everlastinglove_MJTopic starter

A superfan's view on Michael Jackson: The Immortal World Tour

It might be another Jackson estate moneyspinner, but the Cirque du Soleil show has some moving moments, says superfan Les Slater
Share72

Interview by Laura Barnett

The Guardian, Sunday 21 October 2012 18.00 BST

Confusing … Michael Jackson: The Immortal World Tour.

I've loved Michael for as long as I can remember. When I was 16, I took a coach from Birmingham to London to camp outside his hotel for three days. Some of us followed him to Hamleys toy shop and spoke to him outside. Michael was always happy to talk to his fans, even when his security guards told him he shouldn't.

And then it just snowballed. I saw Michael live many times, and I now know most of the Jacksons well. Over the years, I've been working on a Jackson Five tattoo – each time I meet one of the brothers, I ask him to autograph my body, then go to the nearest tattoo parlour to have it made permanent. The family know all about it: last year, they invited me to Vegas so I could get Marlon's and complete the set.

So when I heard that Cirque du Soleil was making a show about Michael, I was intrigued: the tabloids always said Michael's life was a circus, so it seemed ironic. I've now seen the show 19 times – starting with the premiere in Montreal last year, then in Las Vegas, now in London. Each time I see it, I find something new to admire.

The last time, I saw Jonathan "Sugarfoot" Moffett – Michael's drummer, who plays in the show – look up, kiss his fingers, and blow a kiss into the sky to Michael. It's a really moving moment. Some fans say they're boycotting the show because it's endorsed by Michael's estate. They feel the estate is just making money out of the fans; they won't buy any records or merchandise released since his death, either. I don't agree with that, which is why I'm not a member of any of the official fan clubs. I think a show like this is a brilliant way of keeping Michael's memory alive.

If you're a fan of Cirque rather than Michael, though, I can see why you might find the show frustrating: the storyline's quite confusing, and there's little in the way of acrobatics. At the last show I saw, someone actually shouted out: "Do some acrobatics!" Really, the show is just about the dancing and the music – which makes sense, because that's what Michael's life was about, too.

• Michael Jackson: The Immortal World Tour is at the Birmingham NIA and the Manchester Arena in March. Details: cirquedusoleil.com
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I'm posting  this review because this is a positive review among many biased and rediculous reviews of the O2 shows I've been reading. I agree to most of what she wrote and not just because it's a review from a fan, but more because I think it is unbiased and she has made a true point here: "the show is just about the dancing and the music – which makes sense, because that's what Michael's life was about, too".

I'm just saying that this show was AWESOME, I loved it!!! Even though I watched the show from a very high seat  (:errrr: no I've no fear of heights). Even my hubby, who's not a fan but likes his music, was impressed and loved every act and song and was even woohoo-ing  :icon_bounce: next to me :icon_lol: I tried to watch with rational "hoaxy" eyes :icon_cool: though that was quite an effort because there were too many breathtaking awe moments which were often heart touching. I felt like I wanted to absorb every act, song, color, effect because this show is created and performed in such MJ detail. Amazing! What was striking is Michael's face on the screen and when a dancer hit the screen his face shattered in pieces. I haven't seen the Giving Tree/Tree of Life :icon_question: which I thought had a quite significant meaning. I don't know about the other shows but in the show on the 19th the song "Gone Too Soon" started and stopped after about 15 sec, followed by the song "I'll Be There" ..."when there is love I'll be there" :icon_cool: which was beautiful and interesting to say the least imho. "Will You Be There" was captivating with all those red lighted hearts in unity and my heart skipped a beat when MJ's hologram appeared on stage. An incredibly amazing show with Michael's presence sensible in every way.  I wouldn't have missed it for one bit and I would definitely watch the show again..probably I would see more clues then. Btw, before the show they played songs of the Invincible album :icon_e_biggrin: which was already a good start because it is my fav album. Well, this was my personal review.
Of course I'm always curious about your thoughts.

with LOVE
Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 05:34:30 PM by everlastinglove_MJ
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
It's all for L.O.V.E.

Thanks for the review - loved to hear about your experience!  We have this other interview someone on file but we can never have enough positive remarks about MJ so let's overload the Internet on positive instead of negative, right? :)

I went to the show here in the US in December of 2011. It was a great show but I don't remember any hologram? The Giving Tree (from what I heard) had some technical problems and they made some alterations. I thought that they'd have it worked out by now but maybe not. My young grand daughter was a little disappointed because they changed the choreograph of her favorite song (I can't remember which one now) and my grandson asked "when is Michael coming out". LOL - I kept wondering that myself, whether he'd make some appearance.

Overall, I thought it was a brilliantly done show that only the "live" presence of Michael could outdo. But IMO Michael intended on these shows as a way to give back to his fans, draw a new generation of fans, and to keep current on the trends without being in a hundred places at once or without having to travel around the world on tour.

Blessings to you :)
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
I'm proud to be a child of God and a member of MJ's Army of L.O.V.E.

"Press coverage of my life is like [watching] a fictitious movie...like watching science fiction. It's not true." ~Michael Jackson (2005)

"You should not believe everything you read. You are missing the most important revelations". Craig Harvey 3-15-2012

Thank you for sharing your experience, Voice. Yes let's overload the web with positivity:)

I'm glad to know that the Giving Tree is still there but it is just in alteration, thanks.
Obviously I was wrong about the hologram (probably wishful thinking..real MJ is even better lol). Although I've read somewhere that there are hologram plans, I must have confused it with a 3D image of Michael which is used during the show. I remember this video about the 3D during the shows: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.

So, your grandson is also a beLIEver who's (im)patiently waiting for his appearance, sweet :)

Overall, I thought it was a brilliantly done show that only the "live" presence of Michael could outdo. But IMO Michael intended on these shows as a way to give back to his fans, draw a new generation of fans, and to keep current on the trends without being in a hundred places at once or without having to travel around the world on tour.
Well said, so true!

LOVE always
Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 05:42:49 AM by everlastinglove_MJ
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
It's all for L.O.V.E.

emulik

thank you for the article and your personal experiences Everlastinglove and Voice, too! I like so much reading those experiences from the show. I must say I am happy for you to had a chance to be there and felt that magic atmosphere!
I would like to go, too, so much, it is planned for next year to come to Czech rep.  :woohoo2:
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Please do not forget who the driver is! ...:)

MJ will get us home safely! :)

marumjj

• Hoaxer
  • View Profile
  • "Lies run sprints, but the truth runs marathons"
  • Smile, though your heart will hurt
Thanks for sharing everlastinglove, The Immortal World Tour is a show from the beginning promised magic and emotions, and I see that it is meeting.
voice, thanks also for telling your story, I love reading the feelings of those who had the opportunity to be there. With love always 

:bearhug:
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Hi :), you're welcome Emulik! The show will be in your country next Feb. isn't it?  that's pretty soon!! I hope you will see it!

LOVE
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
It's all for L.O.V.E.

Marum  :bearhug: I'm glad you loved it.

with LOVE
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
It's all for L.O.V.E.

Thanx for sharing your story with us,everlastinglove. :bearhug: The Immortal Tour will also pass by my country but only in April 2013 so i'll still have to wait some time. :Pulling_hair:
Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 11:34:13 AM by taty_2crazy
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Hi I saw the show on Sunday 21st October we had very close seats to the stage and there was no hologram it was a white screen with Michael in his white shirt and black pants with his arms spread out just like he always does. The show was AWESOME the BAND was amazing, thank you "Sugar Foot" and all Micheals band members including the new members you did a AWESOME job.Thank you!

This was a true work of art that Michael would have loved to be part of!

I would love to see it again !

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

blankie

• Registered users
  • Hoaxer
  • View Profile
  • It's all for L.O.V.E.
 :bearhug:  Thanks everlastinglove for sharing !!!  :bearhug: I love this !!  :icon_razz:
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
LOVE YOU MORE

@Taty, it will be definitely worth waiting!  :michael-jackson:        :bearhug:

@Jadz,  :bearhug: thank you for posting your experience! Yes, i agree it was a screen with MJ's image, probably in 3D, not sure though. Anyways it surely was impressive.

:bearhug: @Blankie

LOVE
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
It's all for L.O.V.E.

marumjj

• Hoaxer
  • View Profile
  • "Lies run sprints, but the truth runs marathons"
  • Smile, though your heart will hurt
Marum  :bearhug: I'm glad you loved it.

with LOVE

Of course, reading the feelings of my fellow travelers, makes me happy and somehow move me, too, with love always.                 :)
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

emulik

Hi :), you're welcome Emulik! The show will be in your country next Feb. isn't it?  that's pretty soon!! I hope you will see it!

LOVE

yes, I hope to have a chance to go there with my growing pregnant belly  :icon_razz:
Have a nice autumn day dear friend!  :bearhug:
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

use_your_illusion

• Hoaxer
  • View Profile
  • If you're reading this...you owe me a dollar

LOVE

yes, I hope to have a chance to go there with my growing pregnant belly  :icon_razz:

Awww how awesome, when are you due?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Do you give up yet?

emulik

LOVE

Awww how awesome, when are you due?
in April :)
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal