Dec 17 2010 10:19 AM EST 1,535
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

'Step Up 3D' Director Jon Chu Recalls Cast's Tribute To Michael Jackson

'We all danced to Michael on the dance floor,' director says of King of Pop, who died while film was being shot.

By Jocelyn Vena (@jocelyn1212)  

Jon Chu has become the go-to man for all things dance. And with the DVD for "Step Up 3D" hitting the streets on Tuesday, Chu is opening up about what it was like to direct the flick. He reveals that when Michael Jackson, who had such a major influence on modern dance, died during the making of the film, Chu and the cast and crew felt they had to pay homage to the King of Pop.

"I remember particularly the House of Red Hook [scene] just because [we shot it] the day after Michael Jackson passed away and Michael had a huge impact on every single dancer," he told MTV News. "I would say literally 99.9 percent of our dancers would say Michael is the #1 influence in their life and he passed [while] we were shooting and everyone was so upset.

"Literally it shook us all, and the next day we were gonna go shoot the Battle at Red Hook. And so we got there and it was like there was an energy that was very stale and weird and nobody knew how to act," he continued. "And so we just started playing Michael, first thing in the morning for like 15 minutes. We all danced to Michael on the dance floor. It was one of those beautiful moments."

While fans relive all the fun of the film in the comfort of their living rooms, Chu reminds them to check out the extras on the DVD. "The stuff that we really shot behind-the-scenes, in a way it's a real documentary about the dancers in our movie," he said. "We tried to squeeze as much as we could in the movie, but of course there's only so much you can get in, so for the DVD, you get to see it all and you get to really know the dancers."

Wade Robson should take note. Variety reported on Friday (December 17) that the choreographer will direct the fourth installment in the franchise, with Chu on-board to executive produce the Miami-set flick. The film will shoot in 3-D next summer.
Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

You rocked my world, you know you did
And everything I own I give
The rarest love who\'d think I\'d find
Someone like you to call mine

"Let us dream of tomorrow where we can truly love from the soul, and know love as the ultimate truth at the heart of all creation."
------Michael Jackson

Those who go beneath the surface do so at their peril. --Oscar Wilde

Quote from: "darkchild"
Dec 17 2010 10:19 AM EST 1,535

'Step Up 3D' Director Jon Chu Recalls Cast's Tribute To Michael Jackson

'We all danced to Michael on the dance floor,' director says of King of Pop, who died while film was being shot.

By Jocelyn Vena (@jocelyn1212)  

Jon Chu has become the go-to man for all things dance. And with the DVD for "Step Up 3D" hitting the streets on Tuesday, Chu is opening up about what it was like to direct the flick. He reveals that when Michael Jackson, who had such a major influence on modern dance, died during the making of the film, Chu and the cast and crew felt they had to pay homage to the King of Pop.

"I remember particularly the House of Red Hook [scene] just because [we shot it] the day after Michael Jackson passed away and Michael had a huge impact on every single dancer," he told MTV News. "I would say literally 99.9 percent of our dancers would say Michael is the #1 influence in their life and he passed [while] we were shooting and everyone was so upset.

"Literally it shook us all, and the next day we were gonna go shoot the Battle at Red Hook. And so we got there and it was like there was an energy that was very stale and weird and nobody knew how to act," he continued. "And so we just started playing Michael, first thing in the morning for like 15 minutes. We all danced to Michael on the dance floor. It was one of those beautiful moments."

While fans relive all the fun of the film in the comfort of their living rooms, Chu reminds them to check out the extras on the DVD. "The stuff that we really shot behind-the-scenes, in a way it's a real documentary about the dancers in our movie," he said. "We tried to squeeze as much as we could in the movie, but of course there's only so much you can get in, so for the DVD, you get to see it all and you get to really know the dancers."

Wade Robson should take note. Variety reported on Friday (December 17) that the choreographer will direct the fourth installment in the franchise, with Chu on-board to executive produce the Miami-set flick  :?  :idea: . The film will shoot in 3-D next summer.

Hello !!!!

Did you saw the trailer???? :shock:  :o  8-)
OMG the trailer is awesome and I noticed some intresting things there :shock:.The green lights on their chests,MARVEL(Stan Lee ?)the big hand on the floor ,the masks and the red lights like the swords from STAR WORDS(remember Blanket on youtube???  :shock: )

[youtube:1s9h1jlm]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89TLbK6o-og[/youtube:1s9h1jlm]

[attachment=2:1s9h1jlm]73341734998393645203943.jpg[/attachment:1s9h1jlm]

[attachment=1:1s9h1jlm]green-lantern-movie-posters-ryan-reynolds.jpg[/attachment:1s9h1jlm]

[attachment=0:1s9h1jlm]Smile-michael-jackson-11206131-337-600.jpg[/attachment:1s9h1jlm]
TII/death connection with X-Factor (Marvel) - Madrox

Nice to see that so many people are influenced by Michael's work. I am very proud that finally more and more people have the guts to addmit that Michael is the BEST  8-) !!!!.Maybe Justin Bieber was right after all  :o  :D .None of them would be here without Michael!!!! :lol:

Justin Bieber thanks Michael Jackson at 2010 AMAs Full Video
[youtube:1s9h1jlm]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvBfDL1smhs[/youtube:1s9h1jlm]
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

I saw Step Up 3d and I liked it so much.... I must say that when the movie started well I was speechless because was the same beginning like This Is It...with the interviews of the dancers and what influences them   :D  and then the dance moves and so on :D
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

O.K GUYS I COULD BE CRAZY HERE...BUT..LISTEN TO THE VOICE AT 1:21 doing the commentary...I know that voice...and soo do you guys..listen to it carefully please...OMFG!!! :o  :D please tell me I'm not crazy!
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Quote from: "thepeacock2012"
O.K GUYS I COULD BE CRAZY HERE...BUT..LISTEN TO THE VOICE AT 1:21 doing the commentary...I know that voice...and soo do you guys..listen to it carefully please...OMFG!!! :o  :D please tell me I'm not crazy!
It's Moose.... and sounds like Mike yeah :D
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Quote from: "Red_Rose"
Quote from: "thepeacock2012"
It's Moose.... and sounds like Mike yeah :D
Yeah they make it look like he is talking, but then at the end when he says a few words I can tell that the voice is totally differ.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions