paula-cTopic starter

Health professionals getting hooked on Michael Jackson drug propofol

Propofol (Diprivan) was among the mix of drugs that contributed to singer Michael Jackson's death in 2009, the Los Angeles County coroner concluded. / (AP Photo/Cliff Schiappa, File)

Abuse of the anesthesia drug propofol by health care professionals is a growing problem, a new study says.

Propofol (Diprivan) is used to put patients to sleep for surgery and to sedate them for other procedures. It is widely used because it takes effect rapidly and offers patients a quick recovery time, with fewer side effects than other anesthetics.

It was among the mix of drugs that contributed to singer Michael Jackson's death in 2009, the Los Angeles County coroner concluded.

Researchers analyzed data from an addiction center specializing in substance abuse problems among health care professionals and identified 22 health care workers who were treated for propofol abuse between 1990 and 2010.

During that period, there was a steady increase in the number of health care professionals treated for propofol abuse, which currently accounts for 1.6 percent of all cases of health care professionals treated for addiction, the study authors said.

The patients identified in the study included 13 doctors, eight nurses and one dentist. Most of the doctors and all of the nurses were anesthesia providers and had easy access to propofol, according to the findings in the April issue of the Journal of Addiction Medicine.

The propofol abusers were more likely to be women, and many of the patients had depression and a history of childhood sexual or physical abuse. Most of the patients also had a family history of substance abuse, and a higher-than-expected number had family members with schizophrenia, the investigators found.

Many of the patients started using propofol to help them sleep, but they quickly became addicted to the drug. Most sought addiction treatment within a few months of starting to abuse the drug, while five patients entered treatment after a single propofol binge.

About half began treatment after dramatic events such as car crashes or other injuries. Some suffered injuries when they passed out immediately after injecting themselves with propofol. Five were admitted to treatment after being discovered unconscious, the researchers noted in a journal news release.

"Propofol addiction is a virulent and debilitating form of substance dependence" with a "rapid downhill course," wrote Dr. Paul Earley and Dr. Torin Finver of Georgia Health Professionals Program Inc., in Atlanta.

Some of the patient characteristics identified in this study — including a history of depression and childhood abuse, as well as certain injury patterns — could be used to identify and treat propofol abuse in health care professionals, the researchers suggested.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

This is funny because when I was having oral surgery (the first of 2  :icon_eek:); the surgeon said okay now we’re gonna put you under with the MJ drug.  I live in Atlanta…  :icon_e_confused:
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Don't stop this child, He's the father of man
Don't cross his way, He's part of the plan
I am that child, but so are you
You've just forgotten, Just lost the clue.”

MJ "Magical Child"
Still Rocking my World…
   and leaving me Speechless!

“True goodbyes are the ones never said

Adi

I had to have several episodes of oral surgery about 2 years ago and the surgeon said to me "we are going to put you under with Propofol...you know the stuff which Michael Jackson died from?"

...all I could do was chuckle to myself thinking if only you knew - however, it wasn't the right time for me to begin to convince him MJ wasn't dead  :icon_lol:.....didn't instill a great feeling of confidence  in me when he mentioned the dying bit (even though I knew MJ hadn't)
Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 09:19:32 PM by Adi
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Andrea

It’s almost funny that surgeons would refer to Michael when speaking to patients about propofol…it’s like a reflection of the unique and powerful influence Michael has, although this is probably not the best example considering so many think propofol killed him.  But that misperception cannot last.

About the addiction article. Some may turn to drugs or alcohol to dull the pain of what troubles them but this (propofol) is something else, this is blotting out time and thought entirely.  That is a very dangerous addiction.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

It wouldn’t surprise me one bit if the cost and popularity of propofol went off the roof after being associated with causing the “death" of Michael Jackson.  I’ll bet they are racking up the profits with smiles on their faces.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Don't stop this child, He's the father of man
Don't cross his way, He's part of the plan
I am that child, but so are you
You've just forgotten, Just lost the clue.”

MJ "Magical Child"
Still Rocking my World…
   and leaving me Speechless!

“True goodbyes are the ones never said

everlastinglove_MJ

Thanks for posting this article.

It's sure a good thing that MJ's 'death' linked to propofol caused awareness in health care and among patients. Misuse of propofol and other drugs and wrong doctors are being monitored.

Patients started to question propofol saying "I don’t want that stuff. That’s the stuff that killed Michael Jackson". Physicians have to explain, well there's nothing wrong with that.

LOVE
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
It's all for L.O.V.E.

suspicious mind

when my husband had surgery to put in the port for his chemo i was asking what they would use to put him to sleep and jokingly said we all know about the propofol now.  and the nurse commented that it was great stuff in the proper hands.

just the other night  i saw one of these murder mystery things and the murderer used propofol to kill the victom. with the overdose the victim died instantly. they mentioned the use of propofol for things such as migraines and some other things , i thought that was interesing.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be shrewd as serpents and as innocent as doves."  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Why not just tell people I'm an alien from Mars? Tell them I eat live chickens and do a voodoo dance at midnight. They'll believe anything you say, because you're a reporter. But if I, Michael Jackson, were to say, "I'm an alien from Mars and I eat live chickens and do a voodoo dance at midnight," people would say, "Oh, man, that Michael Jackson is nuts. He's cracked up. You can't believe a single word that comes out of his mouth."

MJonmind

Suspicious, how is your husband doing now?  Is he okay?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

everlastinglove_MJ

Suspicious, how is your husband doing now?  Is he okay?

I hope he is okay.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
It's all for L.O.V.E.

suspicious mind

so far so good. :multiplespotting: last treatment was june of 2011 . gets test ever 12 weeks. i think not long from now they will become further apart.  i think he doesn't always feel as strong as he used to but he is over 60 now .  he still acts livelier than i do and he has 5 years on me.  :penguin:

thanks guys for asking about him and thank you for all your prayers and well wishes.

GOD IS GOOD!
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be shrewd as serpents and as innocent as doves."  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Why not just tell people I'm an alien from Mars? Tell them I eat live chickens and do a voodoo dance at midnight. They'll believe anything you say, because you're a reporter. But if I, Michael Jackson, were to say, "I'm an alien from Mars and I eat live chickens and do a voodoo dance at midnight," people would say, "Oh, man, that Michael Jackson is nuts. He's cracked up. You can't believe a single word that comes out of his mouth."

MJonmind

That's so good to hear, and good that he has you by his side through this ordeal! Many blessings and long life!
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

sweetsunsetwithMJ

• Hoaxer
  • View Profile
  • Michael I am looking forward to your BAM!!
so far so good. :multiplespotting: last treatment was june of 2011 . gets test ever 12 weeks. i think not long from now they will become further apart.  i think he doesn't always feel as strong as he used to but he is over 60 now .  he still acts livelier than i do and he has 5 years on me.  :penguin:

thanks guys for asking about him and thank you for all your prayers and well wishes.

GOD IS GOOD!

:multiplespotting:
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
I WANNA BE WHERE YOU ARE!!

everlastinglove_MJ

So glad to hear that he's doing fine SuspiciousMind and that the tests results are okay, i wish him good health  :bearhug:
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
It's all for L.O.V.E.

blankie

• Registered users
  • Hoaxer
  • View Profile
  • It's all for L.O.V.E.
Happy for you and your husband suspicious mind  :bearhug: really happy !!!!  :icon_bounce:  :icon_razz:
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions