TMP - Michael and the Movies - Godspell
February 23, 2011, 04:02:12 PM
This is the First chapter of a new series by the Michealproject20 focusing exclusively on Michael Jackson's influence and involvement in Hollywood filmmaking during the past 40 years.

This thread specifically focuses on 1973 classic Godspell.

Parts 1 and 2 are posted below, other parts will be posted when available:

[youtube:2ofqboup]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prqOMhodghk[/youtube:2ofqboup]

[youtube:2ofqboup]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oL4Mt3tbwg[/youtube:2ofqboup]

As usual I found the videos very interesting, well made and full of very relevant information. I specifically made note of the following (But there is much more!):

- The film director is called David Greene.  David Greene also directed the 1962 Twilight zone film and the 1975 Count of Monte Cristo films (Refer to V for Vendetta).

- There are many references to Vaudeville Schtick in the Godspell movie.  This is not only a reference to the muppet show (Who have got their own Dodo by the way!) but also to a form of theatrical entertainment played at Vaudeville venues such as the Pantages theatres. (Hollywood tonight video)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

-The History of Bethesda Terrace in Central Park, a place frequently shown in Godspell and the parallels with Michael's This is it.  We know how often the water symbolism comes back in Michael's work.
The Reference to Bethesda Terrace in the Gospel of John: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

With L.O.V.E
Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"Let us dream of tomorrow where
we can truly love from the soul, and
know love as the ultimate truth at
the heart of all creation."

PureLove

• Hoaxer
  • View Profile
  • To die would be an awfully big adventure.
Re: TMP - Michael and the Movies - Godspell
February 23, 2011, 05:39:56 PM
WOW!!! Thank you so so much for posting these videos. I haven't seen them before. They are very interesting really. I need to find and watch all of these movies to get to my own conclusions as well. Thank you TheRunningGirl. :)
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

February 24, 2011, 12:23:42 AM
This is interesting and I'm looking forward to more in this series from TheMichaelProject.

Godspell does seem to have some Michael flavor to it  :D I noticed that it began it's off Broadway run at The Cherry Lane Theatre and then moved to the larger Promenade Theatre in New York City.

The Promenade Theatre is an Off-Broadway theater, which is actually located on 2162 Broadway, and was renovated from a Mormon church.

This reminded me of the TMZ article about MJ's latest video being produced for Hollywood Tonight...in front of the Pantages Theatre. The Pantages Theatre, formerly known as RKO Pantages Theatre, is located at Hollywood and Vine (6233 Hollywood Boulevard), Hollywood, California, in the United States of America.

Quote from: "TheRunningGirl"

- There are many references to Vaudeville Schtick in the Godspell movie.

The Pantages Theatre Circuit had been built on Vaudeville, and the new Hollywood theatre programmed first-run movies alternating through the day with Vaudeville acts for its first two years. But like other theatres during the Great Depression, it was forced to economize and thereafter operated primarily as a movie theatre, though live entertainment was presented occasionally.

Pantages sold the Hollywood landmark in 1932 to Fox West Coast Theaters. In 1949, Howard Hughes acquired the Pantages under his RKO Theatre Circuit and moved his personal offices to the building's second floor.

Past productions that have graced the Pantages (as part of Broadway in L.A.) have included: Peter Pan and The Wizard of Oz. There are numerous others but these of course jumped out at me.

It's late and I will have to look into this more, but I found the theatre connection intriguing, and of course the Howard Hughes link is just another coincidence I'm sure  ;)

Blessed to have been,
Touched By An Angel

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

February 26, 2011, 12:13:34 AM
In my last post I talked about the Pantages Theatre where MJ's video for Hollywood Tonight was being filmed. Today, Feb. 25th I run across this gorgeous shot of the front of the theatre that was supposedly sent from the Jackson Estate to the fan site called Mjnewsalerts.com

It is taken from a distance but the 7 big stars jump right out at ya! Also when P P and B were on the Good Morning America show with grandma today, Paris said she wants to try out for a play. Plays are usually in theaters (I know she said school play, but still) IDK, thought I'd share.

Touched By An Angel
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RunFaYaLife

February 26, 2011, 12:17:49 AM
hahahaaa Coolness!
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

March 14, 2011, 09:20:43 PM
Here are the following 2 videos in the TMP Godspell series.
TMP Writes" The continuation of Michael's connection and influence of this classic film. Also a revelation of why you are definitely witnessing a hoax and how Errol Flynn plays a major role in it."

1. Michael and the Movies: Godspell pt 3 Intro
[youtube:17ar1otz]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp6A9TcaBUE[/youtube:17ar1otz]

2. Michael and the Movies: Godspell pt 3 Conclusion
[youtube:17ar1otz]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mORvih7dWDw&feature=channel_video_title[/youtube:17ar1otz]

Some very interesting parallels with Errol Flynn that build on the previous series of videos:

The positioning of Canada (Vancouver/Toronto) as an alternative to Hollywood opens new perspectives!

With L.O.V.E
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

March 15, 2011, 01:42:59 AM
Thank you for sharing these. What I've seen so far is really interesting. Blessings!
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
I'm proud to be a child of God and a member of MJ's Army of L.O.V.E.

"Press coverage of my life is like [watching] a fictitious movie...like watching science fiction. It's not true." ~Michael Jackson (2005)

"You should not believe everything you read. You are missing the most important revelations". Craig Harvey 3-15-2012

March 15, 2011, 06:13:35 AM
There are many references to Vaudeville Schtick in the Godspell movie. This is not only a reference to the muppet show (Who have got their own Dodo by the way!) but also to a form of theatrical entertainment played at Vaudeville venues such as the Pantages theatres. (Hollywood tonight video)

Did the Muppets have a dodo?  I can only remember a bald eagle, his name was Sam if memory serves but it was a very long time ago so maybe I'm wrong.  Was there a dodo too? Had too much coffee this morning, methinks, my mind's in overdrive thinking about all the Muppets characters now LOL :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream.  And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.

March 15, 2011, 02:49:29 PM
Quote from: "trustno1"
There are many references to Vaudeville Schtick in the Godspell movie. This is not only a reference to the muppet show (Who have got their own Dodo by the way!) but also to a form of theatrical entertainment played at Vaudeville venues such as the Pantages theatres. (Hollywood tonight video)

Did the Muppets have a dodo?  I can only remember a bald eagle, his name was Sam if memory serves but it was a very long time ago so maybe I'm wrong.  Was there a dodo too? Had too much coffee this morning, methinks, my mind's in overdrive thinking about all the Muppets characters now LOL :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

A Dodo made some guest appearances in the muppets show:

The Dodo is a goofy bird who appeared in episode 415 of The Muppet Show. He interrupted Anne Murray on her signature song "Snowbird," and helped her finish the song after exchanging some bird puns.
The dodo also appeared in the 1996 film Muppet Treasure Island.

Reference: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

All nicely connected!  :)

With L.O.V.E
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

March 15, 2011, 03:17:31 PM
Aha! Thanks so much for that RunningGirl, you made my day! :D
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream.  And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.

March 18, 2011, 06:04:45 PM
Quote from: "trustno1"
Aha! Thanks so much for that RunningGirl, you made my day! :D

My Pleasure Trustno1!  :D

The Dodo shares a quiet beach with Macca in Mauritius (Treasure Island) and would most probably get an invite to Lamb Island if too many celebrities decided to "escape the Game" and move to Treasure Island.

1. Lamb Island
Uri Geller purchased Lamb Island in Scotland in late 2008/2009. He said he hoped to win permission to search for the Egyptian treasure which he believes could be buried there. His theory is that Princess Scota, the sister of Tutankhamen, was exiled there after fleeing Egypt 3,000 years ago, and she may have left gold and jewels behind.
Short extract from an article "Why I Bought Lamb Island" by Uri Geller published on 2009-02-12 6:46 on Uri Geller Website. Reference: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Television presenter and world-famous mystifier Uri Geller revealed today that he is the new owner of a mysterious and enigmatic island claimed to be one of the Great Pyramids of Scotland.
Lamb Island, a volcanic outcrop in the Firth of Forth north of Edinburgh, is one of three rocky outcrops which mirror the layout of the Pyramids at Giza, near Cairo in Egypt.
"This island has links not only to the pyramids, but to King Arthur, King Robert the Bruce and to the ancient Kings of Ireland too. It might seem forbidding, and it is certainly uninhabitable, but it is also one of the keystones to British mythology, and I am thrilled to be its owner."
According to research published by a historical investigator named Jeff Nisbet, in the magazine Atlantis Rising, in September 2002, there are three crucial Templar sites in the UK: the village of Temple, Rosslyn Chapel and the Isle of May. This last is believed by some Arthurian scholars to be the real location of Avalon, the island where King Arthur was laid to rest and await his return as the Once and Future King.

2. Escaping the Game
Lindsay Lohan is to help celebrities fake their own death in upcoming film.
Extract from LINDSAY LOHAN TO HELP CELEBRITIES FAKE THEIR OWN DEATH IN UPCOMING FILM published on X17 online on 2/28/11
We're told Escaping The Game is about celebrities that make it famous very quickly and can't handle every day life. As a result, they must fake their death to move and live on a hidden Island along with other celebrities that have faked their death in the past.

We may also have to be sent to an Island to escape the Game!  :lol:

With L.O.V.E
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

March 18, 2011, 06:44:19 PM
In the Michael and the Movies: Godspell pt 3 Conclusion (Renamed to part 4 on Youtube), it is very interesting to see how closely Conrad Murray's plea mirrors Captain Blood's (Errol Flynn - 1935 film).

Captain Blood - Start at 7:45 on the video

Captain Blood: "It is entirely innocent I am"
Court Spokesman: "Are you guilty or not guilty, you must use the right words"
Captain Blood: "Words is it? Oh! Not Guilty"

Conrad Murray - start at 10:15 on the video

Conrad Murray: "Your Honour, I am an innocent man, I therefore plead not guilty"

Errol Flynn seems to have been a great source of inspiration for Michael!

With L.O.V.E
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

March 24, 2011, 04:38:07 PM
Michael and the Movies: Godspell - pt. 5

Another excellent and thought-provoking video in the TMP's Godspell series:

[youtube:2jqalvef]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SstcueYQblQ[/youtube:2jqalvef]

TMP20: "In this part, the focus continues on Errol Flynn's influence on Michael and the classic 1973 film 'Godspell' and how the legend of Robin Hood, one of Flynn's greatest roles set the stage for the 'hero' persona for both men and women."
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

March 26, 2011, 08:41:29 PM
Thank You for posting mjintrigue2012.  Those videos are definitely thought provoking, you are right!

The "Robin" connection was interesting:
 - Robin Roberts is shown interviewing Janet in the video but she is also the one who interviewed Katherine and Michael's Children on GMA. (And lately led to Chris Brown breaking a window! )
- Conrad Murray is also a "Robin" as he is Conrad Robert Murray
- The Rockin' Robin song has some interesting connections. It was first sang by Bobby Day (Not to be confused with Robert Day  ;) ) in 1958 and by Paul Anka in 2005. It was Michael first single.

The Thriller connection with the thriller "He knows you're alone" (Edgar Lansbury directed it - Same director as Godspell) was an eye opener! Also an inspiration for "You are not alone"!

I also really liked the Canadian connection in the previous video and with Janet very recently signing a film deal with Lionsgate entertainment, a company formed in Vancouver, the connection does continue! I even wondered when watching the video whether the O2 announcement may have been filmed in Canada rather than London! Who knows!  

Food for thoughts!

With L.O.V.E
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

March 28, 2011, 12:25:40 AM
Thankyou for your comments TheRunningGirl.

I think that the "robin" might also correlate to Michael in a spiritual way.  I first wanted to understand what the symbology of the "robin" is:

Robin, Power Animal, Symbol of Growth and Renewal

Robin's medicine includes understanding the power of song, happiness, guide in the wisdom of change, growth, renewal.

Robins have a powerful significance in ancient myth and lore. One tale has its origins in European mythology, in which the bird of Spring is linked with the New Year and symbolises divine sacrifice and the rebirth of the spirit.

Medieval Europe lore often depicted the robin attending the Christ child, an emblem of the Passion to come. The tiny robin flew to Jesus' Crown of Thorns, striving bravely to pluck the thorns away with his beak. Unfortunately, the bird only tore his own breast on the thorns. Since then it was thought that robins wore red feathers on their chests as a badge of honour.

The robin is a bird of divine service. Robin people often have past life ties to the Christ energy and would make excellent missionaries or priests.

Robins are good parents like many birds are. One facet of this power animal their ability to nurture themselves into true adulthood. This is signified by the robin's red breast - it symbolizes the activation of creative energy, inciting growth. This is also linked with the Robin's traditional connection to spring - the season of renewal. When we let go of our past - a lot of which stems from childhood experiences - we are refreshed and renewed, thus unburdened and free to nurture and serve ourselves as well as others. If the robins gifts have not been learned and utilised correctly, you will be continually challenged by the prospects of change with difficulties cropping up as well as emotional disharmony. Let go of the past…move on……

If there is an abundant food supply, robins will live the year-round in an area. This can show us that when our heart and soul feels gloomy and cold, we are able to thrive if we possess sufficient inner strength, courage and trust. Therefore, the robin is an especially good ally to have through the winter months.

One part of growth is learning how to deal with conflict in a mature manner. Male robins immersed in territorial disputes sing to each other. This trait upholds the creative aspect of this bird's energy. To become truly mature, we have to learn to trust our intuition and our unique creative expressions.

Robin will incite new growth in all areas of your life, areas that have become stagnant and out-dated. You must believe in yourself as you move forward for if you do, barriers will disappear, and confrontations will be for show only. Robin will show you how to do this with joy in your hearts. Their song is a happy one, reminding you to let go of your personal drama and learn to laugh with life.

The robins eggs are powder blue. This colour is associated with the throat chakra in man and is also linked to heavenly inspiration. As the throat chakra's main function is use as an expression of All That Is and the egg is symbolic of new life, you will be taught how to express yourselves positively in all you do. You will be lead to new beginnings without fear by restoring trust in yourself and your soul. Meditate on Robin and the right path will be shown to you.

The red colour on the robins chest is linked to the kundalini in man. This is the life force that resides coiled up within the base of the spine. When sufficient spiritual growth has been reached, it uncoils and moves up the spine to create heightened awareness. This will enhance psychic vision and leads us to enlightenment. If robin is your guide, you will most probably be a dedicated spiritual seekers. Although growth can be slow and testing, with patience, compassion and proper focus spiritual ideals will be fulfilled.

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions