My humble opinion about  this is:YES and NO ,lol  lolol/ !!!
Yes because unfortunately it overshadowed his later "pieces of art" like Invincible and History album.No because Thriller was a the album that made Michael the biggest entertainer that everl lived PERIOD   michael-jackson/  !!!!!

Opinion: Thriller Was The Worst Thing That Happened To Michael Jackson
February 9th, 2012 1:15pm EST | By: Brad Washington

Before pop superstar Michael Jackson’s death in June of 2009, his name was more of a draw as his association with global popularity first, his social and physical demise second, and his music and artistry third. In the wake of his passing, his music was suddenly revived to pre-1993 status as people sang along and played his memorable hits such as Remember The time, Billie Jean, Off The Wall, etc. His classic album Thriller began to be played like it was 1983 again and the album itself began to fly off the shelf, with its latest certification of 29 million sold certified just weeks after his death. But even before his death, the blockbuster album was regarded as his only true magnum opus, which in my opinion is a slap in the face to the incredibly musically gifted Jackson.

Originally limited to songwriting due to his experiences with Motown’s The Corporation/Hal Davis, Jackson proved that he could be a legit song architect when he penned number ones such as Don’t Stop til You Get Enough from his 1979 adult solo debut Off The Wall and Billie Jean of course from Thriller.

But he was only responsible for the composition of three songs on Off The Wall, and four on thriller, but yet we build his artistic legacy from only those two albums more specifically Thriller? Seriously?

Because of the enormous success of Thriller, Jackson’s Bad album is constantly overlooked as one of the best put together and well-crafted pop albums ever made, and the Dangerous and HIStory albums were each fresh and up to date sound that saw Jackson’s artistry and creative vision continue to increase. But it’s never the case with critics because to them Thriller was his Omega.

An interesting fact of his overlooked artistry post-Thriller is from Bad-HIStory he wrote/co-wrote every track except seven songs. To make an even more valid point, he also co-produced (even written and produced songs like They Don’t Care About Us and Stranger in Moscow credited solely by himself) each song from the three albums.

Thriller is of course undeniably a classic, but can’t we really say it’s his best work when Rod Temperton, Quincy Jones, Steve Porcaro, etc. were successful participants to why the album was a success and immortal.

Yes Off The Wall is an R&B/Pop classic, and yes Thriller changed the landscape of music and how a pop record is made, but it also helped create unrealistic goals for Jackson to accomplish, although the albums sold extremely well, each album that followed Thriller was dismissed as a flop in contrast to Thriller. It’s so disappointing that we forget that Bad/Dangerous sold 30 and 32 million globally (eight million and seven million in the U.S.). We forget that on Bad he was the first artist to achieve five number ones. We forget on the Bad album he co-wrote nine of the 11 songs and co-produced the entire album. We forget Dangerous provided four top ten pop records in which he wrote/produced on all four of the records. We as music lovers forgot about his music before he died, and now are forgetting that his artistry grew AFTER Thriller.

Thriller didn’t just make Jackson try to achieve 100 million records for each album, it made him the poster of 1980’s, his album as the “source of validation” you know what good music is, even though grooves like “Leave Me Alone” “Black or White” “Liberian Girl” “The Way You Make Me Feel” and even later on “Earth Song” are musically one of his most strongest arrangement-wise songs he’s ever made. So while you make your argument that Thriller is of-all-end-all Michael Jackson, just know Jackson at its artistic peak is post dark-skin. Just saying.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

suspicious mind

what is with implications that he was never satisfied with his own work after thriller and that was his to his downfall? that is not the case at all. imo he was riding high ( perhaps too high for some) until those first allegations. that last line was interesting.  suspicious//
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be shrewd as serpents and as innocent as doves."  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Why not just tell people I'm an alien from Mars? Tell them I eat live chickens and do a voodoo dance at midnight. They'll believe anything you say, because you're a reporter. But if I, Michael Jackson, were to say, "I'm an alien from Mars and I eat live chickens and do a voodoo dance at midnight," people would say, "Oh, man, that Michael Jackson is nuts. He's cracked up. You can't believe a single word that comes out of his mouth."

Tink

what is with implications that he was never satisfied with his own work after thriller and that was his to his downfall? that is not the case at all. imo he was riding high ( perhaps too high for some) until those first allegations. that last line was interesting.  suspicious//

To be quite honest? I liked his music better after Thriller. When I heard Black & White, Remember the Time, I felt he was hitting his stride. Bad had so many wonderful songs, people don't even realize they're humming them in the grocery stores today!

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Black & Proud! I'm like the Oracle/Batgirl, who helps Batman in the comic books. I believe in "Comic Book justice."

Katie2

• Hoaxer
  • View Profile
  • Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality
Thriller is sort of a strange thing to me, but I don't get why people say Thriller is the best album ever, I mean it is a good album but I listen to Blood on the Dancefloor more then Thriller. I just think BAD and Dangerous are a lot better then Thriller, Thriller just doesn't do a lot for me, althought I dont know why :?:
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

MJonmind

My question is how could he sit with that belt on? :shock:   I guess he stood all night! :lol:
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tink

My question is how could he sit with that belt on? :shock:   I guess he stood all night! :lol:

Now THAT I can easily answer! I'm a clothes *beeeep*, and the belt's above your butt, so you can sit down though it doesn't look it. Just don't ask me too much about my storage system - I've lost boyfriends over my clothes - because there's no room for their's!  :twisted:
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Black & Proud! I'm like the Oracle/Batgirl, who helps Batman in the comic books. I believe in "Comic Book justice."

everlastinglove_MJ

Actually, I think it's just an opinion expressed by one person. On which facts is his opinion based or is the author's opinion based on opinion poll results? I'm curious about what other music critics say about this.
Personally, I think it makes no sense to compare them, because they are individual artworks, made in different eras.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
It's all for L.O.V.E.

sigh

Overall, a good article, except that "post dark skin" allusion. Whatever ...

The "Thriller-dilemma" happens to all the artists, and not only in the music industry. Everything they did before and after "Big Bang", so to speak, it's underrated. It's the artists' curse, in a way.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Sarahli

Actually, I think it's just an opinion expressed by one person. On which facts is his opinion based or is the author's opinion based on opinion poll results? I'm curious about what other music critics say about this.
Personally, I think it makes no sense to compare them, because they are individual artworks, made in different eras.

I agree. This is just an opinion, not the truth. And yes I am asking myself on how much informed and "in the know" he really is about Michael's artistry because he doesn't even know that Thriller II is in the making.  :roll:  :lol:

The best is yet to come!   moonwalk_/ mj_bad/ michael-jackson/
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
We are here for you Michael and will always love you whatever happens.
'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.'
"You shall not accept any information, unless you verify it for yourself. I have given you the hearing, the eyesight, and the brain, and you are responsible for using them."

everlastinglove_MJ

I agree. This is just an opinion, not the truth. And yes I am asking myself on how much informed and "in the know" he really is about Michael's artistry because he doesn't even know that Thriller II is in the making.  :roll:  :lol:

The best is yet to come!   moonwalk_/ mj_bad/ michael-jackson/

because he doesn't even know that Thriller II is in the making. :? :lol:

:lol: exactly! He doesn't have the facts straight :mrgreen:
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
It's all for L.O.V.E.

the impact of "thriller" up  to this generation is just proof how the song marked his whole career as a popstar
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions