mattie

Re: billboard awards
May 24, 2014, 05:24:45 AM
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The Secret Of Michael Jackson's Illusion

THE GRAND ILLUSION
Audiences at Sunday's Billboard Music Awards ceremony were treated to a performance of Slave to the Rhythm by none other than the late Michael Jackson himself. Though widely mistaken as a hologram, the performance by Michael Jackson was the result of computer-generated images, live performers and a touch of illusion known as Pepper's ghost. Here's how producers mixed fantasy with reality:

SAN RAFAEL, Calif. — Michael Jackson came back to life last Sunday on the Billboard Music Awards telecast. And the team that orchestrated his high-tech resurrection is beaming through their fatigue.

"It scared us to death to create an image that had to look, feel and function for four minutes like an entertainer everyone in the world knows," says Frank Patterson, CEO of digital effects firm Pulse Evolution. "You have to see his eyes and moves and believe it was him."

After a week of social and online media speculation about how the effect was pulled off, Florida-based Pulse exclusively invited USA TODAY to its Bay Area studios, located in the former headquarters of George Lucas' Industrial Light & Magic, to explain the details behind Jackson's performance of Slave to the Rhythm, off the late singer's new album, Xscape.

But first, a plea. "It's not a hologram," says Pulse Executive Chairman John Textor, sitting in the room where the Jackson effect was crafted with Patterson and visual effects supervisor Stephen Rosenbaum, who worked on Avatar.

So what is it? "An illusion," Patterson says.

Indeed, Pulse refined a 19th-century magician's technique called Pepper's ghost, which Textor — then leading Oscar-winning graphics company Digital Domain — also employed to summon the ghost of slain rapper Tupac Shakur at the Coachella music festival in 2012. The effect involves projecting an image on glass or plastic at a 45-degree angle, which brings that image into the viewer's field of view.

But the Jackson illusion was infinitely more complex to pull off. "Tupac had no hair, and just stood there, where Michael had to be all over the place," Patterson says.

There is also a video

Link to article: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Thank you likemike !

I wonder why the audience stands at the end with the back to the stage and are clapping to the other side ? I also noticed that much ppl of the audience wear usual clothes, not very fine Dress.....wasn't it a great Event where you dressed better....you don't go to the gym....

Lokk at the beginning....ppl direct in front of the dancers with caps on......and at the end you see the stage in the back and the audience with the back to the stage is clapping to the other side...

An again....where is the Family ? No comments ?

There suppose to be a big screen were people were looking at.
Not everybody had good sight at the stage.
I dont see the people with caps? looke again :icon_e_confused:
Family puzzles  me also,why no comment at all??
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

suspicious mindTopic starter

May 24, 2014, 11:25:19 AM
ummm know what. i would also expect some sort of opinion on this from oh say karen and kenny and some of the other ummm will call them regulars of michael's performance past. and even more so why does no one seem to be pursuing them for comment?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be shrewd as serpents and as innocent as doves."  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Why not just tell people I'm an alien from Mars? Tell them I eat live chickens and do a voodoo dance at midnight. They'll believe anything you say, because you're a reporter. But if I, Michael Jackson, were to say, "I'm an alien from Mars and I eat live chickens and do a voodoo dance at midnight," people would say, "Oh, man, that Michael Jackson is nuts. He's cracked up. You can't believe a single word that comes out of his mouth."

May 24, 2014, 11:36:13 AM
Welcome back "Greenman"    :michael_jackson-1135:

he he did come to mind while watching this and seeing the how it was mades.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be shrewd as serpents and as innocent as doves."  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Why not just tell people I'm an alien from Mars? Tell them I eat live chickens and do a voodoo dance at midnight. They'll believe anything you say, because you're a reporter. But if I, Michael Jackson, were to say, "I'm an alien from Mars and I eat live chickens and do a voodoo dance at midnight," people would say, "Oh, man, that Michael Jackson is nuts. He's cracked up. You can't believe a single word that comes out of his mouth."

May 24, 2014, 11:46:51 AM
just watched the performance several more times.  i have to admit the more i watch, the more i appreciate it.  i am still seeing 2 different faces, imo.  the dance routines are simple and not as smooth & fluent as that of a younger person,  ( u would think if it's not real make it as best u can)  i thought the moonwalk was messed up but it seems like it's changed.  the beat seems 1, 2, 1, 1-2, 1, 1-2.  but, the movement with the rhythm is on point, but stiffer ( i know what that's like  :icon_rolleyes:)  i love that with mj, his being in sync with every bing, bam & boom of a beat.  i have to admit at the end when he sat down and propped his leg across the arm of the chair, i did FEEL something.  so my analysis right or wrong crazy or not,  :Pulling_hair: i think at least some (if not all) of it was him. older & stiffer with some kind of morphing face. some of his movements reminded me of sofurgofromashes.

I agree.  I wasn't overwhelmed by the song at first, but after repeated listenings,  I'm a slave to it!  As for the beat, I am not a musician so I speak with very limited understanding, but I found the beat in his new songs to be more jazzy, slightly asynchronous and often a bit surprising.  But back to the topic at hand.  I know what you mean by FEELING something.  Seeing is NOT beLIEving because it's our feelings that will lead us to the truth.  And also when he sat down in the chair, I have to say I sensed a 'Fuck you!' attitude on his part.  It was a turf war on a global scale.  I won.   :michael_jackson-1135:

That vid was great, BTW!  Wonder why they mentioned Avatar and Benjamin Button?  A friend watching the vid with me last night remarked that he looked younger.  IS he younger?  All that talk way back about the fountain of youth.

I didn't personally think his dancing looked stiff, but again I'm no expert.  Did look like sofurgofromashes.  The movements were very controlled and his moonwalk serious, almost as though he was stomping out something.  Everyone was expecting something spectacular and convincing.  I was waiting for those phone calls from skeptical friends apologizing for calling me a crackpot. 

So what was the point?  What exactly did we see?  It was not a song and dance performance, 'Michael performing the songs his fans want him to sing.'   ;D  The King of Pop is dead, after all. 

BUT the King himself is not dead and a King, after all, doesn't usually perform, but has others perform for him!  (Remember the Time comes to mind)  But how would we know it was him if he didn't 'perform' in some way? Seems to me he found a way to perform but not perform.  It felt a bit Shakespearean to me, a television event that will change history.  The return of the King. 

Funny though that they made a point of saying that only Jackie was there!  Wasn't it Jackie who said he would know his brother anywhere by his movements?  And didn't he say he felt his presence?  Just sayin..

isn't jackie actually still in the business in some way that is more leaning toward production? seems i remember some mention of maybe even some connection that he actually had to the michael album or did they just discuss comment from him? so much has transpired over the last almost five years.  :icon_pale:
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

May 24, 2014, 03:15:35 PM
The Secret Of Michael Jackson's Illusion

THE GRAND ILLUSION
Audiences at Sunday's Billboard Music Awards ceremony were treated to a performance of Slave to the Rhythm by none other than the late Michael Jackson himself. Though widely mistaken as a hologram, the performance by Michael Jackson was the result of computer-generated images, live performers and a touch of illusion known as Pepper's ghost. Here's how producers mixed fantasy with reality:

SAN RAFAEL, Calif. — Michael Jackson came back to life last Sunday on the Billboard Music Awards telecast. And the team that orchestrated his high-tech resurrection is beaming through their fatigue.

"It scared us to death to create an image that had to look, feel and function for four minutes like an entertainer everyone in the world knows," says Frank Patterson, CEO of digital effects firm Pulse Evolution. "You have to see his eyes and moves and believe it was him."

After a week of social and online media speculation about how the effect was pulled off, Florida-based Pulse exclusively invited USA TODAY to its Bay Area studios, located in the former headquarters of George Lucas' Industrial Light & Magic, to explain the details behind Jackson's performance of Slave to the Rhythm, off the late singer's new album, Xscape.

But first, a plea. "It's not a hologram," says Pulse Executive Chairman John Textor, sitting in the room where the Jackson effect was crafted with Patterson and visual effects supervisor Stephen Rosenbaum, who worked on Avatar.

So what is it? "An illusion," Patterson says.

Indeed, Pulse refined a 19th-century magician's technique called Pepper's ghost, which Textor — then leading Oscar-winning graphics company Digital Domain — also employed to summon the ghost of slain rapper Tupac Shakur at the Coachella music festival in 2012. The effect involves projecting an image on glass or plastic at a 45-degree angle, which brings that image into the viewer's field of view.

But the Jackson illusion was infinitely more complex to pull off. "Tupac had no hair, and just stood there, where Michael had to be all over the place," Patterson says.

There is also a video

Link to article: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Thank you likemike !

I wonder why the audience stands at the end with the back to the stage and are clapping to the other side ? I also noticed that much ppl of the audience wear usual clothes, not very fine Dress.....wasn't it a great Event where you dressed better....you don't go to the gym....

Lokk at the beginning....ppl direct in front of the dancers with caps on......and at the end you see the stage in the back and the audience with the back to the stage is clapping to the other side...

An again....where is the Family ? No comments ?

There suppose to be a big screen were people were looking at.
Not everybody had good sight at the stage.
I dont see the people with caps? looke again :icon_e_confused:
Family puzzles  me also,why no comment at all??

Family,and especially Joseph "gunman" Jackson needs NO COMMENT lol  :judge-smiley: :icon_rolleyes:........his presence it's just enough  :thjajaja121: !!!

Billboard awards,glamour,limousine.......what a waste of time and money   :Crash: .......meantime millions of kids have nothing to eat and access to medicine  :icon_evil:  :icon_pale: ,
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

May 24, 2014, 03:22:28 PM
just watched the performance several more times.  i have to admit the more i watch, the more i appreciate it.  i am still seeing 2 different faces, imo.  the dance routines are simple and not as smooth & fluent as that of a younger person,  ( u would think if it's not real make it as best u can)  i thought the moonwalk was messed up but it seems like it's changed.  the beat seems 1, 2, 1, 1-2, 1, 1-2.  but, the movement with the rhythm is on point, but stiffer ( i know what that's like  :icon_rolleyes:)  i love that with mj, his being in sync with every bing, bam & boom of a beat.  i have to admit at the end when he sat down and propped his leg across the arm of the chair, i did FEEL something.  so my analysis right or wrong crazy or not,  :Pulling_hair: i think at least some (if not all) of it was him. older & stiffer with some kind of morphing face. some of his movements reminded me of sofurgofromashes.

I agree.  I wasn't overwhelmed by the song at first, but after repeated listenings,  I'm a slave to it!  As for the beat, I am not a musician so I speak with very limited understanding, but I found the beat in his new songs to be more jazzy, slightly asynchronous and often a bit surprising.  But back to the topic at hand.  I know what you mean by FEELING something.  Seeing is NOT beLIEving because it's our feelings that will lead us to the truth.  And also when he sat down in the chair, I have to say I sensed a 'Fuck you!' attitude on his part.  It was a turf war on a global scale.  I won.   :michael_jackson-1135:

That vid was great, BTW!  Wonder why they mentioned Avatar and Benjamin Button?  A friend watching the vid with me last night remarked that he looked younger.  IS he younger?  All that talk way back about the fountain of youth.

I didn't personally think his dancing looked stiff, but again I'm no expert.  Did look like sofurgofromashes.  The movements were very controlled and his moonwalk serious, almost as though he was stomping out something.  Everyone was expecting something spectacular and convincing.  I was waiting for those phone calls from skeptical friends apologizing for calling me a crackpot. 

So what was the point?  What exactly did we see?  It was not a song and dance performance, 'Michael performing the songs his fans want him to sing.'   ;D  The King of Pop is dead, after all. 

BUT the King himself is not dead and a King, after all, doesn't usually perform, but has others perform for him!  (Remember the Time comes to mind)  But how would we know it was him if he didn't 'perform' in some way? Seems to me he found a way to perform but not perform.  It felt a bit Shakespearean to me, a television event that will change history.  The return of the King. 

Funny though that they made a point of saying that only Jackie was there!  Wasn't it Jackie who said he would know his brother anywhere by his movements?  And didn't he say he felt his presence?  Just sayin..

isn't jackie actually still in the business in some way that is more leaning toward production? seems i remember some mention of maybe even some connection that he actually had to the michael album or did they just discuss comment from him? so much has transpired over the last almost five years.  :icon_pale:

Sigmund Esco "Jackie" Jackson "speaks" because he works for "SONY corp."......and he has to feed those twins of his lol  :LolLolLolLol:.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

May 24, 2014, 04:27:53 PM
Hello everyone

Wow, I found it amazing. So many things going throw my head.
In the beginning dramatic music. I can hear a helicopter in the background. Spotlights going thru the crowd, so
as they are searching for someone. MJ Army (of Love) in front of the curtain. With the Lights at the helm they
will bring Light to the dark, with the cameras they will capture every move. Michael safe and hidden behind
the curtain. The curtain goes up. We see "Michael". The Lady in gold starts to dance and lift her mask. A fool jumps in the picture. Michael goes downstairs. With one handgesture the castle falls to ashes.Michael is dancing with the checkfigures. The checkfigures leaving the stage. Out of nowhere for dark mens
appear. The dancing they do  reminds me rather of some sort nina fightpositions than as a dance routine.
As the lady appears the mens dissappear. The lady is wearing a red and golden costume. Red the colour of
passion and love. Gold the colour for royality. Her face is hidden behind a mask. (Maybe she represents the Fans?) She is dancing than leaving the stage. At 2.37 I hear a telefon ring in the background.
Michael is dancing in a bright light in the round, behind him fireworks. Dancing with the checkfigures again. Castle is back.A Angel crosses twice the Sence.

Now I come to my second point. I never believed that Front or TS/Ts_comments is Michael, but with
"BACK" or "SOTT" (sitting on the toilett) yep that is another story.

Here is a poem SOTT did write on 11 November 2002

Long time no update?
It has been a long time my friends
But the time has been well spent
Just like I promised you.
Today I write to you from France, a little something new
One of my final riddles, I bring to you
The time is near, so take your seat
The curtains are about to draw
In England, France and Germany
The discussions are now complete
Like my momma told me, evil will subside
Darkest moments will pass when heaven comes alive
Heaven can no longer wait, for it has arrived
The angels have arrived
In secrets only fat friends could trust, the man vowed an angel came to me
In decades that were ever so just, lies were said to become the truth
Never did I realize, the angels would arrive so soon
A year has passed, longer have become the days
But open cells have shed light in darkened hallways
That which burns inside the heart, drives the hand
They said guilty feet would never dance again
Correlations so correct, errors in allocation so grand
Although this dance is about to end, another is about to begin
For like the man told you, the dance is eternal.
Guilty suits only now understand,
That guilty hands can never clasp golden sands
The dance is eternal.
Do you understand? There is still fire inside the man
Burning castles have come down
Look inside, a man is standing there
Strangers will soon become friends
Shadows of darkened cells are to reveal
Empty closets, dangling chimes, a black knight
A man dancing in a brightened light
He is invincible, but do you recognize his face?
Perhaps even you have been fooled.
For your hands contain falsities.
Walk with him and just try to touch his hand
Don’t ask any questions and don’t try to understand
For those who believe, all will be seen
The curtain is about to draw
So please take your seat
The man that you are looking for, you will find him there
In the ashes
For here lies the promised plan
The fever that burns inside the man
He is ready to dance, on burned floors, in the round
The man will dance the eternal dance,
Although you may not recognize him this time
But his clothes are enough, his movements you can trust
The man under the hat, who will never reveal himself
Will dance to make you believe, that once again, he is real.
Remember, what I have told you.
The cell is open.
The angels have arrived.
The show is about to begin.
Trust in me,
France, Germany and the UK are done.
Just like I promised you.

Either I am complety crazy and you can put me in a straightjacket and bring me direct to the nutshouse, because to me this poem has a lot of the things in we did see in the performance.

Okay Michael you are the winner and I am checkmate. :icon_lol: The Album Xscape is No. 1 in France and the
UK, in Germany it is No. 2. Source: Wikipedia.

Much Peace and Love to everyone.

Off-Topic: Forum is damm slow today, always freezing

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

~Souza~

May 24, 2014, 04:42:51 PM
I do not believe this poem was about the hologram honestly. No clue what it was about but if I had to guess it is something we have not seen yet.

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

May 24, 2014, 04:52:35 PM
I do not believe this poem was about the hologram honestly. No clue what it was about but if I had to guess it is something we have not seen yet.

Hey Souza, could be it was about something else, but I find it kinda odd that so many things are matching. May be it is only a part of the riddle. I am just curious what will happen next.

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

May 25, 2014, 05:00:33 AM

exactly, that little jerk of his body has 'TUDE' all over it.  i'm back, i'm STILL BAD,....now what?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

May 25, 2014, 05:38:40 AM
for anyone that know about holograms & cgi's  would either cause a reflection on the floor.  i could see the reflection of his & the dancers feet?  at one point also his jacket.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Datroot

May 25, 2014, 06:03:49 AM
Same here - I suppose the impersonator could actually have been there and it may not have been a hologram/GGI effect at all - I would love to believe it could have been MJ himself though.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions