Jame Broughton - This Is It Poem
November 10, 2010, 10:01:58 PM
That meeting with "Hermy" prefigured the cavalcade of mystery, imagination, sexuality, danger, humor, and transformation that would mark the 23 books and 23 films Broughton produced in a life laced with travel, teaching, self-analysis, and rich and prickly friendships.
    This is It
    and I am It
    and You are It
    and so is That

and He is It
    and She is It
    and It is It
    and That is That
    —"This is It"
His work is quintessentially Californian – exploring and engaging the polar frontiers of wildness and civility, male and female, body and spirit-- with the crash of Pacific Ocean waves echoing throughout. "Ultimately I have learned more about poetry / from music and magic than from literature," he wrote.
Before he died, he said, "My creeping decrepitude has crept me all the way to the crypt." His gravestone in a Port Townsend cemetery reads, "Adventure – not predicament."
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 10:10:33 PM by starlight30
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Re: Jame Broughton - This Is It Poem
November 10, 2010, 10:05:42 PM
"James Broughton's creation myth, THIS IS IT, places a 2-year-old Adam and a bright apple-red balloon in a backyard garden of Eden, and works a small miracle of the ordinary. And since that miracle is what his film is about, he achieves a kind of casual perfection in matching means and ends." - Robert Greenspun, The New York Times

This Is It - 1971 - 10 minute film short - Experimental Cinema
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions