The new deal extends that right until 2017, and adds the rights to material recorded since then.

So if I am correct, Sony pays 250 million bucks for songs they already could release the upcoming 5 years.... Meaning they will pay 250 million to have those rights for only 2 more years?

So they will pay 125 million for 2016 and 125 million for 2017. And they think they will make profit on that by then? I don't think so and I also don't think Sony is that stupid.

Something is off. This sounds like a bogus deal to me, if it is really just for the music.

Thoughts anyone?
What would be the point of bogus?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

~Souza~

March 16, 2010, 12:30:48 AM
Quote from: "PinkTopaz"
OK, thought about it some more. The deal is not for games, merchandise etc. and one article states:

In striking the deal, Sony is betting that the appetite for Mr. Jackson's music will prove more than just a spike generated by his unexpected death and the ensuing round-the-clock coverage. A record contract struck in the early 1980s gave Mr. Jackson ownership of his recordings. Sony had the right to distribute those recordings through 2015. The new deal extends that right until 2017, and adds the rights to material recorded since then.

So if I am correct, Sony pays 250 million bucks for songs they already could release the upcoming 5 years.... Meaning they will pay 250 million to have those rights for only 2 more years?

So they will pay 125 million for 2016 and 125 million for 2017. And they think they will make profit on that by then? I don't think so and I also don't think Sony is that stupid.

Something is off. This sounds like a bogus deal to me, if it is really just for the music.

Thoughts anyone?
What would be the point of bogus?

For us to crack our heads until we get it? idk :?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

March 16, 2010, 12:32:26 AM

Thoughts anyone?

My thoughts would be that it included the motion picture This Is It, the 2-disc CD for "This Is It", the DVD for "This Is It", and probably a tour of some kind or residency in Las Vegas, a globally broadcast TV special, three new albums, a compilation album of the three new albums, and maybe another Motion Picture called the "Death of Me!"  That would make 10 projects!   :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:
Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 12:38:26 AM by lovemj4everandever
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

March 16, 2010, 12:32:55 AM
Hey I  know. That's why I'm one of the first to  laugh about all of this madness.  :lol:  :lol:

Quote from: "this1crazygirl"
that's true... but hey the thought is entertaining for a while and we aren't hurting anybody

I may be one of these posters that you're referring to. I'm cool with it and I can laugh at myself.  :lol:  8-)

I am one who must ask and question... again. My worst nightmare is to wake up one day years from now and find myself sitting in the same predicament as those Elvis Presley fans. The thought of it just sends chills and I don't mean the good ones either.  :lol:  ;)

Sometimes I can't believe some of these posters are actually on a HOAX site!   :lol:  :lol:

The DEAL was made with MICHAEL!  Michael is ALIVE!  He signed the deal in 2008!  It was 2008 when he contacted Frank DiLeo about making a movie...the kind of movie that had never been done before!  Then he announced a concert tour which he had no time to put together and for dates that were impossible to play because of previously planned and sold tickets by other artists!  

The promo picture released in May of 2009 was for a MOVIE, not a concert!  You know, the picture of Michael standing with Kenny Ortega behind the MOVIE CAMERA?????

Of course, the story says the deal was made with the executors...he is suppose to still be dead, so shhhhh......   :lol:  :lol:  

I'm not trying to be over-bearing but puhhhh....llllease!  This is a HOAX SITE!  We are here because WE KNOW MICHAEL IS ALIVE AND HE IS THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN! And just as Kenny promised, piece by piece by piece, MJ is being revealed!  The articles say it was a 7 year contract.  A 7 year contract.  And that it had a two year extension taking it to 2017...that means it was signed in 2008!  These are the last two lines from the article....

And we're told Sony gets a two-year extension for the right to distribute the Michael Jackson catalog -- to 2017.  
 :mrgreen:
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

March 16, 2010, 12:39:01 AM
Oh see you just didn't come up with that plan. You have been mapping that little lineup for a while.  :lol:

Thoughts anyone?

My thoughts would be that it included the motion picture This Is It, the 2-disc CD for "This Is It", the DVD for "This Is It", and probably a tour of some kind or residency in Las Vegas, a globally broadcast TV special, three new albums, a compilation of some sort, and maybe another Motion Picture called the "Death of Me!"  That would make 10 projects!   :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

~Souza~

March 16, 2010, 12:39:38 AM
The advances being paid by Sony are to be offset by sales of albums as well as revenue generated by licensing Mr. Jackson's music for uses like videogames, movies and theatrical performances. But unlike the megadeals struck in recent years by concert promoter Live Nation Entertainment Inc. with pop stars Jay-Z and Madonna, the Jackson deal doesn't give Sony income from other parts of the late singer's business, such as merchandise sales or fees for licensing his name and likeness.

This means (if I am correct) that they can only use the music they could already use until 2015, right? (my head hurts)...
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

~Souza~

March 16, 2010, 01:17:14 AM
And what is this: The new deal extends that right until 2017, and adds the rights to material recorded since then.    Since when? 2009, 2015, 2017? He's 'dead' .... record what and how?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

March 16, 2010, 01:26:54 AM
And what is this: The new deal extends that right until 2017, and adds the rights to material recorded since then.    Since when? 2009, 2015, 2017? He's 'dead' .... record what and how?

A record contract struck in the early 1980s gave Mr. Jackson ownership of his recordings. Sony had the right to distribute those recordings through 2015. The new deal extends that right until 2017, and adds the rights to material recorded since then.

maybe recordings since the 80's?  I dont get it. so sony had the right to distribute those recordings until 2015, and with the extension they have the right to distribute those recordings until 2017? material recorded since when? 2017? the only thing I  could think of  is since the 80's...but that would mean before the extension they only had rights to material before the early 80's which makes no sense!
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

March 16, 2010, 01:30:54 AM
If... he were "dead" they could pull that off. Some of his songs are incomplete, he has acknowledged this. Take a voice track from here...add some music from over there. A talented producer and engineer could bring it  all together for a new recording. Think about duets between live and dead singers. Modern technology... :lol:

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

March 16, 2010, 02:35:17 AM
credit Wall Street Journal. I didn't want to start a new thread even though this gives more detail for the record deal.

By ETHAN SMITH
Months after his death, Michael Jackson set a music-industry record, thanks to a deal between his estate and Sony Corp. valued at as much as $250 million, according to people familiar with the terms.

.The deal—touted by both Sony and Mr. Jackson's estate as the most lucrative recording contract ever— guarantees the estate at least $200 million. With 10 albums over seven years, the deal will involve a mix of previously unreleased songs and new packages of familiar ones.

The dollar amount is especially striking against the backdrop of the music industry as a whole, in which U.S. album sales have plunged 52% in a decade. Superstar deals worth tens of millions of dollars per album were rare even at the peak of the CD-sales boom in the late 1990s. Yet it also underscores that the biggest acts are becoming even more essential to record labels, as individual fans purchase fewer albums each year.

Sony has sold an estimated 31 million Jackson albums since his death.
.Since Mr. Jackson's death on June 25, Sony has sold an estimated 31 million of his albums globally. By the first anniversary of his death, his estate expects to have earned $250 million from sales of music, merchandise and tickets to the posthumous concert film "This Is It."
The advances being paid by Sony are to be offset by sales of albums as well as revenue generated by licensing Mr. Jackson's music for uses like videogames, movies and theatrical performances. But unlike the megadeals struck in recent years by concert promoter Live Nation Entertainment Inc. with pop stars Jay-Z and Madonna, the Jackson deal doesn't give Sony income from other parts of the late singer's business, such as merchandise sales or fees for licensing his name and likeness.

In an interview, Rob Stringer, chairman of Sony Music Entertainment's Columbia/Epic Label Group, said that his company was confident it would more than recoup its hefty investment, which he characterized as more than just a record deal.

"We see it as a partnership," Mr. Stringer said.

The deal should give Mr. Jackson's heirs plenty of breathing room with respect to the crushing debt load he had built up in his final years. With his album sales dwindling and concert touring ground to a halt, Mr. Jackson borrowed heavily to finance his lavish lifestyle.

.The estate is likely to pay off about $125 million in debt by the end of this year, including $35 million owed to AEG Live, the promoter that was to stage a series of concerts by Mr. Jackson in London. The estate is likely to refinance another $325 million backed by Mr. Jackson's two biggest assets: Sony/ATV Music Publishing, his venture with Sony that owns copyrights to 251 Beatles songs; and his 2,600-acre Neverland Valley Ranch outside Santa Barbara, Calif.

A $300 million loan backed by Sony/ATV and held by Barclays PLC matures at the end of the year, and before Mr. Jackson's death it loomed as a major financial challenge.

The new deal, like the one from the 1980s, was negotiated by John Branca, Mr. Jackson's long-time lawyer and now an administrator of the estate.

The deal retroactively covers the soundtrack album to "This Is It," plus a range of other releases, some of which have been mapped out, with others to be determined later. An album of previously unreleased songs is likely to hit stores before the end of this year, and another collection is due out later. The deal is also likely to cover expanded reissues of Mr. Jackson's albums "Off the Wall" and "Bad," as well as collections of remixes. A DVD of all of Mr. Jackson's music videos is likely to be created at some point.

Speculation has circulated that Cirque du Soleil would create a Las Vegas show based on Mr. Jackson's music, as it already has done with Beatles' music. If it does, a soundtrack album of some kind would likely be part of the deal.

The estate could probably wipe out the debts entirely by selling its half of Sony/ATV, although such a drastic step is viewed as unlikely now that Mr. Jackson's posthumous business is generating so much cash.

Mr. Jackson acquired ATV for $47.5 million in 1985. Sony in 1995 paid $150 million to become a 50% partner in the venture. Mr. Jackson's half is now valued at at least $1 billion.

Why would Jackson estate pay AEG 35 million $. They said the cost of preparing for This is it tour was 20 million $. And Sony already paid for the rights 50 mill $ to AEG. Am I missing something?
This is so funny, how we are taking care of Mj's finances :lol:

So, Sony paid 50 mil.$ for the rights for This is it and by the aniversary they expect to make 250 mil $. Looks like a good deal to me, or is it from all the previous albums as well.

I read that Mj sill owns Neverland, as I understood, he owns Capital Colony money for helping him to keep Neverland and after that they made a deal about touring again to pay off the debt.
What is happening in Neverland? Who is in charge there?

Follow the money, the man said.

Head hurts
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kuki

March 16, 2010, 03:03:50 AM
It's even in the Dutch news....
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Proud member of Michael\'s army of L.O.V.E.!

The Truth Isn\'t Waiting To Be Found. It\'s Waiting To Be BeLIEved.

March 16, 2010, 03:14:29 AM
Edit
Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 08:29:27 AM by White_Orchid
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

March 16, 2010, 03:18:09 AM
Michael Jackson Deal: $225 Mil Just for Records, Nothing Else
By: Roger Friedman   //   Monday March 15, 2010

The new Sony deal for Michael Jackson’s new records is actually worth $225 million according to my sources.

That means that Jackson attorneys John Branca (a co-executor) and Joel Katz, with the help of co-executor John McClain, have cut for Michael Jackson’s estate the richest deal ever in recording business history. It far exceeds the deal Sony made with Bruce Springsteen a couple of years ago for $100 million.

The deal is only for records for the next seven years. It already includes the soundtrack to “This Is It.” Come November, the first scheduled release will be a collection of unreleased tracks perhaps including a duet with Paul Anka and one or two songs left off of “Thriller.”

Two more releases will be anniversary editions of “Bad” and “Off the Wall” which will include extra and remixed tracks a la the 25th anniversary edition of “Thriller.” McClain and hopefully Jackson’s longtime manager Frank DiLeo will be involved with those.

There are also enough tracks for at least one or two live albums from various Jackson tours.

The Sony deal does not include anything to do with Michael’s publishing, live shows still to be arranged, or merchandise. A show with Cirque du Soleil, as I’ve written before, will be announced shortly for Las Vegas.

But all of that is separate. What happened: Since his death Jackson has sold 31 million albums worldwide. Sony, which had parted company with Jackson before his death, wants to remain in the Jackson business. With this contract, they will be in business with his estate for at least seven more years.

Insiders say that Jackson’s estate will retain the rights to all the master recordings, too. This is highly unusual. Also: Branca, Katz and McClain also, apparently, renegotiated Jackson’s royalty rate with Sony for this deal. “It’s the highest rate anyone’s ever had,” says a source.

At this rate, the prediction is that Jackson’s huge debt leveraged against his own MiJac Music Publishing will be paid off in a short time. His even bigger debt, secured against his one half interest in the Sony/ATV Music Publishing company–also known as the Beatles catalog–will be refinanced and reduced. When Jackson died, sources point out, he was $500 in debt.His estate is now solvent, and his children are well taken care for their lives.

It is the sad irony of the Michael Jackson story that for years he suffered financially, and drifted in his career. Since his death. his career and finances have flourished.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

March 16, 2010, 03:47:53 AM
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Computer games or multimedia platforms ?  :?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions