everlastinglove_MJTopic starter

Coca Cola ~ green message in a bottle
December 16, 2011, 04:34:53 PM
Hey guys,

I think this news is definately a 'make a change' message and action!

As I was reading some Dutch news, I found an article about a Dutch company Avantium You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login. The Coca Cola Company made a deal with Avantium, Gevo and Virent for production of a 100% green bottle based on a YXY-technology developed by Avantium. The production of the green bottle could lead to 50-60% CO2 reduction! I think this is very good news, because now Coca Cola takes the first green step...more will follow, hopefully some quick green steps respect/

Coca-Cola taps biotech firms to scale PlantBottle production

By Heather Clancy | December 15, 2011, 9:26 AM PST

Beverage giant The Coca-Cola Co. has tapped three biotechnology companies to aid with the commercialization of its plant-based packaging, PlantBottle.

The deals with Virent, Gevo and Avantium were made after Coca-Cola studied the approaches of more than 30 different potential partners, said Rick Frazier, vice president of commercial product supply, Coca-Cola. The new multi-million-dollar relationships center on exploiting the full potential of PlantBottle, a packaging approach that currently replaces up to 30 percent of the PET in bottles with plant-based materials. The goal is to extend PlantBottle so that 100 percent of the materials are plant-based, Frazier said.

“We know how to do this in the lab. What we don’t know is whether the technology for doing this can actually operate on the scale required,” Frazier said during a press briefing to announce the partnerships.

Who are the companies that will aid Coca-Cola in this mission? Each of the biotechnology pioneers will use its own approach in conjunction with the secret approach for Coca-Cola Plant Bottle.
 •Virent’s technology uses catalytic chemistry to convert sugars into materials that have properties similar to petroleum. One of the materials it produces is bio-based paraxylene, which is key for creating 100 percent plant-based PET. Virent’s first commercial plant is supposed to open in 2015.
 •Avantium’s approach is based on its YXY technology, which it can use to create PEF bottles. The company is hoping to achieve commercial production levels “in the next few years.”
 •Gevo intends to produce paraxylene from its bio-based isobutanol. The company didn’t offer a commercialization timeframe in Coca-Cola’s press materials about the new partnerships.

The current PlantBottle packaging is made from MEG (mono-ethylene glycol) and PTA (purified terephthalic acid). The research and development relationships announced today will replace the PTA with plant-based materials, according to the companies.

Coca-Cola’s goal is to use PlantBottle as the material for its entire “virgin” PET supply by 2020. What’s more, the company has been licensing its approach to other companies, including Heinz, so it is easy to see how this might become a real revenue generator for the company.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

L.O.V.E.
Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 04:46:00 PM by everlastinglove_MJ
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
It's all for L.O.V.E.

Re: Coca Cola ~ green message in a bottle
December 16, 2011, 04:48:47 PM
Hey guys,

I think this news is definately a 'make a change' message and action!

As I was reading some Dutch news, I found an article about a Dutch company Avantium You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login. The Coca Cola Company made a deal with Avantium, Gevo and Virent for production of a 100% green bottle based on a YXY-technology developed by Avantium. The production of the green bottle could lead to 50-60% CO2 reduction! I think this is very good news, because now Coca Cola takes the first green step...more will follow, hopefully some quick green steps respect/

Coca-Cola taps biotech firms to scale PlantBottle production

By Heather Clancy | December 15, 2011, 9:26 AM PST

Beverage giant The Coca-Cola Co. has tapped three biotechnology companies to aid with the commercialization of its plant-based packaging, PlantBottle.

The deals with Virent, Gevo and Avantium were made after Coca-Cola studied the approaches of more than 30 different potential partners, said Rick Frazier, vice president of commercial product supply, Coca-Cola. The new multi-million-dollar relationships center on exploiting the full potential of PlantBottle, a packaging approach that currently replaces up to 30 percent of the PET in bottles with plant-based materials. The goal is to extend PlantBottle so that 100 percent of the materials are plant-based, Frazier said.

“We know how to do this in the lab. What we don’t know is whether the technology for doing this can actually operate on the scale required,” Frazier said during a press briefing to announce the partnerships.

Who are the companies that will aid Coca-Cola in this mission? Each of the biotechnology pioneers will use its own approach in conjunction with the secret approach for Coca-Cola Plant Bottle.
 •Virent’s technology uses catalytic chemistry to convert sugars into materials that have properties similar to petroleum. One of the materials it produces is bio-based paraxylene, which is key for creating 100 percent plant-based PET. Virent’s first commercial plant is supposed to open in 2015.
 •Avantium’s approach is based on its YXY technology, which it can use to create PEF bottles. The company is hoping to achieve commercial production levels “in the next few years.”
 •Gevo intends to produce paraxylene from its bio-based isobutanol. The company didn’t offer a commercialization timeframe in Coca-Cola’s press materials about the new partnerships.

The current PlantBottle packaging is made from MEG (mono-ethylene glycol) and PTA (purified terephthalic acid). The research and development relationships announced today will replace the PTA with plant-based materials, according to the companies.

Coca-Cola’s goal is to use PlantBottle as the material for its entire “virgin” PET supply by 2020. What’s more, the company has been licensing its approach to other companies, including Heinz, so it is easy to see how this might become a real revenue generator for the company.

L.O.V.E.

Everlast thank you for this news  :) .Of course I'm glad but ,I don't know how to react at this news ,because in the first place,people don't buy Coca Cola for the bottle,lol  lolol/ !!! Actually people don't care at all about the bottle,all they care is about that stupid POISON  they drink  :x !!!! Unfortunately majority of people don't care about the nature and in the end of course they don't care about of what material is made the bottle.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

everlastinglove_MJTopic starter

December 16, 2011, 06:30:13 PM
Applehead, I understand your confusion, because this post may have looked a bit like an ad to promote the Coca Cola drink, I agree that there are much healthier drinks than a Coke, though that's not what I meant. It is to show the first (pioneer) step of new innovative 'green' developments for a better earth in general. In this case a 100% green bottle. I hope that more multinationals, which are probably following the developments (I hope) will follow with production of 100% green bottles or plastic packages. I reckon that will make a big difference in CO2 emission globally. Maybe I'm now an idealist  :?.. yet I keep believing..

L.O.V.E.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
It's all for L.O.V.E.

emulik

December 17, 2011, 03:14:28 AM
@thank you Everlastinglove..this is such a good news! It sure can heal our environment when they start to use it. Hopefully, globally.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Please do not forget who the driver is! ...:)

MJ will get us home safely! :)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal