~Souza~Topic starter

The New Forum Lay-out and Features
November 03, 2011, 09:02:54 PM
As everyone has seen, the forum has had a facelift. Partly because I didn't like the old one, and partly because there were errors and bugs in the old one because of the conversion from the old software(phpbb) to the new software (smf). For that last reason, I couldn't use the old lay-out even if I wanted to. The forum even had more problems after a security update I had to do, so this is a complete fresh install and should run smoother and faster for those who had trouble loading and/or posting.

Let me first explain what has changed and how to use the forum layout and features the best way possible.

I have tested the forum on my laptop the way it is (widescreen 1600x900) and normal screen (1024x768) and in 4 different browsers: Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, Safari and Firefox (latest releases of all 4 of them). I personally always use Chrome, because for me Chrome works the fastest and the easiest, but I saw that the new layout works fine with Safari and Fireforx as well. The problems I encountered in IE were that the buttons are white (only see the text when you put your mouse pointer on them), the graphics are not shown as they should (not a major issue by the way) and the scroll bar can not be dragged up and down, unless you double-click it. My advise is therefor for everyone who has trouble using the forum in Internet Explorer, to switch to either Chrome, Firefox or Safari. If you need any help on that, ask me or any other member in this thread to help you out. Here are the links to the downloads:

Chrome: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Firefox: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Safari: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Let's start with the menu, which is now in the silver bar on top of the forum above the logo, instead of below it:

This is what you will see on top (except for the admin and moderator section of course). 'Home' will take you to the new portal section, with an overview of certain boards/topics etc. Just like the old one, but this one has many more features. I might add or delete some things in the upcoming days/weeks, but that will change nothing to the forum layout as it is now, at least nothing major.

What was 'forum' on the old board, is called 'community' now. I could change that in the code, but I will not because it's simply something everyone will get used to in a few days. 'Community' will take you to the actual forum index, or board index.

The rest is unchanged and should look familiar to everyone. The pokes still act weird and show ghost pokes, but it does work when you really poke someone and many do like it, so I reinstalled it. Maybe the developer of this modification will fix the bug some day but until then: ghost pokes guaranteed!

Also new are the sidebars displayed on the forum now, instead of just on the portal (home) page. For those with a widescreen (like me) it's heaven on earth, because you can navigate the forum very quickly with it. For people with a normal screen it seems like a pain in the ass, since the middle section is so small that they have to scroll from left to right. But do not panic, because there is a solution to that issue!
When you point your mouse to the sides of the screen (next to your scrollbar for the right that is), you will see another bar that says 'Hide the left Panel' or 'Hide the right Panel':

As soon as you click that (either just one of the sides, or both), your middle section will expand. If you hide both, it will be the same as it was with the old layout. If you want to use them again, do the same to show the panels again.

Functions of the sidebars:

I installed the sidebars because many were complaining that they found it hard to navigate the forum or view recent posts; not just with this layout, but also with the previous one. If there is anyone left now having trouble finding anything, then there is nothing more I can do.

The left side

On the left side you see your profile info with links that will take you to: your personal messages, your unread posts since last visit, unread replies to your posts and your own posts. There is also a drop down menu for language, where I will add additional languages later (this is not working yet).

Under that there is a counter that shows the days, hours, minutes and even seconds since June 25, 2009 2:26pm. This way we will know exactly how many days have passed since then, without having to use calendars or calculators.

Underneath that are the visitors displayed. It said 2011 first, because I thought I installed this new software somewhere in april and that the counting started then, since the code says 'smf log', which is the log for the new software installation. But I just saw I installed it in late July, so 4.3 million visitors seemed a little too much. On the other hand, it said 4.2 million yesterday, which means an increase of more than 100,000 in a day, so these are most likely the visitors since July 2011. Nothing important, just fun to see that so many are lurking.

Then we have the calendar with the b-days, holidays and upcoming events. My request is to please use the calendar, only a few do. Whenever we hear a date for something to occur, please post it in the calendar.

Under the calendar is an option to select a theme. The orange theme is the default one, the other one is a light theme which is less graphic. For those with a slow internet connection, the light theme might help speeding up loading your pages.

Lastly on the right are the board statistics and the online users, also nothing important but just fyi.

The right side

On top of the right side you will find the most recent posts/topics. That way you will always see what is posted lastly, without having to click a certain link.

Under that an advanced search block, and below that the forum navigation as displayed on the board index. When you expand a certain category with the + on its left, you will see a maximum of 2 unread posts in that certain category. If you click the category name itself, it will take you to that category.

On the bottom of the page, just above the links in the footer, there is a shoutbox. Only logged in members are allowed to post in it, but guests are able to read. Again nothing important, just fun.

The Homepage:

In the middle section of the homepage ('home' in the top menu), you will see all kinds of info. On top we have MJ Beatz radio (keep in mind that you will have to keep the homepage open in order to keep listening) and underneath that are the most recent posts/topics, like on the right sidebar but with an intro to the post, the trial live stream and updates from the trial sister site, and at the bottom there are recently updated topics from certain categories I selected (most important/popular ones).

Lastly: there is a new toolbar for the forum (the old one is still on the main site). With this toolbar you can translate not only the forum, but also the posts, and it has an IM function. If you click on 'Who's Online', you will see a list of online users (NOT the ones that are hidden though) and if you click one of the names, you get a pop up window that allows you to privately chat with that member.

I hope it's clear for anyone and that you will all benefit from the new layout. If you have any questions, please ask them in this thread and please fill in the poll, this will help me help you better. If you have any additional ideas, or if you are experiencing any problems, please explain in your post what exactly, and as for the latter: please provide me with your screen resolution and internet speed (slow/fast).

ps. Comments like 'I liked the old layout better' are useless and will be ignored.
Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 10:33:33 PM by ~Souza~
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

~Souza~Topic starter

Re: The New Forum Lay-out and Features
November 03, 2011, 10:06:02 PM
Someone voted 'I never had problems loading but forum is slow for me now' without leaving a comment. If you don't explain what your problem is, I won't be able to help.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Andrea

November 03, 2011, 10:27:50 PM
I liked the old layout better...

LOL, just kidding - it looks great Souza.  I only had problems (slooooow loading) on my work computer but it's sorted itself out.

Thanks for your hard work in continuing to keep the forum at it's best, I definitely appreciate it.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

bec

November 03, 2011, 11:46:38 PM
Amazing. I'd love just a little bit of your sense of motivation. This is great, Souza!
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Are you entertained?

November 03, 2011, 11:48:42 PM
Thanks Souza - I, for one, had a lot of problems with slow loading pages but I haven't used the new features enough to report that it's fixed so I'll come back in a day or two and report with your poll at the top of the page.

My only wish is that when I click on a post it will take me where I left off. Perhaps there is a way that I'm not aware of?

Blessings
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
I'm proud to be a child of God and a member of MJ's Army of L.O.V.E.

"Press coverage of my life is like [watching] a fictitious movie...like watching science fiction. It's not true." ~Michael Jackson (2005)

"You should not believe everything you read. You are missing the most important revelations". Craig Harvey 3-15-2012

November 04, 2011, 02:15:22 AM
 respect/ Souza, the new lay-out works great, like the other one (I had a slow-loading problem on the old-old forum), but that didn't keep me from studying at all.

GREAT WORK!

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

curls

November 04, 2011, 04:42:52 AM
Souza, thank you so much for that superb explanation!  I'm a happy bunny now that I know how to hide the side panels.  The 'freezing when typing' issue I was having seems to have righted itself too today, so all's well here. Thanks!
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

November 04, 2011, 06:36:38 AM
Great job Souza!! Thank you for your hard work!!
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

paula-c

November 04, 2011, 08:03:09 AM
    You cannot criticize the labor disinterested and well done, very well  Souza                                                                                     
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

skyways

November 04, 2011, 08:04:06 PM
Thanx  Souza, but my update very unfortunate with new layouts:((

1. On front page of Forum as well as Resent unread post - same thread repeats few times itself instead of give place for some new post or different info.

2. It's VERY difficult to navigate now Especially from phone connection- pages not screen out properly and it's impossible to login via phone anymore cause all recognizable patterns is gone and new one no where to be found:(((((. But may be its just my phone problem.

Solution: it's possible to have open options for old layouts on front page connected to all news or at least resent posts for some one who unable to use new futures- the simplest way to navigate is Really Helpful in face of BIG Mess all Hoax presented NOW?

3. Also, First page on Forum look  really like smash out mess when all topicks just mix with each other without proper Connection like it was before- without some map I m lost there now - WHERE to go and how to find something???
All help will be truly appreciated.

May be all that changes is truly necessary but we also have to keep in mind that our forum navigated from MANY PEOPLES ABROAD- please, keep that much easy will be helpful for all.

Appreciated all hard work on that issue ant look forward for BETTER changes- Hopefully its NOT Last version;)))).

BLESSINGS!!
Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 08:07:38 PM by skyways
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

skyways

November 04, 2011, 08:37:00 PM
Againe@ i dont want 2 hurt anybody feelings on my update- just try to be objective and observing for better function of OUR VERY BELOVED 4 US AND VERY IMPORTANT 4 MICHAEL PLATFORM !!

Hope againe that its NOT our Last outlook @@

p.s.  Have few topiks and subforum saved on my phone memory that still look familiar- so i use it@ uh, such a pity ://  .

Hope its not stay that way for so long :(
and Way its always have to happend around such IMPORTANT dates - Murray trial outcome 4example??
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Grace

November 05, 2011, 03:19:30 AM
Someone voted 'I never had problems loading but forum is slow for me now' without leaving a comment. If you don't explain what your problem is, I won't be able to help.
There's no space to post any comment. At least I didn't see any.

Rant.
I never had any major issues until now but now this is a real pain since my firefox (latest version) always freezes and dumps and I am about to throw the desktop out of the window or refrain from using the forum.
I don't need and want to see the foot panel that I seem not to be able to click off, I don't want to have the facebook buttons in each and every post. The whole thing is so overloadedly slow now that I can even see the process calls for each and every site that is linked from here.
There are 4 trackers now on the forum: Facebook Connect, Facebook Social Plugins, Google +1 and Twitter and I don't need and want any of these. For everybody who does not want them either: block them with Firefox Add-In "Ghostery".
This is testing my patience big time.
Rant over.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Create your day. Create the most astounding year of your life. Be the change you want to see in the world! L.O.V.E.
***********************************************************************************************
"I am tired, I am really tired of manipulation." Michael Jackson, Harlem, New York, NY, July 6, 2002
***********************************************************************************************
******* Let's tear the walls in the brains of this world down.*******

Time to BE.

MissG

November 05, 2011, 10:37:23 AM
Souza, it took me 3 trials to be able to log. At times says my pass is wrong.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
("Minkin güerveeeee")
Michael pls come back

"Why a four-year-old child could understand this hoax. Run out and find me a four-year-old child. I can't make head nor tail out of it"

Katie2

• Hoaxer
  • View Profile
  • Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality
November 05, 2011, 11:23:46 AM
Thanks for writing the bit about scrolling I feel thick now for not clicking it twice  :roll: I think I am the only one who didn't have any problems with the old forum  8-) Well done on updating the forum it looks great
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Im_convincedmjalive

• Hoaxer
  • View Profile
  • Down Ass G!!! More thaN U know haha! ~Smile~
  • I'm Watchin From -2012- Twilight Zone!:)
November 05, 2011, 06:20:35 PM
Souza-I roll with the forum however it is. I am grateful to have a forum to go to so no need for me to complain because there could be no home for us.  smiley_spider

My favorite part of the new forum is the quotes at the top. I love how they randomly change for every page. I like learning new stuff and perfect this quote came up as I am posting. Thank you for all your hard work.  respect/
We learn something every day, and lots of times it’s that what we learned the day before was wrong.
~Bill Vaughan
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions