By: Robert Collins, ctvbc.ca

Date: Saturday Mar. 19, 2011 12:58 PM PT

Let's not forget that when it comes to the latest wave of celebrity lunacy, Randy Quaid's paranoid exit from the United States set the trendsetting benchmark that Charlie Sheen and Colonel Gaddafi have shamelessly tried to follow ever since.

With the film work obviously drying up, Quaid's new venture is music. And for roughly six minutes Vancouver and The Commodore Ballroom became centre of the gossip world as the ‘Secret Guest' at The Town Pants' St Patrick's Weekend show strode on stage with his band, The Fugitives (stop, or my sides may literally split) and delivered his message of conspiracy theory gibberish through the ever-popular medium of song.

At first, it all seemed rather normal. Dressed in black and illuminated by a single overhead spotlight that made him resemble the equally tubby Colonel Kurtz from Apocalypse Now, Quaid introduced himself and his band, calmly explained that he and his wife had been through some trying times recently and started to sing. And strangely enough, it wasn't bad at all, as Quaid crooned his way through the type of torch song Johnny Cash embraced in his final years in a rich, melancholy baritone. Everyone was too shocked to register what the song was actually called, but the whole thing was so soft, restrained and sensitive, we all started wondering if Quaid was as crazy as he reputation had led us to believe.

As the final chord chimed, the stage lights came on and Quaid and The Fugitives launched into the future classic, Star Whackers.

Words are so ineffective compared to the videos that are now available on YouTube. Let's simply say that on the Rebecca Black Friday-o-meter of pop awfulness, this barked, tuneless, allegedly comic blast of c-list celebrity ranting scores an extremely healthy 9.3.

Quaid finished the song flat on his back, the victim of a musical assassination. And with that, the performance was over. Memorable only for its brevity and bizarreness, it'll certainly be one to tell the kids about. When they've been particularly badly behaved.

It turns out that there were actual musicians here that people had paid to see. The Town Pants are a Vancouver institution. They deliver beer-drinking music par excellence, Irish folkpunk, motored along by a persistent kick drum thump and a foxy violinist to keep the guys' attention when their energy begins to flag. All their songs are virtually identical and at their best, on high-speed blasts down Vancouver or Galway's memory lanes like The Old Landlord and The Boys of the Old Brigade, it's irresistible fun, perfect for The Commodore's springy floor.

At the Pants' finale they joyfully called the support acts on stage to join in with a rousing rendition of the folk classic, Good Night Irene. The Fugitives were all present, but Randy had left the building, the role of on-stage actor now played by Matthew Modine. Seriously. You couldn't make this up.

In an evening defined by collapsing celebrities and never-ending penny whistle solos, it would break the music writer's oath not to mention that the brightest stars of the night were the real support band, Mezamazing. This Vancouver nine-piece sound like Slipknot, had the masked maniacs grown up in a Turkish bazaar, never heard of heavy metal and chosen to arm themselves with accordions, flutes and sousaphones. At one point Mezamazing had fifty members of the crowd dancing arm in arm in a huge circle, with band and audience breaking the chain to bust dance moves in the middle. Genuinely, honestly, brilliant. They could and should be huge.

The night was never about music though. It was about oddness. And on that count at least, Randy Quaid delivered.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Here is a link to Randy Quaid's debut song about Star Whackers... his lyrics ring some truth; it reminds me of what MJ has to endure.... listen to his lyrics... interesting song.  He has been in the business for a long time I am sure he knows what is going on.

I don't think these actors are putting themselves out there for nothing.  Something underlying is happening in Hollywood and something is going to burst at some point.  The lawyers/accountants/cops/judges alot of them are dirty and I think it is time for some exposure of What is Really Going On!!! JMO
Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Andrea

Ya, it's very interesting!  Everyone thinks Randy is crazy but if they listened to the lyrics and opened their eyes they would realize he actually makes sense and is telling the truth.  The accompanying article persuades the reader to think Randy's out of it. "delivered his message of conspiracy theory gibberish through the ever-popular medium of song. "  :roll:
I say good for Randy Quaid, it's good that he doesn't let people forget why he had to get out of L.A., to save his own life.  I hope he's successful at whatever he decides to do here in Canada.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

suspicious mind

i don't know if there is any connection but this intrigued me when i heard about it.

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be shrewd as serpents and as innocent as doves."  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Why not just tell people I'm an alien from Mars? Tell them I eat live chickens and do a voodoo dance at midnight. They'll believe anything you say, because you're a reporter. But if I, Michael Jackson, were to say, "I'm an alien from Mars and I eat live chickens and do a voodoo dance at midnight," people would say, "Oh, man, that Michael Jackson is nuts. He's cracked up. You can't believe a single word that comes out of his mouth."

RK

I've been intrigued by Randy Quaid's story since I first read about it. It also helped that I  loved to laugh at his character Cousin Eddie in those National Lampoon movies. Reminds me of some bogan aussie relatives of mine.:? But I have not ruled out that Randy could be some offshoot of this hoax. As well as Charlie Sheen. Those lyrics spelled it out plain and clear. Catchy title that.. 'Star Whackers".  Another one to keep watching.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

gwynned

Quote from: "RK"
I've been intrigued by Randy Quaid's story since I first read about it. It also helped that I  loved to laugh at his character Cousin Eddie in those National Lampoon movies. Reminds me of some bogan aussie relatives of mine.:? But I have not ruled out that Randy could be some offshoot of this hoax. As well as Charlie Sheen. Those lyrics spelled it out plain and clear. Catchy title that.. 'Star Whackers".  Another one to keep watching.

If you're not a little crazy, you're not involved in this hoax......and that goes for us!  After all, it is a crazy idea to think that with enough faith and love one man can save the world.  And yet hear we are, glued to our front row seats watching the Greatest Show on Earth.

AND, I just loved that song!  Reminds me, like you, of Charlie Sheen's latest rap.  It feels like all the clowns are being released to sing their tunes of truth while they make us laugh.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

juliet

"I don't think these actors are putting themselves out there for nothing. Something underlying is happening in Hollywood and something is going to burst at some point. The lawyers/accountants/cops/judges alot of them are dirty and I think it is time for some exposure of What is Really Going On!!! JMO"

There's definitely something about Hollywood.I can't imagine how they go through each day with the thoughts of someone/something is out there to get you cause you know about it & the worst of all, you are the victim.And of course, if that someone tries to speak out -
1)they'll be branded crazy,
2)their properties/assets are taken from them,
3) & of course these bad people have to be sure that they wouldn't be able to get any job anymore/anywhere,
4) & there's the news that they have committed suicide or overdosed or died of heart attack.

So many lives have been used & abused,so many lives have been taken/wasted & for so manyyy times & manyyyy years everything in Hollywood is too sugarcoated.As MJ would say "You sell your soul to the devil".

This is the main reason that's why I believe that Michael is alive out there trying to do something about it behind the curtains.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

paula-c

[youtube:zwmcklpl]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_nBvoLK-9o[/youtube:zwmcklpl]
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

gwynned

I can't help but think it's all connected and reaches far and wide.  Just like in the domino scene in 'V', the fall of one domino, properly positioned, can cause the downfall of thousands of others.  Many connections that we haven't even touched on here.  Randy Quaid mentions Lindsay Lohan whom a recent hoax video tagged as the subject of Going Hollywood.  When it all is revealed, it will certainly shock the world.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

ROFL

Reminder to read this later ~
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If they could love like you and me, imagine what the world could be.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal