A local family’s ‘miracle from Michael Jackson’

Thrift store buy was apparently worn by singer

A local family is calling a thrift store find a “miracle from Michael Jackson.”

Judith Woolworth Donahue and her daughter Kiazmhir bought a bag of clothes at Vina Moses in Corvallis, Ore., that included a multi-colored jacket that, they later discovered, was once worn by Jackson.

Written on the lining around the collar is “M. Jackson #5,” Kiazmhir Donahue told The Triplicate recently, calling the jacket “really special."

She and her mother took the jacket to the Treasure Hunters Roadshow that was recently in Crescent City. One of the representatives said that with authentication papers, the jacket could be about $2 million, Donahue said.

Donahue said she hopes this 10-cent discovery will help the family that has struggled with money for many years.

“I want the best for my mom,” she said. “She should have had this.”

Woolworth Donahue is the great-granddaughter of F.W. Woolworth, who founded the five-and-dime store chain. Kiazmhir Donahue said she doesn’t know exactly how it happened, but her mother grew up wealthy, but “never got a dime of her inheritance.”

Woolworth Donahue declined to be interviewed by The Daily Triplicate.

An Associated Press story on Woolworth Donahue ran in several publications in 2000.

“For a few years, we lived really well, but then all of a sudden we were living on this huge mansion on this huge estate with no money. We didn’t have food,” Donahue said then.

Kiazmhir Donahue said she and her mother moved to Crescent City about 25 years ago “with a cat, car and some clothes.”

A press release from TransMedia Group, a South Florida-based public relations firm retained by Woolworth Donahue, states the jacket has been authenticated by  Billy Wilson, president of Motown Alumni Association.

According to the press release, the jacket was likely worn by Jackson very early in his career with the Jackson 5 during an appearance on the Wayne Newton Show of the late ’60s or early ’70s.

Back then, Jackson’s mother Katherine and aunt Rebbie were making the costumes for the pop group, the press release states.

“When examining other Jackson costumes of the early years the seams, and clothing tag are virtually exactly the same,” Wilson says in the press release. “The hand-written signature on the garment is virtually the same as the signatures on earlier Jackson 5 garments.”

The red and black jacket Michael Jackson wore in the “Thriller” video, which is autographed by the late singer, is expected to fetch about $200,000 at the Music Icons auction on June 25 and 26 in Beverly Hills.

Kiazmhir Donahue doesn’t know exactly what her mother wants to do with the multi-colored jacket found in a thrift store. Woolworth Donahue recently obtained Hollywood agent Joel Gotler, who has brought stories such as “L.A. Confidential” and “The Lincoln Lawyer” to the big screen.

“She’s as happy as she can be,” Donahue said.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"This is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning." – Sir Winston Churchill

mdc

Not sure why she would need an agent but the article reminded me of this from 1977...

Michael on top of the Woolco store in [glow=red:2f9zhdyi]Memphis, TN[/glow:2f9zhdyi], May [glow=red:2f9zhdyi]1977[/glow:2f9zhdyi].

June 26, 2009

Not sure why I found it interesting that MJ was in Memphis the same year Elvis died.  I guess because Memphis celebrated a king and then 3 months later mourned another.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

[BBvideo 425,350:f9cwkvyx]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bi7faWTsrs[/BBvideo:f9cwkvyx]

:lol:  :lol:
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

everlastinglove_MJ

Quote from: "happythoughts"
[BBvideo 425,350:2lxsxde2]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bi7faWTsrs[/BBvideo:2lxsxde2]

:lol:  :lol:

:lol:
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
It's all for L.O.V.E.

For some odd reason this reminds me of the bloody shirt found in the closet:

Maybe because the shirt seemed to also be a thrift store find...the price was $3.99
I never thought it was used to "mop up blood".....why would it be hung back in closet....yuck!  

Just thinking out loud here........
Blessings!

PS>  Also.....$2,000,000???? For a piece of his clothing????  The Thriller jacket maybe, but this one?  I wouldn't pay that...even if I could (sorry Michael, no offense)
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Well, Michael DID say the salvation army was his favorite store! :D :lol:

This is a really nice story. (:
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

أملي هو فيكم.

Whoever told her that it was worth 2 million dollars was lying through their teeth. The Thriller jacket worn in the music video is only worth 200,000, so there is no way a jacket worn once by Jackson during The Jackson's era for a T.V. show that wasn't very memoriable, would be worth 2 million dollars. I don't want to be mean, or anything, but it never really belonged to Michael in the first place, it was picked out for him, for him to wear only once for a forgettable T.V. interview. It is cool that he did wear it, but Michael probably wouldn't recognize it, he only wore it once, ya know? lol. I am happy for the family though, it is awesome to find MJ related memorbilia, because even though it isn't worth much money-wise, to a fan it is priceless. I remeber my mom telling me, months after June 25th, 2009 that she had met him and got his autograph. I looked at her, with a crazed expression on my face, because I had been mourning him forever and she chooses now to tell me, that I have a priceless Michael Jackson autograph sitting in our decaying attic! I tore that attic apart for that autograph, and I can't tell you how excited I was when I finally got my damn hands on. It is from The Jackson's era. It has all of the Jackson 5's autographs on a booklet full of pictures of the Jackson 5, except for Jackie, we have Randy Jackson's instead.... and a person named Larry Jackson (?), anyway, and there all these pictures of my mom posing next to the Jacksons, and the autographs. LOL, there was no other feeling like it, to be able to hold a small, tiny, micro ammount of Michael's legacy. That damn autograph is mine! Well.... it's technically my mom's, but when she dies (God Bless her soul) It's Mine!!! Oh no, wait.... than it goes to my brother, but when he dies and I am in my late 70's, it will be mine!!!! Oh well, she lets me hold it sometimes! :)
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
We are only as alone, as we choose to be.
"That we are not separate and alone, but each of our hearts beat within the chaos and wonder of the universe. That our souls were created from the light of a billion stars."
Libravalidusamare
Do not forget to love

for the record...that Thriller Jacket was sold today for 1.8 million.

Winning bid
$1,800,000

Estimate:
$200,000 - $400,000

Starting:
$100,000
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
I'm proud to be a child of God and a member of MJ's Army of L.O.V.E.

"Press coverage of my life is like [watching] a fictitious movie...like watching science fiction. It's not true." ~Michael Jackson (2005)

"You should not believe everything you read. You are missing the most important revelations". Craig Harvey 3-15-2012

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal