MJ tells Teddy: "We're going to shock the world"
December 18, 2010, 06:45:03 AM
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Up jumps Jacko
Nui Te Koha from: Sunday Herald Sun December 18, 2010 6:32PM

MICHAEL Jackson was planning a revolution. "I hope you're ready," Jackson told producer Teddy Riley. "We're going to shock the world."
Riley was ordered to be in London from July, 2009, where Jackson had sold out 50 shows at the O2 Arena.

"I was supposed
to go to London for three weeks to work with him in the studio," Riley says.

"Michael was hungry. He wanted to do those shows so badly. He told me once he did the first week of those concerts, he would be ready to cut a record."

Riley had not written anything specific for the album.

"I made music on the spot with Michael and this (London session) would be no different," Riley says.

"I knew his style. We would write at the piano, demo, and retest it to see if it was worth completing.

"For Michael, I got everything to the finish line, to a point where it was ready for the streets."

A few weeks after the conversation, Jackson shocked the world - though, not the way he had planned. He died of a heart attack on June 25, 2009.

This month, a posthumous album, Michael, was released.

It features 10 songs Jackson recorded with unknown collaborators in 2007.

Some are unused songs from Jackson's Thriller (1982) era. Another is a duet with Akon, recorded in Las Vegas three years ago.

Riley, who Jackson nicknamed The Finisher, brings his production sheen to Michael's demo quality songs and sketches.

"My job was to get the feel and sound of the album to what Michael would have expected," Riley says.

"His expectations were all about the music. Michael would want this album to be great musically and sonically it must slam."

Indeed, Riley gets Jacko's groove back on a new song, Hollywood Tonight.

But, elsewhere, on cuts like Monster and Breaking News, the source material is too weak to be saved.

The tracks, co-written with unknown producer Eddie Cascio, are way below par. Eddie is the son of Dominick Cascio Sr, a former manager at a New York hotel frequented by Jackson in 1984.

Jackson befriended Cascio, his wife, Connie, and sons, Eddie and Frank, and regularly stayed at their home in New Jersey. In 2007, after a three-month stay at the Cascio home, Jackson recorded 12 songs with Eddie.

"They were his surrogate family," Riley says. "He lived with them when he didn't have anything to do. When Michael wasn't busy he would go straight to their home and stay."

Eddie Cascio, now 28, was three when Jackson came into their lives.

"Eddie has been studying Michael, the music and the chords, since he was a kid," Riley says.

"Michael advised him and mentored him. As Eddie grew up, he grew into making music.

"Eddie showed Michael some tracks he had. Michael liked them. And they started writing together."

But the Cascio co-writes are charmless and predictable. Both wallow in complaints about paparazzi and everybody wanting a piece of Jackson.

It gets worse. On Monster, Jackson sang his vocals through a PVC pipe.

"You use what you have and it becomes history," Riley says.

Riley says Jackson used a low-cost Shure microphone on Wanna Be Starting Something, the opening track on Thriller.

"Now that's a cheap microphone," Riley says. "But he sang into that and the music industry couldn't believe it. But it became famous and everybody began using Shure."

Asked if Michael is up to standard of previous Jackson albums, Riley answers: "I think it is. All of Michael's albums were innovative. But they were all different from each other."

Riley says Eddie Cascio is in the same spot he was when Jackson asked him to oversee the 1992 album, Dangerous.

Riley followed Off The Wall, Thriller and Bad, all produced by Quincy Jones.

"How do you follow Quincy?" Riley asks, laughing.

"But you have to remember - Michael is the one who co-signed these new songs. Michael is the one who put his pen to it. Michael is the one who put his vocals on it."

Michael is out now.
Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"If you enter this world knowing you are loved and you leave this world knowing the same, then everything that happens in between can be dealt with.” - Michael Jackson

Lady J

Well, first he believes that he´s alive and now he´s talking like he´s dead.  :?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

2good2btrue

• Hoaxer
  • View Profile
  • FORGIVENESS IS THE KEY TO YOUR HAPPINESS
Quote from: "Lady J"
Well, first he believes that he´s alive and now he´s talking like he´s dead.  :?

Not necessarily....I think he just emphasised the fact that he was planning something really big....

He is afraid that he could get into serious trouble, if he keeps saying MJ is alive...he has to protect himself.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"Revolution" and "shocking the world" is far beyond what would have been caused by the O2 concerts,IMO
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

....The 02 shows were never going to happen.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Quote from: "Sinderella"
....The 02 shows were never going to happen.

I agree - there is no way they could have moved that production from LA to London and be ready by the first concert. Not to mention there were other acts booked for the same time and they weren't canceled.  I know there are other factors too but this is what continually goes through my mind. I also agree that the 02 concerts wouldn't have "shocked the world". However, death sure did! Blessings :)
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
I'm proud to be a child of God and a member of MJ's Army of L.O.V.E.

"Press coverage of my life is like [watching] a fictitious movie...like watching science fiction. It's not true." ~Michael Jackson (2005)

"You should not believe everything you read. You are missing the most important revelations". Craig Harvey 3-15-2012

Andrea

Well I certainly think the world will be shocked when Michael comes back.  The entire planet will be his audience and if he has a revolution planned, he could succeed.  I think we're already in the start of this revolution - people are becoming more aware and awakened the world around them and not just blindly believing everything the media tells them.

The title of this article is interesting, to say the least - "Up Jumps Jacko"...
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

I like it! Thanks for posting. A shock to the world leading to a revolution - Hopefully the Revolution of LOVE! Go MJ..  :D
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
"Imagination is more important than knowledge" ~ Albert E.

I think he's just creating controversy. I hope I'm wrong.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

bec

This has been my Facebook quote for a year:

Now he was going to get it all back--at any cost. Quite simply, MJ refused to lose. "I'm going to get them," the embattled singer told Teddy Riley in late 2008 of his plans for a spectacular return.
"I'm going to shock the world, just watch."

I shortened the original passage to make it fit in the box requirements for posting at the time. I wonder if I could find the original article again.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Are you entertained?

2 Bad

Yeah!
You go Teddy! Shock the world MJ!!!

You can vote on that link too.

"Should Michael Jackson's estate be releasing posthumous albums?"
It is at 73% -Yes
        26% -No
Take it higher folks!
We want/LOVE Michael music!
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

I believe some of the Teddy's quotes used in this article are old. They seem familiar.
Just like the "we are going to shock the world" announcement was before. Besides, Michael did not die from heart attack. "Heart attack" version is old, was a possible cause of death at the beginning. This article is bogus.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
EndlesslovetoMJ

PureLove

• Hoaxer
  • View Profile
  • To die would be an awfully big adventure.

Somewhere Teddy said that Michael liveS for controversy and so he does. So probably Teddy is trying to create a controversy too.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

PureLove

• Hoaxer
  • View Profile
  • To die would be an awfully big adventure.
I don't think that MJ wanted to mean his "death" was going to be a shock for the entire world. His sudden "death" shocked the FANS and his loved ones, family, friends etc. Non-fans didn't care about his "death" and haters became so happy. BUT a RESURRECTION from Death would SHOCK the World, every single person on this earth and I believe that, that's what he is going to do to SHOCK THE WORLD. C'mon Michael we're so ready to see how the world gets shocked by the King!  :mrgreen:
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Quote from: "PureLove"
I don't think that MJ wanted to mean his "death" was going to be a shock for the entire world. His sudden "death" shocked the FANS and his loved ones, family, friends etc. Non-fans didn't care about his "death" and haters became so happy. BUT a RESURRECTION from Death would SHOCK the World, every single person on this earth and I believe that, that's what he is going to do to SHOCK THE WORLD. C'mon Michael we're so ready to see how the world gets shocked by the King!  :mrgreen:

I agree with what you say except that there are plenty like myself who admired MJ but didn't give him much thought nor did we follow his life before June 25, 2009. Haters are certainly going to still call him crazy when he returns unless he has good enough reason to win over even the hardest of hearts. So, in my mind there are two shocks. The first one was a tremor to feel for the pulse (June 25, 2009) and the second is going to be the explosive jolt to the heart (future unknown). I'm anxiously waiting...and praying. Blessings :)
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
I'm proud to be a child of God and a member of MJ's Army of L.O.V.E.

"Press coverage of my life is like [watching] a fictitious movie...like watching science fiction. It's not true." ~Michael Jackson (2005)

"You should not believe everything you read. You are missing the most important revelations". Craig Harvey 3-15-2012

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal