MJonmind

Re: Mottola,MJ and the The Army of Yes men
February 16, 2013, 02:07:10 AM
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
by Eric Olsen, on Jan 10, 2003
The surprise is not that he is gone, but how long he lasted - the judgment of anyone who would marry Mariah Carey is deeply flawed. I wouldn't marry Mariah Carey with someone else's body:
The 14-year reign of Tommy Mottola at Sony Music is over.
According to sources at Sony Music, where the phones have not stopped ringing, Mottola only found out he was leaving when he arrived this morning at 550 Madison. "He was told to go see Sir Howard Stringer, and when he got there they handed him a press release," my source said. Mottola was then given a couple of hours to clear out his office. A deal for a record label was, according to sources, Sony's resolution of the last year of his contract.
....The Japanese owners of Sony had a lot on their minds when it came to Mottola's future. The talented but volatile music executive personally forced out two of Sony's major stars, Mariah Carey (his ex-wife) and Michael Jackson. In the case of the former, the embarrassing story of Mottola allegedly stealing music from Carey's Glitter album and passing it to Jennifer Lopez didn't help much. Carey was able to use that information as leverage to leave her Sony contract one album early.
In the case of Jackson, the complicated goings-on regarding his finances and the Beatles catalog culminated last summer in Jackson riding around Manhattan with a megaphone calling Mottola a racist. If there's one thing companies like Sony don't like, it's public humiliation. And Stringer, who runs Sony Entertainment, and is a class act, was never amused by Mottola's antics.
There was also the very public fight over royalties with the Dixie Chicks, and the company's inability to make Celine Dion's recent album more than a middling hit.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Andrea

February 16, 2013, 11:22:41 AM
The surprise is not that he is gone, but how long he lasted - the judgment of anyone who would marry Mariah Carey is deeply flawed. I wouldn't marry Mariah Carey with someone else's body:
According to sources at Sony Music, where the phones have not stopped ringing, Mottola only found out he was leaving when he arrived this morning at 550 Madison. "He was told to go see Sir Howard Stringer, and when he got there they handed him a press release," my source said. Mottola was then given a couple of hours to clear out his office. A deal for a record label was, according to sources, Sony's resolution of the last year of his contract.
....The Japanese owners of Sony had a lot on their minds when it came to Mottola's future. The talented but volatile music executive personally forced out two of Sony's major stars, Mariah Carey (his ex-wife) and Michael Jackson. In the case of the former, the embarrassing story of Mottola allegedly stealing music from Carey's Glitter album and passing it to Jennifer Lopez didn't help much. Carey was able to use that information as leverage to leave her Sony contract one album early.
In the case of Jackson, the complicated goings-on regarding his finances and the Beatles catalog culminated last summer in Jackson riding around Manhattan with a megaphone calling Mottola a racist. If there's one thing companies like Sony don't like, it's public humiliation. And Stringer, who runs Sony Entertainment, and is a class act, was never amused by Mottola's antics.
There was also the very public fight over royalties with the Dixie Chicks, and the company's inability to make Celine Dion's recent album more than a middling hit.

I believe this is part of the ongoing battle.  Michael publicly humiliated Sony by telling the truth and then shortly afterwards, Michael is (again) publicly humiliated with lies.  Their goal was to discredit whatever Michael said, or would say, and ruin him financially with an intent to steal his assets, namely the music catalog but this is not just limited to certain people within Sony. 
Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 11:23:27 AM by Andrea
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

sweetsunsetwithMJ

• Hoaxer
  • View Profile
  • Michael I am looking forward to your BAM!!
February 16, 2013, 02:52:09 PM
The surprise is not that he is gone, but how long he lasted - the judgment of anyone who would marry Mariah Carey is deeply flawed. I wouldn't marry Mariah Carey with someone else's body:

I believe this is part of the ongoing battle.  Michael publicly humiliated Sony by telling the truth and then shortly afterwards, Michael is (again) publicly humiliated with lies.  Their goal was to discredit whatever Michael said, or would say, and ruin him financially with an intent to steal his assets, namely the music catalog but this is not just limited to certain people within Sony.

Besides that Tommy Mottola was jealous of Michael for the fact that Thalia was somehow in love with Michael  :icon_lol:
Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 02:54:22 PM by sweetsunsetwithMJ
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
I WANNA BE WHERE YOU ARE!!

Girl_In_the_Mirror

February 19, 2013, 04:49:51 AM
OMG you guys, I've been missing for almost a week ( had a terrible flu that almost killed me literally) and now I'm finally back, only to find out other interesting facts...I read the article posted by Paula C. - with Dick Gregory...WOW :omg: I also read about Mottolla, and indeed, there are facts that will slowly come to light, and I truly believe and hope that truth will prevail...

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"As the planet faces danger and bad days,
We look up to you and we bring our praise
So, know that moonwalkers will always stand by
The man with the heart as big as the sky!" (GITM -  February 2013)

suspicious mind

February 19, 2013, 07:04:23 AM

perhaps it is just me but i read this as sony holding this who thing against mattola not michael. i could be wrong but that's how it reads to me.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be shrewd as serpents and as innocent as doves."  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Why not just tell people I'm an alien from Mars? Tell them I eat live chickens and do a voodoo dance at midnight. They'll believe anything you say, because you're a reporter. But if I, Michael Jackson, were to say, "I'm an alien from Mars and I eat live chickens and do a voodoo dance at midnight," people would say, "Oh, man, that Michael Jackson is nuts. He's cracked up. You can't believe a single word that comes out of his mouth."

paula-c

February 19, 2013, 07:12:31 PM
Did Tommy Mottola Buy Credibility From The New York Times?

February 19, 2013

Tommy Mottola’s memoir Hitmaker: The Man and His Music hit the NY Times Bestseller list in it’s first week of publication at #3. How could this be? Here’s a record executive who hasn’t been with a record company in over a decade writing about a shrinking business and trying to sell his memoir to a shrinking book buying public.

If you’re an old school record industry guy, you’re probably very adept at manipulating the charts. In the pre-Soundscan days, the list of Billboard reporting retailers was a loosely kept secret and simple bribery was used to get many of those retailers to report inflated sales figures. When Soundscan eliminated the shenanigans by actually recording real sales by computer, record executives responded with new ways of gaming the system, like selling Mariah Carey singles at $.29 each, well below standard wholesale price, thus spiking sales, boosting chart positions and helping to establish new records… like outselling the Beatles.

So it makes perfect sense that a record executive could just as easily manipulate the book business and its version of the Billboard charts, the venerable NY Times Bestsellers. Such seems to be the case of Tommy Mottola’s recent autobiography. Upon close inspection, the timeline of the short-lived Hitmaker  raises eyebrows. The book was released on Tuesday, Jan. 29. After one full week of sales, Hitmaker enters the NY Times Bestselling Non-Fiction Hardcover list at the Number 3 on Feb. 9 (for the week ending Feb. 17). Pretty impressive, right? The loving Mrs. Thalia Mottola dutifully tweeted the good news (Tommy’s new book #HITMAKER is #3 on the NY Times Best Sellers list – Hardcover Nonfiction! You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login … Congrats! @TommyMottola). The book also entered bestseller lists from the LA Times, USA Today and Publishers Weekly at Number 6. According to reports, the next evening, at the Grammy’s, “Hitmaker was given out for free at a Grammy party by the truckload.” The rule of thumb is that once a book appears on the bestseller list, sales spike. But one week later the book had completely disappeared from every bestseller list. Not just dropped to a lower position, but completely gone. Not even in the top 150 bestsellers in USA Today. Vanished.

Gaming the bestseller list is not new. The first high profile case was in 1968 when producer Hal Wallis bought the film rights before the publication of True Grit. Wallis’ studio, Paramount, wanted to get the book on the bestseller list before filming even started, so the publicity department sent its people out to buy every copy of the book and gave them away to the media to build hype. By the time the film started shooting True Grit was Number 2 on the bestseller list, headed for Number 1 and a lengthy run as a bestselling novel.

According to The Economist, “In the late 1980s, the Scientology movement was accused of artificially inflating the sales of books by its founder L. Ron Hubbard to make them appear on the New York Times’s bestseller list—the doyen of lists, of which there are now around 40 in America alone. In 1990, four years after Hubbard’s death, billboards in Los Angeles proclaimed him as the author of ’22 national bestsellers and more to come’.”

Even Sarah Palin got in on the act. Three years ago she used her PAC to spend more than $63,000 for copies of her memoir Going Rogue: An American Life on what the organization described as “books for fundraising donor fulfillment.” The book  became a New York Times #1 bestseller in its first week of release, and remained there for six weeks.

So does this mean that Tommy sent his minions around to some key booksellers and bought their entire order then gave them away to Grammy partiers a few days later, who, by the way, were the most likely people to actually buy the book? Unlike the example above, Tommy Mottola is not a well-known figure to the general public. According to several authors of NY Times bestsellers I spoke with, it wouldn’t take much to pull it off. “A guy who thinks like Tommy Mottola and had his kind of money could easily influence the list by buying a thousand or so books from some big-name bookstores and enter in the Times’ Top 10. It could run as little as $27,000, which is peanuts for him”, says one author. Another bestselling author said, “It’s pretty much common sense to pick the stores that are most likely reporting outlets. But what’s rare is to see efforts to rig the charts that don’t have legs. Sounds to me like this is a good case of gaming the system.” Yet another author said “Something’s wrong with this book [Hitmaker]. It’s just not a subject matter that the book buyers are interested in. Tommy Mottola hasn’t been relevant for 10 years. Why would anybody care now? In fact, Mariah Carey’s not relevant either.”

Other than boosting sales, as this chicanery clearly didn’t, what is in it for Tommy? Even though Hitmaker was on the Times list for merely 1 week, he’s now able to refer to himself as a “New York Times bestselling author” …forever.

And they say you can’t buy credibility.

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

MJonmind

February 19, 2013, 10:39:11 PM
Perhaps:
1. He wants to clear his name (devil) from those who believe MJ's account.
2. Powerful men above him, wanted to continue the degrading/destroying of MJ's name and fortune.

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions