*Mo*

Lobbyists Use MJ's Death to Restrict Propofol
September 20, 2010, 02:22:26 AM
about a minute ago by TMZ Staff  

Michael Jackson's death is Exhibit A for California lobbyists who are pushing for a law restricting the use of Propofol.

Michael's Law is being pushed by a group of people ... all of whom have lost loved ones to the misuse of Propofol. They've been going door-to-door in L.A. and Santa Barbrara -- handing out leaflets that describe the drug and how it killed MJ.

Their goal is "to prevent doctors from making careless choices, and stop them from administrating drugs that should not be administered outside of the hospital setting."

The Drug Enforcement Administration just announced it's considering tighter restrictions on Propofol.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Re: Lobbyists Use MJ's Death to Restrict Propofol
September 20, 2010, 02:56:06 AM
I have always wondered if some part of this was all done to bring down dirty doctors.  The docs in Hollywood that are supplying drugs.  I think Michael was very affected by James Brown's death.  Perhaps that was a turning point.
BTW- where did this picture of MJ come from?  It's interesting with that award (?) and doll case (?) in the background.......the case reminds me of the doll/toy display we saw at the Encino house.  Wonder what the award(?) is from....it's a pyramid (lol) TMZ uses some interesting photos!
Thanks for the post Mo!

Blessings Always!
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

September 20, 2010, 03:06:50 AM
never seen that picture before either. wow, i honestly didn't know propofol was so heavily abused.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Yeah we're all wonderful, wonderful people
so when did we all get so fearful?
and now we're finally finding our voices
so take a chance, come help me sing this

September 20, 2010, 03:26:07 AM
very interesting indeed.

BTW, the picture comes from MJ Capitol Hill visit as a guest of congresswoman Sheila Jackson-Lee in March 2004. He discussed with members of Congress his commitment to fighting the epidemic of AIDS in Africa.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

September 20, 2010, 06:32:14 AM
"Michael's Law"??

This is interesting... i had the impression that the use of Propofol outside hospital settings was practically unheard of before Michael Jackson, and now TMZ is reporting that there were more deaths related to Propofol misuse..?

not sure whether to take this article seriously, but it's good that there's a closer inspection of docs and drug-misuse.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

trublu

September 20, 2010, 06:34:29 AM
"Michael's Law" Love it!

Anyone know where that photo's from?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

September 20, 2010, 06:40:18 AM
Quote from: "trublu"
"Michael's Law" Love it!

BTW, the picture comes from MJ Capitol Hill visit as a guest of congresswoman Sheila Jackson-Lee in March 2004. He discussed with members of Congress his commitment to fighting the epidemic of AIDS in Africa.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

trublu

September 20, 2010, 06:41:37 AM
Quote from: "ForstAMoon"
"Michael's Law" Love it!

So sorry! Missed that!  :oops:

Thanks for pointing it out. :)
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GINAFELICIA

• Hoaxer
  • View Profile
  • Playing it safe is the riskiest choice.
September 20, 2010, 06:44:28 AM
The photo get my attention too. The pyramid, the doll and Michael's look. And of course Michael's Law  :lol:
Just look into his eyes, the eyes of the man we never knew.
Usually TMZ posts a photo in a corner, not  a whole picture of Michael. Could this mean something ? I think yes, but don't know what yet.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

trublu

September 20, 2010, 06:51:10 AM
Quote from: "GINAFELICIA"
The photo get my attention too. The pyramid, the doll and Michael's look. And of course Michael's Law  :lol:
Usually TMZ posts a photo in a corner, not  a whole picture of Michael. Could this mean something ? I think yes, but don't know what yet.

Also I have noticed that they normally post him with sunglasses on with something reflected in them. I know, I am losing it. :lol:
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

September 20, 2010, 06:51:55 AM

There are apparently some references to "Michael's law" out there, one example is "driving while intoxicated" in New Jersey You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
but I have no clue whether there is any link here or TMZ is just calling Propofol proposed restrictions Michael's Law :?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GINAFELICIA

• Hoaxer
  • View Profile
  • Playing it safe is the riskiest choice.
September 20, 2010, 07:06:27 AM

Also I have noticed that they normally post him with sunglasses on with something reflected in them. I know, I am losing it. :lol:

Yes, this time we see his eyes, he knows we want to see his eyes, even if he looks great with sunglasses  :D

This direct look maybe tells us he's closer to us than usual :?  ?
Anyway, he looks like he's watching something with interest and a little amused
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

PJ4MJ

September 20, 2010, 07:56:18 AM
There's only one other story on this out there so far that I've found (as of 5:40 am California time), and their source is, of course, TMZ:

"A group of campaigners, who have all reportedly lost loved ones to Propofol, are calling for "Michael's Law" and are handing out leaflets in Los Angeles and Santa Barbara, California urging residents to join their bid "to prevent doctors from making careless choices, and stop them from administrating drugs that should not be administered outside of the hospital setting."

I live in San Diego and will be watching the news for any mention of Michael's Law.  Like Jukebox, though, I question the face value of this.  I find it hard to believe there are enough people (just in the LA area) who have lost loved ones to Propofol outside of a hospital setting that they can form their own group.  TMZ hasn't reported what the name of the group is, either.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

*Mo*

September 20, 2010, 08:03:50 AM

Alt text: 0623-mj-getty-ex-01.  
File name and location: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

TMZ always uses the date they (plan to) publish and article in the file name and alt text, but I can't find this pic in their archives.  I'd like to know what article they planned to publish on June 23 (of whatever year), and why they decided not to.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

PJ4MJ

September 20, 2010, 08:05:48 AM
Quote from: "*Mo*"
about a minute ago by TMZ Staff  

Michael Jackson's death is Exhibit A for California lobbyists who are pushing for a law restricting the use of Propofol.

The Drug Enforcement Administration just announced it's considering tighter restrictions on Propofol.

Hardly - See this CNN article from July 15, 2009:

The Drug Enforcement Administration said Wednesday it's considering tighter restrictions on propofol, a drug reportedly found after Michael Jackson's death in the Holmby Hills, California, mansion he rented.

"We were petitioned and have been been looking into it for the past two years," said DEA spokesman Rusty Payne, who added in response to a question that the inquiry had not been affected by the singer's death of cardiac arrest on June 25.

The agency is looking at designating the sedative as a "scheduled" drug, which would tighten restrictions on the its distribution and use.

Payne said he could not divulge anything related to the Jackson investigation, "but I can tell you that researchers making the decision about propofol would typically be interested in any information that would help them answer questions about the effects of propofol and its potential harm to the user."

Propofol, known by the trade name of Diprivan, is administered intravenously in operating rooms as a powerful anesthetic and sedative.

Payne said concern about the drug's potential for abuse led to the petition. But, he added, "as far as we know, this is not something that's been highly abused."

Payne said he did not know who had sought the change, adding, "Typically we would not make that public."

The process required to get a drug scheduled is a lengthy one, involving a number of agencies, he said.

"Lots of experts weigh in on questions such as potential for abuse, pharmacological effects, history and current patterns abuse," he said.

Nutritionist Cherilyn Lee has said Jackson pleaded for the drug as a sleep aid, despite being told of its potentially harmful effects.

And sources close to Jackson told CNN that the insomniac singer traveled with an anesthesiologist who would "take him down" at night and "bring him back up" during a world tour in the mid-1990s.

The Associated Press and The Los Angeles Times, citing unidentified sources, have reported that police found Diprivan among Jackson's medicines.

Officials have said that the exact cause of death and whether drug use may have been involved will not be determined until after toxicology tests are completed, which could be several weeks.

On Monday, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention issued a health advisory, saying two lots of a generic version of the drug had tested positive for endotoxin, a contaminant. The drug maker, Teva Pharmaceuticals, voluntarily recalled the lots. No fatalities were reported.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions