everlastinglove_MJTopic starter

December 26th, 2011

03:53 PM ET

L.A.'s Cirque du Soleil journeys through 'World of Cinema'

Cirque du Soleil, the internationally renowned troupe of acrobats, dancers, contortionists, gymnasts, and circus-like performers, has finally set up a permanent show in Los Angeles, and the show couldn't have a better theme: filmmaking. 8-)

In its rollout of “IRIS: A Journey Through the World of Cinema,” the Cirque has appropriately chosen Hollywood’s Kodak Theatre as its tent, which some of you may know as the setting for the Oscars.

In fact, when the Academy Awards ceremony starts to prepare for its February 26 telecast next year, the show will take its annual hiatus, from January 23 to March 27.

Since 1984, Cirque du Soleil has entertained 100 million people in almost 300 countries with performances focusing on everything from mankind’s evolution to the world of insects to, more recently, Michael Jackson.

To conjure up the creativity involved in Hollywood filmmaking, the show deploys a dizzying arrangement of dance, live video, film footage and interactive projections. In all, the production features 72 performers, 200 costumes, 20 video projectors and two central characters, Buster and Scarlett, who journey through “a poetic phantasmagoria inspired by the world of cinema,” according to the show’s creators.

A statement describes the show as presenting “an imaginary journey through the evolution of cinema – from the foundations of the art form to the bustle of the soundstage – through optical effects and film genres."

Among the more memorable acts are the synchronized stunts on trampolines of numerous stunt actors performing a tribute to gangster movies, with tommy guns in hand. Their jumps and falls from buildings, scaffolds and a water tower conjure up an action movie, though executed on a theater stage.

Another act is presented as a mock filmstrip: performing in unison, dancers move between doors that resemble frames of a film, and the performers re-create a motion picture.

In addition to artists who push the human body’s performance to a perfection that Michelangelo would admire, the show’s costume designer, Philippe Guillotel, has created half-human, half-machine characters whose attire incorporate the technical inventions of early movie making.

Roaming the crowd prior to the opening act is a young woman wearing a short, cylindrical skirt resembling a praxinoscope, an old-fashioned animation device that is spun rapidly to display a moving picture of two boxers in action.

“I’m a devoted fan of Jules Verne's universe with all its mechanical gears and rivets,” Guillotel said. “When I see an old wood and brass camera I immediately want to make a costume. And I want everyone who sees the 'IRIS' costumes to immediately think of one word: cinema.”
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

It will be the biggest movie EVER! 8-)

I just had to add this pic of MJ behind the camera: "OK, everybody that's a wrap" ;)

L.O.V.E. always
Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 06:53:51 PM by everlastinglove_MJ
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
It's all for L.O.V.E.

thank you everlastinglove_mj..
i didnt see in your post who is the shows creators are suspicious// lol not like if it was mj they would tell us anyways :lol: ..
would love to see this show..now i really miss going out to california a few times a month.. :cry:
thank you again for this information
huggs n love n faith to you.. bearhug
suzz
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

i didnt see in your post who is the shows creators are suspicious// lol not like if it was mj they would tell us anyways :lol: ..
would love to see this show..now i really miss going out to california a few times a month.. :cry:
suzz

You're right, the creators weren't mentioned in this article. I didn't investigate properly because it seems to be 'old' news  :?, sorry for the confusion. I had to check on the CDS site first, I did now and there's nothing mentioned about a Jackson Cirque joint venture. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.

I was thinking of Michael and filmmaking, history of animation movies etc. It was just wishful thinking, I guess..

bearhug  to you too suzz

L.O.V.E.

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
It's all for L.O.V.E.

suzz

You're right, the creators weren't mentioned in this article. I didn't investigate properly because it seems to be 'old' news  :?, sorry for the confusion. I had to check on the CDS site first, I did now and there's nothing mentioned about a Jackson Cirque joint venture. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.

I was thinking of Michael and filmmaking, history of animation movies etc. It was just wishful thinking, I guess..

bearhug  to you too suzz

L.O.V.E.

hey everlastinglove_mj
i was joking lolol/ meaning even if it was shown who they were i'm sure they wouldn't say it was mj ;) lol that's all lol..i thought your post was great full of information so again thank you ;D..i agree with the film making he always said he wanted to do film n bring it to the next level and that would be one hell of another level too..would love to see it..it just might not be wishful thinking everlastinglove_mj ;)...no need to be sorry at all..i don't think they could just come out and say yes mj is behind this lol not just yet anyways but it sounds like hes behind this...and i'm glad you posted it ..i don't think its old news i haven't seen it on here..
huggs n love n faith to you bearhug
suzz
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

suzz

bearhug  to you too suzz

L.O.V.E.

hey everlastinglove_mj
i was joking lolol/ meaning even if it was shown who they were i'm sure they wouldn't say it was mj ;) lol that's all lol..i thought your post was great full of information so again thank you ;D..i agree with the film making he always said he wanted to do film n bring it to the next level and that would be one hell of another level too..would love to see it..it just might not be wishful thinking everlastinglove_mj ;)...no need to be sorry at all..i don't think they could just come out and say yes mj is behind this lol not just yet anyways but it sounds like hes behind this...and i'm glad you posted it ..i don't think its old news i haven't seen it on here..
huggs n love n faith to you bearhug
suzz

Thank you for kind words and open view on this and indeed I hope it is not just wishful thinking too.
I hope to see this show once and even more to see the Immortal show, which is for me way far away, and that it is not just wishful thinking ::P

Wishing you LOVE and joy for 2012
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions