mac5kTopic starter

UCLA to Pay Fine for Violating Privacy of Patient Records

Here's a case that opens a window on how tabloid newspapers get intimate details of celebrity's
medical lives: They pay hospital employees to rifle through private medical records.
The University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) Health System has agreed to pay the federal
government $865,000 to resolve allegations that its employees violated patient privacy, according to
investigative journalists at ProPublica.
Between 2005 and 2008, UCLA employees repeatedly snooped in patient medical records, including
those of celebrity patients Farah Fawcett, Britney Spears, Michael Jackson and former California first
lady Maria Shriver. ProPublica had reported earlier how Fawcett (now deceased) had set up a sting
operation to catch leaks to the National Enquirer about her cancer. In 2010, a former UCLA employee
pleaded guilty to four counts of illegally reading private and confidential medical records.
The agreement with the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services requires UCLA to train
health system employees who have access to patient records, to sanction those who break the rules
of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) and to assign an independent
monitor to assess its compliance for three years.
Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

all4loveandbelieve

already posted
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

I'm happy to be alive, I'm happy to be who I am.
Michael Jackson

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal