"The Nightmare of Edgar Allen Poe"
March 27, 2011, 09:39:31 PM
Apparently Michael was going to star as Edgar Allen Poe in a movie about the last week before his death.

But the film ended up being shelved. He had written a song for it and everything.

Thoughts?

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

and another article that goes more in depth: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

this second article is pretty horrible (the things they say about him) :(

Much has been made of Michael Jackson’s identification with the character of Peter Pan, but the late singer had another literary devotion that didn’t make it into his obituaries: He was an Edgar Allan Poe fanatic and had long planned to star in a biopic about the horror writer.

Called The Nightmares of Edgar Allan Poe, the European-funded vanity project was a dream for the King Of Pop. “Michael says by the time he’s done preparing for this, the audience isn’t even going to know it’s him, with the major makeup,” co-executive producer Gary Pudney told USA Today’s Jeannie Williams in 2000. “The new Michael is Michael Jackson, the movie actor. That is what he wants to devote his energies to.” Jackson pronounced the script as “very scary”, and although the movie was not a musical, he planned to sing a song with lyrics based on Poe’s poetry over the closing credits. Producer Pudney said Jackson had talked to Steven Spielberg about the project, who was enthusiastic and suggested several potential directors, including Tim Burton. Pudney also boasted that the movie, in which characters from Poe’s work came back to haunt the author during the last week of his life, would give Jackson a “great death scene.”

Given Poe’s fear of premature burial, it seemed like more than rote recitation of cliché that the writer might’ve been “rolling over in his grave” at the prospect of being portrayed by Jackson. Indeed, the existence of Nightmares was mind-blowing news, even by the (high? low?) standards of tabloid staple “Wacko Jacko”. It was news that lent itself to jokes: Would he instruct “The Tell-Tale Heart” to “just beat it”? Would “The Raven” be replaced by Bubbles the Chimp?

It was also yet another bizarre turn in the trajectory of Poe’s pop-culture legacy. First an NFL team, the Baltimore Ravens, takes its name from his poem (its raven mascots are named Edgar, Allan, and Poe). Then Poe’s great-great nephew, actor-musician Edgar Allan Poe IV, appeared as the ghost of his great-great uncle on the sitcom Sabrina, the Teenage Witch. Later, a fictionalized Poe was also found sleuthing murders with King of the Wild Frontier Davey Crockett in The Alienist-ish novel Nevermore. But I always understood Jackson’s affinity for Poe, perhaps—no, definitely—because I was once a fifth grade kid obsessed with two people: Michael Jackson and Edgar Allan Poe.

Yes, the racial angle of the MJ casting raised questions, among them: How confused would the late playwright August Wilson have been? But, let’s be honest—casting MJ as Poe was not as problematic as, say, casting El DeBarge as Nathaniel Hawthorne. Whether it’s because of the skin disease vitiligo, cosmetic bleaching, or a combination of both, Jackson’s pallid complexion looks even more Goth than portraits of Poe’s pale visage. The issue here is not casting a black man to play a white man; it was casting an alien mannequin drag queen apparently sculpted out of soap to play a white man.

Below the surface, there were connections between the two cultural icons. Both Jackson and Poe are arguably the most popular American export in their respective fields, and major influences on those who followed. Baudelaire was said to make his morning prayers to God and Edgar Allen Poe, and Justin Timberlake and Usher are obviously both Michael Jackson impersonators moonwalking in MJ’s fleet footsteps.

There was also symmetry to their scandals. They both have been accused of pedophilia—at the very least, they shared a penchant for PYTs: Poe married his 13-year-old cousin Virginia, and Jackson has hosted many a sleepover with 13-year-old boys. Thus their respective sexualities have been wildly speculated about. In a posthumous psychoanalysis of Poe, Dr. Maria Bonaparte theorized that Poe was celibate, entertained thoughts of necrophilia, and suffered from a castration complex (her mentor, Dr. Sigmund Freud provided the preface for this study).

Despite vehement assertions to Diane Sawyer, many said the same (well, minus the necrophilia and castration stuff) of Jackson’s marriages to Lisa Marie Presley and, later, to his plastic surgeon’s nurse, Debbie Rowe, even though they had two children together. (I’d also bet in real-life, that the paternity suit of a certain Billie Jean would’ve been thrown out of court in a hurry.)

They both struggled with financial difficulties despite being among the best at what they did. Many historians say Poe was an opium addict; Jackson revealed he had an addiction to the painkiller Demerol in court papers. They both explored the pull of drugs in their work.

Here’s Poe’s narrator from “Ligeia,” seeing visions of his dead lover: “In the excitement of my opium dream (for I was habitually fettered in the shackles of the drug), I would call aloud her name ...”

Here’s Jackson, from Blood on the Dance Floor‘s “Morphine”:

“Demerol Demerol Oh God he’s taking Demerol
  Hee-hee-hee Demerol Demerol Oh my oh God it’s Demerol
  Hee Oooh”

Then there’s the Vincent Price factor. Price, of course, was the on-screen embodiment of Poe’s work in such Roger Corman films as The Pit and the Pendulum, The Masque of the Red Death, and The Cask of Amontillado. He also provided the rap and maniacal cackle on the title track of Jackson’s Thriller.

But alas, Michael Jackson never ending up playing Poe—at least not in the movie. Sadly, now the haunted figures have another thing in common. They both died young; Poe was 40, Jackson was 50. They were both emaciated, in debt, their bodies abused by chemicals, forever blessed with talent and haunted by demons.
Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Let me bathe in my own time when I come back in. I\'m gonna button my shirt or my jacket or whatever it is. I\'m gonna look around a little bit, play with them. Snap my fingers maybe, then BAM!"

Re: "The Nightmare of Edgar Allen Poe"
March 31, 2011, 11:47:04 PM
Hey thecheetoman2004........

Sorry I haven't post here yet...I was sort of blown away the other day when I saw this thread.  I woke up that day with this thought:
.....it seems like Michael has put together all of Poe's great works into one great adventure....the theme of death, resurrection, pre-mature burial, mystery, macabre, detective work, cause if death a mystery, etc.......all fit within this hoax.  Michael is like a modern day Poe, in a way.  He sees beauty in what others might be afraid of...which is how I imagine Poe was.  Poe was a misunderstood man with a brilliant mind....remind you of someone?  Poe wrote about death and about hoaxes...again, someone we know? Fall of the House of Usher and The Raven are both undeniably relatable to Michael in some way.....however, I always had a sense that the trials of Michael's life were his Pit and Pendulum.  Thrown into darkness; the legal system, the media and endless critics swung at him like a sharp pendulum.  After enduring the pain of it all, he finds himself about to be shoved into a pit by the music industry.  Perhaps, just maybe, this hoax is his saving hand.
If Michael were going to star in a film about Poe, I believe he's doing it.  However, with this hoax I am beginning feel trapped beneath the raven's shadow, crying out Nevermore..........

Blessings to you all.......
thanks for the thread cheetoman  ;) it was wild timing the other day for sure!!
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

April 01, 2011, 12:35:29 AM
Quote from: "wishingstar"
Hey thecheetoman2004........

Sorry I haven't post here yet...I was sort of blown away the other day when I saw this thread.  I woke up that day with this thought:
.....it seems like Michael has put together all of Poe's great works into one great adventure....the theme of death, resurrection, pre-mature burial, mystery, macabre, detective work, cause if death a mystery, etc.......all fit within this hoax.  Michael is like a modern day Poe, in a way.  He sees beauty in what others might be afraid of...which is how I imagine Poe was.  Poe was a misunderstood man with a brilliant mind....remind you of someone?  Poe wrote about death and about hoaxes...again, someone we know? Fall of the House of Usher and The Raven are both undeniably relatable to Michael in some way.....however, I always had a sense that the trials of Michael's life were his Pit and Pendulum.  Thrown into darkness; the legal system, the media and endless critics swung at him like a sharp pendulum.  After enduring the pain of it all, he finds himself about to be shoved into a pit by the music industry.  Perhaps, just maybe, this hoax is his saving hand.
If Michael were going to star in a film about Poe, I believe he's doing it.  However, with this hoax I am beginning feel trapped beneath the raven's shadow, crying out Nevermore..........

Blessings to you all.......
thanks for the thread cheetoman  ;) it was wild timing the other day for sure!!

Wow wishingstar - INCREDIBLE POST!!! Thank you both for sharing this article and insight into Edgar Allen Poe. I think there are some videos on youtube where the hoax is compared in some way to Poe. I will need to search this out.

About the comments in the article. They were disrespectful, yes, but it's nice that we are seeing fewer and fewer articles degrade Michael in such manner. To me it is a reminder of how far we've come in 21 months.

Thank you again for being so incredible in relaying your thoughts this way.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
I'm proud to be a child of God and a member of MJ's Army of L.O.V.E.

"Press coverage of my life is like [watching] a fictitious movie...like watching science fiction. It's not true." ~Michael Jackson (2005)

"You should not believe everything you read. You are missing the most important revelations". Craig Harvey 3-15-2012

April 02, 2011, 02:47:29 PM
Guys, do you remember Michael's video Ghost at the beginning of the video. Remember they show a Raven, as soon as I saw that it reminder me of the book The Raven by Edgar Allan Poe. You guys have to remember that Michael loves to reads and he studies the best and continues to study the best, dead or alive(the artist that he studies).
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

April 11, 2011, 05:29:50 PM
Quote from: "Lemonbread904"
Guys, do you remember Michael's video Ghost at the beginning of the video. Remember they show a Raven, as soon as I saw that it reminder me of the book The Raven by Edgar Allan Poe. You guys have to remember that Michael loves to reads and he studies the best and continues to study the best, dead or alive(the artist that he studies).

Hey Lemonbread904....I do absolutely remember the seeing the raven in the beginning of Ghost.  I think Ghost is an amazing piece of work.  There are many aspects to that video, like Liberian Girl, that can be related to this hoax.  Thanks for bringing it to our attention......Poe was a genius at scripting fears of the unknown, so they may dance among your thoughts.  Michael is a master at creating that same tremble of excitement.  What a pair! Love it...love it!
voiceforthesilent- thank you so much for the sweet words, they mean so much!  I am on the prowl, so to speak, for those Poe videos ;)
Hope you guys are having a great day!
Many blessings always!
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

October 29, 2011, 01:25:32 PM
Sorry for posting an old topic, however, it's so timely with Halloween and all........
I haven't been able to get Poe out of my head.  This entire hoax mirrors Poe on so many levels.  With so many new members, it would be great to get new input on this.  Poe's death was also very suspicious (including his attending physician) ...to this day:

SimPattyK.....any thoughts on Poe?  I was reading Fall of the House of Usher the other night....amazing work.  I believe this hoax will go down in history as a great work of fiction....a new type of reality-fiction created by one of the greatest showmen the world has ever known: Michael Jackson. 

Blessings Always
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

October 29, 2011, 07:16:17 PM
Sorry for posting an old topic, however, it's so timely with Halloween and all........
I haven't been able to get Poe out of my head.  This entire hoax mirrors Poe on so many levels.  With so many new members, it would be great to get new input on this.  Poe's death was also very suspicious (including his attending physician) ...to this day:

SimPattyK.....any thoughts on Poe?  I was reading Fall of the House of Usher the other night....amazing work.  I believe this hoax will go down in history as a great work of fiction....a new type of reality-fiction created by one of the greatest showmen the world has ever known: Michael Jackson. 

Blessings Always

Wish my friend I know very well what you say,Michael LOVES Poe.Here is some info starting from 1999  :).

In 1999 it was reported that Michael was to star in an upcoming film called "The Nightmare Of Edgar Allan Poe." The film was scheduled to start shooting in Montreal in the Fall of 2000. The film's producer, Gary Pudney, told the "Post" that "Michael has always been fascinated by the writings of Poe and by his bizarre death at age 40  :shock:." He also says that Michael's next album may be his last  :?, as the singer "quite rightly" feels that he's done all that there is to be done music, and that after the album is out, Michael plans to devote his time to the movie business  8-). Source
"Michael says by the time he’s done preparing for this, the audience isn’t even going to know it’s him  afraid/, with the major makeup,” co-executive producer Gary Pudney told USA Today’s Jeannie Williams in 2000. “The new Michael is Michael Jackson, the movie actor. That is what he wants to devote his energies to.” Michael pronounced the script as “very scary”, and although the movie was not a musical, he planned to sing a song with lyrics based on Poe’s poetry over the closing credits. Producer Pudney said Michael had talked to Steven Spielberg about the project, who was enthusiastic and suggested several potential directors, including Tim Burton. Pudney also boasted that the movie, in which characters from Poe’s work came back to haunt the author during the last week of his life, would give Michael a “great death scene.” Source
Gary Pudney spoke to “The Columbus Dispatch” in 2000: “Michael Jackson will move to Montreal with his two children in early 2001 to prepare for the shooting of his long-planned movie.” Production was to begin in March and Michael would be acting in the leading role and also was to be executive producer, with Gary Pudney and Jim Green. Gary Pudney told columnist Marilyn Beck: “Michael’s not going to look exactly like Poe, but you won’t be able to tell the difference between them 10 minutes into the picture, it’s going to be absolutely spectacular, full of gruesome goodies – and concluding with all the ghosts Poe wrote about coming back to haunt him at the end of his life. We’ll also be hiring six to eight other incredible actors to help bring Michael up to snuff, he’ll have an acting coach prior to production and during shooting.” Michael is currently writing the theme song, which he will sing. Gary Pudney: “He wants to concentrate on films, we’re already planning on more Poe films, and there are one or two other pictures we are also talking about doing. Michael is wired into the hierarchy of Hollywood – people like Marlon Brando and Elizabeth Taylor, with whom he wants to work – and vice versa.” Source
In August 2002, it was reported that Michael and Gary Pudney were looking for a producer for the film, and that Michael was taking acting lessons from Marlon Brando, but the film never materialised.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

October 29, 2011, 09:21:18 PM
Just had to jump into this conversation, being somewhat of a literature buff myself.  I agree, "Fall of the House of Usher" is an excellent read for Halloween.  afraid/   And "Cask of Amontillado" is another scary, Halloween-type short story by Poe (I think someone else may have mentioned it too); it has a similar theme  to "House of Usher."
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
It's all for L.O.V.E.

October 29, 2011, 10:03:24 PM
@starchild......I will have to re-read Cask of Amontillado...but, if I remember it's a murder with a revenge plot?  It's not one I read years ago.....but recently while re-reading some of my favorites.  Thank you for bringing this one up....will definitely read it : )

Blessings Always
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

October 29, 2011, 11:43:39 PM
@starchild......I will have to re-read Cask of Amontillado...but, if I remember it's a murder with a revenge plot?  It's not one I read years ago.....but recently while re-reading some of my favorites.  Thank you for bringing this one up....will definitely read it : )

Blessings Always
Hi, wishingstar.  I was just attempting to avoid giving away too much so as not to spoil the ending for those who may not have ever read the story.  :lol:   But yes, it does have a murder-revenge plot.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions